Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I absolutely think it's worth dealing a seventh, or at the very least swapping a higher seventh for a lower one, to ensure you get Fitzpatrick. When he gets cut, you have no idea what could happen.

I could live with a swap of 7ths it's a crap shoot that late anyway.

J

Jet Setter

I guess Fitz would be a good stop gap for a season. He is familiar with Gailey system and is still an upgrade over Geno!! Keeping the pick would seem to make sense since we are already down a 5th & 6th but in all honesty we had 12 picks last season and most of them didn't even make the team.

8 of 12 picks remain on the roster.

J

Jet Setter

I think it's more about keeping the existing contract intact. His two-year deal runs through the end of this season so the Jets get a one-year trial without any money committed beyond 2015. If he is cut, they have to sign him to a new deal and he might hold out for a 2 or 3 year deal. For a 7th, I think it might make sense to bring him in this way.

Excellent point. Although, I wonder if he could be had for less than 3.8M coming off a broken leg.

nycdan

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Excellent point. Although, I wonder if he could be had for less than 3.8M coming off a broken leg.

Quite possibly but if it's a 2-year deal, any bonus will hit next year's cap. So if you could get him for, say, $5MM over two years with a $500k signing bonus, that's a better deal for the Jets, but if even one more team gets involved, that could all go sideways quickly.

J

Jet Setter

Quite possibly but if it's a 2-year deal, any bonus will hit next year's cap. So if you could get him for, say, $5MM over two years with a $500k signing bonus, that's a better deal for the Jets, but if even one more team gets involved, that could all go sideways quickly.

He only has one year remaining - this year.

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
The possibly of Fitzpatrick coming to the Jets does not excite me.
Another mediocre at best QB IMO; but I guess he knows Gailey's system.

I'd would wait until he is cut to make a move.

NCgreen12

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics

While I think everyone here agrees with regards to Fitz being on the team and possibly a starter week 1 I also don't think there are many good options. This is just one bad year with regards to finding a competent veteran. Hoping for Marcus in the worst way.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
What and please don't! He is 32 and a journeyman wash out. Bad part about it is he is probably better then Geno right now. I say probably with alot of caution because I dont believe he is. I rather them wait it out and let the Texans cut him first. If not Mariota then they will draft a QB in the later rounds. Overall, I'm hoping Mariota is still in play. If not then Geno will just have to fight it out with Fitzgerald and the rookie for starter.

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
While I think everyone here agrees with regards to Fitz being on the team and possibly a starter week 1 I also don't think there are many good options. This is just one bad year with regards to finding a competent veteran. Hoping for Marcus in the worst way.

I agree that the options for a quality starting QB are limited right now.
Fitz just reminds me of a dozen or so other average QB's in the league.
Still think a trade may be in the works either before or during the draft.
The more I read the more I believe Mariota will not be there at 6 come draft day.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics

I know he is mediocre..WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE ?

If we dont get him I don t want to hear bitching next year if Geno struggles..all for a late round pick...what do you think would be more important to the Jets next year..him..or some 7th round pick...

J

Jet Setter

Their is no way geno beats him out in a fair competition.

The Geno we saw in game 16 could. I don't think erratic Fitzpatrick is a lock for anything.
Fitz could provide mentorship which has been severely lacking in Geno's first two seasons. Fitz is certainly not the future here and it may not be a fair competition as you suggest.

hokiejetfan92

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I know he is mediocre..WHAT ELSE IS OUT THERE ?

If we dont get him I don t want to hear bitching next year if Geno struggles..

I'm not against us getting him. I am against us trading for him. He has little to no value. Mallett is at least young and the texans gave up a 6th or 7th for him. If the texans get hoyer, we are trading for someone who will essentially be cut otherwise. That's the only reason I don't want to trade for him. Especially since we don't have our 5th and 6th rounds this year, itd be nice to see if we can snag some talent in the later rounds