Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's coming soon for JD, Saleh, Hackett and a ton of Jet players:
winter-is-coming-icegif.gif

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Check out this great bit of guitar alchemy. It will make you smile. Vai shreds his ass off. But Dweezil needs to be acknowledged as well. How he's elevated himself to play Frank's complicated pieces and parts is extraordinary. Great sax solo, too.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Great video Prof, deserves two trophies !

Zweezil is fantastic, puts on an amazing show of his dad's stuff.
Vai defines an entire generation of those Ibanez guys, no?

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Great video Prof, deserves two trophies !

Zweezil is fantastic, puts on an amazing show of his dad's stuff.
Vai defines an entire generation of those Ibanez guys, no?
Thanks, dude. I've been listening to that great bit of music all morning. I can't even begin to sing at the speed of those solos.

Like him or not (I do), Vai is a genius. I can't imagine the amount of time invested to have such a facility on the fretboard. Ridiculous.

I went back and found the longer version of that Zappa piece. Some additional tasty stuff to enjoy. Frank must be smiling seeing/hearing what an incredible musician Dweezil has become.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
How about slide guitarists?

Ry Cooder?
Just checked. Ry Cooder is on the list at #66.

I think Ry Cooder was my first serious introduction to slide guitar. Talk about a fretboard genius. He could "shred" as well as sustain notes to the sweetest point possible.

If you appreciate Ry's slide work, are you familiar with Sonny Landreth? Both guys have influenced so many players. Both tone masters.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
He is a tiny strummer. Speaking of .38 Special, I always thought Jeff Carlisi was a very good rock guitarist. The Carlisi/Van Zant guitar tandem really drove their Southern Rock sound.
I have always said that there are four guarantee's in life Death, Taxes, Room 208 on campus & A Genesis concert,,,,,,Still holds true today for me. (except for 208 not sure where she is now).

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
@butterscotch Thought you might dig this concert. Awesome performances by the late Allan Holdsworth and one of my favorite pianists, Alan Pasqua. If you can't view the entire concert, just skip around to experience Holdsworth's fretboard magic as well as Pasqua's solos.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Sad how Holdsworth died broke and they had to raise money for his family to have a funeral. Meanwhile Taylor Swift buys mansions. Makes me mad at the idiot human race

You probably already know the following story but sitting here typing is serving to avoid having to help the wife make breakfast/home tailgate so ...

It could have been different for him. So many bands that should have been big. My favorite was UK when Wetton and Bruford got back together to form a band a few years after Fripp first ended KC. They decided to do a trio with Rick Wakeman and started to rehearse but Wakeman's label wouldn't release him for it (record labels sucked in the 70's, especially the one in particular whose reps should be burning in hell by now if wishes some true), so they each picked one player to join them. Wetton brought in Eddie Jobson (keys and electric violin, should have noted him on the violin list the other day) from his days in Roxy Music and Bruford brought in Holdsworth. That was the first album (the one with In the Dead of Night). There's also a live album. Unfortunately, Holdsworth hated the group as it was too structured and while he wanted to do more improv instrumentals, Wetton wanted more commercial songs and only short structured solos so he fired poor Alan. Bruford agreed with Holdsworth's view so they left to do their own thing together (which was not much more than Sahara of Snow) and got off the gravy train. Terry Bozzio came in and UK became a trio (they couldn't find another guitarist) when they made that excellent Danger Money album. The original lineup could have been the next Yes or ELP.

OK, he's still working , let's see.

Good call on the Thunder from Down Under too. He toured for awhile with Return to Forever and pretty much handled all of Conner's and DiMeola's parts (minus a little of DiMeola's speed and Conner's amazing phaser sound).

Also have to add Frank Marino (Mahagony Rush) in with this group. Did you know he now makes pedals?
https://www.frankmarinoaudio.com/

Did when mention John Petrucci yet? Once he got out of Dream Theater he did his best work with Liquid Tension Experiement and that amazing Terminal Velocity solo album

Also the guy in Haken (forgot his name), one of the two in Umphrey's McGee (forgot his name too)

How about Joaguin Lievano? He was the guy in Jean-Luc Ponty's band (one album with Alan Holdsworth too!)

Lots of candidates to start a new G3 !

Breakast ready, 3.5 hrs to gametime, Go Jets !

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Sad how Holdsworth died broke and they had to raise money for his family to have a funeral. Meanwhile Taylor Swift buys mansions. Makes me mad at the idiot human race

You probably already know the following story but sitting here typing is serving to avoid having to help the wife make breakfast/home tailgate so ...

It could have been different for him. So many bands that should have been big. My favorite was UK when Wetton and Bruford got back together to form a band a few years after Fripp first ended KC. They decided to do a trio with Rick Wakeman and started to rehearse but Wakeman's label wouldn't release him for it (record labels sucked in the 70's, especially the one in particular whose reps should be burning in hell by now if wishes some true), so they each picked one player to join them. Wetton brought in Eddie Jobson (keys and electric violin, should have noted him on the violin list the other day) from his days in Roxy Music and Bruford brought in Holdsworth. That was the first album (the one with In the Dead of Night). There's also a live album. Unfortunately, Holdsworth hated the group as it was too structured and while he wanted to do more improv instrumentals, Wetton wanted more commercial songs and only short structured solos so he fired poor Alan. Bruford agreed with Holdsworth's view so they left to do their own thing together (which was not much more than Sahara of Snow) and got off the gravy train. Terry Bozzio came in and UK became a trio (they couldn't find another guitarist) when they made that excellent Danger Money album. The original lineup could have been the next Yes or ELP.

OK, he's still working , let's see.

Good call on the Thunder from Down Under too. He toured for awhile with Return to Forever and pretty much handled all of Conner's and DiMeola's parts (minus a little of DiMeola's speed and Conner's amazing phaser sound).

Also have to add Frank Marino (Mahagony Rush) in with this group. Did you know he now makes pedals?
https://www.frankmarinoaudio.com/

Did when mention John Petrucci yet? Once he got out of Dream Theater he did his best work with Liquid Tension Experiement and that amazing Terminal Velocity solo album

Also the guy in Haken (forgot his name), one of the two in Umphrey's McGee (forgot his name too)

How about Joaguin Lievano? He was the guy in Jean-Luc Ponty's band (one album with Alan Holdsworth too!)

Lots of candidates to start a new G3 !

Breakast ready, 3.5 hrs to gametime, Go Jets !
Wow, what a post! POTY nominee from me for sure.

I'm the cook in the family, so am well acquainted with all the meal(s) prep. I don't eat beef very often. But later will make a beef/mushroom slow braise for the game. Probably over polenta.

It really is hard to fathom Holdsworth's talent and "ability" to never achieve superstardom. But that UK record? Just wow. Did not know he died broke. You're so right that it's a sad situation and that pop stars make all the money.

I think we did Marino in here someplace. I did not know he made pedals until you mentioned it.

Petrucci is in here, too. Although I appreciate their musicianship, I was never a big Dream Theater guy. For whatever reason, their vibe just escaped me.

I'm not familiar with Lievano or Haken. Guess I need to go check them out.

Once again, props on your fantastic addition to this thread.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
this thread reminds me of something someone said to me in Sam Ash years ago. We're both at the checkout counter by the door and he turns to me and says, "if there were no such thing as guitars and amps, I'd be driving a much nicer car"

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
this thread reminds me of something someone said to me in Sam Ash years ago. We're both at the checkout counter by the door and he turns to me and says, "if there were no such thing as guitars and amps, I'd be driving a much nicer car"
LMFAO! This is so true. Like so many, started for me watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Got a guitar the next Xmas. An acoustic from EJ Korvette that had stupidly high action and was nearly impossible to keep in tune.

And I could probably buy a car if I still owned and sold my pre-CBS Precision, beat up used old Strat and Sunn amp.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
LMFAO! This is so true. Like so many, started for me watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. Got a guitar the next Xmas. An acoustic from EJ Korvette that had stupidly high action and was nearly impossible to keep in tune.

And I could probably buy a car if I still owned and sold my pre-CBS Precision, beat up used old Strat and Sunn amp.
I was playing combat on the floor at the time the Beatles were on Ed's show. My Dad yelled for me & said the Beatles are on TV......I ran in to see the act that had bugs on the show......Took a look for 30 seconds at these freaks & said not for me & went back to my toy soldiers,......Like some of the songs but never liked them or their music. Moody Blues I guess were the first group I got into. Besides that were just songs...until April 10th 1976...Love at first listen live. If you had asked me that night with the Beatles I would have said they will never make it lol