Is baseball a dying sport?

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I was listening to the Michael Kay show the other day. Thankfully he was out and Don Lagreca (sp?) was filling in for him.

The discussion was about the dying popularity of baseball. A few good points were made:

1. It's currently the second most popular sport, however, it is the only sport where there is a higher % of fans over the age of 60 than under.
2. Each year the popularity amongst young poeple is going less and less. He stated it's important to have an even balance because you'll need new fans to replace the older ones when they die off and currently that isn't possible with their demographics.
3. Young people aren't into baseball anymore because the sport promotes bullying and puts people that are not good at the sport at an embarassing position. It's embarassing to be bad in baseball. If you swing and miss and look awful it stands out and poeple could laugh at you.
4. You're not active at all. If you're awful, they stick you in right field hoping the ball doesnt get hit to you. At least in other sports like basketball and football, you can be awful but uo get a workout.
5. Sport is the most resistant to change. The league knows they need to get the sport moving faster but the fans and others that impact decision making are always going against their changes. Such as instant replay, limiting time between pitches, limiting stepping out of the batters box.
6. Sports like NBA and NHL grab your attention better than MLB.

I seem to agree. If won't be long until it's not #2 anymore.

S

sg3

Maybe

However, IMO, baseball will still be the prime sport in the USA every summer and will still be alive and thriving long after Don LaDrecka, yours truly and every other poster at JFU are residing on the other side of the grass

U

ucrenegade

It prob is only because we live in a microwave society and our attention span these days esp with the new younger generation is shit.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
It prob is only because we live in a microwave society and our attention span these days esp with the new younger generation is shit.

Yes this is probably the biggest reason for its eventual decline

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

ucrenegade

also the society is more feminized these days and we know most girls don't like sports

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Anyone see Chris Rock's take on baseball. Segment is from HBO Real Sports from a couple of months ago:

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Anyone see Chris Rock's take on baseball. Segment is from HBO Real Sports from a couple of months ago:

Great video. Can't disagree at all with Chris Rock. It's scary. I love baseball. I'll be honest and i have lose some interest over the years but it's slowly coming back to me with this Yankees team. They are underdogs again and not the overpaid bastards they once were. No one spends money worse than cashman.

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Great video. Can't disagree at all with Chris Rock. It's scary. I love baseball. I'll be honest and i have lose some interest over the years but it's slowly coming back to me with this Yankees team. They are underdogs again and not the overpaid bastards they once were. No one spends money worse than cashman.

I think baseball is all about the team you follow. For you its the Yanks, for me the Mets. If the Mets are playing well, I will watch their games most night -- if they fall out of the race, I grow disinterested. And I cannot just flip on a game and watch if it doesn't involve my team. Football, on the other hand, I can watch any game, any teams, any time. I live and die with the Jets, but I enjoy watching regardless of who is playing.

The Wicker Man

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's dying among the black and white kids. My son couldn't wait to quit little league, he found it boring as hell. When I was a kid, my glove was always on the handle bars of my bike. I could play all day long.

I find it hard to sit and watch an entire game these days. It drives me nuts when the batter steps out after every pitch or when the pitcher takes forever between pitches(see Steve Trachsel). I do a lot of toggling when I "watch" baseball.

U

ucrenegade

we don't have attention spans for it anymore. I remember before internet you sat down to watch a game their was no temptation to have a laptop and check fb, their was no temptation to google on your iphone, their was no temptation to play nba 2k, their was no temptation to play ipad/ipod's.

Hell these days I can barely get my kids to play outside for a few hours much less participate in something/watch something that is 2 hours.

L

LGM

It was extremely popular in all of NYC the last 3 months or so

LGM

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
It was extremely popular in all of NYC the last 3 months or so

LGM

Yes, as you probably know I am not a Mets fan, but all I was thinking about during this past WS run was how it was good for the sport. Mets made baseball fun again by playing tough baseball. Winning with pitching and a bunch of role players.

U

ucrenegade

Yes, as you probably know I am not a Mets fan, but all I was thinking about during this past WS run was how it was good for the sport. Mets made baseball fun again by playing tough baseball. Winning with pitching and a bunch of role players.

royals,giants,and cardinals have been doing that for years...........royals just recently started along with astros

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Night games is where the most ad revenues come in. I agree with charging too much

No doubt about it but it still stinks LOL .........They are losing the kids.......Too many night games are just not fun for the young family.

isired

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Totally agree. We're Mets fans, abd I couldn't let my kids starry up four most of their weeknight playoff/WS games. A night game is one thing, but they don't need to start after 8p. If they need to be entirely in prime time to draw ad dollars, especially this year when they had teams representing the 3 largest markets in the country, need to think about how they're packaging/promoting it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk