Around The NFL

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Strange. I thought we'd hear something by now. Usually going to dinner means sealing the deal. I expected Gilchrist and Cro to be done by tonight at the latest. It can be a bad sign when it drags on this far. Hopefully,it's just dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

If Idzik taught us anything it is that nothing is a done deal.

F

flgreen

No updates on Gilchrist who was supposed to be having dinner with the Jets tonight?

Nothing on Cromartie either, who was also supposed to be in negotiations with the Jets?

Just a guess, but I suspect Cro has left the building. What makes me think that is during Revis presser he said he was going to call Cro to get the old Batman and Robin tandem back together.

There was an hour and a half delay before this presser. Nothing special happened in it. Revis has been in town since 4:30. I think they were hoping to introduce Revis and Cro together for splash purposes, but just couldn't agree on #'s with Cro. It was rumored he was looking for 6 million.

Stay tuned

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Interesting comment byBugger McFarland this AM, teams that are drafting well are only adding a couple players in free agency (think how many free agents Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Seahawks, 9ers, and Bengals have signed).

I was thinking of our own free agent signings and it couldn't be more true.

After drafting Milliner, Wilson, and McDougle, we have to sign 2-3 CBs.
after drafting Hill, Evans, Saunders, and Enu - we need to sign Decker and trade for Marshall.
after drafting Winters, Aboushi, and Dozier - we need upgrades at OG and RT.
After drafting Geno, McElroy, and Tahj Boyd - we need to trade a pick for Fitzpatrick and still need a young QB todevelop.
After drafting Coples, George, and Reily - we still need to find a pass rush.

I know we are all enjoying this free agency period, but let's hope Mac improves our drafting as well as he's improved our abilities to fill key needs through free agency, because the only thing Mike T, Idzik, and Mac have been good at (for Mac it's a "so far" statement) is evaluating established talent, IMO.

J

Jet Setter

Yep, that's very telling. Swinging and missing in the draft has it's costs.

J

Jet Setter

With Cro, it might be the length of the contract. I'm guessing he wants 3 or more and the Jets are thinking differently.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
[TWEET]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Former Bears safety Chris Conte has a visit lined up to the Jets if the contract details with the Bucs fall through.</p>— vaughn mcclure (@vxmcclure23) <a href="https://twitter.com/vxmcclure23/status/576001914627842048">March 12, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>[/TWEET]

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I think we need to forget about Crow, when you count the money we need to put away for the draft and the mega deal we have to be preparing for Mo Wilkerson, there's not enough cap space left to bring in another veteran corner that we don't really need. I would just concentrate on FS now, Gilchrist, then turn our attention to getting Wilkerson extended, mindful of the fact that Sheldon is next.

J

Jet Setter

I think we need to forget about Crow, when you count the money we need to put away for the draft and the mega deal we have to be preparing for Mo Wilkerson, there's not enough cap space left to bring in another veteran corner that we don't really need. I would just concentrate on FS now, Gilchrist or Conte, then turn our attention to getting Wilkerson extended, mindful of the fact that Sheldon is next.

We know how emotional Cro is. He's probably setting a high number out there with too many years thinking he is going to retire here. He's really only a luxury insurance piece with Milliner waiting in the wings. The Jets would be smart to scale back on his demands and wait him out. He's already foolishly waived his leverage by stating how badly he wants to play here. Let him sober up and return later at a lower cost and shorter-term contract if that's what's going on.

And you're right, there are other safeties out there as well. Parker has yet to be signed as well. Couldn't the Jets be more marketable now for safeties with Revis here?

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Dennis Waszak Jr. ✔ @DWAZ73

No. 15 on #Jets ? WR Saalim Hakim challenges Brandon Marshall to 40-yd dash for jersey number. (h/t

hakim is better off taking a monetary settlement. he may win a race with marshall, but could be a long shot to actually make the roster (or any nfl roster)

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
He's really only a luxury insurance piece with Milliner waiting in the wings.
Exactly, and we really can't afford a luxury considering we have another Revis deal staring us in the face with Wilkerson.

And its not only Milliner, its McDougle too. I hated that pick not because I hate the player, but because I thought it was a reach to draft him as early as we did when he was coming off a lost season to injuries. But McDougle has talent and he'll compete with Milliner for that other CB spot if he's healthy. So really all we need, health wise, is to get lucky with one of these guys, Milliner or McDougle. Two is gravy.

That said, I agree that if Crow sobers up and realizes he's not getting more than two years at his age, or a lot of money either, then by all means the more the merrier, but it has to be a good deal for us, otherwise its a luxury we can't afford.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Exactly, and we really can't afford a luxury considering we have another Revis deal staring us in the face with Wilkerson. And its not only Milliner, its McDougle too. I hate that pick not because I hate the player, but because I thought it was a reach to draft him as early as we did when he was coming off a lost season to injuries. But McDougle has talent and he'll compete with Milliner for that other CB spot if he's healthy. So really all we need, health wise, is to get lucky with one of these guys, Milliner or McDougle. Two is gravy.

That said, I agree that if Crow sobers up and realizes he's not getting more than two years at his age, or a lot of money either, then by all means the more the merrier, but it has to be a good deal for us, otherwise its a luxury we can't afford.

You mean with about 4 starting WRs staring you in the face? Seriously.

On the other board, i was banging the drum for Moncreif with that pick, I know 51 loved Landry WR LSU, there were a couple high on Martavis Bryant, and Hobson, Pointdexter, and Cy can correct me, but I think all 4 of us liked Bruce Ellington from SC (I know I did but I remember there were some others high on him too)...and instead of taking a starting WR to develop with Decker (one thing I love about Decker is his willingnes to work with young players, he and Amaro seemed very close last year), we look at an injured nickel back...not sure how a #1 or #2 caliber WR isn't worth more than a nickel back on our big board, but not much under idzik's reign makes sense in retrospect for those fascinated by his "plan."

J

Jet Setter

On the other board, i was banging the drum for Moncreif with that pick, I know 51 loved Landry WR LSU, there were a couple high on Martavis Bryant, and Hobson, Pointdexter, and Cy can correct me, but I think all 4 of us liked Bruce Ellington from SC (I know I did but I remember there were some others high on him too)...and instead of taking a starting WR to develop with Decker (one thing I love about Decker is his willingnes to work with young players, he and Amaro seemed very close last year), we look at an injured nickel back...not sure how a #1 or #2 caliber WR isn't worth more than a nickel back on our big board, but not much under idzik's reign makes sense in retrospect for those fascinated by his "plan."

It seems like you're replying to the wrong post there as he's talking about Cro but I will reply to you in that I always found it very odd that the Jets passed on Martavous Bryant. I recall the Jet scouts gushing over him and there was chatter of using our 2nd rounder on him. Why they didn't take him with either of the 2 4th rounders was a mystery to me. Saunders wasn't on anyone's radar and I know Idzik got him to return punts but sheez, that would've been nice. Of course, Hill was still on the roster and probably was too similar in size and skill set at the time. That one and passing on Hutchens (they also liked him) at ILB in the 4th chapped me the most from that draft. I didn't much care for the Evans pick either.

I was on board with everything else. I understand John tried to trade up in the 2nd round and I believe his target was either Marquise Lee or Paul Johnson but that didn't happen. He tried to get a WR there. Bottom line was he wasn't aggressive in FA. He thought he had much more time to slowly, economically piece together this team. He was wrong.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics

I loved Moncrief and Martavis as did most of the guys on the other board where I post, and we were all FURIOUS when we passed on Moncrief for McDougle who would have been a good pick in the fifth or sixth round, heck I could even live with the forth, but was a massive reach in the third, then passed on Martavis for Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans, two more reaches in the forth round. Lets face it, Idzik had no effin' idea what he was doing, the guy was lost and I was screaming for his head after he totally botched free agency. After that, we he botched the draft too, I just went ballistic. I was one of the first Jets fans to say, OUT LOUD, that he is totally lost and we need to cut bait ASAP, before he digs us a hole it will be impossible to dig out of. And when he was fired, I immediately started beating the drum for the new GM to totally clean house with that disgraceful scouting staff, starting with Bradway. I wanted them all out after they flushed 12 picks in one of the strongest draft classes in decades.

L

Lakerfan80

How did Rex spend all that time at Clemson, watching his son play, and miss Bryant? Maybe he had no say..Saunders is gone, but maybe Evans can turn into a player.

J

Jet Setter

How did Rex spend all that time at Clemson, watching his son play, and miss Bryant? Maybe he had no say..Saunders is gone, but maybe Evans can turn into a player.

Rex was fully aware of Bryant. I remember reading about that.

That Evans pick was horrible from the standpoint that he wasn't available until after training camp. The team apparently wasn't aware of this.
I also hope he can do something. Among Evans, Enunwa, and Owusu I hope someone emerges to be a solid backup. An added bonus is that TJ Graham started 11 games playing for Gailey. I expect another WR to be drafted. Maybe a cheap veteran needs to be signed as well. I can think of one guy that could be a nice fit in Denarious Moore who has attracted zero attention thus far.

L

Lakerfan80

I didn't read that but if true then maybe it was out of Rex's control...I know everyone on the old board had Bryant at least rated in the top 10 receivers coming out...with no mention of Saunders or Evans.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I didn't read that but if true then maybe it was out of Rex's control...I know everyone on the old board had Bryant at least rated in the top 10 receivers coming out...with no mention of Saunders or Evans.
Idzik was a dope. We would have been better off with Walt (from Walter Football) making the picks. NO JOKE, and its not just Walter, the same applies to Tony Pauline, Rob Rang, Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. Basically anybody who has even the first clue about the draft and how it works. Heck, any Jet fan who follows the draft could have done better.

He lucked into Sheldon Richardson. I chalk that up to even a broken clock being right twice a day, and make no mistake about it, if we only had one first round pick he would have taken Milliner, not Richardson.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Browner - DB - Free Agent
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Saints are offering free agent CB Brandon Browner more than $5 million per year.
With Patrick Robinson a free agent, Keenan Lewis coming off an injury-plagued down season, and 2014 second-rounder Stanley Jean-Baptiste playing just eight snaps as a rookie, the Saints are desperate for corner help. Browner is expected to have a hot market as he attempts to land one more big contract.
Related: Saints

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Browner - DB - Free Agent

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Saints are offering free agent CB Brandon Browner more than $5 million per year.
Go as high as you need to go, Saints, steal another one away from those cheating SOB's, I'm rooting for you!

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
He was cut over $5.5 mill, so he's obviously looking for similar ball park money. I think the team that adds the most years to that $5 mill annual number gets him.