Jet Fanatics
Ravens checking out DE Randy Gregory?
March, 23, 2015
MAR 23
8:13
AM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
00COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
Considering their long history of having an impact defense, it would be no surprise if the Baltimore Ravens end up selecting a defensive player with their first-round pick in this year's draft.

Among the players who may be targeted by the Ravens' front office is arguably the top pass-rusher available.

"Nebraska defensive end-outside linebacker Randy Gregory, one of the top pass rushers in the draft, is scheduled to visit the Ravens, according to league sources," wrote Aaron Wilson of the Balitmore Sun.

"Gregory also met with the Ravens informally at the NFL scouting combine."

While they may love to land Gregory, he may not be available when the Ravens pick at No. 26. ESPN NFL Insider Mel Kiper Jr. has Gregory going to the Chicago Bears at No. 7, but Gregory's health could end up sinking his draft-day value:

Mel Kiper Jr.
Kiper: 2015 NFL Mock Draft 3.0

"John Fox has made it clear that he intends to go to a 3-4 base system on defense, which all but puts every player you could call an "edge" rusher on the roster on notice. Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston and Willie Young may be great making the transition; they may not. The Bears could use some assurance that they'll have at least one great fit as a stand-up 3-4 edge rusher, and if Gregory is still here at this point they should be happy. Gregory offers length, and explosiveness that plays up both on tape and when he's sprinting in Under Armour. There are some concerns about his lean frame but I think he plays the point pretty well and isn't going to be a liability against the run as he develops."

Steve Muench
Top five pass-rushers in 2015 draft

"Gregory's medical history could play a big role in where he gets drafted. He missed the 2012 season with a broken leg, he missed time with a recurring knee injury this past season, he missed the 2014 regular-season finale with a concussion and his leaner frame elevates concerns about his durability. If teams are comfortable with the medical, he works out as well as expected and interviews well with teams, Gregory should be a top-five pick. He may never be as big as Giants defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul, but he has drawn favorable comparisons because of his length and athletic ability."

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Oakland just did a back flip:

Amari Cooper - WR - Player
Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports NFL teams have been informed Alabama WR Amari Cooper ran a forty time in the range of 4.35 to 4.38 at last month's NFL Scouting Combine.
Robinson reports video review of Cooper and West Virginia WR Kevin White's forty-yard dashes revealed a "dead heat." White's time is more impressive because he is taller and heavier, but the report confirms Cooper is a legitimate sub-4.4 speed burner. Cooper's "official" forty time was reported at 4.42.

well there's a good chance that this takes him off the board before we even get a look at him.

however, if he is still on the board at 6, it presents some nice options, including possibly some team wanting to trade up and grab him.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Joel Glazer says Buccaneers are “comfortable” with Jameis Winston

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on March 24, 2015, 9:05 PM EDT
Jameis Winston
Getty Images
Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Lovie Smith said in February the organization is comfortable with the off-field issues of Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston.

Buccaneers owner Joel Glazer furthered those comments at the NFL owner’s meetings on Tuesday.

“You know, we spent a lot of time with Jameis. We spent a lot of time with Marcus Mariota. There are other potential players that could be up there with the first pick. But yes, we as an organization are comfortable. We’re comfortable with Jameis,” Glazer said, via JoeBucsFan.com

“We found both Jameis and Marcus to be impressive young men when we spent our time with them. Great success in college. Both academically very successful. Unbelievable amount of work on both players and other potential players in this draft. We as an organization are comfortable.”

With the Buccaneers potentially having concerns over Mariota’s demeanor, it certainly seems as though Winston should get comfortable with the idea of staying in the state of Florida to begin his professional career.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000481430/article/breshad-perriman-wows-scouts-with-425second-40yard-dash

The Central Florida wide receiver's 40-yard dash was clocked at 4.25 seconds by NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock. Other times recorded by NFL scouts on hand ranged between 4.19 and 4.27, according to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt. Any of those would have been the best overall time at this year's NFL Scouting Combine had he run for the same result in Indianapolis last month. Anything under 4.4 is a stunningly fast clocking for a player of Perriman's size; he is 6-foot-2, 212 pounds.

The fastest 40-yard dash in combine history is 4.24 seconds by Chris Johnson in 2008. As with all official times at the combine, Johnson's 40 was electronically timed. Pro day 40s are timed by hand, which are substantially faster than electronic times.

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt pegged the son of former Detroit Lions receiver Brett Perriman as a rising prospect about six weeks ago, before the NFL Scouting Combine. Perriman is also tied for fifth in Mayock's ranking of this year's wide receivers.

As it turned out, it might have been a blessing for Perriman that a hamstring injury precluded him from working out at the combine in Indianapolis. Now, his only 40-yard dash showing for NFL scouts is the Wednesday clocking they won't soon forget. So while scouts might choose to rely more heavily on the slower times from Indianapolis by prospects who made vast improvements on their pro days, they won't have any such slower time to fall back on with Perriman.

The deepest position in the 2015 NFL Draft just got a little tighter at the top of the class.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Adam Caplan retweeted
NFL on ESPN @ESPNNFL · 55m55 minutes ago

These are @LRiddickESPN's top pass rushers in the draft this year. How would you rank them?

CBC8GjJVAAAwRFV.png:large

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Phillip Dorsett WR Miami ran a 4.33 at the combine and 4.25 and 4.27 at pro day. Some scouts are grading him out similar to DeSean Jackson. He's 5'9 185lbs and someone to think about later in the draft if we go OLB rd 1.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Phillip Dorsett WR Miami ran a 4.33 at the combine and 4.25 and 4.27 at pro day. Some scouts are grading him out similar to DeSean Jackson. He's 5'9 185lbs and someone to think about later in the draft if we go OLB rd 1.
If he is there at #37 , I'd be all in. A great change of pace guy from our top 2 of Marshall and Decker. His over the top ability would really open it up for those 2 guys plus Amaro. Maybe a faster version of Geno's old running mate at WVU,Tavon Austin who fit nicely in the spread with Smith.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
I was treated to some great OL analysis by Ross Tucker and Cossell this AM on my commute. Very interesting takes on some of the OT candidates, particularly Peat, Humphries, Fisher and Clemmings. I am paraphrasing, but here goes:
Peat - "a lot like Andrew Whitworth in that he is very powerful, but not great feet. Is ok in pass pro because of his length and balance."
Humphries - "maybe the best pure LT pass pro potential in this draft. has the natural athleticism to excel at the next level, but still a bit raw."
Fisher - "another natural athlete, but a cut below Humphries."
Clemings - "Great length and natural athleticism, but very robotic at this stage of his development. New to the OL, but with the right coaching and development could be the best of the group."

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I was treated to some great OL analysis by Ross Tucker and Cossell this AM on my commute. Very interesting takes on some of the OT candidates, particularly Peat, Humphries, Fisher and Clemmings. I am paraphrasing, but here goes:
Peat - "a lot like Andrew Whitworth in that he is very powerful, but not great feet. Is ok in pass pro because of his length and balance."
Humphries - "maybe the best pure LT pass pro potential in this draft. has the natural athleticism to excel at the next level, but still a bit raw."
Fisher - "another natural athlete, but a cut below Humphries."
Clemings - "Great length and natural athleticism, but very robotic at this stage of his development. New to the OL, but with the right coaching and development could be the best of the group."

Their breakdown of the draft is the absolute best...if Cossell breaks down a player and really likes him, I always have to go back and watch more highlights of him. the show is so educational on how to break down film and what to look for. I always enjoy how Cossell will be like, "when watching corners back pedal, you need to watch their shoulders to see if as they open their hips during change of direction, if they do...., then ...., but if they do...., then that means...." Its like listening to a DB coach breakdown what they're looking for as they breakdown CB prospects...but they do that for every position.

It really helps you prepare and get amped up for the draft. I do love that show but havent really listened to it much the last week or so. My favorite breakdown is always the WRs...Cossell has been on the Perriman bandwagon for awhile...so Im fairly certain he'll be a stud. :) All the tools are there, it will come down to work ethic for him.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Old[URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1 said:
#1[/URL] 5;25493]If he is there at #37 , I'd be all in. A great change of pace guy from our top 2 of Marshall and Decker. His over the top ability would really open it up for those 2 guys plus Amaro. Maybe a faster version of Geno's old running mate at WVU,Tavon Austin who fit nicely in the spread with Smith.

Im warming up to him in rd 2 also. He had 9 Tds and averaged 27 ypc as their #1 WR...27 yards per catch is crazy for a #1 . he reminds me a lot of Santana when I watch his highlight film...size helps. :) But watch the catches he makes in traffic and almost always uses his hands. Morris throws such an ugly ball. Look at him catch the balls off players helmets and he catches so many wounded ducks from Morris (which means he uses his eyes and plucks with his hands, which is what you want to see). I wouldnt be upset if we take him rd 2. I do see why people call him DeSean jackson 2.0.

also, most of these highlights are against FSU, both CBs projected to go late rd 1 early rd 2...

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis compared him to Mike Wallace minus the attitude and with better hands.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Thoughts on Shane Ray as a fit here? Daniel Jeremiah has him as the 6th best player overall in the draft and Mayock has him as his #2 edge rusher behind Fowler. His pro day was lackluster, but his game film is very good.

Here's the whole top 50 list.

http://www.nfl.com/top50