Around The NFL

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I always said that I loved the way Idzik approached FA, not overspending on prohibitive contracts, and building a franchise through the draft. Where Idzik lost me was his atrocious decisions made in the draft. I mean decisions that left arm-chair GM's like all of us just scratching our heads.

His philosophy was always on point. But then again it takes more than formulating the right plan to be successful. You still have to execute said plan.

Fiscally he did a fantastic job but you really have to question the talent evaluators that he hired. IDK who he had advising him on those picks but whomever it was should never work as a talent evaluator again! [emoji35][emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NYJETSDAN16

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Fiscally he did a fantastic job but you really have to question the talent evaluators that he hired. IDK who he had advising him on those picks but whomever it was should never work as a talent evaluator again! [emoji35][emoji35]

Well said. This is why i absolutley loved when Macagana came in and cleaned house immediatley. It will be his men, his final decision based on the people he entrusted.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well said. This is why i absolutley loved when Macagana came in and cleaned house immediatley. It will be his men, his final decision based on the people he entrusted.

I'm definitely excited to see who he picks in the draft this year. His specialty is personnel and talent evaluation so I'm expecting us to pick up some good players.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
So basically one good pick out of 20...

Actually, my math says more than one good pick. Re-read my post.

If the fans base the success of a draft solely on getting players as good as Sheldon Richardson, that's not only unrealistic, but unfair to ANY GM.

U

ucrenegade

I don't think the wr's we drafted should be judged until they have a real qb getting them the ball.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't think the wr's we drafted should be judged until they have a real qb getting them the ball.
I agree, I believe Idziks picks were poor compared to the talent immediately surrounding each pick. But I'm not saying these guys can't be taught, but you can't win in the nfl by hoping. With the depth we've just created, these young guys won't be getting any first team reps.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ok, let's stick to the draft.

Richardson (Great pick)
Milliner (Incomplete)
Geno Smith (not working out, but was great value in 2nd)
Winters (bad)
Aboushi (good)
Campbell (bad)
Bohanon (good 7th round value)

Pryor (incomplete but promising)
Amaro (good pick)
McDougle (incomplete)
Saunders (bad)
Evans (incomplete)
Dozier (incomplete)
George (we'll never know, waived early and played well elsewhere)
Dixon (bad)
Enunwa (incomplete)
Enemkpali (potentially an outstanding pick)
Boyd (bad)
Reilly (good 7th round value. He's still here)

I don't sweat bad picks beyond the 5th round. Most of these players don't make it anywhere. So looking big picture, there are still more questions than answers. You cannot reasonably judge the "INC's" because they haven't played enough yet. I don't think Idzik crushed these two drafts by any means. But he didn't whiff either. No matter what Manish Mehta chooses to believe.
Ok, so I reread the list, and I'm not arguing just discussing. The only impact player in 2 years is Richardson, he is not my standard, just the only impact draft pick. Amaro I'm excited to find out about, but no impact last year after a beast receiving year in college, and going to a qb like geno who desperately needed a te to dump junk passes to, he was mostly invisible while coming to life a little at the end.
Otherwise the only good picks listed are situational, complimentary, 3rd string guys. Overwhelmingly a list of misses and questions.
Let's be honest, idzik was a cap guy, so he leaned on his team hard for these picks.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
this is not meant as a defense of idzik (ducks for cover anyway), but one thing to consider about idzik is that the reason we had 12 draft picks last year was because of his plan in his 1st year to allow FAs to walk and limit signing guys who would hurt our net compensatory picks. he mostly targeted guys who were cut by their teams (no compensatory picks awarded), as opposed to guys who hit unrestricted free agency.

comp picks are awarded on a net basis (net losses over signings, factoring in contracts the players receive) and his actions led to the team being awarded 4 extra compensatory picks. now it is certainly a fair argument to make that he did poorly with those picks (even if i think some picks are being judged pre-maturely). but when people cite the 12 wasted draft picks, keep in mind teams only start with 7 picks. so going from 7 to 12 was due to trades and free agency strategies to maximize comp picks.

idzik did a good job cleaning up tanny's messes from a cap perspective and adding extra picks. obviously he fell short on talent acquisition through drafting and free agency.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
this is not meant as a defense of idzik (ducks for cover anyway), but one thing to consider about idzik is that the reason we had 12 draft picks last year was because of his plan in his 1st year to allow FAs to walk and limit signing guys who would hurt our net compensatory picks. he mostly targeted guys who were cut by their teams (no compensatory picks awarded), as opposed to guys who hit unrestricted free agency.

comp picks are awarded on a net basis (net losses over signings, factoring in contracts the players receive) and his actions led to the team being awarded 4 extra compensatory picks. now it is certainly a fair argument to make that he did poorly with those picks (even if i think some picks are being judged pre-maturely). but when people cite the 12 wasted draft picks, keep in mind teams only start with 7 picks. so going from 7 to 12 was due to trades and free agency strategies to maximize comp picks.

idzik did a good job cleaning up tanny's messes from a cap perspective and adding extra picks. obviously he fell short on talent acquisition through drafting and free agency.

Good job of adding some perspective to the argument.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

I'm still curious why Idzik gets the 100% blame on the draft choices ? Jeff Bauer was Director of College Scouting, Terry Bradway was a VP of Scouting, a whole team of professional scouts, plus Rex had a lot more input than he gets "credit" for. I'd bet that Pryor was 100% Rex's pick. Bottom line, the collapse of Idzik was Woody Johnson's fault for not firing Rex before he got there, and limiting the amount of cash he could spend in free agency. IMO, if Idzik had traded up in the 2nd round to get Lee WR or taken Moncrief WR instead of McDougle CB, we would have had a better team last year. It's not all Idzik's fault guys ! Let's move on already, he's in Jacksonville.

Go Jets...Cyborg

J

Jet Setter

I'm still curious why Idzik gets the 100% blame on the draft choices ? Jeff Bauer was Director of College Scouting, Terry Bradway was a VP of Scouting, a whole team of professional scouts, plus Rex had a lot more input than he gets "credit" for. I'd bet that Pryor was 100% Rex's pick. Bottom line, the collapse of Idzik was Woody Johnson's fault for not firing Rex before he got there, and limiting the amount of cash he could spend in free agency. IMO, if Idzik had traded up in the 2nd round to get Lee WR or taken Moncrief WR instead of McDougle CB, we would have had a better team last year. It's not all Idzik's fault guys ! Let's move on already, he's in Jacksonville.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I read where Pryor was revealed by John to Rex as his guy. In that article, Rex admits to warming up to him immediately and being fully on board with the pick by May.

And things were not all his fault but he wasn't working out either. Did a great job in getting those comp picks and dumping contracts but what led to Billy Mumphrey's biggest downfall was his inability to land free agents. When you pile on a few misses and inexplicable picks along with his penchant for selecting guys with an injury history (which backfired) for maximum potential value. Geno and Rex didn't exactly help things out. It was a bad situation and one where he didn't get to select his own coach, much less an OC. Bad management from the top. He never had a chance.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
love the billy mumphrey reference...lol

Embarrassingly, I had to look it up in the Seinfeld dictionary:

"Billy Mumphrey – (related terms: Billy Mumphrey stories) 1. main character in a unpublished manuscript that Elaine was to read for her interview with Viking Press. 2. it was “a story about love, deception, greed, lust and…unbridled enthusiasm.” 3. quote: “You see Elaine, Billy was a simple country boy. You might say a cockeyed optimist, who got himself mixed up in the high stakes game of world diplomacy and international intrigue.” — Kramer 4. episode: The Doodle

Great reference.

njimport

5th Year Team Option
Jet Fanatics
NFL Free Agency 2015: Grading Every Team's 1st Week per Bleacher report
Key Additions: CB Darrelle Revis, CB Buster Skrine, CB Antonio Cromartie, S Marcus Gilchrist, OG James Carpenter, QB Ryan Fitzpatrick (trade)

Key Losses: WR Percy Harvin (cut), CB Phillip Adams

Even without counting Brandon Marshall—who was traded to the Jets a few days before free agency hit—things could not have gone better in New York for new general manager Mike Maccagnan and fans.

The Jets had one of the worst secondaries in the league last season—partially due to injury but mostly due to roster deficiencies. That is certainly not the case any longer after just one week of free agency.

New York signed Buster Skrine away from the Cleveland Browns to get things started, but the Jets got the jewel of free-agency defensive backs when they lured Darrelle Revis away from division rival New England.

Of course, it helped that owner Woody Johnson was willing to shell out $39 million guaranteed to do it, but Revis is a Jet again, as is his old running mate, Antonio Cromartie.

An upgrade at safety in Marcus Gilchrist capped a fantastic week, and the Jets now have one of the best secondaries in the league. Again.

Grade: A+

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Actually, my math says more than one good pick. Re-read my post.

If the fans base the success of a draft solely on getting players as good as Sheldon Richardson, that's not only unrealistic, but unfair to ANY GM.
A lot of what defines a draft is not only the players you take, but the players you DIDN'T TAKE when you took the guys that you took. For example, its absolutely inexcusable that Idzik took McDougle, Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans with Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant on the board when they took the former. Any fan with a $10 draft guide, any draft guide, even the one his neighbor put together in his basement, would have known to take the latter and it wasn't even close. IMO that alone was grounds for Idzik's termination, because it represented rank incompetence in the extreme.

For months leading up to the draft Jets fans were talking about Moncrief and Bryant being uber sleepers we can snag after RD 1, maybe RD's 2 or 3, 4 would be been a heist. During the same time I don't recall a single Jets fan even mentioning the names "McDougle and Evans", and Saunders was being touted as a punt returner more than a receiver. All were considered late rounders or UDFA's. That he took them ahead of Moncrief & Bryant is inexplicable.

J

Jet Setter

A lot of what defines a draft is not only the players you take, but the players you DIDN'T TAKE when you took the guys that you took. For example, its absolutely inexcusable that Idzik took Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans with Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant on the board when they took the former. Any fan with a $10 draft guide, any draft guide, even the one his neighbor put together in his basement, would have known to take the latter and it wasn't even close. IMO that alone was grounds for Idzik's termination, because it represented rank incompetence in the extreme.

Moncrief went in the 3rd after the Jets picked McDougal. McDougal was a head-scratcher at the time and when they got Saunders I had a sinking feeling that Idzik didn't actually know the talent. Then he took Shaq Evans and I was steaming mad. Martavis Bryant was on the board and a coveted ILB Anthony Hutchens was still there. I became even more incensed when it was learned that Evans couldn't play in training camp and wouldn't essentially learn the playbook and miss the year. All for one stupid class and the Jets were seemingly unaware of this. BTW, I blame him as well. If you're a class short and it impedes your progress at a dream job, take the freaking class early. Many fans criticized me saying I was against education. Sheez.
And all the while, Idzik apologists were claiming there was some grand plan and couldn't admit that things were not going well. They were lying to themselves. Dishonest. That was the worst part of last offseason.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Moncrief went in the 3rd after the Jets picked McDougal. McDougal was a head-scratcher at the time and when they got Saunders I had a sinking feeling that Idzik didn't actually know the talent. Then he took Shaq Evans and I was steaming mad. Martavis Bryant was on the board and a coveted ILB Anthony Hutchens was still there. I became even more incensed when it was learned that Evans couldn't play in training camp and wouldn't essentially learn the playbook and miss the year. All for one stupid class and the Jets were seemingly unaware of this. BTW, I blame him as well. If you're a class short and it impedes your progress at a dream job, take the freaking class early. Many fans criticized me saying I was against education. Sheez.
And all the while, Idzik apologists were claiming there was some grand plan and couldn't admit that things were not going well. They were lying to themselves. Dishonest. That was the worst part of last offseason.

:) the bold part is an interesting statement. You'll find they continue to applaud and defend the moves to this day, but out of the other side of their mouth say they are okay he's gone...then why do they defend his decisions so emphatically? ...because they still want to see what's left of the plan unfold...the Idzik plan...its so painfully ridiculous its funny. Most of the time, they dont even realize what I just described is true...and these are highly educated people. Nevertheless, just another ugly chapter in Jets history.