Official Game Thread: Jets @ Panthers

Atljet60

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Zach Wilson’s NFL career starts with a tough first test: The Carolina Panthers defense
“It was strange; the defense we played was a different alignment than most teams you’re going to see in the league. A lot of dime personnel, a lot of 3-3-5-kind of sets of weird fronts and just really making it hard on your run game.”

Those were the words of Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, one of Zach Wilson’s role models. Appearing on The Pat McAfee Show, that’s how Rogers chose to describe the Carolina Panthers’ defense after he found himself sacked five times in a tough Week 15 outing last December.

Despite winning the game, Rodgers arguably had the most subpar performance of his MVP season, completing 20 of 29 passes for 143 yards and a touchdown.

The reasons for the performance are well described in one of Rodgers’ postgame quotes: “The Panthers defense is confusing; they rotate a lot and do things that are not normal in the NFL.”

Despite playing the majority of their snaps in a Jets familiar scheme (Cover 3), per Matt Bowen, below, Carolina’s defense is far from vanilla and won’t be anywhere similar to what Wilson has seen in practice.

Showing five deep pre-snap, for example, is something that’s seldom seen anywhere in the NFL, besides Carolina (so is having 3-3-5 as base personnel).

It’s safe to say, then, that Wilson’s first real test will be, at least, a complex one. While it’s hard to predict the degree of difficulty the Panthers defense is going to present Wilson and company, 2020’s tape is critical to understanding the core principles of Carolina’s defensive coordinator Phil Snow, who enters his second year in the role.

After watching the entire game vs. the Packers, I separated my breakdown into two areas:

The initial drive of the game, when the Packers countered the Panthers’ aggressiveness and exotic pre-snap looks with quick screens and hard-nosed rushing.
After that, I broke down the five times Rodgers was sacked and how the Panthers’ defense managed to do it.
The point is pretty simple and obvious here: The Jets must avoid obvious passing situations as much as they can on Sunday.

How Zach Wilson can beat a tough Panthers defense | NY Jets Film

Last edited:

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
She's been wearing Jet Green proudly for a long time, and can't wait for the new season to start.
1631277206924.png
Later

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
Guys, in truth, Carolina is not good and we ruined Sam. We should expect to win this. Does anyone doubt that brady has both of his Carolina games circled on his calender with this :rofl2: next to them

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Not many QB's have been handed a worse situation than Sam. Hopefully we don't fuck this QB up too.
Of course I don't know this and I'm only guessing here but Sam definitely seemed like he was shelled shocked by all the hits and pressure. It took it's toll and he just wasn't the same in year three as he was in his first or at the end of his second year. In both those occasions he showed some promise. Erratic at most times but showed some promise nonetheless. Year three it appeared he just had nothing left to offer. My problem is not every down was he throwing from his back or running for his life. He did have time on occasions but very rarely did anything with it.

This is why I'm assuming by his third year it didn't matter anymore, he didn't quit on the team but he was in that shelled shocked, happy feet zone and couldn't recover from it. Didn't help that he had HORRIBLE COACHING AND NO REAL WEAPONS TO THROW TOO. This time will obviously be different for Zach. JD is in his second year and had time to get this team together for the rookie. Both in the CS and offensive weapons. Young, veteran and otherwise, Zach has weapons that Sam could only dream of with this team.

So hopefully Zach makes the most of it to the positive! Definitely seems that he will. All gas, no brakes baby! Let's go! J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The Jets have placed S Sharrod Neasman on injured reserve and elevated S Adrian Colbert and LB Del'Shawn Phillips from their practice squad for Sunday's game at Carolina against the Panthers.