COMBINE...THIS WEEK, Ladies and Gents

U

ucrenegade

Would be a very good choice. Now if we can get Browns to part with their 2 #1 's for Mariota at #6 , getting #s 12 and 19... Pipe dream, I know.

somehow i don't see cleveland outbid eagles for 6 if mariota is on board still

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
somehow i don't see cleveland outbid eagles for 6 if mariota is on board still

Sure would be nice if there was a bidding war for the pick. Yes, more pipe dreams but with McCown and Johnny Football at QB it may not be far fetched at all from the Browns perspective.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Marcus Mariota - QB - Player
Sources tell CBS' Jason La Canfora the Browns and Eagles are "going to explore" trading up for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota.
Neither rumor is new, this is just more fuel for the fire. While Mariota/Eagles rumors initially seemed too convenient, there's now enough smoke to at least suggest fire. It's understandable why coach Chip Kelly would want to reunite with his college quarterback, but trading into the top five would cost nearly the Eagles' entire draft.
Related: Browns, Eagl

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
MAR 18
1:22
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider
140COMMENTS2EMAILPRINT
Next season will be Philip Rivers' 12th in San Diego, his 10th-straight as the Chargers' starting quarterback, and by all indications from the quarterback himself there's a good chance it will be his last season with the team. The 33-year-old Rivers hasn't missed a game in the past nine seasons, and is set to enter the final year of his current deal.

For the first time in a decade, the Chargers have to start thinking about who their next starting quarterback will be, and there's growing buzz that the team is considering Oregon's Heisman Trophy winner, Marcus Mariota.
Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego wrote Tuesday:

"General Manager Tom Telesco said on Dec. 31 that, 'We are committed to making sure Philip retires as a Charger, and we will address that at the appropriate time.'

"However, there have been no talks between the team and Rivers. The team could conceivably place a franchise tag on Rivers next offseason.

"Meanwhile, there are questions and brewing speculation that the team might be preparing for a future without Rivers. Numerous people in and around the league have speculated that the team could be serious about acquiring Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, whom they are scheduled to work out next month. While there are plausible explanations for investigating a first-round QB to that extent without intending to acquire him, Mariota is expected to be gone well before the Chargers pick at No. 17."

ESPN's NFL draft guru Mel Kiper Jr. has Mariota going No. 6 in his latest mock draft, which means that barring an unexpected draft-day slide by Mariota the Chargers would likely have to orchestrate a draft day trade to move up in the first round and select the Pac-12 legend.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Chargers, Mariota talk isn’t going away

Posted by Mike Florio on March 19, 2015, 9:13 AM EDT
Mariota
AP
For months, the Eagles have had the strongest connection to quarterback Marcus Mariota, given that their head coach: (1) recruited him to Oregon; and (2) repeatedly has praised him as a sure thing at the next level. More recently, another team that made it to the playoffs in the first year of the current coach’s tenure but missed the postseason in year two has been linked to Mariota — but the connection hasn’t drawn nearly as much attention or buzz.

Last week, NFL.com reported that Mariota will work out privately for the Buccaneers, the Jets, and the Chargers. (Mariota also has worked out privately for the Titans.)

Interest from the Buccaneers, Jets, and Titans all makes sense. Interest from the Chargers, who hold the 17th overall pick in the draft, doesn’t.

Or at least it didn’t make sense at the time the news of the workout emerged. Now that quarterback Philip Rivers has told Kevin Acee of U-T San Diego that the fourth pick in the 2004 draft won’t sign a new contract before his current one expires after the 2015 season and may not sign a new contract at all (especially if the team moves to L.A.), the Chargers have to consider their options. With G.M. Tom Telesco declining (per Acee) to rule out a trade, the most obvious outcome would be Rivers to Tennessee for the second overall pick in the draft, and Mariota.

When the Rivers news emerged late Tuesday, it didn’t generate much buzz. Perhaps that’s because franchise quarterbacks rarely change teams, except when they’re seriously injured (Drew Brees and Peyton Manning) or when they’ve been nudged into retirement and later decide to come back (Brett Favre). For others, talk of a franchise quarterback leaving is always just talk, a prelude to a new contract being signed.

Still, the evidence in this case makes it impossible to rule out a trade. The Titans, burned by reaching four years ago for Jake Locker, may be skittish about taking Mariota. Coach Ken Whisenhunt, burned by trading for Kevin Kolb four years ago with the Cardinals, may be more interested in getting a veteran that Whisenhunt has worked with. In 2013, Whisenhunt worked with Rivers as San Diego’s offensive coordinator.

It’s unclear how much more the Chargers would have to send to Tennessee to get Mariota, since franchise quarterbacks are rarely traded. Would Rivers for the second overall pick be enough? Would it be Rivers plus the 17th overall pick?

The teams have plenty of time to work that out, if there’s mutual interest. And they’ll have the opportunity to do it in a few days, when every NFL team convenes in Arizona for the annual league meetings.

Until then, share your thoughts. Should the Chargers trade Rivers for Mariota?

J

Jet Setter

I can't see Tennessee walking away from that deal with Whisenhunt there. And they still remain 30M under the cap. They can easily absorb his contract and put together an extension.

If this were offered to the Jets, they currently stand at roughly 8-9M under the cap. Rivers' salary is at 17M this season. They'd have to do some restructuring (DBrick) and cutting or trading (Wilk among others) to get below that number in order to also sign draftees. But this would be a rare opportunity.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I could see the Jets being interested.

Bucky Brooks @BuckyBrooks · 6h6 hours ago

The OL capable of making Zach Martin-like impact on a squad is @LSUfball OT La'el Collins. AFC exec raved about his toughness & physicality

Told me that Collins would bring that "dog" and grit that every O-Line needs. Plus, he is talented enough to play OT (RT) or OG as a pro.

The AFC exec cited his match up vs. Dante Fowler as a best example of his physicality. He thought Collins' nasty demeanor showed in his play

For a team that wants to bully opponents with a power-based scheme w/maulers upfront, Collins would be an ideal candidate..

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Mariota the likely No. 2 pick?
March, 20, 2015
MAR 20
4:42
PM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider
20COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
Most indications at this point indicate that Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston has shown enough to be the No. 1 pick in the 2015 NFL draft, and at least one NFL reporter believes Heisman Trophy winner Marcus Mariota will be chosen with the next pick.
Jason La Canfora of CBSSports.com wrote Thursday that "the more the draft comes into play and the more quarterback-needy teams study the available talent, the more I become convinced that Marcus Mariota is going second overall."

La Canfora adds: "It's a two quarterback draft and a good quarter of the league is at least uncertain about its present and/or future at this position. Mariota has more than enough supporters among NFL coaches and decisions makers to end up going with the second pick, whether to the Titans, who the pick, or another team via trade.

The San Diego Chargers and Philadelphia Eagles are two teams that have been rumored to be interested in trading up to draft Mariota, but a number of other teams -- notably the St. Louis Rams and Cleveland Browns -- could also enter the equation due to their need for a franchise quarterback.

All this, of course, ultimately will only matter if Winston goes No. 1 to Tampa Bay and the Tennessee Titans trade the No. 2 pick. The Titans are set to enter the season with Zach Mettenberger as their quarterback of the future, so it's entirely possible that they could decide to keep Mariota for themselves and draft him second overall.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
3:46
PM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
50COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Although most signs currently point to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers selecting Jameis Winston with the No. 1 overall pick, time will tell whether that will be the case.

To that point, the Tennessee Titans are doing their due diligence in case Winston falls to them at No. 2.

"The Tennessee Titans will have a private workout and will also bring in Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston for a visit to Nashville, 247Sports has learned," wrote Terry McCormick.

"Winston's pro day at Florida State is scheduled for March 31, and the Titans private workout will come around that time frame."

Coach Ken Whisenhunt said this week that they will meet with Marcus Mariota in April. They already held a private workout with the quarterback following his pro-day session. Most pundits think the Titans will opt out of taking a quarterback at No. 2, likely going for DE Leonard Williams instead.

Getting back to the Bucs at the top of the draft, all we can do is speculate:

Mike Sando
Bucs and the No. 1 pick

"I've been among those thinking Tampa Bay would use the first overall choice for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, but the case for the Buccaneers selecting Marcus Mariota is an intriguing one. As a former team administrator put it to me, it requires understanding how the broader context could lead Buccaneers ownership away from Winston and toward Mariota. This line of thinking holds that ownership in Tampa is still stinging from an ill-fated spending spree in free agency last offseason. Before that, those same owners endured a tumultuous and sometimes embarrassing run under former coach Greg Schiano. Winston would represent another gamble as a player with some red flags off the field. Mariota would represent the safer play. Figuring out what general manager Jason Licht, coach Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter might prefer in a quarterback is obviously important. It also might be naive to think Buccaneers ownership will not factor in on a decision of this magnitude."

J

Jet Setter

Those little snipets from scouts are really telling on some of those prospects. Interesting to see the glowing words towards Cooper and that one mentions Kevin White never beats anyone deep. I saw that too.
They see the same things I saw in Shane Ray and echoed my sentiment that they don't like him. Very stiff.
I liked the words they had for Beasley and couldn't help think he's the missing ingredient for that defense. He and Dupree would be the best fits for us at 3-4 OLB IMO.

J

Jet Setter

I could see the Jets being interested.

The OL capable of making Zach Martin-like impact on a squad is [COLOR=[URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6 6B5D2]@LSUfball[/URL] OT La'el Collins. AFC exec raved about his toughness & physicality

Told me that Collins would bring that "dog" and grit that every O-Line needs. Plus, he is talented enough to play OT (RT) or OG as a pro.

The AFC exec cited his match up vs. Dante Fowler as a best example of his physicality. He thought Collins' nasty demeanor showed in his play

For a team that wants to bully opponents with a power-based scheme w/maulers upfront, Collins would be an ideal candidate..

[/COLOR]

Where would you put him? We just signed Carpenter who probably can't play another position with his inability to be physical in the running game leaving him out of the right side. To take an OL at #6 to play the right side is not befitting for a guy of this talent nor of the expense. He's a guard, through and through.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Where would you put him? We just signed Carpenter who probably can't play another position with his inability to be physical in the running game leaving him out of the right side. To take an OL at #6 to play the right side is not befitting for a guy of this talent nor of the expense. He's a guard, through and through.

He'd be an option for me if we traded back. I could see him at LG with Carpenter at Rg. Collins also has the ability to play RT, and I've seen some believe that within a few years, he could be a viable LT. Brick isn't getting any younger, so we need to start planning ahead.

J

Jet Setter

He'd be an option for me if we traded back. I could see him at LG with Carpenter at Rg. Collins also has the ability to play RT, and I've seen some believe that within a few years, he could be a viable LT. Brick isn't getting any younger, so we need to start planning ahead.

See, that's what I argued from the beginning. If you read anything about Carpenter it's that he's a finesse guy who doesn't really finish blocks with physicality. That's absolutely required on the right (run-side) LOS. I don't think you can move him there. He's a pass protector.

As for replacing LT, Collins is a true OG. Not an OT. This is why I can't see this even in a trade-down scenario. Not every prospect is a fit for your team just because he's a solid prospect. Scheme and players in place as well as current contracts all dictate your moves.

And unlike many, I'm fundamentally opposed to selecting an OT to play RT in hopes of moving him to LT later. I would argue this is a rare event and even more rarely executed. More failures than successes in this ill-advised experiment. LT and RT are very different positions and require different body sizes just as you see in LB positions. One size does not fit all. And the pay scale is on opposite spectrums. The players that are truly able to play LT despise playing RT because they aren't maximizing their earning potential.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Oakland just did a back flip:

Amari Cooper - WR - Player
Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports NFL teams have been informed Alabama WR Amari Cooper ran a forty time in the range of 4.35 to 4.38 at last month's NFL Scouting Combine.
Robinson reports video review of Cooper and West Virginia WR Kevin White's forty-yard dashes revealed a "dead heat." White's time is more impressive because he is taller and heavier, but the report confirms Cooper is a legitimate sub-4.4 speed burner. Cooper's "official" forty time was reported at 4.42.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jalen Collins - DB - Player
LSU CB Jalen Collins underwent foot surgery last week.
He'll miss the Tigers' March 27 Pro Day. NFL.com's Gil Brandt did report Collins should be ready for rookie minicamps, which depending on the team take place as early as one week after the draft. The procedure sounds minor, and may not affect Collins' stock. Collins is Mike Mayock's No. 2 cornerback prospect in the 2015 draft, behind only Trae Waynes of Michigan State.