Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

J

Jet Setter

Yeah, really. He's owed 3.8M coming off a broken leg and the team having just signed two QB's yesterday.

I'd wait this out. No one else is going to swing this trade.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
the texans were also trying to trade andre johnson up until the point they cut him.

at the most, i give them the 7th we got from the bears. but macc can just play chicken and wait for houston to cut him. i can't imagine the market for fitz will be huge, the jets have the money to spend, and we have the OC he played well under.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
Yeah, really. He's owed 3.8M coming off a broken leg and the team having just signed two QB's yesterday.

I'd wait this out. No one else is going to swing this trade.
Would anyone else sign him ???? Just saying ..maybe they want to get him and relax....instead of more negotiations..piece of mind...

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
the texans were also trying to trade andre johnson up until the point they cut him.

at the most, i give them the 7th we got from the bears. but macc can just play chicken and wait for houston to cut him. i can't imagine the market for fitz will be huge, the jets have the money to spend, and we have the OC he played well under.

Just get him and take a deep breath..less pressure overall

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just get him and take a deep breath..less pressure overall

but why waste a draft pick. we are already down our 5th (marshall) and 6th (harvin). we do have an extra 7th (part of marshall trade).

so right now, it's 1, 2, 3, 4, 7, 7

i wouldn't want to needlessly trade a pick for a player everyone in the universe knows is gonna be cut.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
PLUS what if he wants a guarantee to start somewhere....

i don't think there is a team in the nfl that would guarantee him a starting job. he can compete for a job with the jets and probably a few other teams. our trump card is chan gailey, the OC that helped him get a huge contract.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
but why waste a draft pick. we are already down our 5th (marshall) and 6th (harvin). we do have an extra 7th (part of marshall trade).

i wouldn't want to needlessly trade a pick for a player everyone in the universe knows is gonna be cut.

I dont think a 7th round pick is worth the gamble..everyone wants a veteran in camp...who then..Matt Moore if the Jets dont get him...

J

Jet Setter

I'm with you. A couple of high 7th's. Keep 'em. I'd think a draft guru like Mike would covet such picks into developmental and depth positions to build his new team.

Worst case scenario is Matt Moore is still out there and like you said, who's going to outbid us on the market for Fitz?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I absolutely think it's worth dealing a seventh, or at the very least swapping a higher seventh for a lower one, to ensure you get Fitzpatrick. When he gets cut, you have no idea what could happen.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I guess Fitz would be a good stop gap for a season. He is familiar with Gailey system and is still an upgrade over Geno!! Keeping the pick would seem to make sense since we are already down a 5th & 6th but in all honesty we had 12 picks last season and most of them didn't even make the team.

nycdan

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
I think it's more about keeping the existing contract intact. His two-year deal runs through the end of this season so the Jets get a one-year trial without any money committed beyond 2015. If he is cut, they have to sign him to a new deal and he might hold out for a 2 or 3 year deal. For a 7th, I think it might make sense to bring him in this way.