Mo shows up...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Mo's toe is actually a bigger concern to me than his contract. Regardless of how tough he is and can play with pain it will hinder his performance at times. Nagging pain makes you play differently.

BTW - The path Richardson is going down will IMO be way harder than Wilkerson. His actions speak of him wanting to be one of the top paid guys in the league (he has stated he was the best player in the NFL last year) and just a gut feeling will sit out if he doesn't get his money.

As good as both players are they are not in JJ's league, especially sacking the QB.

That may change this year...hoping we get Mo at a team friendly deal (under 40) that allows us to give Richardson his $60 mill deal. he wont sign for less, since suh got 59.

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
Mo's toe is actually a bigger concern to me than his contract. Regardless of how tough he is and can play with pain it will hinder his performance at times. Nagging pain makes you play differently.

BTW - The path Richardson is going down will IMO be way harder than Wilkerson. His actions speak of him wanting to be one of the top paid guys in the league (he has stated he was the best player in the NFL last year) and just a gut feeling will sit out if he doesn't get his money.

As good as both players are they are not in JJ's league, especially sacking the QB.

I agree with you on Sheldon. Right now we have some leverage with Mo -- hopefully we can get a reasonable deal done with him, because I think Sheldon will be a major pain in the butt when his rookie contract is coming up.

If we lose Mo in the next two years, we will have very little leverage with Sheldon in a few years.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree with you on Sheldon. Right now we have some leverage with Mo -- hopefully we can get a reasonable deal done with him, because I think Sheldon will be a major pain in the butt when his rookie contract is coming up.

If we lose Mo in the next two years, we will have very little leverage with Sheldon in a few years.

Cap is going up the next 2 years, so now is the time to lock up Mo; because what he is getting, wont be much compared to Sheldon and Aaron Donald when their deals are up. If we get Mo for under 40, it is a team friendly deal, because Mo and Jordan will be the last of the young dlinemen getting under 40. With Robert Quinns new deal, I dont even know how likely it is we sign Mo for under 40...

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
That may change this year...hoping we get Mo at a team friendly deal (under 40) that allows us to give Richardson his $60 mill deal. he wont sign for less, since suh got 59.

it's interesting...you say you hope we get mo on a team-friendly deal for under $40MM (i concur), yet you also seem to rip management for "low balling" mo. seems you share management's goal of getting the player on a team-friendly deal, yet denounce them for not paying up

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I don't understand why fans think Mo's deal will influence Sheldon's. Unless Mo will be paid as the BEST DL out there (he won't), then his salary will likely have no impact on Sheldon (who WILL want to be paid like the best).

Ultimately, it will come down to just how good Sheldon ends up being. If he is the best, pay him that way. If he's not, then there will likely be trouble.

Obviously I hope it's the former . . .

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
it's interesting...you say you hope we get mo on a team-friendly deal for under $40MM (i concur), yet you also seem to rip management for "low balling" mo. seems you share management's goal of getting the player on a team-friendly deal, yet denounce them for not paying up

Well as a fan I'd love him to play for free and not impact the salary cap at all. His asking price of $40 isnt unreasonable and is market value. he's better than Jordan who got mid 30s and on par with Quinn who got 42...so his asking price of 40 is exactly where it should be. if the jets can get him at 35-38...great. But if you let him walk at 40, he'll sign someplace else for $48-50...so even getting him for 40 is a steal.

Should the jets try for 35-38? sure. Should they be upset if they pay 40...absolutely not.

the point is, they should be very close on the # because the market is set. It shouldnt be this hard.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well as a fan I'd love him to play for free and not impact the salary cap at all. His asking price of $40 isnt unreasonable and is market value. he's better than Jordan who got mid 30s and on par with Quinn who got 42...so his asking price of 40 is exactly where it should be. if the jets can get him at 35-38...great. But if you let him walk at 40, he'll sign someplace else for $48-50...so even getting him for 40 is a steal.

Should the jets try for 35-38? sure. Should they be upset if they pay 40...absolutely not.

the point is, they should be very close on the # because the market is set. It shouldnt be this hard.

do you actually know what mo's asking number is or what the jets have offered him? you seem to be speaking in certainties of what he wants and what macc is willing to pay

B

BigDan

I'm getting a little tired of these guys talking publicly about money for themselves, or for the other guy, or whatever.

And about how they are the best in the league at this position or that job.

This sort of thing is not the norm at top-flight teams, is it? I mean, I hate to bring them up, but do we hear this stuff from Pats players, from Giants players, etc. Isn't it expected that they handle themselves a little better at certain organizations?
I think this behavior is a leftover from the Rex clubhouse, where there were no consequences for poor play, getting stupid penalties, and running your mouth to the press.

At some point I think there will be a reaction from Bowles, in private of course, because that's the type he seems to be. It will be a long process to change the culture, but it's another thing to look forward to...

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I'm getting a little tired of these guys talking publicly about money for themselves, or for the other guy, or whatever.

And about how they are the best in the league at this position or that job.

This sort of thing is not the norm at top-flight teams, is it? I mean, I hate to bring them up, but do we hear this stuff from Pats players, from Giants players, etc. Isn't it expected that they handle themselves a little better at certain organizations?

I think this behavior is a leftover from the Rex clubhouse, where there were no consequences for poor play, getting stupid penalties, and running your mouth to the press.
Yep, this is the culture Rex created and its gonna take awhile for the team to become a reflection of its new HC

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
do you actually know what mo's asking number is or what the jets have offered him? you seem to be speaking in certainties of what he wants and what macc is willing to pay

Since we've had this discussion already, I'll stop here.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Couple of things for me here...

1. Why is it always so hard for the NYJ to sign their top home grown players? Always a process with our best players.

this isn't limited to the jets. across town, jason pierre paul skipped OTAs and is in his own contract squabble. eli's contract expires after this year and there are no indications either side is rushing to address it.

you have players like dez bryant and justin houston skipping their teams voluntary camps and not signing their franchise tenders. i'm sure there are plenty of other examples of disgruntled players wanting new, larger deals. it's the nature of the beast in the league, where players can be cut in a moment's notice, careers can end on the next play, contracts for the large part aren't guaranteed, and players want in increasing share of the huge pie.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Since we've had this discussion already, I'll stop here.

i'm probably getting old since i can't recall the discussion or your response. but my guess is that you have absolutely no idea what number mo and his agent have asked for and no idea what macc has offered. yet you posted above as if you knew the actual numbers each side has asked for/offered.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
i'm probably getting old since i can't recall the discussion or your response. but my guess is that you have absolutely no idea what number mo and his agent have asked for and no idea what macc has offered. yet you posted above as if you knew the actual numbers each side has asked for/offered.

By the negative context of your response, which seemed to be the direction of the conversation from the beginning, it would appear there is a lack of respect for my perspective. Feel free to ignore me.

Oraelo

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Sheldon is already being a pain in the ass with Mo's contract. I can only imagine how difficult he will be when it comes time for his own contract

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Florio:

Sheldon Richardson - DL - Jets
Sheldon Richardson said he and teammate Muhammad Wilkerson both want "[Ndamukong] Suh money."
Regardless of whether Wilkerson and Richardson are worth that amount, a contract of that magnitude seems highly unlikely, especially if they want to stay in New York. The Jets emptied their pockets this offseason by spending huge money on Darrelle Revis and giving Brandon Marshall a hefty raise. A deal in the Cam Jordan $60 million range would be much more realistic. Wilkerson will enter free agency in 2016 with Richardson's contract expiring the following year.
Related: Muhammad Wilkerson

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics

By the negative context of your response, which seemed to be the direction of the conversation from the beginning, it would appear there is a lack of respect for my perspective. Feel free to ignore me.

your first post quoted herein had some specific numbers that mo was asking for and seemed to be an assumption that the jets weren't willing to pay it (rhetorically noting that it shouldn't be that hard). so i was curious whether you knew the actual numbers. you seem great at finding info on the internet, so i thought perhaps i missed something.

but it seems like you were just making the numbers up, and when pushed on it, resorted to the old "why don't you just ignore me" retort.

which i guess answers my question about whether you actually know the numbers...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
your first post quoted herein had some specific numbers that mo was asking for and seemed to be an assumption that the jets weren't willing to pay it (rhetorically noting that it shouldn't be that hard). so i was curious whether you knew the actual numbers. you seem great at finding info on the internet, so i thought perhaps i missed something.

but it seems like you were just making the numbers up, and when pushed on it, resorted to the old "why don't you just ignore me" retort.

which i guess answers my question about whether you actually know the numbers...

While the backhanded compliments are almost appreciated, and Im 100% sure this is my first offer to consider ignoring me, I'll follow-up up with a polite second offer. Actually, I've never ignored someone on a chat board. I will let you, my old friend, be the first person. So no worries on putting forth the level of effort to do so.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
or you could say, no you do not know what mo is asking for or what macc is offering.

but that would be against your nature to admit you were mistaken.

i have no wish to place you on ignore. you provide a lot of value to the board and i enjoy reading many of your posts. if you wish to put me on ignore, that is your right.

S

sg3

The bickering continues

Wolverines vs Nittany Lions

A raging battle that can't be peacefully resolved