Draft Needs & Projections

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Becton & AVT
With Carter Warren as the swing
Can always sign Jonah Williams in FA
Becton is the NFL leader in allowed sacks by a LT, and he hasn't even played every game. And he is injury prone and may be taken by another franchise dumb enough to show him the money. AVT has been seriously injured in the last two seasons playing tackle, and many feel it is only fair to let him play guard and see if his durability improves. If we are drafting seventh, the pick should be Joe Alt, assuming Fashanu is gone. We need to protect the blind side of our 41-y-old limited mobility HOF QB. Ideally we replace Tomlinson who is the sack leader in HIS position, let him play out his contract as 'depth'. The only reason the guys on the right aren't sack leaders as well is that nobody has played long enough to compile a number.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Becton is the NFL leader in allowed sacks by a LT
he is playing next to a veteran turnstile Laken Tomlinson, can not blame only Becton whereas Laken has not picked up his assignments properly.

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
he is playing next to a veteran turnstile Laken Tomlinson, can not blame only Becton whereas Laken has not picked up his assignments properly.
But but..... Carter Warren said what a great experience it was to play next to Tomlinson and respond to his line signals:

'When I say jump, kid, get out of the way of those nasty dudes charging towards you'.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Becton is the NFL leader in allowed sacks by a LT, and he hasn't even played every game. And he is injury prone and may be taken by another franchise dumb enough to show him the money. AVT has been seriously injured in the last two seasons playing tackle, and many feel it is only fair to let him play guard and see if his durability improves. If we are drafting seventh, the pick should be Joe Alt, assuming Fashanu is gone. We need to protect the blind side of our 41-y-old limited mobility HOF QB. Ideally we replace Tomlinson who is the sack leader in HIS position, let him play out his contract as 'depth'. The only reason the guys on the right aren't sack leaders as well is that nobody has played long enough to compile a number.
Actually he has given up the most sacks of all lineman, regardless of position.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Becton has been just as bad at passing off his responsibility or picking up Laken's man, in fact he has been worse. Becton looks absolutely lost this year. There has to be at least 5-6 plays a game where hi is literally doing nothing. Just standing there watching the play. I know you have always backed Becton,but this season he had been Beyond bad. He has been the biggest liability on the line . Finally he is managing to stay on the field,but his play is terrible

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Didn't we hire Keith Carter to fix this damn O line? Last year was abysmal and just like that, this year we are worse!

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
In year 5 of the JD era, this team has just as many holes as it did when he started.
I don't believe that to be the case. The various issues that have plagued the team since Rex's early years have largely been addressed. We used to not have any viable CBs. Now we do. A #1 WR. An actual pass rush.

There are holes, but there's no way there are as many holes as there were.

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't believe that to be the case. The various issues that have plagued the team since Rex's early years have largely been addressed. We used to not have any viable CBs. Now we do. A #1 WR. An actual pass rush.

Yeah but the trouble is that the biggest holes are on O line. Without an offensive line you have nothing, as we have seen.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Yeah but the trouble is that the biggest holes are on O line. Without an offensive line you have nothing, as we have seen.
Oh, absolutely agreed.

The thing is, some of the pieces are there. AVT is legit when he's healthy. He had two freak injuries to different parts of the body. The rest of the line essentially has been a MASH unit. And some moves, like Tomlinson, have not worked. But a healthy AVT and Tippman are a good start. Mitchell could be a good depth piece. I'd look to bring in a starting OT and G in free agency, and draft another OT early.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics

I think there are just as many holes just at different positions.
The D was great and our o line was also great.
As a group the WR corp was better. No Wilson but the overall unit was better. Cromartie and Revis were more than viable, unfortunately Mangold got old fast, Brick decided he wanted to sleep in and not get up to play football anymore and the GM couldn't draft players that were PS worthy...

Last edited:

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

Yet we don't have any more wins than when he took over. This is the slowest rebuild in the history of the NFL. Took over after 7-9. And we ain't hitting 7 wins this year. JD's peak was last year. Fans wax his balls that he hit a home run with one draft. Winning is what matters and instead of building a team he built a defense. The offense has Wilson and maybe Breece. The rest of the offense is terrible. Maybe not as many holes, but at best he plugged 5 holes in 5 years.

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Yet we don't have any more wins than when he took over. This is the slowest rebuild in the history of the NFL. Took over after 7-9. And we ain't hitting 7 wins this year. JD's peak was last year. Fans wax his balls that he hit a home run with one draft. Winning is what matters and instead of building a team he built a defense. The offense has Wilson and maybe Breece. The rest of the offense is terrible. Maybe not as many holes, but at best he plugged 5 holes in 5 years.
Yes, the Jets have it a*se-about-face. First you build your O line, then you add playmakers. Then you get your QB, who you can now fairly evaluate. Finally you beef up your defense to produce a team capable of championship contention.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Yes, the Jets have it a*se-about-face. First you build your O line, then you add playmakers. Then you get your QB, who you can now fairly evaluate. Finally you beef up your defense to produce a team capable of championship contention.
Problem is, JD has been building the O Line for going on five years now! Most teams fix their O line's in one offseason, yet here we are 4 seasons later with an O line that is worse than when he showed up. At this point it seems pretty certainly that he is incapable of getting the job done.

Retired AFA

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
I don't see JD taking an OT in the Draft as it's deep in WR's. He'll franchise Becton, sign Turner and Greg Van Roten to fill out the starters along the O'line.

beresford

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't see JD taking an OT in the Draft as it's deep in WR's. He'll franchise Becton, sign Turner and Greg Van Roten to fill out the starters along the O'line.
Van Roten is a Pro Bowl candidate this year according to nfl.com.

Are we allowed to tag Becton as a right tackle or does he get to choose his position?

KenO'B

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Van Roten is a Pro Bowl candidate this year according to nfl.com.

Are we allowed to tag Becton as a right tackle or does he get to choose his position?
Is he really?
Seriously?

Fucking hell, he was like a saloon door when he lined up in our OL

MiJetFan

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
IMO JD has to trade. Plain and simple the Jets need to acquire a 2nd rounder. I'm crossing my fingers that one of the QB'S falls and the Jets can make some moves in what could be a draft that is deep at their need positions. I'm not saying trade out of the 1st, but more picks are needed.
I would love to trade down and acquire a 2nd and pick later in the 1st. We will see.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
IMO JD has to trade. Plain and simple the Jets need to acquire a 2nd rounder. I'm crossing my fingers that one of the QB'S falls and the Jets can make some moves in what could be a draft that is deep at their need positions. I'm not saying trade out of the 1st, but more picks are needed.
I would love to trade down and acquire a 2nd and pick later in the 1st. We will see.
Trading the 10th pick will have no value. They had a chance to compete for 5th or better pick.