Around The NFL

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Truth, if you put every wr, including those that went undrafted, and put their names I n a hat and randomly selected 3 wr names, it would be impossible to to not select 1 name with more talent than our 3 wrs combined. And we had 12 picks to work with to get legit wrs. Terrible.

weren't you the one saying that shaq evans reminded you of jerricho cotchery? this was back when you liked the draft picks before you hated them

Parcells123

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
Regardless, Idzik brought in Owasu and should get credit for it. If we're going to murder him for failed picks and acquisitions, we should at least give him credit for good picks and acquisitions. Amidst all this criticism of what Idzik's done wrong, I never seem to hear about guys like Sheldon Richardson, Eric Decker, or Chris Ivory. As usual, it's where we prefer to shift our focus.

This could not be more true. Why are so many posters so black and white? They hated Idzik so everything he did was terrible. Isn't it more nuanced than that ? ( rhetorical question).
Although I agree Idzik was over his head in some areas-some of his acquisitions were very good and he left the Jets in great financial shape. If the Jets are going to be successful going forward, some of the credit goes to Idzik even though some posters won't admit it.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
This could not be more true. Why are so many posters so black and white? They hated Idzik so everything he did was terrible. Isn't it more nuanced than that ? ( rhetorical question).
Although I agree Idzik was over his head in some areas-some of his acquisitions were very good and he left the Jets in great financial shape. If the Jets are going to be successful going forward, some of the credit goes to Idzik even though some posters won't admit it.

Totally agree..he was not a personnel guy but eradicated the salary cap hell immensely..Id like him being my financial/retirement planner.....The Jets were in serious trouble 2 years ago..and all the free agents Jets have gotten are a tribute to the money he left....and to be honest..alot of the guys that "walked out of the building w/o a contract " last year..don't seem like the are worth the money they were seeking...

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
One Patriot FA signing that was good for them was signing Jabaal Sheard OLB/DE from the Browns. I also think Brandon Gibson WR & Scott Chandler TE is a pretty good signing.

I wonder what Kacey Rodgers our new DC thinks of about stud DL Randy Starks being released by the Flippers ? I think Starks is an upgrade over Douzable & Ellis.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
One Patriot FA signing that was good for them was signing Jabaal Sheard OLB/DE from the Browns. I also think Brandon Gibson WR & Scott Chandler TE is a pretty good signing.

I wonder what Kacey Rodgers our new DC thinks of about stud DL Randy Starks being released by the Flippers ? I think Starks is an upgrade over Douzable & Ellis.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well, I am sure if the Jets signed Sheard, Gibson, and Chandler, and the Patriots signed Revis, Cromartie, Skrine, Gilchrist, Carpenter, and Brandon Marshall, they would be laughing at our additions and patting themselves on the back for their off season (wait, that sounds like last offseason). I think Ill take what we got over what they have added...

Also, I want Douzable and Ellis back. Stark is old.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Totally agree..he was not a personnel guy but eradicated the salary cap hell immensely..Id like him being my financial/retirement planner.....The Jets were in serious trouble 2 years ago..and all the free agents Jets have gotten are a tribute to the money he left....and to be honest..alot of the guys that "walked out of the building w/o a contract " last year..don't seem like the are worth the money they were seeking...

I always said that I loved the way Idzik approached FA, not overspending on prohibitive contracts, and building a franchise through the draft. Where Idzik lost me was his atrocious decisions made in the draft. I mean decisions that left arm-chair GM's like all of us just scratching our heads.

His philosophy was always on point. But then again it takes more than formulating the right plan to be successful. You still have to execute said plan.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I always said that I loved the way Idzik approached FA, not overspending on prohibitive contracts, and building a franchise through the draft. Where Idzik lost me was his atrocious decisions made in the draft. I mean decisions that left arm-chair GM's like all of us just scratching our heads.

His philosophy was always on point. But then again it takes more than formulating the right plan to be successful. You still have to execute said plan.

As a rule, overspending occurs the first few days and the bargains come later. Do you like the moves we made so far?

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
As a rule, overspending occurs the first few days and the bargains come later. Do you like the moves we made so far?

I think we had to do it so yes. That money was either going to become dead money or we were going to have to spend big, even overspend in some cases. I think Macc has made us a playoff contender year 1 of his tenure. But the flip side is we are still no super bowl contender, not by a long shot.

The real merit of Macc's work will be moving fwd to get younger at some key positions and establishing the franchise QB. That will be his mark. We are old at CB now (Revis and Cro 30+), old at LB (Harris and Pace 30+), and old on the OL.

I don't think it takes someone special to throw 170 million of FA money to build a playoff contender. Idzik was right when he believed a sustainable winning franchise was built through the draft. Will Macc be able to execute that better than Idzik? We need a RB, OLB, and QB desperately. We also need a young WR and LT to start grooming to replace Marshall and Brick in a couple years. Macc's hit-ratio on those needs come April will define his legacy here.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This is anti-Idzik bias in the extreme. Get past your disdain for the guy and at least give Evans, Enunwa, and Owusu a chance. Don't assume they're crap just because you don't like Idzik. Owusu looked crazy good against Miami. He was lighting it up. Scrubs don't typically do that in NFL games on Sunday. I'll reserve judgment on all three before assuming we have nothing beyond Kerley.
Hill

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'm confident in 1-3 (Marshall, Decker, Kerley), and pretty sure between Owusu, Evans, and Enumwa that at least one will emerge. My money would be on Owusu as an early favorite, but I'm not counting either of the other two out just yet. They were middle round picks. You cannot expect players taken in the 5th and 6th rounds to be immediate contributors. They're developmental players.

Yes, we missed the boat on a couple of other WR's in last year's draft. I've acknowledged that more than once. But assuming that we've got nothing in the aforementioned WR's seems to be based more on Idzik hatred than actually giving these players a chance to develop in year two.
Salas

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Regardless, Idzik brought in Owasu and should get credit for it. If we're going to murder him for failed picks and acquisitions, we should at least give him credit for good picks and acquisitions. Amidst all this criticism of what Idzik's done wrong, I never seem to hear about guys like Sheldon Richardson, Eric Decker, or Chris Ivory. As usual, it's where we prefer to shift our focus.
Giving him credit for a fa is not on topic, the topic is his decisions during the draft.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I personally think Idzik was terrible, but lets look at the whole picture. As I stated in a previous post What have we accomplishes in the last 10 years from our GM's and scouting dept from Rds 2 - 7? How many All Pro's do we have in Rds 2-7? Do we develop these players? Another poster thinks we have done great a great job in the development of our players (Snacks, Allen, Douzable). That's it after 10 yrs. Snacks and Douzable, I believe are FA, but who is considered an All-Pro that was not drafted in the 1st RD? So maybe Idzik was not as bad as other GM's.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 3m 3 minutes ago The #Cowboys gave former #Chargers ILB Andrew Gachkar a 2-year deal worth up to $5.5M, source says. Rolando McClain insurance?

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 5h 5 hours ago #Browns brought Dwayne Bowe in to visit with the intention of not letting him leave. Big commitment to sign a top WR #Boweheldhostage

_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 3h 3 hours ago
#Packers CB Tramon Williams is visiting the Cleveland #Browns today, source said. They had been looking for corner help

_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 5h 5 hours ago
Former #Bengals DE Michael Johnson is again current #Bengals DE. He reached a deal with Cincy, as @AdamSchefter said. 4-year agreement.

_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 5h 5 hours ago
Awesome RT @pauldehnerjr: Funny aspect: Bengals will get a third round compensatory pick this year for losing MJ, even as he's back on team

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Giving him credit for a fa is not on topic, the topic is his decisions during the draft.

Ok, let's stick to the draft.

Richardson (Great pick)
Milliner (Incomplete)
Geno Smith (not working out, but was great value in 2nd)
Winters (bad)
Aboushi (good)
Campbell (bad)
Bohanon (good 7th round value)

Pryor (incomplete but promising)
Amaro (good pick)
McDougle (incomplete)
Saunders (bad)
Evans (incomplete)
Dozier (incomplete)
George (we'll never know, waived early and played well elsewhere)
Dixon (bad)
Enunwa (incomplete)
Enemkpali (potentially an outstanding pick)
Boyd (bad)
Reilly (good 7th round value. He's still here)

I don't sweat bad picks beyond the 5th round. Most of these players don't make it anywhere. So looking big picture, there are still more questions than answers. You cannot reasonably judge the "INC's" because they haven't played enough yet. I don't think Idzik crushed these two drafts by any means. But he didn't whiff either. No matter what Manish Mehta chooses to believe.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics

Richardson (Great pick)
Milliner (Incomplete)
Winters (bad)
Aboushi (good)
Campbell (bad)

Amaro (good pick)
McDougle (incomplete)
Saunders (bad)
Evans (incomplete)
Dozier (incomplete)
Dixon (bad)
Enunwa (incomplete)
Boyd (bad)

I don't sweat bad picks beyond the 5th round. Most of these players don't make it anywhere. So looking big picture, there are still more questions than answers. You cannot reasonably judge the "INC's" because they haven't played enough yet. I don't think Idzik crushed these two drafts by any means. But he didn't whiff either. No matter what Manish Mehta chooses to believe.

I am with you it is too early for a fair evaluation but give it up I have the hate just blinds people.

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
55 changing an opinion is OK I do it a lot I think Greg would not mention it as much if you just said this is how I feel now and not sound so positive in your posts now. There is no need for the animosity and back and forth jabs.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Richardson (Great pick)
Milliner (Incomplete)
Winters (bad)
Aboushi (good)
Campbell (bad)

Amaro (good pick)
McDougle (incomplete)
Saunders (bad)
Evans (incomplete)
Dozier (incomplete)
Dixon (bad)
Enunwa (incomplete)
Boyd (bad)

So basically one good pick out of 20...