Around The NFL

M

Matriculator

My either, Houston will get some place between $13-16 mill likely, so I would expect hughes closer to 8-10...Orakpo may be a bargain deal. I think if we go OLB, and Houston is tagged as anticipated, I think I would rank them:

Worilds
Hughes
Orakpo

I have no interest in Jpp.

You like Worilds that much? I think of him in the Jabaal Sheard mold - not your true edge rusher but a tank-like pursuer and collapser of the pocket. I feel the same about Orakpo as you do JPP. JPP has a lot of talent but is erratic. He could be a shining jewel or lump of coal from this FA. Hughes is my top guy there but my concern is he's more suited to the 4-3. Can he even flash coverage? I don't know.

Nonetheless, the Jets can get their own with the #6 pick and we'll probably know their intentions in the draft simply from their interest in these players mentioned.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You like Worilds that much? I think of him in the Jabaal Sheard mold - not your true edge rusher but a tank-like pursuer and collapser of the pocket. I feel the same about Orakpo as you do JPP. JPP has a lot of talent but is erratic. He could be a shining jewel or lump of coal from this FA. Hughes is my top guy there but my concern is he's more suited to the 4-3. Can he even flash coverage? I don't know.

Nonetheless, the Jets can get their own with the #6 pick and we'll probably know their intentions in the draft simply from their interest in these players mentioned.

jets have so much FA cash it will be interesting to see what positions they address in FA so we can start crossing them off our draft list...

M

Matriculator

jets have so much FA cash it will be interesting to see what positions they address in FA so we can start crossing them off our draft list...

It will be fun and knowing the pressure to spend unlike what Idzik did last year nearly guarantees some action right from the gate.

I'm really watching closely at NE. I think McCourty is our biggest priority signing.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It will be fun and knowing the pressure to spend unlike what Idzik did last year nearly guarantees some action right from the gate.

I'm really watching closely at NE. I think McCourty is our biggest priority signing.

Part of me wants to think so, but most of me says they aren't letting him become available. Pryor and mcCourty would be awesome and McCourty can hopefully hide some of Pryor's coverage gaps.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Mark Ingram - RB - Saints
ESPN's Mike Triplett believes free agent Mark Ingram could command a salary of up to $4 million per year.
After the breakout year Ingram had in 2014, that seems like a fair salary. Of course, with Drew Brees anchoring the offense, New Orleans has never placed a premium on running backs. Given the team's unfavorable salary cap situation, Triplett's gut feeling is that Ingram will walk. The Saints have Pierre Thomas and Khiry Robinson to fall back on if Ingram ends up leaving the nest.

Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
According to ESPN Packers reporter Rob Demovsky, indications are free agent Randall Cobb is seeking a contract that averages $9M per season.
The extension Jordy Nelson signed with the Packers last season averaged $9.75M, comparable Victor Cruz is making $7.64M and last year's No. 1 free agent wideout DeSean Jackson got $8M annually. Cobb's demands could very well be met on the open market come March, as he's just 24 years old and uniquely explosive out of the slot. And we don't doubt that the Packers, who are scheduled to have nearly $23M in cap space, want him back. But it's unclear if GM Ted Thompson wants to dump all this cash on Cobb, especially with intriguing cheap youngsters like Davante Adams and Jeff Janis on the roster.

Josh McCown - QB - Free Agent
Free agent QB Josh McCown left his Monday visit to the Bills without a contract.
A source tells the Buffalo News that this was strictly a visit and salary numbers were not even discussed. McCown, working from a position of power thanks to his Feb. 11 release from the Bucs, will now make one or two more visits and build contract leverage. Yes, there is a market for a 35-year-old journeyman quarterback who went 1-10 with a 11:14 TD-to-INT ratio last season. Ultimately, it wouldn't be a surprise if McCown did end up signing with the Bills because he knows he can beat out E.J. Manuel for the starting gig.
Related: E.J. Manuel

Jason Pierre-Paul - DL - Giants
The Giants and free agent DE Jason Pierre-Paul have not exchanged contract numbers yet.
With the two-week window for applying the franchise tag opening today, the time to start talking is now. It would cost the Giants roughly $15M to have Pierre-Paul play out 2015 on the tag, but using it would buy them time to talk about a long-term deal. If they don't use the tag and talks remain cold, JPP will hit the open market on March 10.

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
A source tells the Sacramento Bee that free agent Frank Gore is seeking a team that will position him for another 1,000-yard season and also give him a "chance at a Super Bowl title."
The possibility exists that Gore could return to San Francisco because doing so would theoretically satisfy both of these possibilities. Per the Sac Bee, it's "unknown" whether the new 49ers staff plans to give second-year RB Carlos Hyde more carries. Whether Gore returns will likely come down to his price tag. He can't expect big money from anyone going on age 32.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
A.J. Hawk - LB - Packers
Releasing A.J. Hawk would save the Packers $3.5 million against the cap.
It seems like a no-brainer. Hawk barely played down the stretch (31.1 percent of snaps over the last seven games) and the Packers need cap room to lock up Randall Cobb long-term. At age 31 and moving slower than ever, Hawk isn't worth a $5.1 million cap hit. Veterans Brad Jones and Julius Peppers could also find themselves on the chopping block this offseason.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Kareem Jackson - DB - Texans
The Texans are not expected to use the franchise tag on CB Kareem Jackson.
Although Jackson was PFF's No. 11 CB last season, he's not worth the $13M it would cost for the Texans to keep him on a one-year franchise tender. That doesn't mean the team doesn't want him back. GM Rick Smith will try to work out a long-term deal before teams like the Bengals, with Jackson confidant Vance Joseph as DBs coach, come calling.

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers
The Sacramento Bee says it seems "unlikely" free agent Michael Crabtree will re-sign with the 49ers.
The 49ers were frustrated with Crabtree's play and he was frustrated with his role last season, when he topped 85 yards zero times while posting a meager 68-698-4 line in 16 games. He recently removed any mention of the 49ers from his Twitter bio. So the 27-year-old Crabtree will hit the open market with plenty of possession-receiver talent but also questions about his ability to truly threaten defenses. He's our No. 6 free agent wideout, just behind Jeremy Maclin and Torrey Smith, and has a chance to be a steal at a discounted price. The 49ers' presumed starting wideouts in 2015 right now are Anquan Boldin and Stevie Johnson.

Brandon Lloyd - WR - 49ers
Free agent WR Brandon Lloyd is not expected to re-sign with the 49ers.
Lloyd played just 24.7 snaps per game for the Niners in 2014, totaling 14 catches all year. Now 33, he'll find a very cold market come March. If he can't latch on to an NFL roster, we know the Zombie Film industry will have him back after his standout performance in "After Effect."

Mike Williams - WR - Free Agent
The player rep for free agent WR Mike Williams has six meetings lined up at the Combine in Indianapolis this week.
Players that were released from their teams have a leg up right now because they can meet/sign with teams before the new league year opens March 10. Of course, these players were released for a reason. Battling both off-field issues and on-field mediocrity, Williams has just 30 catches over the last two seasons while appearing in 15 games for the Bucs and Bills.

Brandon Meriweather - DB - Redskins
The Redskins are not expected to re-sign free agent S Brandon Meriweather.
Meriweather makes more headlines with his suspension-garnering headshots than his effectiveness. The 31-year-old was PFF's No. 60 safety among 87 qualifiers last season, deservedly taking a lot of blame for the Redskins' pass coverage woes. Safety should be a priority position for the 'Skins in both the draft and free agency.

Brian Orakpo - LB - Redskins
ESPN Falcons writer Vaughn McClure reports free agent edge rusher Brian Orakpo "would have been a top target" for Atlanta last offseason if he hadn't been franchise-tagged by the Redskins.
Orakpo is set to hit the market next month and will come at a much cheaper price after tearing his pec for the third time and managing just a half-sack across seven games. Although the Falcons have a new coaching staff, the front office remains the same. Atlanta is in dire need of pass-rushing help. McClure also mentions Adrian Clayborn and O'Brien Schofield as potential targets.
Related: Falcons

Ryan Mallett - QB - Texans
Drew Dougherty of the Texans' official website expects free agent QB Ryan Mallett to be Houston's Week 1 starter.
Mallett seems very likely to re-sign with the Texans after they traded for him and were the ones to give him his long-awaited shot last season before he tore his pectoral after making one start. He's even been working out at the Texans' facility this offseason. The Texans could release Ryan Fitzpatrick and make second-year signal caller Tom Savage the backup. Mallett has a huge arm but is as statuesque as they come in the pocket. Mallett turns 27 in June.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
The Cleveland Plain Dealer thinks the Browns could target free agent Julius Thomas.
It's a mere guess by writer Tom Reed, who isn't a Browns beat reporter, but is worth noting nonetheless. Jordan Cameron is a goner from Cleveland, and the Browns have a ton of cap room and a desperate need at tight end. If Thomas escapes Denver, we expect him to chase the money. The Browns wouldn't be the ideal spot, though one could make the case he'd be the de facto No. 1 receiver.
Related: Browns

Rahim Moore - DB - Broncos
ESPN's Jeff Legwold expects the Broncos to let FS Rahim Moore walk in free agency.
Moore tied for the team lead in interceptions in 2014, but with Demaryius Thomas also headed for free agency, Moore isn't the team's top priority. Denver is already loaded at defensive back with Pro Bowlers Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib and T.J. Ward, so it isn't the end of the world if they lose Moore. The Eagles, Ravens and Redskins could all use upgrades in the secondary.

Chris Johnson - RB - Free Agent
A BaltimoreRavens.com report suggests the team could be interested in free agent RB Chris Johnson if they can't re-sign free agent Justin Forsett.
For the first time in his career, Johnson failed to reach 1,000 yards rushing in 2014. With almost 2,000 carries under his belt, the finish line isn't too far away for CJ2K, who turns 30 in September. But Forsett is just as old, and had never run for 1,000 yards in a season until 2014. Johnson is far from an ideal Plan B, but the Ravens need to have options in case Forsett slips through the cracks.
Related: Ravens

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
10COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
How exactly the Kansas City Chiefs will handle impending free agent Justin Houston remains unclear. They would like to work out a contract extension with the outside linebacker, but they have the option of using the franchise tag by March 2.

What is the latest buzz?

"Justin Houston’s contract situation remains in limbo, but multiple sources confirmed to The Star on Sunday that the Chiefs are expected to meet with Houston’s representative, Joel Segal, at the NFL Combine, which begins Wednesday in Indianapolis," wrote Terez A. Paylor of the KC Star.

"The Chiefs are not expected to designate Houston with a franchise tender before the meeting, a source said."

The bottom line is that Houston will be worth every penny the Chiefs spend on him this offseason, regardless of whether it comes via a new contract or the franchise tag:

Insider
Nathan Jahnke
Top 10 franchise tag candidates
"Houston was easily the best outside pass-rusher regardless of position. There are plenty of times in which a sack total doesn't do a great job of showing how well a pass-rusher is doing because a player can get sacks without much other pressure, or a lot of pressure but few sacks. Houston is not one of those cases, as he led all outside pass rushers with 85 total pressures. What makes Houston worth even more money is he is the total package. Most elite edge rushers are below average against the run, but Houston managed 22 run stops, which was sixth-best for 3-4 outside linebackers, while missing only four tackles. He was also the only edge defender with more than 750 snaps to not commit a single penalty all year. This is a case in which the Chiefs could give him the franchise tag and Houston still wouldn't be making as much money in 2015 as he deserves."

U

ucrenegade

great news if they release fitz we can be right their to scoop him up.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Mike Iupati - G - 49ers
Dolphins C Mike Pouncey wants the team to sign free agent LG Mike Iupati.
It's a slow news night before the Combine kicks off later this week. Pouncey calls Iupati a "good player" and "a really good veteran guard." Pouncey doesn't have any say in personnel decisions, but the fit makes sense. The Dolphins have holes at both left and right guard, though second-year OG Billy Turner will likely fill one of those spots. Iupati, 28 in May, will be eyeing big money next month.
Related: Dolphins

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports the Colts are "probably the shoo-in" to sign free agent Frank Gore.
A draft analyst, Miller is not typically a Rotoworld source, so take this with a grain of salt. Either way, Miller reports coach Chuck Pagano and associate head coach Rob Chudzinski both "want" Gore. Miller also mentions the Redskins and Dolphins as possible landing spots. Gore recently called out the 49ers on social media, and appears headed toward an exit from the only team he's ever known.
Related: Redskins, Colts, Dolphins

M

Matriculator

Mike Iupati - G - 49ers
Dolphins C Mike Pouncey wants the team to sign free agent LG Mike Iupati.
It's a slow news night before the Combine kicks off later this week. Pouncey calls Iupati a "good player" and "a really good veteran guard." Pouncey doesn't have any say in personnel decisions, but the fit makes sense. The Dolphins have holes at both left and right guard, though second-year OG Billy Turner will likely fill one of those spots. Iupati, 28 in May, will be eyeing big money next month.
Related: Dolphins

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
Bleacher Report's Matt Miller reports the Colts are "probably the shoo-in" to sign free agent Frank Gore.
A draft analyst, Miller is not typically a Rotoworld source, so take this with a grain of salt. Either way, Miller reports coach Chuck Pagano and associate head coach Rob Chudzinski both "want" Gore. Miller also mentions the Redskins and Dolphins as possible landing spots. Gore recently called out the 49ers on social media, and appears headed toward an exit from the only team he's ever known.
Related: Redskins, Colts, Dolphins

Keep this coming, 55. Great stuff as it's good to know who might be angling for whom. I'm one of those junkies who like the off season every bit as much as the regular season. Maybe this speaks more to the Jets lack of success lately, I don't know.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Larry Fitzgerald - WR - Cardinals
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald are "closing in on" a new multi-year contract.
It will reportedly allow Fitzgerald to finish his career in the desert, but more importantly knock his massive $23.6 million cap hit down considerably. Getting Fitzgerald figured out was Arizona's top priority of the offseason and it needed to be done before the start of the new league year on March 10. Fitzgerald will turn 32 before next season and is coming off one of his worst statistical years. Michael Floyd is the No. 1 receiver in this spread-the-wealth passing offense.

Josh McCown - QB - Free Agent
Free agent QB Josh McCown had breakfast with the Bears on Wednesday morning at the NFL Scouting Combine.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the Browns have also "expressed interest" in the soon-to-be 36-year-old, while NFL Network's Ian Rapoport adds that they're just two of eight teams poking around McCown. The quarterback class this offseason is so weak that McCown, who posted an ugly 11:14 TD:INT ratio across 11 games last season, is the darling of the ball. He'll have no trouble finding a job and will likely make a decision within the next couple weeks.
Related: Bears, Browns

Chiefs, Houston to talk Tuesday

Posted by Mike Florio on February 18, 2015, 9:42 AM EST
Houston
AP
As expected, the Chiefs and linebacker Justin Houston will make one last effort to work out a long-term deal, before Kansas City applies the franchise tag.

Per a league source, Chiefs G.M. John Dorsey and Houston’s agent, Joel Segal, are scheduled to meet on Tuesday in Indianapolis to discuss a long-term deal for the man who racked up 22.0 sacks in 2014.

Previously, Houston’s plan was to immediately sign the franchise tender if/when the Chiefs apply it. Now, Houston may have a different plan in mind, if a long-term deal isn’t worked out.

The Chiefs cleared some cap space on Tuesday by dumping receiver Donnie Avery and receiver A.J. Jenkins. That could be used to pay Houston on a long-term deal, or it could be used to fund his one-year franchise tag.

Permalink 3 Comments Feed for comments

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Lions G.M. “very optimistic” Ndamukong Suh deal is close

Posted by Darin Gantt on February 18, 2015, 1:43 PM EST
Wild Card Playoffs - Detroit Lions v Dallas Cowboys
Getty Images
Lions General Manager Martin Mayhew wasn’t able to step to the podium today and deliver news of a done deal (as Arizona’s Steve Keim was able to with Larry Fitzgerald), but he did offer a bit of somewhat surprising news Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Mayhew sounded more than a little positive about a deal for defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh.

“Very optimistic we’ll get something done,” Mayhew said. “I don’t have a timetable on when it’s going to happen, but I feel good about it.”

That would be a huge move, involving huge money for the Lions if it’s as close as Mayhew indicated.

Mayhew said the deal wasn’t done, but the “essential elements” were in place for a new deal.

Until we hear from Suh’s camp on this one, it’s hard to know how close they actually are.

But Mayhew stepped to the podium and brought it up unbidden, and sounded like a man with a huge burden off his shoulders.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Trent Baalke: Our intention is to have Frank Gore back

Posted by Josh Alper on February 18, 2015, 1:43 PM EST
Frank Gore
AP
Running back Frank Gore spent a little time last weekend wondering on Instagram if the 49ers were interested in having him back for the 2015 season, which prompted a response 49ers General Manager Trent Baalke.

Speaking from the NFL scouting combine on Wednesday, Baalke said that he reached out to Gore in the wake of his social media posting to let Gore know that the team had the same plans that they had at the end of the regular season. He went on to share the gist of those comments with anyone else interested in hearing them as well.

“It’s at the same place it was the last time we talked,” Baalke said, via CSNBayArea.com. “We’re still working on it. It’s not something that’s going to get done yesterday. It’ll take some time to resolve. It’s our intention to have Frank back.”

Gore has spent his entire 10-year NFL career with the 49ers and turned in his eighth 1,000-yard rushing season in 2014 to show that he’s still a productive back even when the team’s passing game can’t get on track. Whatever history Gore’s written with the organization, that kind of production could catch someone else’s eye and leave the 49ers with nothing but their intentions if a deal isn’t struck by early March.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brian Hoyer - QB - Browns
The Browns have yet to meet with free agent Brian Hoyer, and have begun "sniffing around" free agent Josh McCown.
Per ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi, the Browns and Hoyer have begun "drifting apart." McCown would be a downgrade from Hoyer, and going to Cleveland almost certainly wouldn't be McCown's first choice. Even for as limited a talent as Hoyer is, he would still be the Browns' best quarterback option for 2015.

Ryan Mathews - RB - Chargers
The Chargers will meet with the player rep for free agent Ryan Mathews at the Combine.
It would probably be in San Diego's best interest to let Mathews test the market, where his price tag won't be extraordinary based on his injury history. Mathews is a core piece of the Chargers' offense, but they should be able to retain him on the relative cheap. This year's loaded rookie running back class will also work against the market value of a player like Mathews.

Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
Lions GM Martin Mayhew said he's "very optimistic" Detroit will be able to re-sign free agent Ndamukong Suh.
"You have to make a serious financial commitment to him and we’re ready to work that out with him," said Mayhew. Signs have been pointing toward Suh re-signing with the Lions the past couple weeks. Mayhew will exhaust all options in the effort before eventually making Suh the league's highest-paid defender.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
Coach Gary Kubiak stated at the NFL Combine that the Broncos will do "everything we can" to retain free agents Julius and Demaryius Thomas.
This is the first open indication of the offseason that the Broncos want Julius back. Demaryius is a virtual lock to stay in Denver. Keeping Julius will be trickier, especially if the Broncos are forced to tag Demaryius. Our guess is that Demaryius stays and Julius goes, but it's not out of the question that the Broncos keep both. They'll just have to get creative.

Michael Crabtree - WR - 49ers
The 49ers plan to meet with the player rep for free agent Michael Crabtree at the NFL Combine.
Crabtree is a homegrown talent and the 49ers would probably like to retain him, but only at a reasonable price after the most disappointing season of his career. Crabtree simply hasn't been the same player since tearing his Achilles' tendon during the 2013 offseason. He's entering his age-28 season.

Jay Cutler - QB - Bears
Coach John Fox and GM Ryan Pace were both noncommittal Wednesday when asked about Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall's futures with the Bears.
"I don't think there's any question there's ability and talent there," Fox said of Cutler. "But there's a lot more that goes into it." Fox and Pace also both hinted at reservations about Marshall's participation on HBO's in-season Inside the NFL show, with Pace stating "football needs to be the No. 1 priority." Combined with the NFL's quarterback shortage, Cutler's contract still makes it likely the Bears retain him. Marshall's future is less assured because the Bears could save cap dollars by moving on. It sounds like the Bears haven't made final decisions on either player. Marshall would be more likely to get the boot.

Mike Glennon - QB - Buccaneers
Coach Lovie Smith and GM Jason Licht threw support behind Mike Glennon at the NFL Combine on Wednesday.
"We like Mike Glennon," Licht said. "We want him to be a part of our future. We like Mike Glennon a lot." The Bucs are doing everything they can to drive up Glennon's trade value. "Mike Glennon can be a quarterback that plays at a high level in the league," added Smith. Besides something named "Seth Lobato," Glennon's the only quarterback on Tampa's roster at the moment. Despite talking up Glennon, Licht and Smith weren't afraid to discuss both Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota on Wednesday. The Bucs are a near-lock to take a quarterback at No. 1.