Best Song Remakes

munchmemory

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Relatively obscure one here. One of my favorite bands, The James Gang (Joe Walsh era), covering "Bluebird" by Stephen Stills and The Buffalo Springfield. Tune kicks in at approx. :37.

Buffalo Springfield original:

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Just posted Judas Priests' fantastic cover of the Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac original in another thread. Definitely belongs here.

Fleetwood Mac original:

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Nice remake by Duran Duran of the classic from Led Zeppelin II, which turns 50 this month.

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Not exactly a remake recording, but...

Later

From back in the 70s when I first heard them, always felt no one ever covered Zeppelin better than Heart, especially Ann Wilson's vocals. There was even a bootleg of them doing "Rock & Roll", "Misty Mountain Hop" and "Stairway" going around.

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Really like Townes Van Zandt as a songwriter. One of his most famous tunes, "Ponch & Lefty" has been covered by lots of artists, including Willie Nelson and Emmylou Harris. I like this bare bones version by another under-appreciated songwriter, Steve Earle.

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Tommy Shaw (Styx/Damn Yankees) and Jack Blades (Night Ranger/Damn Yankees) put out a very good album of covers a while back called Influence. I always liked Shaw's vocals, which stand out here on this cover of a Yes classic, "Your Move".

Last edited:

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs put out two very good albums of covers called Under the Covers. Thought these two tunes were particularly noteworthy.

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Read the other day that Bowie loved Nirvanan's version better than his own. It is pretty great. Also the song Nirvana struggled with the most rehearsing for this classic live performance.

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
Had this tune come up on my shuffle play this weekend. Fantastic cover of Sonny Boy Williamson's "Good Morning School Girl", a blues standard. I was a huge fan of of Alvin Lee and Ten Years After, and Sonny Boy, of course.

Original by Sonny Boy Williamson:

munchmemory

Jet Fanatics
First heard this on the tv show Fargo, S2 if I remember correctly. Best one that I've heard. Just beautiful. Best in the deep winter on a dark day...

Fantastic post. I was a Womack fan back then and still play his stuff today. Great, great singer.

TonyFtLaud

I requested to be BANNED
Jet Fanatics
I'm sure they have been listed, I didn't read all the way through, but 1 Jimi All along the watchtower
2 Zeppelin Dazed and Confused
3 RHCP Higher Ground
4 Fugees Killing me softly
Are some personal favorites