Todd McShay has his own NFL Draft Order

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
I happened to think that we have the safety we need already on the roster. We’re playing Nass at linebacker and now he’s a glorified special teams player.
I agree about Nas, he should be playing safety but he is not. The HC and DC have been very clear they have their scheme and will not divert from it. Its sink or swim at LB for Nas. That's with bot starting safeties on ir, Joyner and Maye, and both being FAs.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
The idea of sink or swim for the defensive players remember Nasirildeen is a day 3 prospect he will get his chance to be that starter give him a full season and off season to earn his role on the team... Same with when Jamien Sherwood comes back even if they are not starters moving forward they were project selections... The speed of Quincy Williams and the way he has played proves some prospects need time to show up he is in year 3 and now showing he can be that contributor...

CJ Mosley been a starter his whole career, and showing he is a good tackler but substandard coverage linebacker... Finding comparable prospects will be key... Blake Cashman has the tools but is Mr. Breakable, injury prone... Jarrad Davis was signed to be a significant role player early and now is playing less than 40% snaps but has a role on the team playing his game and be a vital run defender who can not cover for shit...

The team feels they have their starters at safety in Ashtyn Davis and Elijah Riley but need to fix the front 7... The corner position, is young and has the starters they believe to move forward with and depth at nickel with Guidry... But they learned that Pinnock at this point is a liability because of his inability to close, his recovery is slight... Isaiah Dunn will improve year two that is the hope...Wildgoose young and has potential so we will see I doubt they draft unless a sleeper option maybe like Alontae Taylor Tennessee is there in the 6th round to which we don't have a pick now... They have a plan and they said they will get competitive and improve certain players have shown major improvement in their respective games and there are flashes of talent on the roster but it is when or if it can come together in the end...

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
For Saleh's defense to thrive, it requires elite talent. Avg to above avg starters will not get the job done.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Does anyone really see this organization once more spending a high-end first on a safety? I just don't see it.

I'd almost rather overdraft Linderbaum or Green at #7 if you can't trade back a little bit. Stingley and Linderbaum or Green and I'd be happy with that first.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Does anyone really see this organization once more spending a high-end first on a safety? I just don't see it.

I'd almost rather overdraft Linderbaum or Green at #7 if you can't trade back a little bit. Stingley and Linderbaum or Green and I'd be happy with that first.
not with this GM even though this HC thrives on safety hybrids on defense he also understands the draft process and there is viable talent throughout especially in and on day 3 where our safeties now linebackers were drafted...

Ashtyn Davis was a 3rd round raw athlete, was that project player...
we poached a safety Elijah Riley who was a priority free agent and now is our other starting safety...

there is no reason they will draft a safety in the first 5 rounds next year just because they will likely sign veterans like Sharrod Neasman and possibly give LaMarcus Joyner another chance to show why they originally signed him this year...

so no, no safety this year unless a diamond falls out of the sky and lands in our 5th round draft pick(s)

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
being the Dad of a current Ole Miss student, I watch plenty of Rebel football and I would agree in the 4th he would be great value....but is there bigger needs with value as well in the 4th?
2 4th round picks we need that compliment to Michael Carter as Ty Johnson next year is in contract year...
the question still remains what is up with La'Mical Perine's role on this team if he has one...
other 4th round can be used 1 of 4 positions but to use one on a RB is smart...

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
with Saleh's defensive predicated on pressure up front - the need for gold jackets in the secondary is not as great if you are getting pressure- think of those Strahan defenses. Now that doesn't mean you wouldn't mind a premium talent but I agree with notion of not drafting that high for it.

Ask yourself why are the Pats solid this year - it's because they are strong up front.....build from the inside out.....that's Joe Douglas' plan. Jets have to get the LB corp straight and find/develop/draft/sign that edge help. Really want to see what Huff can do down stretch.

at this point I'm taking Neal if he is there at #4.......question marks at both Tackle positions right now.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
with Saleh's defensive predicated on pressure up front - the need for gold jackets in the secondary is not as great if you are getting pressure- think of those Strahan defenses. Now that doesn't mean you wouldn't mind a premium talent but I agree with notion of not drafting that high for it.

Ask yourself why are the Pats solid this year - it's because they are strong up front.....build from the inside out.....that's Joe Douglas' plan. Jets have to get the LB corp straight and find/develop/draft/sign that edge help. Really want to see what Huff can do down stretch.

at this point I'm taking Neal if he is there at #4.......question marks at both Tackle positions right now.
He is trying to recreate the legion of boom which was only great when they were loaded with excellent DBs. Even with the talent up front. Richard Sherman,Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Thurman and Maxwell made that D what it was.
You cant discount The Patriots LBers or DBs, especially not JC Jackson. They deploy mor cover 1 thany any team, clogging the middle of the field.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Richard Sherman,Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Thurman and Maxwell made that D what it was.
the only 1st round of those you mentioned was Earl Thomas the rest were day 3 draft selections...

the secondary is not the issue
the defensive line is almost there
linebackers are the problem, they need better cover linebackers who can tackle, not willing can...

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
We need better Saftey and DB play too. This D is predicated on not giving up the big play and has done exactly that all season. 4 missed tackles on a WR running down the sideline sunday is a perfect example. It's not only the LBers missing tackles out there.
Brady , probably the Goat was drafted in the 6th round. Is that the best round to draft a QB now?
Point is all were elite or well above avg players while were running out several players who are practice squad players at best .

Last edited:

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
We need better Saftey and DB play too. This D is predicated on not giving up the big play and has done exactly that all season. 4 missed tackles on a WR running down the sideline sunday is a perfect example. It's not only the LBers missing tackles out there.
the linebackers are the glue to the defense and it wasn't just the receivers running wild it was also the tight ends eating up the seam...

Saleh has run Cover 3 zone style scheme where Ashtyn playing the SS role of what Marcus Maye played comes down either in the box or in the slot... Riley he has been the single high safety... They don't help over the top of the corners, the corners are basically on an island... If the linebackers can hold their own then the corners will be able to stick with their assignment and compete but then you have the refs calling phantom calls. Improve the linebackers with better coverage guys who are able not willing to tackle... Safety play in the box or in the slot is predicated to stop the run... the single high is suppose to cover the deep seam... the D line needs better production from the rotation they are deploying but we don't have the right group of players to continuously collapse the pocket...

Bryce Hall, MC2 have been outstanding, when Echols went down that side became a liability...
CJ Mosley is a run defender who trips in coverage, he has also taken some horrid angles in pursuit of the ball carrier...
Jarrad Davis when in is a good run defender who is a horrible cover linebacker... Quincy Williams has wheels and because of that makes him one of the pros in this unit...

We don't need a run stuffer next to Q. we need another pass rusher who can tackle, the idea would of been move JFM inside next to Q. then between our limited EDGE guys on the outside but right now it is more evaluation then rapid success...

Retired AFA

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
CB Derick Stingley, may seem like a great CB, but he is always injured. I would pass on him. I don't think we need a to take a CB or Safety this high. My choice is like gmf1369 take the Offensive lineman Ikem Ekwonu from NC State with #4 and trade back into the #20's while adding an additional 2nd Rd pick and taking a WR at #20. With 3 2nd Rd picks we can grab either a TE, WR, DT, LB, C, CB, RT, S, Edge, RB, etc.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
looking at the roster and who may re-sign, leave in free agency and/or be traded the roster has some needs and some compliments required... building the comparable roster starts up front on the OL and DL...

we know three things on the OL, with the improved play at Guard, Center McGovern has also proven he is a capable anchor moving forward, not sexy but worthy... We know both veterans George Fant and Chuma Edoga both can play both tackle spots... Both are under contract for next season opening the door for the Jets to trade Fant, just because Edoga younger has a brighter and longer future moving forward... Not saying they will trade Fant but teams around the league may attempt to offer compensation to acquire him...

Mekhi Becton is the starting left tackle, period - end of story...
AVT has proven he was the right move to trade up to grab him...
Connor McGovern is stable and under contract no need to make a roster move nor position change...
Draft is a must here, GVR & LDT are old and only one could return to be backup but under contract is also Cam Clark...
Between George Fant and Chuma Edoga there is a battle for the job...

a day 3 option is to draft a developmental center maybe 4th round Center Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas most fans are staring to realize his potential and what he could develop into for us, bring some more nastiness to the IOL...

At Right Guard there are three right prospects that fit the mold:
  • Ikem Ekwonu from NC State is the best of the three
  • Kenyon Green from TAMU is another top option
  • Zion Johnson from BC also would be an improvement over our current situation, with potential to grow...
The first two are Top 25 prospects while Zion can also land in the 1st round but is being considered a top 2nd round prospect... Joe Douglas has options but of the three the one that literally has NFL Comparison to a current New York Jets is Ikem Ekwonu being compared to AVT...

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
as I said DL is a part of the starting point for Joe Douglas to build from the trenches doesn't mean needing an EDGE rusher...

the Jets need to fill and replace talent... Carl Lawson's injury doesn't see him return until mid next season... So signing a free agent coming off rookie deal could be the way to go... One option is Derek Barnett, think he fits the style... Kick JFM inside with Q. and the rotation on the other End job could be up for grabs early between Bryce Huff, and a rookie with the other job goes to Barnett with Shaq Lawson yes I said Shaq will b back in rotation...

I am uncertain at this point if they will extend an offer to Foley, I feel that Sheperd is done in New York... So drafting someone on day two is an option... I like the potential of Perrion Winfrey from Oklahoma who can develop into a 3 down player and give a dynamic trio with JFM & Q. then veteran leadership from Rankins and developmental option in Marshall who may land on the practice squad...

The defensive line could be outstanding with the right group of players from starters to role players...

We have the corner position technically locked down moving forward unless another talent falls to day 3 due to injury concerns could be an option to take a chance on but nothing higher than 6th round...

Safety position, think we have our starters in unpopular Ashtyn Davis and newcomer Eljiah Riley... The key is will they attempt to bring Zane Lewis to the active roster as depth or sign/re-sign veteran talent? Also have to wonder if they will franchise tag Marcus Maye which is still on the table...

The final overhauled position group is linebacker... CJ Mosley is an older overpriced linebacker that is a great run defender who is a good tackle but lacks coverage skills to be on the roster moving forward... Trading him for a day 2 draft pick should be in the cards if they can find a team willing...

Jamien Sherwood and Hamsah Nasirldeen this year's rookie should take the next step next year... Quincy Williams is the third player to still move forward at the linebacking position group opening the door for the Jets to draft at least two linebackers maybe three... Opens the door to sign a free agent but do feel drafting is the way to go here...

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I can't see drafting Ekwonu in top 10 to play guard........not paying top 10 money to a guard. He'd have to play Tackle for me

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I can't see drafting Ekwonu in top 10 to play guard........not paying top 10 money to a guard. He'd have to play Tackle for me
I can especially if we’re going to have this player under our thumb for 6 years at the minimum. 5 years on his rookie deal and at least the 6th year with a franchise or transition tag . By that time he might become our starting OT for all we know .

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

Two scenarios make me think the team could. Look at what Nelson did for the Colts' line, and look at AVT (not top 10, but close, and the Jets traded up for him).

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Joe Douglas will draft OL or DL in the 1st round...
The idea of Tackle, Guard or Center worthy of Top 10 money is retarded especially since we have two contracts in Fant and Edoga that are affordable to make that move...

Even Connor McGovern's contract is affordable...

if he is the choice should not be a problem, he will do his job and protect the interior rush and open up major run lanes either drive blocking or pull guard which is huge in this game plan...

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Joe Douglas will draft OL or DL in the 1st round...
The idea of Tackle, Guard or Center worthy of Top 10 money is retarded especially since we have two contracts in Fant and Edoga that are affordable to make that move...

Even Connor McGovern's contract is affordable...

if he is the choice should not be a problem, he will do his job and protect the interior rush and open up major run lanes either drive blocking or pull guard which is huge in this game plan...

I think RG is the absolute biggest need right now on the offense. And I would have no issue using an early pick on one.

That said, as much as I like the stabilizing force McGovern has been at C, if they went C and moved McGovern to RG, or let the drafted C play RG until he was ready to slide into the center spot, I'd be good with it, too. McGovern has been the solid veteran presence I was hoping he would be after his somewhat rocky start. But he's still only a short-term answer.

As for RT, I like Fant, but I like him better at LT, where Becton already is. I'm not sold on Edoga being a long-term answer there. So if there was the chance to take a young upgrade with a relatively early pick, I wouldn't be upset if the Jets did it.