Fear The Walking Dead "The Dog" Episode Discussion (SPOILERS)

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
SPOILER ALERT! If you haven't watched tonight's episode of Fear The Walking Dead, don't read any further!

"The Dog" was in my opinion, the best episode of Fear The Walking Dead thus far and it was mainly because of the character development. I'm starting to understand the characters and what their motivations are. The writers use the impending apocalypse and gradual collapse of civilization to reconstruct what it means to be a family.

When Civilization Ends, It Ends Quickly| and boy does it ever. Looting, destruction, power outages, and death. Lots and lots of death. And in the middle of all that? A family tries to survive:

A Debt Owed| Travis, his son, and his ex-wife encounter the Salazars after they sought refuge in their shop. When they are forced to run, Daniel's ailing wife gets her leg crushed but is ultimately saved by Travis. This doesn't sit well with Daniel who doesn't like to be indebted to anyone. With no where to go, the Salazars become an extension of Travis's family. The writers are setting up these two characters as polar opposites with opposing viewpoints on how to keep their respective families safe in this new unknown world. Daniel seems like the type of father who is willing to sacrifice all his morals to protect his family at all costs even if that means killing. He views Travis and his family as weak and claims "good people are the first to die."

A Tale of Two Wives| The dynamics of the traditional family unit becomes blurred when Travis has to contend with not one wife but two. The tension in that household is awkward to say the least, but the two women meet a mutual understanding that they must put their differences aside in order to protect their children. Madison agrees and asks Elizabeth, Travis's ex-wife, to kill her if she ever becomes infected.

It's An Awful Day in the Neighborhood| Madison's desire to be put down if she ever becomes infected is due to witnessing her neighbor, Susan, who babysat her children, become a walker. Travis claims she's just sick and needs help but Madison's son, Nick, knows she's dead. This causes Madison's daughter, Alicia, to freak out that her boyfriend is also undead. By the end of the episode several neighbors and a dog have met their untimely demise.

The Calvary Has Arrived| "and now we're safe" claims Travis after the militia descends on their home to take out poor neighbor Susan, just as her husband Patrick returns home. The family witnesses Susan's execution and wonders what the government's role is in all of this. Madison is cautious but also curious about the military in particular who have taken Patrick into isolation after being exposed to his dead wife's blood. Even though the family thinks the military presence will provide safety, Daniel thinks that "it's already too late."

The Dog| It's not an apocalypse unless the dog gets it, or in this case eaten. What's even more unsetting than the dog's death is what it signifies. Typically dogs are supposed to add happiness to a family but a dead dog? that's just a bad omen. The dog's death in this episode could foreshadow a dismantling of family, which doesn't bode well for our new blended L.A. family.

We Are Family|How will our new blended family fare as survivors? Only next week will tell.

What did you think of tonight's episode? Talk the walk. Walker 2

jetgreen13

founding JFU member..
Jet Fanatics
i'm gonna check it out tomorrow & read your breakdown a nanosecond after i do!!

very happy to hear you feel the show is gaining traction [MENTION=116]TeachDown[/MENTION]..

TeachDown

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
i'm gonna check it out tomorrow & read your breakdown a nanosecond after i do!!

very happy to hear you feel the show is gaining traction [MENTION=116]TeachDown[/MENTION]..

Did you get a chance to watch it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Show just keeps getting better and better. I see plenty of friction ahead inside this group as thing continue to deteriorate.

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That episode , Imo,
Was on par with any of TWD episodes
I'm digging Madison
Travis taking out the garbage LOL
image.jpg

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Still haven't seen it but I want to! I'll crank up my dvr before watching any games today. There's nothing I hate than waking up early on Football Sunday's. Maybe it's listening to the pregame shows.