250 Greatest Guitarists

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
#15 on the RS list, Keith Richards turned 80 yesterday. WTF?! Happy Birthday, Keef.

This one is here because I always loved this riff. Jimmy Page did, too. "When Jimmy Page was asked in 1977 for his opinion on Keith Richards’s brushes with the law, the Led Zeppelin guitarist replied rightly enough: “You only have to put on ‘Dance Little Sister’ and you forgive the guy for anything.”

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Earlier, read an article about #250 on the RS list, Andy Summers. In it, he mentions searching out a lesson from the late Lenny Breau while visiting Nashville. Honestly, I had not thought of Breau (a master of cascading harmonics and the seven-string guitar) in a long time. Breau was an artist who approached the guitar like a piano. Here are Summers' words on that meeting and his impact on the solo for "I Can't Stop Loving You":

“It was unusual because I didn't do the usual bluesy solo – I did what I call Lenny Breau harmonics. No other so-called rock guitarist was doing it at the time. Lenny Breau showed me how to do that.

“I was in Nashville in a crappy hotel and asked the phone operator to put me through to Lenny Breau. He said, 'It's very expensive: $45', and half an hour later he knocked on the door with a little amp and this guitar.

“We got on really well and he showed me the harmonics; he should get more recognition. He’s the world’s greatest guitar player.”

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
This nugget just showed up on my JT recommendations. RS's #245 guitarist, the great Leslie West, is just phenomenal on this cut from Woodstock. An obscure Felix Pappalardi tune from his days in The Vagrants. And Leslie could sing/howl, too.

Give a listen to what one P-90 in a Les Paul Junior and monstrous tone fingers can do. I LOVED Leslie and Mountain back then. He's one of the resons I worked all Summer to buy a used Sunn amp. They're still one of my favorite bands. RIP Leslie and Felix.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
here's the whole album

perfect to blast during Christmas dinner

note: if you get enough of this before it ends, before you click it off, don't miss Paul Gilbert in the last track

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
here's the whole album

perfect to blast during Christmas dinner

note: if you get enough of this before it ends, before you click it off, don't miss Paul Gilbert in the last track

After your first post, I found the album on YT and have had it playing in the background since. My wife said she remembers us having it on CD back in the 90s. Honestly, I don't remember. Regardless, it's great. Thanks very much for the thought. And yeah, Gilbert is ridiculous.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
More Xmas axe work. This time from #186 on the RS list, Steve Lukather.

From Wiki and YT:
"Santa Mental is the fourth and the holiday studio album from Steve Lukather, released in 2003. When Lukather's record company, Bop City Records, approached him about recording a Christmas album, they wanted him to do the record knowing he would approach the project with a unique angle and produce something different from the typical Christmas album. Lukather recruited keyboardist Jeff Babko and guitarist Larry Carlton, who Lukather had worked with previously, to help arrange the songs. The result was a challenge to Lukather, who had to be creative to turn the traditionally simple songs into something interesting for listeners. The musicians Lukather chose for Santa Mental, most of whom are hard rock veterans, lent a heavy feel to the album. Van Halen recorded guitar tracks for "Joy To The World" after not having been in the studio for some time but immediately made an impression on Lukather with his level of playing. Vai provided guitar work for "Carol Of The Bells" along with Lukather's son Trevor, then 14 years old. Slash, who recorded his part in one take, played on the Lukather/Stan Lynch composition "Broken Heart For Christmas." Lukather spoke highly of Slash after the project, calling him the "Keith Richards of our generation." Famous session guitarist Michael Landau played on the song "Look Out For Angels," and there is a previously unreleased version of "Jingle Bells" sung by Sammy Davis Jr. (Wikipedia)"

Personnel: Steve Lukather Jeff Babko Eddie Van Halen Trevor Lukather Steve Vai Slash Michael Landau John Pierce Gregg Bissonette Simon Phillips Lenny Castro Edgar Winter George Shelby Walt Fowler Sammy Davis Jr. Scott Hamilton

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Just listening to this isolated guitar from #1 on the RS list. Complex piece which highlights different aspects of Jimi's genius.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's always interesting to see where players who infuenced the world got their influences from, i.e. Van Halen learning to tap by watching Hackett.

John McLaughlin, of course changed everything in the early 70's but where did he get his inspiration from?

The story goes that after Inner Mounting Flame, he was going to take the band back to acoustic having liked the results on My Goal's Beyond much better. Then he saw the player that changed him and consequently all the rest of us. This guy amazed him with his speed, innovation, tremelo bends, etc. This guy played a double neck with one straight, one scalloped so he had to have one. He couldn't find a Dano so he settled for the Gibson and later had Guild try (and fail) to replicate the quality and materials of the Dano. Then he did Birds of Fire and all that came after, none of which would have happened without McLaughin seeing this great master. There is also criticism of McLaughlin that he copped the licks on Celestial Terrestrial Commuters and Eternity's Breath from him, but he couldn't quite play them as fast as his hero so it came out the way we know on the records

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Going through some old music "files" over the weekend, I realized that Tal Farlow and Bucky Pizzarelli were not included on the RS list. Both are legendary jazz guitarists. Check Farlow's phrasing and fingering in various parts of the first video. And Pizzarelli is just a swing master.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

I did not know Goodsall and Lumley passed !

Guess that's about it for fusion bands

Loved going to see these guys at places like the Iridium. Jones would come out for a solo with no one on stage after the break and just mesmerize the heck out of you on that fretless

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
I did not know Goodsall and Lumley passed !

Guess that's about it for fusion bands

Loved going to see these guys at places like the Iridium. Jones would come out for a solo with no one on stage after the break and just mesmerize the heck out of you on that fretless
yes both over the last few years Morris pert was a few years before that. but lumley i did not know about until today.,

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Reading an article earlier in which they referenced a great guitarist in the prog mode, the late Ollie Halsall. Halsall played in a cool band I liked in the 70s called Patto, as well as in Tempest, briefly with Allan Holdsworth.