Official Game Thread: Jets @ Panthers

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
New York Jets
Youth has been the rip current below the surface of the Jets' activities all offseason and preseason. And after more additions and subtractions to the 53-man roster today, youth rose up and took control of first-year head coach Robert Saleh's first news conference with reporters less than a day after final cuts were announced.

"We're probably going to have eight rookies starting or being major, major contributors on this team — nine, if you include the kicker," Saleh told reporters as he surveyed his new and evolving roster. "Challenge accepted, in terms of this coaching staff is excited to get their hands on them, and you're going to see tremendous growth as the year goes on."

With the departure of Austin, who started 16 games at RCB in 2019 and '20 combined, Saleh was asked who was at the head of the pack for the starting role on the outside opposite second-year LCB Bryce Hall.

"To be determined," he said. "You can talk about all four of 'em."

By all four, Saleh was referring to three rookies in draft choices Brandin Echols and Jason Pinnock and undrafted free agent Isaiah Dunn and second-year man Javelin Guidry.

As to how soon the Jets would want to name that starter, Saleh said, "We're good waiting till the last minute. We kind of have an idea where it's going to go, but at that corner spot, it's about confidence, being in rhythm, so we're just giving those guys the chance to compete."

That competition can thus go on the rest of this week and all next week before Saleh and the Jets begin their regular season at Carolina on Sept. 12.

Regarding whether the Jets feel the urgency to produce for their followers, Saleh replied of the fan base's input, "It's appreciated, obviously. We embrace the urgency at which everybody wants to win. But at the same time, that can't affect your decision-making for the long haul of the goal of winning championships for extended periods of time.

"Always with rookies and a youn team, there's going to be growth because there's going to be so many 'aha' moments. But what you'll see is a group of young men that will play their absolute tails off. They'll run, they'll hit and they'll be excited to play this game."

Carolina Panthers
This is a full-on revenge game for Sam Darnold. Now he has a further-along system, coaching staff, and receiving corps to back him up, not to mention a reunification with another former Jet in Robby Anderson.

I'm very interested to see Robert Saleh's defense in its first game under his control. He and the Jets' defense could cause a lot of issues for Darnold.

But looking at the bigger picture, taking into account the revenge factor as well as each team's future schedule,

Atljet60

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
All that youth and inexperience on the field gives the organization a built in excuse for year long struggles. It also suggests patience which is fighting words for the diehard Jets fans. At least they are doing it their way. The successful organizations have continuity throughout their staff which implies way too much turnover here for too many years. This team has been gutted out, capital and draft pick wise. The winning format is now in place which is build internally, try to compete to win, with the big picture always taken into consideration. We have cap money and a high number of picks to use. Can't do it all in a year, but I like the direction for once. The media will hype anything for a story. The real story is how this organization is constructing a competitive team of good character players with speed and obsession for the game for years to come.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Sam was certainly given a better team around him than the Jets provided for him. Better line, better receivers, McCafferty and the like.
Looking back, the only good call Gase made was not wanting to sign Bell (which at the time I was thinking it was a bad call) which Gase proved correct. Bell seemed to try, it was his year off in a contract squabble that reduced his output efficiency on the field.
News at 11.

Northlaker

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
IMO, the Jets are not going to win this game or most games UNLESS they are aggressive offensively, This doesn't mean attempting 30 yard pass play every other play, but by NOT playing cautious or safe play calling.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
Carolina is in tom bradys division which means they will suck. it's been that way for 20 + years. the only time he had a good team in his division, was last year and look what happened to Drew Brees because of it. this year will be no different , why would it, so therefore, I believe we win this game and will be disappointed if we don't.

Sam is again behind a bad o line so things shouldn't change there either

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
This is amazing!!! I've wanted the Jets for years now to go with more of a younger roster type fit and let them grow together to being a true contender, (except for the bonafide veteran starters that can't be denied like Mosely or Maye) but it's never really happened. Not like this, from what I can remember and now Saleh and JD are doing it. Great part is they have young players that appear to have a clue and can contribute in a major way immediately.

Zach, Vera-Tucker, Becton (Big Tank), Carter, T. Johnson, Perine, Moore, Mims, Yeboah (hopefully he's resigned to the active roster), Q. Williams, Huff, Hall, Jackson, Nasirildeen, Carter II, Echols, Sherwood, Dunn, Guidry, Cashman, Pinnock and A. Davis. I'm sure I'm missing a few. Then you have the vets that still in their prime like Mosley, D. Davis, C. Davis, Fant, Moses, Lawson, Maye, Fatukasi, McGovern, Crowder, Cole and Coleman. I'm sure I've missed a few.

As far as this game is concerned, super pumped and a dog fight it will be. I definitely see the Jets winning this one. This pressure type game will be to much for Sam to handle.

Last edited:

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
the best thing is we have a really good core on defense...

Q., Foley, Rankins, JFM, Sheperd on the DLine
C.J. Mosley at linebacker
Maye and Joyner in the secondary allows the youth at Corner to take chances...
Last year Hall proved his willing to be a well rounded corner...
Guidry showed his intensity along with his speed...
As much as Brandin Echols impressed this regime, Guidry might get some time on the outside while they draft M.C.II for the nickel...
Will be interesting but what I heard that M.C.II is listed as one of the kick returners...

On offense all starts up front, the line needs to gel and establish the run game... LaFleur will draw up good passing plays to accentuate Wilson's ability and allow him to grow with the offense...

We finally have a kicker...
Our punter is coming into his own...

Let's Get It!!!

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
the single most important aspect of the game for the Jets to contain is the CAR running game - force 3rd downs and hope Q Williams has multiple reunions with Sam. Do that and I think they give the D a fighting chance to get enough stops to win. If all they do is allow Sam to hand the ball off, game over for Jets.

on the other side - I see them asking Zach to just move the chains but maybe throw in a couple downfield throws. Of course we can't predict ad lib plays so I can't really incorporate them into any analysis, but that's always the underlying 'X' factor when the QB has his arm talent.

I think we see the continuing relationship of Zach to Davis flourish. He is my early prediction for team MVP on offense this season.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
I'm really looking forward to watching the 4 rookies on offense (Zach, AVT, Moore and Carter). Such promise that will grow throughout the year. Can't wait!

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
look I know Sherwood looked rough behind the ears against the Eagles...
but no C.J. Mosley in that game no Marcus Maye in that game, no Q, Rankins or Foley as well not worried on how this defense will be ready to shut down McCaffrey... After Christian is running in reverse (negative yards) then Sam Darnold will be ripe for the picking (literally)...

offensively like we saw in the Packers game, they will have a proper game plan for Zach(NOT Zack) Wilson to take advantage off the run game...
not sure if Tevin will play but with Ty Johnson and Michael Carter in the backfield we have two solid RBs...

I can't believe I can say this
WE HAVE A KICKER

Atljet60

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
It's somewhat difficult for me to gauge where this team is without witnessing the scheme they intend to implement on game day. All we know are the basics. We want to run the ball on offense. We want to establish pressure from the defensive front. It will be interesting to see what adjustments are made when either one stalls. We can't have many low scoring games because in those the margin for error is slim. Scheme can hide some deficiencies on the back end but it removes players out of areas normally contained. If we don't get the QB to hurry his throw will our corners hold up on their end? If the run game stalls on offense will Zach Wilson and weapons get in the endzone and not have to settle for Fg's? What about red zone efficiency? How about third downs? Special teams? Coaching? There are so many unknowns.

It calls to mind identity and will. Some teams can line up, defenders know what's coming, and still can't stop it. We now have to play with deception. Formation looks like one thing, but it's not. Everyone studies film. So quite a bit of creativity comes into play. Do we have enough?

Sure I'm optimistic as many of us are. I just have to see for myself. In my 50 plus years of following this team I'm not about to quit. I would just be pleased to watch meaningful Jets games in December without having to follow draft placement for the following year.

Carolina I've read has issues on their OL. That should favor us, in theory. Our backs should match up well against their LB's. They are going to want to run the ball too. Can we contain that? Not to mention our secondary against their receivers. It's hard to predict opening games. Our D has to get off the field on 3rd downs. Most players will be gassed late game. No way to simulate that in practice or camp. And injuries, well I rather focus on other things. Mikey, please save some things for NE.