Around The NFL

nycdan

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Good...either way it weakens a division rival. Rex...the gift that keeps on giving...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
U

ucrenegade

LB Jamari Lattimore is visiting the Jets today, source says. After four seasons in Green Bay, could be looking at new landing spot.
Retweeted by Kimberley A. Martin

S

sg3

He may be as good or marginally better than Chandler, certainly not 20 million guarantee better

Just another example of their new HC applying his usual WRECKSing ball to the Bills

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
that's insane money for a good, but not great, TE

Wait, we pay David Harris, at 31, $7 mill and its good value...they pay a 26 year old TE that is 6'3 255 and runs a 4.6 40 $7ish per year (did I mention their TE runs 4.6 and they have Harvin, Watkins, and McCoy)...and its too much money? Careful throwing stones in glass houses...I'd rather have Clay at that money than old man Harris...

S

sg3

Wait, we pay David Harris, at 31, $7 mill and its good value...they pay a 26 year old TE that is 6'3 255 and runs a 4.6 40 $7ish per year (did I mention their TE runs 4.6 and they have Harvin, Watkins, and McCoy)...and its too much money? Careful throwing stones in glass houses...I'd rather have Clay at that money than old man Harris...
As Reagan said about Carter in their 1980 debate......

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics

umm...i said we slightly overpaid for harris. so not sure where you are getting this "good value" comment from.

and harris has a much, much better track record in the nfl than charles clay. he's been our leading tackler every year since 2009. he was overpaid, but he's also still a productive player and a leader on defense.

also, harris' deal is effectively a 2 year deal. we'll have to wait to see the details of clay's deal.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
umm...i said we slightly overpaid for harris. so not sure where you are getting this "good value" comment from.

and harris has a much, much better track record in the nfl than charles clay. he's been our leading tackler every year since 2009. he was overpaid, but he's also still a productive player and a leader on defense.

also, harris' deal is effectively a 2 year deal. we'll have to wait to see the details of clay's deal.

Well, in 2013 he played all 16 games and finished 6th in receptions for a TE behind Graham, Gaunzalez, Olsen, Witten, and Gates...last year he played in 14 games and finished with 58 receptions, 12th for TEs in receptions. To me, he's a top 10 TE, likely in the #6-8 best TEs in the NFL and is only 26. I dont think paying $7 mill per year for the 6-8 best TE in the NFL is too much. Just my opinion.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
clay last year was tied for 12th in TE in receptions (tied with zach ertz and mychael rivera). he had 3 TDs, which tied him for 22nd. he had 31 1st downs, which made him 15th. he averaged 10.5 yards per reception which made him something like 65th in TEs (and about 28th in TEs that caught at least 20 passes).

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
clay last year was tied for 12th in TE in receptions (tied with zach ertz and mychael rivera). he had 3 TDs, which tied him for 22nd. he had 31 1st downs, which made him 15th. he averaged 10.5 yards per reception which made him something like 65th in TEs (and about 28th in TEs that caught at least 20 passes).

If I could trade Amaro for him today i'd do it. Clay last year had 3 drops on 84 targets, Amaro had 6 dropped passes on 53 targets. Clay finished 20th in TEs in dropped passes also, 19 had more than him led by Graham with 8.

Amaro had the 4th most drops of any TE in football last year.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
If I could trade Amaro for him today i'd do it. Clay last year had 3 drops on 84 targets, Amaro had 6 dropped passes on 53 targets. Clay finished 20th in TEs in dropped passes also, 19 had more than him led by Graham with 8.

Amaro had the 4th most drops of any TE in football last year.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2014/

amaro is a rookie who will make $615k this year.

i agree clay is a quality TE. i'd probably put him in the top 12 or so.

my contention isn't that he's not better than jace amaro today (although long-term, that is to be determined...clay had 16 and 18 receptions his first 2 years). it's that he's not (imo) deserving of a 5 year, $38 million contract with over $20 million guaranteed.

he's not an elite TE (gronk, graham, thomas) and probably not in the next tier with guys like bennett and olsen. it's hard to compare him with graybeards like gates and witten who are near the end of their HoF careers, or even a solid vet like miller. he's in the next grouping with a whole bunch of guys like kelce, donnell, ertz, fleener, cameron. unless you are really elite, TEs are almost a dime a dozen commodity (you can get comparable production for reed, allen, daniels, gresham, walker, etc...). so to me, this is a big overpay for a good, not great, player at a position where you can get comparable production for much less money. now if he steps up and becomes an elite TE, then it may be worth it.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
amaro is a rookie who will make $615k this year.

i agree clay is a quality TE. i'd probably put him in the top 12 or so.

my contention isn't that he's not better than jace amaro today (although long-term, that is to be determined...clay had 16 and 18 receptions his first 2 years). it's that he's not (imo) deserving of a 5 year, $38 million contract with over $20 million guaranteed.

he's not an elite TE (gronk, graham, thomas) and probably not in the next tier with guys like bennett and olsen. it's hard to compare him with graybeards like gates and witten who are near the end of their HoF careers, or even a solid vet like miller. he's in the next grouping with a whole bunch of guys like kelce, donnell, ertz, fleener, cameron. unless you are really elite, TEs are almost a dime a dozen commodity (you can get comparable production for reed, allen, daniels, gresham, walker, etc...). so to me, this is a big overpay for a good, not great, player at a position where you can get comparable production for much less money. now if he steps up and becomes an elite TE, then it may be worth it.

Wouldnt you say the same thing about a middle aged MLB? is that still a position of value in today's NFL? if harris,, an average MLB at this point in his career, he was "good" in his prime and never "great," gets $7 mill and Davis is the stronger of the 2 players, will Davis be an 8-10 mill or more MLB (since he's better in coverage than Harris)? isnt Harris just a slightly better Teo or Spikes? I dont know, I guess I value 26 year old pass catching TEs at $7 mill better than aging MLBs at 7 mill, especially in today's NFL.

I think Clay is as good as Cameron if not better, and Clay playing with a legit QB, like the TEs you named: Brees, Romo, Brady, Peyton Manning, Big Ben, Cutler/Eli, and Rivers would have 70-90 receptions per season. We'll never know if he truly would, but if he can get 69 last year with Tannehill, I think playing with Brees gets him 80-90 recpetions like Graham and moves him into that top tier 2 category...but maybe you think Tannehill is better than I do or Clay is worse than I do.

I think Clay is special and would be the best NYJ TE since ive been a fan of the team if he was on our roster. Either way, jets, Miami, or Bills, he'll rot because none of the teams have a QB to get him the ball any way.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
why do you keep talking about david harris? i said we overpaid for him (albeit really on a 2-year deal). not sure what he has to do with this conversation at all.

as to clay playing with a better QB, that can probably be said about a lot of players. in this case, he will go to buffalo and play with ej manuel or matt cassel. if they had brees, rodgers, big ben, romo, etc..., maybe he would produce stats worthy of his contract. as it is, he will probably remain somewhere in the top 10-15 TEs in productivity. to me, that's not worth the big contract, not in this era of a handful of elite TEs and then a dozen plus comparable and somewhat interchangeable guys.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
why do you keep talking about david harris? i said we overpaid for him (albeit really on a 2-year deal). not sure what he has to do with this conversation at all.

as to clay playing with a better QB, that can probably be said about a lot of players. in this case, he will go to buffalo and play with ej manuel or matt cassel. if they had brees, rodgers, big ben, romo, etc..., maybe he would produce stats worthy of his contract. as it is, he will probably remain somewhere in the top 10-15 TEs in productivity. to me, that's not worth the big contract, not in this era of a handful of elite TEs and then a dozen plus comparable and somewhat interchangeable guys.

Well, if you're the GM of the Bills, and the QB market being what it is, all you can do is load Cassell and Manual with as much talent as possible. If Cassell is ever going to be as good as HYATT has told us he can be, having Wood and Watkins outside, Harvin and Clay inside, and McCoy and Fred Jackson in the backfield with Greg Roman as OC is doing the most a GM can do to make the best possible situation for a successful QB, IMO.

Did they have to pay a little extra due to the transition tag also? Probably. But I think the Bills have put together a very formidable roster when you combine that with what they already had on D (#4 D overall). If they get average QB play from Cassel or Manuel, that team is going to be very tough with those weapons...

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
i don't disagree that the bills did a nice job adding weapons to their offense and giving them the best chance to maximize production out of their mediocre QB stable. i just think they overpaid for a good, not great, TE