Mo shows up...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Back to contracts and Porsches...6 weeks till they start practices again...man, July is going to be a rough month.

Let's hope for no arrests, failed drug tests, or injuries the next 6 weeks. I feel no headway will be made in these contract/Porsche debates.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I agree, I'd trade Mo and Sheldon for a young Aaron Rodgers...and I agree if we lose one we need to lock up the other and pray Williams is a stud.

I think WIlliams will be a stud...and we will lock up one. I dont think it is a foregone conclusion we trade one and get something. I am sure Panthers fans were sure at a point in time they'd get something for Peppers...they didnt.

I'm not familiar enough with the Peppers situation. Did they choose not to tag him? Were they unable to? I'd assume if the Jets "get nothing" for either guy it's because they made the conscious decision to let each go, as opposed to being left empty-handed, no?

I expect this to tell us a lot about how the FO plans to operate, and once we're on the other side we'll see if we've got a disciplined team like the Steelers or Idzik 2.0 . . .

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'm not familiar enough with the Peppers situation. Did they choose not to tag him? Were they unable to? I'd assume if the Jets "get nothing" for either guy it's because they made the conscious decision to let each go, as opposed to being left empty-handed, no?

I expect this to tell us a lot about how the FO plans to operate, and once we're on the other side we'll see if we've got a disciplined team like the Steelers or Idzik 2.0 . . .

You can tag them once. Mo will be tagged next year. We will have 1 year to trade him or let him walk or resign him. Panthers tagged Peppers, then he walked when they couldnt tag him any more.

Well, I think we can cross Idzik 2.0 off the list...we signed some free agents...and not just Decker and took a nap the rest of the offseason. I already like this draft class as well as any Idzik class also...

I think we'll find ourselves someplace in the middle of those 2 teams...I think this team is built like an NFC West team...Rams, Cards, and Seattle are all stacked with defensive talent and middle of the pack QBs (Wilson is just an elite game manager but not a franchise carrying QB)...I think our model is in that class. Just my opinion. Im not worried Mac is another Idzik. If that was the case, Revis and Cro wouldnt be here, IMO.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
No. But how is that a negative?

Basically, you are arguing that it would be better for the Jets to be in a worse negotiating position, because that would force them to have to be more aggressive in negotiations.

How does anyone rationally make that argument?

I think you'd agree that if you want Mo on the team, you'd also want the team to "need" him. That, in turn, would make you wish they added stud talent to a different position group instead of Mo's.

Devil's advocate -- would you rather keep 2 of 3 stud DL, or 2 stud DL and a stud OL/TE/WR etc? (DL tends to be an expensive position, so I'd assume we'd be more likely to keep a 3rd stud at a different position, no?)

Ultimately I agree with you -- add the best talent you can and let things fall as they may. We have to assume Williams potential for stardom is greater than Kevin White's or Vic Beasley's (who I REALLY liked).

But I can see the potential downfall of that philosophy, and just hope we don't succumb to it . . .

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think you'd agree that if you want Mo on the team, you'd also want the team to "need" him. That, in turn, would make you wish they added stud talent to a different position group instead of Mo's.

Devil's advocate -- would you rather keep 2 of 3 stud DL, or 2 stud DL and a stud OL/TE/WR etc? (DL tends to be an expensive position, so I'd assume we'd be more likely to keep a 3rd stud at a different position, no?)

Ultimately I agree with you -- add the best talent you can and let things fall as they may. We have to assume Williams potential for stardom is greater than Kevin White's or Vic Beasley's (who I REALLY liked).

But I can see the potential downfall of that philosophy, and just hope we don't succumb to it . . .

Well, yes, in this salary cap era, you cannot afford to load up too much on one position.

But specifically when negotiating with a star player at a position, would you rather the team be deep at that position or shallow? Depth gives you leverage. A lack of depth forces your hand.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Im not worried Mac is another Idzik. If that was the case, Revis and Cro wouldnt be here, IMO.

I agree, which is why (for now) I'm not worried about seeing our stud talent walk away for nothing.

I'll assume these guys know what they're doing until they give me reason not to.

(Unfortunately that's EXACTLY what I wrote about Idzik two years ago . . .):smashing-computer:

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
hopefully they dont draft one in rd 1 4 years in a row...

I'd be fine with them doing that, if they still had a need after those first three years. Or if they had the starting spot locked up, and the best player in the draft, who happened to be a QB, dropped into their laps.

Your argument is, if the Jets had Matthew Stafford, and they were on the clock with Andrew Luck on the board, you don't take him because you already have a QB?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I agree, which is why (for now) I'm not worried about seeing our stud talent walk away for nothing.

I'll assume these guys know what they're doing until they give me reason not to.

(Unfortunately that's EXACTLY what I wrote about Idzik two years ago . . .):smashing-computer:

:fingers-crossed-smi

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'd be fine with them doing that, if they still had a need after those first three years. Or if they had the starting spot locked up, and the best player in the draft, who happened to be a QB, dropped into their laps.

Your argument is, if the Jets had Matthew Stafford, and they were on the clock with Andrew Luck on the board, you don't take him because you already have a QB?

Yes, I wouldn't draft Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck, EJ Manual, and Marcus Mariota in consecutive years. No I wouldn't.

You're essentially doing the RG3 trade and wasting picks instead of building a team around your QB so they can be successful...

or drafting 4 QBs so they can throw at Gates, Nelson, and Stephen Hill....with Ducass, howard, and Slausen blocking for them...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
His rookie deal is up after the 2016 season. The team would have to declare whether they are doing the fifth year, which I presume they would, but it's not set in stone.

If anything, that buys they even more time to decide.

What ever will you do if Williams is a stud? What if he turns out to be legit? How many arguments will we see about how terrible it is for the Jets to have stud players?

What are you talking about, I hope Williams is a stud. I hope he's Reggie White...I've said that on every thread. We drafted him to replace Sheldon or Mo, so he better be damn good...

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Yes, I wouldn't draft Matthew Stafford, Andrew Luck, EJ Manual, and Marcus Mariota in consecutive years. No I wouldn't.

You're essentially doing the RG3 trade and wasting picks instead of building a team around your QB so they can be successful...

or drafting 4 QBs so they can throw at Gates, Nelson, and Stephen Hill....with Ducass, howard, and Slausen blocking for them...
I don't believe you followed where Sack was going in his scenario the Jets are not drafting Manual and Marriota because they are not the best players in the draft and the Jets would have no need after drafting Luck and Stafford would be a nice trade chip to get those other players you want.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You know Sack, I just thought of this sitting here watching Into the Woods with my daughter. I think Im pissed because I cant buy a damn Jets jersey because I cant count on any of our studs staying on the roster...not one. You can love williams, till we draft his replacement next year. The only jersey I can wear is the damn Revis jersey, who helped the Patriots win a super bowl.

It was funny seeing the picks of Mo signing the kids jerseys of his at practice these last 3 days. All I could think is, enjoy that signature for a year or 2, because you'll hate it in 2017 when he's a Bill. Dont run out and buy a Sheldon jersey, because he screams Suh 2.0. Why buy a Williams jersey, because the next 2 years when we draft dline again, we'll make sure to have his replacement on the roster too. It would be nice to have a franchise cornerstone player we didnt obtain through free agency...

Ill wear my damn dirty Revis jersey...and wait patiently to see which of these 3 dlinemen get long term deals...then get one of those bastards jerseys too, damn. All my frustration is about which jersey to buy! :)

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't believe you followed where Sack was going in his scenario the Jets are not drafting Manual and Marriota because they are not the best players in the draft and the Jets would have no need after drafting Luck and Stafford would be a nice trade chip to get those other players you want.

Color me silly if I dont agree with drafting QB every single season rd 1 because its BPA and we want to develop and trade QBs with our rd 1 picks to create a roster...assuming we'll find trade partners that will give us equal value in return.

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
You know Sack, I just thought of this sitting here watching Into the Woods with my daughter. I think Im pissed because I cant buy a damn Jets jersey because I cant count on any of our studs staying on the roster...not one. You can love williams, till we draft his replacement next year. The only jersey I can wear is the damn Revis jersey, who helped the Patriots win a super bowl.

This is why I usually go for retired players. I have a Maynard and a Martin. Might add a Wesley Walker jersey before the season starts. I bought a Pryor last year after the draft - haven't even worn it yet. Going to stick to the old guys.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This is why I usually go for retired players. I have a Maynard and a Martin. Might add a Wesley Walker jersey before the season starts. I bought a Pryor last year after the draft - haven't even worn it yet. Going to stick to the old guys.

People can say its the new NFl, but that isn't true. Calvin Johnson, Richard Sherman, Gronk, Wake, soon Dareus for the Bills, Fitzgerald, Haden, etc, etc...and I purposely didnt pick a QB. It looked like we had building blocks in Mo and Richardson...but nope. One, maybe both, are out the door one of these days. Its too bad. All we can do is enjoy watching them and ignore the voice in the back of your head that says...this is one of the last games you'll see them in a jets jersey...like Fairly and Suh.

Golden Rott

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
People can say its the new NFl, but that isn't true. Calvin Johnson, Richard Sherman, Gronk, Wake, soon Dareus for the Bills, Fitzgerald, Haden, etc, etc...and I purposely didnt pick a QB. It looked like we had building blocks in Mo and Richardson...but nope. One, maybe both, are out the door one of these days. Its too bad. All we can do is enjoy watching them and ignore the voice in the back of your head that says...this is one of the last games you'll see them in a jets jersey...like Fairly and Suh.

I am not ready to concede that Mo will be gone. I am hoping that maybe something will get done over the next 6 weeks before training camp starts. All depends on what Mo is looking for and what we are willing to pay. We really have no way of knowing what the impact of the Williams pick is on our budget for Mo. Just have to wait and see how this will play out. No different than the decisions a lot of teams have to make given the constraints of the cap.

In professional sports today -- not just the NFL, you root for the jersey more so than the player in it.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I am not ready to concede that Mo will be gone. I am hoping that maybe something will get done over the next 6 weeks before training camp starts. All depends on what Mo is looking for and what we are willing to pay. We really have no way of knowing what the impact of the Williams pick is on our budget for Mo. Just have to wait and see how this will play out. No different than the decisions a lot of teams have to make given the constraints of the cap.

In professional sports today -- not just the NFL, you root for the jersey more so than the player in it.

That's fair. At least he isn't pulling a Dez and threatening to sit out games.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

It was funny seeing the picks of Mo signing the kids jerseys of his at practice these last 3 days. All I could think is, enjoy that signature for a year or 2, because you'll hate it in 2017 when he's a Bill. Dont run out and buy a Sheldon jersey, because he screams Suh 2.0. Why buy a Williams jersey, because the next 2 years when we draft dline again, we'll make sure to have his replacement on the roster too. It would be nice to have a franchise cornerstone player we didnt obtain through free agency...

Ill wear my damn dirty Revis jersey...and wait patiently to see which of these 3 dlinemen get long term deals...then get one of those bastards jerseys too, damn. All my frustration is about which jersey to buy! :)

Easy! Easy!

I understand where you are coming from, but I think what it comes down to is, the Jets didn't draft who you wanted them to, and you are looking for a reason to hate the pick.

Did they pick a position of strength? Yes. But it is inconceivable that the pick hurt their bargaining. If anything, it gave them both more leverage and the ability to trade an elite player, should Williams turn out to be on the level of Mo and Richardson.

And if Williams isn't on that level, you just keep Richardson and Mo and move on from Williams. His cap hit isn't that big under the new contract.

I love Mo! I want Mo as a Jet forever! But I'm still rooting for Williams to be a stud. If Mo gets an extension, buy his jersey. No doubt.