Fear The Walking Dead "Cobalt" Episode Discussion (SPOILERS)

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's episode of Fear The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

"Cobalt" was clearly an allegory of war. The whole episode from start to end was an extended metaphor of political unrest and civil war. These symbolic representations have been gradually revealing themselves from the series premiere and it looks like all hell is going to break loose in next week's season finale.

When the show first premiered, I took issue with the show's pacing, but I realize now, one week away from the season finale, that the buildup was necessary. The show opened with a singular walker attack and with that the fundamentals of society began to unravel. First it was with the individual, then the family, followed by the community, and in tonight's episode with the government and society itself. As each layer was peeled away, characters have had to make life altering choices, sacrifice morals, suspend ethnics and the law for the sole purpose of survival.

And in the end, no truer words have been spoken that "when civilization ends, it ends quickly," and with the revelation of what cobalt is, it seems that we have finally reached the end...

So what is cobalt? Apparently it's an evacuation protocol for the military to abandon their posts leaving everything and everyone not government affiliated behind to die and rot away.

I knew I was right to be weary last week about the government's involvement with the outbreak. The medical personal at the makeshift hospital compound seem to know a lot about the infected and the disease that has decimated L.A. but how? Dr. Exner knew to shoot the recently deceased patients in the head so that they won't turn and they know what symptoms to look for in those potentially infected. These military officials definitely know more than they're letting on.

Speaking of dead patients, we have finally had our first victim bite the dust on FTWD. Poor Griselda died after going into septic shock due to having her leg amputated. Liza of course had to put a bullet in her head after learning about the zombification process from Dr. Exner. This will not bode well for her, when Daniel finds out. That dude is one scary motherfucker and quite possibly the best part of tonight's episode. I could tell that he wanted nothing more to protect his family and be reunited with his wife after all his talk about escaping his own war torn country due to political unrest. Nice juxtaposition writers, I see what you did there. Knowing that he would never see his wife again, even after capturing and torturing a soldier for information was simply devastating. It reminded me of the Beth storyline on TWD. Just so sad.

There seems to be a new mysterious character on the show who we were introduced to at the compound. What we do know is he seems to understand what this apocalypse really is and he's super rich. He might also be a good guy since he helped save Nick from being quarantined, but he seemed a little to chummy with some of the military officials, so the jury is still out.

Easily the worst part of the episode had to be the scenes of Alicia and Chris playing dress up while destroying the neighbor's house. Seriously WTF? Her brother and his mother were taken. I could think of so many other things they could be doing.

Here endeth my vent. What did you think about tonight's episode of Fear the Walking Dead? What do you think will happen in next week's finale? Talk the walk! Walker 2

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
well [MENTION=116]TeachDown[/MENTION] i'm off today so I binge watched episodes 2 to 5..

your breakdown of "colbalt" is by far my favorite of all your breakdowns i've had the pleasure of reading teach.. your insight matched with your writing skills are amazing!!

I definitely have enjoyed FTWD with "colbalt" being my favorite.. man was it dark!!

I want to watch it again (tonight) before i share my thoughts though..

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
[MENTION=45]jetgreen13[/MENTION] wow! Thanks for the kind words. I'm really passionate about FTWD and TWD. Can't wait to hear your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
[MENTION=45]jetgreen13[/MENTION] wow! Thanks for the kind words. I'm really passionate about FTWD and TWD. Can't wait to hear your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i took away a few things from "colbalt.." kirkman was on record saying government/military involvement would be minimal.. LOLz he was definitely honest about that & it worked for me teach.. the comics/TV TWD has always been based on the idea, us the reader/viewer we're never meant to know what the "cause" is.. it's also why the sudden 9 day gap between episodes 4 & 5 made sense to me as well.. as in, yes we had to address at least some form of military involvement but not a moment more than need be..

the premise of "good" & "bad" in FTWD seems like it will be more subjective than with our survivors on TWD.. the show feels more sinister & dark than the original, even down to the jump scare sound effect intro..

daniel is my favorite character so far.. he's like a really dark version of herschel, who if you remember was/is my favorite character on TWD.. wise, composed, dignified & LOLz even their speech cadence is similar!!

but getting back to the sinister nature of FTWD in contrast to TWD.. look how quickly madison was in lock step with daniel & his "methods??" rick didn't get that kind of memo until what?? "nebraska" in the middle of season 2??

i also said to you before that if the writers/actors can get us to the season 1 finale wanting season 2, job well done.. IMO, they have..

i just hope they give us more than just the walkers breaking or being released from the arena & the end credits roll.. LOLz i wouldn't be shocked though..

Johnny Unite Us

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
I don't understand how military personnel with automatic weapons can be overtaken by walking dead people whose only weapons are their teeth.

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
I don't understand how military personnel with automatic weapons can be overtaken by walking dead people whose only weapons are their teeth.
because when a person dies, be it natural causes, tragic accident or other wise they turn into walkers unless the suffer major brain trauma..

people die a lot..

Johnny Unite Us

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics

because when a person dies, be it natural causes, tragic accident or other wise they turn into walkers unless the suffer major brain trauma..

people die a lot..

Yeah, but they have automatic rifles, unlimited ammo - and they've already figured out that you need to shoot them in the head. So, why go charging into a building full of zombies when you can have a squadron outside and just pick them off?

Just open one door and then shoot them as they file out of the building.

Rick and Glenn can kill like a hundred zombies with a pocket knife and a Phillip head screwdriver, but the military gets overrun by them?

Am I missing something?

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
Yeah, but they have automatic rifles, unlimited ammo - and they've already figured out that you need to shoot them in the head. So, why go charging into a building full of zombies when you can have a squadron outside and just pick them off?

Just open one door and then shoot them as they file out of the building.

Rick and Glenn can kill like a hundred zombies with a pocket knife and a Phillip head screwdriver, but the military gets overrun by them?

Am I missing something?
suspended belief??