Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Not for nothing but what's the possibility of bring Vick back for another season if we miss out on Mariota?

J

Jet Setter

and BTW..if it was a 7th..it is really borderline an 8th with all the comp picks not handed out yet...

Are you sure? I thought we had Chicago's 7th in addition to ours. We pick 6th, they pick 7th. Those are high 7th's, not low. I know posters are equally divided over this pick being dangled, but let's be clear on the actual position of the pick.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
What and please don't! He is 32 and a journeyman wash out. Bad part about it is he is probably better then Geno right now. I say probably with alot of caution because I dont believe he is. I rather them wait it out and let the Texans cut him first. If not Mariota then they will draft a QB in the later rounds. Overall, I'm hoping Mariota is still in play. If not then Geno will just have to fight it out with Fitzgerald and the rookie for starter.

He'd be a great mentor. He is incredibly smart, played for Harvard, and he knows Gailey's system.

What I would do, assuming Mariota is gone, is pick a QB later (Petty, Grayson, Mannion), and have Fitzpatrick hold down the fort while grooming both Geno and the drafted QB. If Mariota's there, you still can use Fitzpatrick to groom him.

He's a great fit for a team trying to find a young franchise QB.

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I know he is mediocre..WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE ?

If we dont get him I don t want to hear bitching next year if Geno struggles..all for a late round pick...what do you think would be more important to the Jets next year..him..or some 7th round pick...

I just feel Fitz is a JAG (just another guy) QB.
I do like the fact his best performance was under Gailey but I still think we should wait for his release.

But lets keep in mind there is a reason he has been on 5 teams and now looks like he will be released by his current team.

J

Jet Setter

He'd be a great mentor. He is incredibly smart, played for Harvard, and he knows Gailey's system.

What I would do, assuming Mariota is gone, is pick a QB later (Petty, Grayson, Mannion), and have Fitzpatrick hold down the fort while grooming both Geno and the drafted QB. If Mariota's there, you still can use Fitzpatrick to groom him.

He's a great fit for a team trying to find a young franchise QB.

Have you seen those QB's this year? It's a bad QB class. And we have given away our 5th and 6th already possibly to be followed by another 7th.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Have you seen those QB's this year? It's a bad QB class. And we have given away our 5th and 6th already possibly to be followed by another 7th.

I have seen them, yes. But what are the Jets supposed to do? Sometimes, good QBs emerge from bad QB classes.

To me, it makes all the sense in the world to bring in Fitzpatrick to keep the seat warm and groom Geno and a drafted QB, seeing which younger QB develops the best, and then handing over the reins. If neither is worthy, then you pick a QB next year.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
I just feel Fitz is a JAG (just another guy) QB.
I do like the fact his best performance was under Gailey but I still think we should wait for his release.

But lets keep in mind there is a reason he has been on 5 teams and now looks like he will be released by his current team.

He is a JAG..but a serviceable one....with the evolving defense..at this point..I just want a guy thats not going to sabatoge us w turnovers

Machina Verde

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I have seen them, yes. But what are the Jets supposed to do? Sometimes, good QBs emerge from bad QB classes.

To me, it makes all the sense in the world to bring in Fitzpatrick to keep the seat warm and groom Geno and a drafted QB, seeing which younger QB develops the best, and then handing over the reins. If neither is worthy, then you pick a QB next year.

+1
We need another QB and his completion percentage is higher than any QB we've had for a while. He's smart and capable and he will have a ton of weapons. I agree its not a name that inspires awe or even excitement but its a smart move, and a cheap one.

U

ucrenegade

The Geno we saw in game 16 could. I don't think erratic Fitzpatrick is a lock for anything.
Fitz could provide mentorship which has been severely lacking in Geno's first two seasons. Fitz is certainly not the future here and it may not be a fair competition as you suggest.

he may not be the future but he is the perfect stop-gap. yeah it's to bad geno can't have games close to that every week.

when you compare him to fitz take the whole body work into account not just a game because fitz had a game where he threw for 400 yds and had like 6 td's.

57.5 5571 25 3.1 34 4.2 74 6.9 5.6 12.0 185.7 71.5
60.2 19273 123 4.2 101 3.5 98 6.6 5.9 11.0 198.7 79.5

what numbers would you rather have bolded are comp %, td's, and rtg.

J

Jet Setter

That's where I'm going. Pick one next year if there are viable ones out there. It seems that the college game is ill-preparing many QB's for the NFL with these spread offenses.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That's where I'm going. Pick one next year if there are viable ones out there. It seems that the college game is ill-preparing many QB's for the NFL with these spread offenses.

Picking one this year, if there is a guy available they think can develop, does not preclude them from taking another next year if no true franchise QB emerges.

F

flgreen

Very off topic, but is my computer miss-configured? The forum seems to be on a diet. Only half as wide as it used to be. No like

U

ucrenegade

Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

Ryan Fitzpatrick has been traded to the jets for a late round conditional pick according to shefter

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Very off topic, but is my computer miss-configured? The forum seems to be on a diet. Only half as wide as it used to be. No like

Top right, there should be a button that collapses the sidebar.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

That's because the site has added a running Jets twitter feed to the right of the forum window.

Speaking of that, in that twitter feed, Adam Schefter is confirming that the Fitzpatrick deal is done, for a late pick.