250 Greatest Guitarists

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
I was playing combat on the floor at the time the Beatles were on Ed's show. My Dad yelled for me & said the Beatles are on TV......I ran in to see the act that had bugs on the show......Took a look for 30 seconds at these freaks & said not for me & went back to my toy soldiers,......Like some of the songs but never liked them or their music. Moody Blues I guess were the first group I got into. Besides that were just songs...until April 10th 1976...Love at first listen live. If you had asked me that night with the Beatles I would have said they will never make it lol
We like what we like. For me, The Beatles are the greatest rock group ever. I can still sing most Lennon-McCartney songs. That's what sets them apart from most other groups.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
I guess because of all the guitar videos I've looked up lately, this one popped up on my YT recommendations. One of the two hand tapping masters, Stanley Jordan just mesmerizes in this terrific version of "Stairway to Heaven". From about seven minutes to the end is jaw dropping. Jordan has been impressing people for so many decades that you tend to forget his impact on the instrument.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
We like what we like. For me, The Beatles are the greatest rock group ever. I can still sing most Lennon-McCartney songs. That's what sets them apart from most other groups.
Its funny same with the Godfather movies......It was Ok but never go back to it. But everyone loves the Beatles & the Godfather movies just not me. I have never been a person to follow the crowd. It is true we like what we like. I love the entire Genesis family...not every song but every album. There is a spiritual connection I have with them. They feel like Family & I went to private school too. From that first note on it hit me on April 10th 1976. So who is second & third in my book.....Both distant but Pink Floyd & Super Tramp are next & the order switches between them weekly lol. the rest of music is ok & some songs are great but I always go back to the boys. Now on one month a year or six weeks I love Christmas Movies from carols to 40's & 50's & 60's music plus Mannheim Steamroller.... Or from Jingle bells to Church music.....love it all. Back to Genesis when I say i don't love every song. I like every song that I don't love. LOL

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Was Elliot Randall brought up yet? He was the solo guy on Reelin' In The Years
Good one, FB. Just checked the RS list and Randall is not on it. Like Louie Shelton who I mentioned earlier, he's another of those session guys who don't get enough recognition.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
And a Jet connection as well with Hackett's use of Johnson's baby powder on his strings. I'd never heard of using powder before.

Thanks for the fun read, @butterscotch. Always loved Hackett's playing. Big loss when he left Genesis.
It was but also a big loss when Ant left. I love Mikes playing on 12 string & Bass & when he took over for Steve he was great in a different way.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
And a Jet connection as well with Hackett's use of Johnson's baby powder on his strings. I'd never heard of using powder before.

Thanks for the fun read, @butterscotch. Always loved Hackett's playing. Big loss when he left Genesis.

That is how it started......One day Tony banks & Mike told Steve to take a powder......then he left

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
what a great article on Hackett's gear !

so much amazing stuff to see there

First of all .08's !!! OMG that's thin.

But the pedal board, holy #$%#! You'd think this has got to be from years ago but that's a v2 HOF reverb which means 2017 at the earliest. All inexpensive and dated stuff on this board, none of which were even the top level of its catagory when it came out. The two bulky Line 6's are obsolete (they even updated the DL4 themselves recently to try to get teh unit selling again) and the MM4 is limited and wasn't even good then when compared to the pedals it emulated. He's using Sans Amps as drives, TCE for delay and reverb and just a good ole TS9, no OD's or sweeteners etc. Two harmonists, both Boss , not Eventide ! Also, no compressor but this doesn't show you what's added at the board. He does have an Analogman pedal though. Given the dates of the drives, I guess his name hasn't come up on the King of Tone list :)

I love it . The whole thing is like some high school kid's rig

And, with this inexpensive and dated gear, he's, ... well, listen to Musical Box (the song, not the band that BS needs to see)

So why the heck do we buy Ventris and Strymons and 6-7 boutique drive pedals? Why? Because we can't buy Steve's talent

I did not know that Banks and Rutherford (and I guess Collins too?) asked him to leave. I always thought he just left while they were making Seconds Out saying that he just wanted the freedom of beng a solo. This makes me sad.

Great read, some things to try, diming a Phase 90? Harmonists set as a doubler? Done, but no Deco. Harmonist as a subtle chorus? hmm

I wonder if he's tried Fractal or Kemper, lots of pros going modeler these days

Nice work BS

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics

But the pedal board, holy #$%#! You'd think this has got to be from years ago but that's a v2 HOF reverb which means 2017 at the earliest. All inexpensive and dated stuff on this board, none of which were even the top level of its catagory when it came out. The two bulky Line 6's are obsolete (they even updated the DL4 themselves recently to try to get teh unit selling again) and the MM4 is limited and wasn't even good then when compared to the pedals it emulated. He's using Sans Amps as drives, TCE for delay and reverb and just a good ole TS9, no OD's or sweeteners etc. Two harmonists, both Boss , not Eventide ! Also, no compressor but this doesn't show you what's added at the board. He does have an Analogman pedal though. Given the dates of the drives, I guess his name hasn't come up on the King of Tone list :)

And, with this inexpensive and dated gear, he's, ... well, listen to Musical Box (the song, not the band that BS needs to see)

So why the heck do we buy Ventris and Strymons and 6-7 boutique drive pedals? Why? Because we can't buy Steve's talent

I did not know that Banks and Rutherford (and I guess Collins too?) asked him to leave. I always thought he just left while they were making Seconds Out saying that he just wanted the freedom of beng a solo. This makes me sad.

Great read, some things to try, diming a Phase 90? Harmonists set as a doubler? Done, but no Deco. Harmonist as a subtle chorus? hmm

Nice work BS
As soon as I saw the shot of Hackett's pedal board, I knew you would flip out.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global

Nice work BS
No I was just pulling the profs leg on powder...he left on his own. But for the last tour Mike Rutherford used a 150.00 guitar for the tour because he loved the sound of it. I was kidding the genesis board on what Phil wanted to name the next album after Steve left.......the joke answer was ......no hackett required.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
More hackett from Brand-x site "Another great picture from Avraham Bank. Brand X toured with Steve Hackett in '93. I was Brand X's road manager at the time. Watching Steve night after night was amazing. He never played a bad note. Their road manager and guitar tech told me he hadn't broken a string in over six years. His feather touch and graceful skill puts him in the conversation of worlds greatest living guitarist. " I agree

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
More hackett from Brand-x site "Another great picture from Avraham Bank. Brand X toured with Steve Hackett in '93. I was Brand X's road manager at the time. Watching Steve night after night was amazing. He never played a bad note. Their road manager and guitar tech told me he hadn't broken a string in over six years. His feather touch and graceful skill puts him in the conversation of worlds greatest living guitarist. " I agree
Great quote. The not breaking a string in six years of performances is insane. Especially as @Fudbutter noted, that Hackett was playing on such light gauge strings. The guy is on another planet.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics