Hassan Reddick hold out

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Big question mark regarding Riddick, will he show up for camp. He was traded due to contract demands and it appears that we picked up those demands in the trade. He is seeking a multi year deal at $28 -$30 million per year..
According to Saleh he has had no communication with Riddick since the trade.
Not a good situation considering he is supposed to be a main piece of the defense this season.
Then there is the impact on next year's roster if he does get a new deal. 4 of 5 o line need to be signed or resigned. The 22 class is eligible for new deals and cap space is limited to say the least.
JD should have negotiated this before the trade .
Hopefully he shows up next week for mini camp, he already forfeited his quarter million work out bonus. This could get messy if he doesn't.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Big question mark regarding Riddick, will he show up for camp. He was traded due to contract demands and it appears that we picked up those demands in the trade. He is seeking a multi year deal at $28 -$30 million per year..
According to Saleh he has had no communication with Riddick since the trade.
Not a good situation considering he is supposed to be a main piece of the defense this season.
Then there is the impact on next year's roster if he does get a new deal. 4 of 5 o line need to be signed or resigned. The 22 class is eligible for new deals and cap space is limited to say the least.
JD should have negotiated this before the trade .
Hopefully he shows up next week for mini camp, he already forfeited his quarter million work out bonus. This could get messy if he doesn't.

I agree for sure. This is both a sticky situation and one that I'm surprised wasn't dealt with during the trade. Maybe it isn't a problem. We can hope. There are lots of players that don't show up for the voluntary stuff. As I recall, Rogers, before he came here, was one of those. We knew he was looking for a long term deal but I just didn't expect it to show up this soon. I'd say it's time for JD to resolve the issue if there is one and respond to the rumors before it gets blown up by the media.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Lets see if he shows up for camp. Right now it's all been voluntary, if he holds out from camp then it's a conversation.

MiJetFan

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
He's probably going to hold out. If He does, will He even play a down for the Jets? Holding out on a 1yr deal with a new team isn't smart imo but will they even try to sign Him? I think they go to reasonable lengths but I don't think they will break the bank for this guy, even if He holds out.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If he holds out I would let him just sit and rot especially if you don't have to pay him. He will be 30 years old at start of season. And then 31 at the start of next season after sitting on the bench for a year. If I'm JD, give him an extra year and thats it.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
He's probably going to hold out. If He does, will He even play a down for the Jets? Holding out on a 1yr deal with a new team isn't smart imo but will they even try to sign Him? I think they go to reasonable lengths but I don't think they will break the bank for this guy, even if He holds out.
I agree the Jets like to break the bank with guys that play four plays in a year

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
The team has some levers to pull. Now the daily fine for missing camp is up from $30k to 50K. Players are victims of bad decisions historically from agents to themselves. These guys get visits during camp on how to keep a check book, doubt if many will soon be guests on Shark Tank.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
The team has some levers to pull. Now the daily fine for missing camp is up from $30k to 50K. Players are victims of bad decisions historically from agents to themselves. These guys get visits during camp on how to keep a check book, doubt if many will soon be guests on Shark Tank.
Holding out is the smart move by him. With zero guaranteed money this year, an injury cost him $14.5 mill, plus potentially future earnings.
I expect JD to compromise and do something creative like convert his salary to a signing bonus,with league minimum salary this year and 2-3 future years that become guaranteed on a certain date just prior to OTAs. Giving him guaranteed money and flexibility for the franchise going forward. He is essentially expected to replace Huff and JFM. The contract dispute was well known prior to the trade. Douglas must have been willing to negotiate or the trade should not have happened.

Last edited:

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
Holding out is the smart move by him. With zero guaranteed money this year, an injury cost him $14.5 mill, plus potentially future earnings.
I expect JD to compromise and do something creative like convert his salary to a signing bonus,with league minimum salary this year and 2-3 future years that become guaranteed on a certain date just prior to OTAs. Giving him guaranteed money and flexibility for the franchise going forward. He is essentially expected to replace Huff and JFM. The contract dispute was well known prior to the trade. Douglas must have been willing to negotiate or the trade should not have happened.
I believe you're right Tony. Everyone knew he was looking for a new deal and JD must have had an inkling of how he was going to deal with it at the time of the trade. He needs to get it done quickly because, as I suspected, the media is having a field day with it. Mostly because they don't have a lot of interesting things to report at this time of year. JD needs to shift into a higher gear and get the deal done before it becomes a bigger distraction than it already has.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Mandatory mini camp starts today, so this is going to become a story if he's a no-show. I agree with you that JD should have had something in mind before making the trade. Moving the salary to a signing bonus and working out a deal with void years should be on the table.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
Mandatory mini camp starts today, so this is going to become a story if he's a no-show. I agree with you that JD should have had something in mind before making the trade. Moving the salary to a signing bonus and working out a deal with void years should be on the table.
He is a no show.
Rodgers is too , unexcused absence.
I believe Rodgers is a non story, but the media will run with it!

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
He is a no show.
Rodgers is too , unexcused absence.
I believe Rodgers is a non story, but the media will run with it!

You hit the nail on the head here Tony. Rogers had something personnel that he wanted to attend and the Jets were aware of it early on. So definitely a no concern issue. Haasson is a different story because he is trying to get the contract he wants. Personally, I don't believe that skipping these training periods was necessary to accomplish that. I say that for a couple of reasons. One I believe that JD will accommodate him in some way soon. Second I don't believe that he would miss any of the regular season. It wouldn't make sense for him to sit out the season if you think about it. He wouldn't be any younger at the end of the season which takes away some of his value. Not playing for a season won't increase his value either. So he would have to compete with the rest of the other free agents for a job next season. Even as good as his skill set rep is he might still not get the kind of deal he's looking for and quite frankly it probably wouldn't be with a defense as good as this one. I believe he will come through for us. It's to his advantage to do so. And, of course, the media is going to blow it all out of proportion. That's what they do.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You hit the nail on the head here Tony. Rogers had something personnel that he wanted to attend and the Jets were aware of it early on. So definitely a no concern issue. Haasson is a different story because he is trying to get the contract he wants. Personally, I don't believe that skipping these training periods was necessary to accomplish that. I say that for a couple of reasons. One I believe that JD will accommodate him in some way soon. Second I don't believe that he would miss any of the regular season. It wouldn't make sense for him to sit out the season if you think about it. He wouldn't be any younger at the end of the season which takes away some of his value. Not playing for a season won't increase his value either. So he would have to compete with the rest of the other free agents for a job next season. Even as good as his skill set rep is he might still not get the kind of deal he's looking for and quite frankly it probably wouldn't be with a defense as good as this one. I believe he will come through for us. It's to his advantage to do so. And, of course, the media is going to blow it all out of proportion. That's what they do.
Reddick has already foregone a $250K workout bonus and now can be fined for missing mandatory camp. I'm assuming he expects to make this all up in a new deal, but for the life of me, I don't understand why their agents insist that they hold out. Show up, participate in the meeting rooms, do your playbook studies, go through the walk throughs, and just tell the organization you are holding out of physical participation pending a new deal as your current deal is unguaranteed and provides no protection from injury.

This shows you're a team player, and allows the team to work with you on a deal without the constant eyes of the media all over it.