Board Participation 2 RD Mock Draft - 8 GM's Needed

Sarge

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I don't know about you, but it's tough for me to see those pictures of Oregon DL Arik Armstead sitting Undrafted in the Green Room with his family - BRUTAL

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
See my last post, I agree that this is the ideal situation for Petty. But again, the term "reach" is relative, reaching a little bit for QB's is the norm because its such an important position to fill. Its so important that you can't even put it on the same scale as other positions. There's basically QB, and then there's everything else.

I dont believe in "reach," unless it is a full round early...he likely goes within the next 15-20 picks...so how is it a reach? You took him before someone else stole him 5-10 picks later...well, your pick isnt 5-10 picks later, it's now...so if you want him, your only choice is to take him...i dont consider that a reach.

if we draft Dupree 6, and he was projected to go 10-15, they will call it a reach; but guess what, we pick 6, not 10-15...and if he projects 10-15, and goes 6, the pick isn't wrong...the projection was.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
did you look at their WR/TE depth chart? seems a much bigger need than reaching for a possible successor to brees. at least in the 1st round.
I have to agree with Hobson from this standpoint, unless you believe Brees is done, maybe has a year or two left at the most, this is a pick I wouldn't make in the free agency era. Back in the day, before free agency, I wouldn't even hesitate to put an heir apparent in place for my established veteran QB, because you could take a more long-term vision of team building back in those days, but look at the Patriots, they're already on their third heir apparent to Brady with Garoffalo, the other two they drafted are already gone, free agency makes it impossible to keep them if they have any real potential. You can't franchise them and pay them a fortune, and teams are chomping at the bit to steal them, because QB's are so in demand. Again, in the old days doing this made perfect sense. Now, not so much.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Have to wonder whether they could have got Petty later......

You have to grab him before other QB needy teams picks come up...Houston, Cleveland, Titans (if you believe that), Bears, and Rams all pick before the Saints are on the clock again...would he get through those teams?

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
BJ Raji has been hurt the past two years and there's nothing behind him at NT, but mainly this is a value pick for Green Bay, the value is just too much to pass up in this spot, and they can play him at end or nose in the 3-4

Green Bay selects:

Malcom Brown, DT, Texas

GOOD PICK that was alternate for COLTS..thought the active LB was better at this time

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
saints have 9 picks in this draft

that's fine. they can look for a QB to groom behind brees with one of those. i just think it would be crazy to use a 1st round pick on petty when there were players who could offer them a lot more immediate help. they got rid of graham and stills this off-season. meachem left as a FA. they have tons of needs across the defense and could use help on the o-line. they aren't in complete rebuilding mode, as they signed spiller and browner, and acquired some talent back in the graham and stills trades. so i would think they would address immediate needs rather than go with a project QB to hopefully replace brees down the road.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I have to agree with Hobson from this standpoint, unless you believe Brees is done, maybe has a year or two left at the most, this is a pick I wouldn't make in the free agency era. Back in the day, before free agency, I wouldn't even hesitate to put an heir apparent in place for my established veteran QB, because you could take a more long-term vision of team building back in those days, but look at the Patriots, they're already on their third heir apparent to Brady with Garoffalo, the other two they drafted are already gone, free agency makes it impossible to keep them if they have any real potential. You can't franchise them and pay them a fortune, and teams are chomping at the bit to steal them, because QB's are so in demand. Again, in the old days doing this made perfect sense. Now, not so much.

This pick is Sean Payton approved...so I dont argue with Sean Payton about QBs...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
that's fine. they can look for a QB to groom behind brees with one of those. i just think it would be crazy to use a 1st round pick on petty when there were players who could offer them a lot more immediate help. they got rid of graham and stills this off-season. meachem left as a FA. they have tons of needs across the defense and could use help on the o-line. they aren't in complete rebuilding mode, as they signed spiller and browner, and acquired some talent back in the graham and stills trades. so i would think they would address immediate needs rather than go with a project QB to hopefully replace brees down the road.

You know what is worse? They traded Graham for Petty...ouch...

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I dont believe in "reach," unless it is a full round early...he likely goes within the next 15-20 picks...so how is it a reach? You took him before someone else stole him 5-10 picks later...well, your pick isnt 5-10 picks later, it's now...so if you want him, your only choice is to take him...i dont consider that a reach.

if we draft Dupree 6, and he was projected to go 10-15, they will call it a reach; but guess what, we pick 6, not 10-15...and if he projects 10-15, and goes 6, the pick isn't wrong...the projection was.
I agree, reach is a tricky term, usually the consensus projection was at fault. You're right about that and unless we are talking about a full round or something close, its probably unfair to call it a reach.

I also agree that if you love the player, then you have to make sure that you get him.

You can't worry about somebody else's grade, not if its a player you love.

U

ucrenegade

If it was my only first I would not have but Wr/oline can be found in later rounds a potential heir and franchise qb less likely.

U

ucrenegade

I thought about fa and I figured I would rather pay a olineman or Wr fa salary then a qb.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I thought about fa and I figured I would rather pay a olineman or Wr fa salary then a qb.

Hahahaha, already sound like a GM working with his PR staff on spin control..."why did you take Tommy Maddox when you already have Elway?!?!?!"

hahahaha

Sarge

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Maccagnan and Bowles have to be looking at WRs Dorsett, Strong, and Agholor, OLs Clemmings, Fisher and Humphries, and the Armstead kid who many say reminds them of Bowles old player Calais Campbell

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
ROUND 1

1. BUCS - Jameis Winston, QB, Florida State
  2. TITANS - Leonard Williams, DL, USC
  3. JAGUARS - Dante Fowler, DE/OLB, Florida
  4. RAIDERS - Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
  5. REDSKINS - Vic Beasley, OLB, Clemson
  6. JETS - Marcus Mariota, QB, Oregon
  7. BEARS - Kevin White, WR, West Virginia
  8. FALCONS - Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State
  9. GIANTS - La'el Collins, T/G, LSU
  10. RAMS - Brandon Scherff, OG, Iowa
  11. VIKINGS - Danny Shelton, DT, Washington
  12. BROWNS - Shane Ray, DE/OLB, Missouri
  13. SAINTS - Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska
  14. DOLPHINS - Devante Parker, WR, Louisville
  15. 49ERS - Bud Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky
  16. TEXANS - Andrus Peat, OT, Stanford
  17. CHARGERS - Melvin Gordon, RB, Wisconsin
  18. CHIEFS - Ereck Flowers, OT, Miami
  19. BROWNS - Breshad Perriman, WR, Central Florida
  20. EAGLES - Landon Collins, S, Alabama
  21. BENGALS - Dorial Green-Beckham, WR, Oklahoma
  22. STEELERS - Marcus Peters, CB, Washington
  23. LIONS - Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia
  24. CARDINALS - Cameron Erving, C/G, Florida State
  25. PANTHERS - Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest
  26. RAVENS - Byron Jones, CB, UConn
  27. COWBOYS - Eli Harold, DE/OLB, Virginia
  28. BRONCOS - Eddie Goldman, NT, Florida State
  29. COLTS - Eric Kendricks, LB, UCLA
  30. PACKERS - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas
  31. SAINTS - Bryce Petty, QB, Baylor
  32. PATRIOTS - Jaelen Strong, WR, Arizona State
Round One is in the Books! (Great Job, fellas)

Titans (Super) kicks off round two.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well, Strong would have been my pick if not taken 1 pick before.

Titans regroup and look for a big play target for Mettenberger. There isn't a natural #1 staring them in he face, but a big play threat is...a guy who caught 33 balls last year...for 28 ypc and 12 TDs...when Ohio State needs a play, they go to the kid.

Titans select Devin Smith WR The Ohio State

maxmet

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Mel, I have the feeling that the Pats pick could start a run on the WRs at this tier on people's boards. We'll have to watch for that.....