Around The NFL

M

Matriculator

Trent Baalke: Our intention is to have Frank Gore back

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2015, 1:43 PM EST
Frank Gore
AP
Running back Frank Gore spent a little time last weekend wondering on Instagram if the 49ers were interested in having him back for the 2015 season, which prompted a response 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke.

Speaking from the NFL scouting combine on Wednesday, Baalke said that he reached out to Gore in the wake of his social media posting to let Gore know that the team had the same plans that they had at the end of the regular season. He went on to share the gist of those comments with anyone else interested in hearing them as well.

“It’s at the same place it was the last time we talked,” Baalke said, via CSNBayArea.com. “We’re still working on it. It’s not something that’s going to get done yesterday. It’ll take some time to resolve. It’s our intention to have Frank back.”

Gore has spent his entire 10-year NFL career with the 49ers and turned in his eighth 1,000-yard rushing season in 2014 to show that he’s still a productive back even when the team’s passing game can’t get on track. Whatever history Gore’s written with the organization, that kind of production could catch someone else’s eye and leave the 49ers with nothing but their intentions if a deal isn’t struck by early March.

You know, if I believed the "sincere" intent shown by every GM in the league towards their plans to resign their FA's, there would be no free agency. This has become the standard pat answer. It's really no longer necessary.

C

CodieneWanKenobi

I had a feeling Josh McCown would be mentioned involving the Jets this off-season.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Vincent Jackson - WR - Buccaneers
Bucs GM Jason Licht stated at the Combine that Vincent Jackson will stay with the team in 2015.
The Buccaneers are rebuilding and Jackson is 32 with a $9.78 million salary. It was natural to guess the Bucs might consider parting ways. Instead, Licht stated V-Jax will "absolutely" stay in Tampa Bay. The sides still plan to meet in Indianapolis. Jackson may still be asked to restructure, perhaps by converting some of his salary into incentives he can earn back via performance.

Jake Long - T - Rams
Rams GM Les Snead said Jake Long had a couple early-rehab setbacks in his recovery from a torn ACL.
Snead added that Long is now "progressing well." It's fair to wonder if all the injuries are finally starting to catch up to Long, as he's ended each of the past four seasons on injured reserve. The Rams are moving forward with Greg Robinson as their left tackle, which means Long is likely to be cut. The move would save the Rams $8 million against the cap. Long's best days are behind him.

Jordan Cameron - TE - Browns
Coach Mike Pettine said at the Combine the Browns are open to re-signing free agent Jordan Cameron, but only at "the right price."
"It's being discussed," said Pettine. "Gotta be the right price." Browns beat writers don't expect Cameron to return, but the Browns aren't exactly overflowing with pass-catcher options. Of course, they don't have a quarterback either. Cleveland has a ways to go to build a competitive offense.

Vernon Davis - TE - 49ers
49ers GM Trent Baalke confirmed at the NFL Combine that Vernon Davis will be back with the team in 2015.
Davis' performance crumbled amid dysfunction in San Francisco last season. After scoring 13 TDs in 2013, Davis was mind-blowingly targeted once in the red zone in 2014. "It was an off year," Baalke said. "He realizes (that). The great thing about Vernon, he understands." After holding out last spring, Davis is expected to participate fully in the 49ers' offseason program.

DonMaynard

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
I think Milliner gets a shot at one side, so it's likely Maxwell and Jackson CB Texans as FA targets...I'd prefer Maxwell.

Houston is $6 mill over the cap, so they'll need to clear $6 mill to get under the cap and $12 mill for picks...not sure that leaves much room to franchise Houston and get a long term deal done...maybe, but I fight that tight accounting.

I have my doubts that Milliner , with his injury history , has the ability to stay on the playing field for an entire season , and I would expect/hope , Jet management has a contingency plan to bring in at least two capable starters at cb.

U

ucrenegade

I have my doubts that Milliner , with his injury history , has the ability to stay on the playing field for an entire season , and I would expect/hope , Jet management has a contingency plan to bring in at least two capable starters at cb.

welcome look forward to your posts pm me,elias,or mv if you need anything.

M

Matriculator

At least two? So possibly three? All right. The more the merrier.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Well, based on what Maccagnan and Bowles said today, it sure sounds like CB is a high priority position. They both specifically mentioned that position. Two CB's are being brought in, without a doubt.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well, based on what Maccagnan and Bowles said today, it sure sounds like CB is a high priority position. They both specifically mentioned that position. Two CB's are being brought in, without a doubt.

Agreed. Jets stating it at the combine tells agents we're in the market for CBs...free agent and draft picks know the Jets are in the market for CB services.

Matriculator I know you think Walls, Williams, and McDougle are enough, but as I said 2 days ago, the biggest hole on the team after QB is CB. I bet the Jets are talking to every CB at the combine this week.

Parcells123

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
It's obvious-CB and QB are the main focus this offseason. No news here. And if the new regime sees the team clearly, team speed on defense should be a priority. LB and DB's are too slow. For some strange reason, I feel the Jets will pick up a veteran QB (McCown, Glennon, Hoyer?)in free agency and go with receiver or speed rusher with the first pick.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's obvious-CB and QB are the main focus this offseason. No news here. And if the new regime sees the team clearly, team speed on defense should be a priority. LB and DB's are too slow. For some strange reason, I feel the Jets will pick up a veteran QB (McCown, Glennon, Hoyer?)in free agency and go with receiver or speed rusher with the first pick.

Agree, I think we may trade back and go WR or speed rusher. Key names: White, Parker, Beckham, Beasley, and Ray (I think he may slip if his weight slips). If we stay put, I hope Gregory some how falls in our laps.

M

Matriculator

Nothing strange about that as FA in both categories are weak while strong in the draft. Quite reasonable deduction, actually and Mike actually speaks of this mentioning value in our pick that he doesn't want to waste. You get a player worthy of that lofty status instead of reach for a need. He's prepping the fan base of building an overall stronger team.

M

Matriculator

Agreed. Jets stating it at the combine tells agents we're in the market for CBs...free agent and draft picks know the Jets are in the market for CB services.

Matriculator I know you think Walls, Williams, and McDougle are enough, but as I said 2 days ago, the biggest hole on the team after QB is CB. I bet the Jets are talking to every CB at the combine this week.

That's okay, I'm not budging on my position as I firmly believe we have enough young talent on the roster. A veteran starter is necessary (we all agree on that) and a journeyman vet to add would be fine for me, if necessary. If these young CB's don't turn out, trust me, there will be CB's in next year's draft as well. We do have needs at other positions to not only infuse youth, but speed and LB is screaming for such additions. Pace and Harris have long been liabilities as it's no coincidence in the number of huge plays broken against our defense the past several years. Again, we have only 6 picks.
A starting true free safety and improvement at pass rusher would go a long way towards giving that CB corps some help as well - they've literally been on an unprotected island for years.
I'd develop these guys and see what we have before burying them on the bench not knowing what we actually do have. And it doesn't behoove a new regime to act out as you suggest. But that's just me. I think you are approaching this from the standpoint of having to win now. They are afforded the luxury of evaluating before making such moves. Again, I see this as a 2-year build towards competitiveness and rushing the product has proven to fail time and time again.
I think you are taking the fans approach here while the new coach/GM approach might take a different tack.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
That's okay, I'm not budging on my position as I firmly believe we have enough young talent on the roster. A veteran starter is necessary (we all agree on that) and a journeyman vet to add would be fine for me, if necessary. If these young CB's don't turn out, trust me, there will be CB's in next year's draft as well. We do have needs at other positions to not only infuse youth, but speed and LB is screaming for such additions. Pace and Harris have long been liabilities as it's no coincidence in the number of huge plays broken against our defense the past several years. Again, we have only 6 picks.
A starting true free safety and improvement at pass rusher would go a long way towards giving that CB corps some help as well - they've literally been on an unprotected island for years.
I'd develop these guys and see what we have before burying them on the bench not knowing what we actually do have. And it doesn't behoove a new regime to act out as you suggest. But that's just me. I think you are approaching this from the standpoint of having to win now. They are afforded the luxury of evaluating before making such moves. Again, I see this as a 2-year build towards competitiveness and rushing the product has proven to fail time and time again.
I think you are taking the fans approach here while the new coach/GM approach might take a different tack.

We can agree there are essentially 3 CB spots open, 2 outside and slot.

Dude, you can't have it both ways. In 1 breath you say I don't want a bunch of young talent sitting on our bench, and in another you say my plan is to sign 2 vets to fill those 3 spots...how does that not place all the young talent but 1 sitting on the bench?

I think to achieve your goal of developing young talent and letting them play would be better suited by my plan of signing 1 vet, adding 1 more young talented CB and let the best young talent fight for 2 spots.

I don't understand your point that 1 spot is better than 2 for young players fighting to earn playing time.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
C.J. Spiller - RB - Bills
Coach Rex Ryan said the Bills would like to have C.J. Spiller back in 2015.
With the Bills committed to reestablishing their run game under OC Greg Roman, Spiller's chances of remaining in Buffalo have increased. He's still a candidate to reach the open market, but the sides have expressed interest on a long-term deal. Spiller would have no shortage of suitors if allowed to test free agency. The Jets and former HC Chan Gailey are considered a possible landing spot.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
The Broncos are not scheduled to speak with the player rep for free agent Julius Thomas at the NFL Combine, and the Denver Post reports "it is not promising" for Thomas' chances of re-signing.
Per the Post, Thomas "apparently wants to test free agency," which opens on March 10. The Broncos offered a deal that would've paid Julius $8 million annually last July, but he turned it down and experienced a recurrence of his early-career ankle problems late in the season. Longtime Gary Kubiak tight end Owen Daniels could be a cheap replacement for Thomas. The Broncos are also expected to re-sign free agent blocking TE Virgil Green.

Darren McFadden - RB - Raiders
The Raiders are not expected to re-sign free agent Darren McFadden.
The emergence of Latavius Murray combined with McFadden's ineffectiveness in 2014 sealed his fate. Last offseason, Oakland brought McFadden back on a bargain-basement one-year deal, but it doesn't appear they'll offer the same courtesy in 2015. McFadden has never lived up to his massive potential, logging 1,000 yards rushing just once in seven seasons as a Raider. At this point in his career, a backup gig is probably the best McFadden can hope for on the open market.
Related: Latavius Murray
Source: San Francisco Chronicle Feb 19 - 9:11 AM

M

Matriculator

Okay. With you so far.

Dude, you can't have it both ways. In 1 breath you say I don't want a bunch of young talent sitting on our bench, and in another you say my plan is to sign 2 vets to fill those 3 spots...how does that not place all the young talent but 1 sitting on the bench?

I'm not quite following but I believe you are suggesting that I am stating that my position has changed since I would be in favor of signing a 2nd veteran. Is this what has got you all upset? Did I mention that a 2nd veteran would be used as a starter? No. Did I state that this vet take time of developing young CB's? No. How about asking me instead interjecting such thoughts? It seems you are seething about this topic since I don't agree with you. Wow. Let's relax, okay?

I think to achieve your goal of developing young talent and letting them play would be better suited by my plan of signing 1 vet, adding 1 more young talented CB and let the best young talent fight for 2 spots.

Don't agree. Won't agree. Someone would sit and it could very well be the draftee. That would be a waste. Listen, I clearly understand your position. I just don't agree. Why can't you accept this?

I don't understand your point that 1 spot is better than 2 for young players fighting to earn playing time.

I guess you don't. And BTW, we have 4 young players and you want to make it 5. I don't see how 1 spot would be more beneficial than 2 for playing time and development. We'll agree to disagree.

M

Matriculator

Okay. With you so far.

I'm not quite following but I believe you are suggesting that I am stating that my position has changed since I would be in favor of signing a 2nd veteran. Is this what has got you all upset? Did I mention that a 2nd veteran would be used as a starter? No. Did I state that this vet take time of developing young CB's? No. How about asking me instead interjecting such thoughts? It seems you are seething about this topic since I don't agree with you. Wow. Let's relax, okay?

Don't agree. Won't agree. Someone would sit and it could very well be the draftee. That would be a waste. Listen, I clearly understand your position. I just don't agree. Why can't you accept this?

I guess you don't. And BTW, we have 4 young players and you want to make it 5. I don't see how 1 spot would be more beneficial than 2 for playing time and development. We'll agree to disagree.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Well, reading between the lines of what Mac said yesterday, he seemed to say he's not counting on Milliner and that having him in the mix would be more of a pleasant surprise and give them a surplus. That seems to be your stance also, Milliner isn't penciled in anywhere because they don't know what to expect from him. Have to think McDougle is in the same boat since milliner has shown much more than he has. Seems the Jets are approaching the position like anything they get out of McDougle and Milliner is gravy...which is kind of your stance.

And you're right, we wont be on the same page because even your response contradicts itself. "Did you mention the 2nd vet would start. No. Did I state the vet would mentor the young CBs? No." Even your own response points out we dont need a 2nd vet CB but you want one but you also want more playing time for the young CBs. Its not me mad, its you contradicting yourself.

I could ask what you mean, but every time you explain you contradict yourself, so no need to explain further. If it makes sense in your head, that's fine. I just dont think Cromartie signs here to maybe play and maybe mentor young players, maybe not play, maybe sit behind a young player, maybe ride into retirement coming off a pro bowl season on the jets bench behind McDougle/Milliner/Williams.

If you sign jackson and cromartie, no young players are playing...jackson and Cro are playing...so you cant sign both and also play/develop McDougle, Williams, Milliner, and Walls...Sorry if that doesnt make sense to me...arguing both sides doesnt make sense...only 2 maybe 3-4 CBs on the field at a time...

Cheers.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brian Hoyer - QB - Browns
Browns coach Mike Pettine says the team hasn't closed the door yet on free agent Brian Hoyer.
Hoyer's relationship with the Browns has deteriorated in the wake of the team's recent texting scandal, but Pettine is keeping his options open. He may have to, as the Browns aren't low enough in the draft to land Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston and Hoyer and Josh McCown may be the best arms on the free agent market. Sam Bradford and Jay Cutler will also be worth monitoring if either player becomes available in a trade.