Mo shows up...

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Yep, its feels like the Shaun Ellis vs Abraham conversation again. I preferred Abraham, who had double digit sacks for the next 25 years or so after he left...while Ellis was a nice steady eddy performer.

Richardson will go into the HOF and Wilkerson will be a very good player for his career. That's probably how it plays out. I would love to keep Richardson over Wilk, but if you can have Wilk for 40 and Richardson for 60...it will be easy to see why the jets kept one over the other...and those are the two numbers I expect them to get.

And Wilk is better than Quinn and Jordan.

With that potential, think of the haul in a trade Richardson could get. You could get a mint for him, including firsts that might allow you to trade up and pursue one of the top QBs next year, if you still had a hole there.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
With that potential, think of the haul in a trade Richardson could get. You could get a mint for him, including firsts that might allow you to trade up and pursue one of the top QBs next year, if you still had a hole there.

You likely get 1 1st for whichever you trade...and maybe a 3rd throw-in...and likely only to a team picking mid to bottom of rd 1.

With rookie salary control, teams picking at the top likely dont move one of those picks for Richardson. But there would be teams interested. I have no doubt about that, especially with so many teams playing the 3-4 today.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
You likely get 1 1st for whichever you trade...and maybe a 3rd throw-in...and likely only to a team picking mid to bottom of rd 1.

With rookie salary control, teams picking at the top likely dont move one of those picks for Richardson. But there would be teams interested. I have no doubt about that, especially with so many teams playing the 3-4 today.

You get a mid-first and a mid-third, along with a likely mid-first the Jets have, they have the picks to swing a trade up the board.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

NO ONE is untouchable if it gets us a shot at a franchise QB.

We're just in the awesome position that even if we did have to give one up, we'd still be strong at the position . . .

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
NO ONE is untouchable if it gets us a shot at a franchise QB.

We're just in the awesome position that even if we did have to give one up, we'd still be strong at the position . . .

That's why I don't understand 55's take that somehow picking Williams hurt the Jets' positioning in that regard.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I would have liked to keep our 23 and 25 year old stud DEs...

Now we are making the huge leap that we will move one of them and get a franchise QB. I'd say that is a monumental assumption. Not saying impossible, but pretending we already know Williams is a stud and already know we'll trade Richardson or wilk for our franchise QB is just too many assumptions for me to back right now. Would I love those scenarios playing out, sure...but I think it's a little early to say that's how it will definitively play out. It's just as likely we lose both for nothing.

Savage69

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Yep, its feels like the Shaun Ellis vs Abraham conversation again. I preferred Abraham, who had double digit sacks for the next 25 years or so after he left...while Ellis was a nice steady eddy performer.

Richardson will go into the HOF and Wilkerson will be a very good player for his career. That's probably how it plays out. I would love to keep Richardson over Wilk, but if you can have Wilk for 40 and Richardson for 60...it will be easy to see why the jets kept one over the other...and those are the two numbers I expect them to get.

And Wilk is better than Quinn and Jordan.

If that was true I'm surprised teams weren't offering the Jets the moon trying to get Mo?? Plus Mo says he's not over his turf toe problem.. And I agree I always liked Abe over Ellis as well..:)

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

Now we are making the huge leap that we will move one of them and get a franchise QB. I'd say that is a monumental assumption. Not saying impossible, but pretending we already know Williams is a stud and already know we'll trade Richardson or wilk for our franchise QB is just too many assumptions for me to back right now. Would I love those scenarios playing out, sure...but I think it's a little early to say that's how it will definitively play out. It's just as likely we lose both for nothing.

IMO saying Williams will be a stud is no more of a reach than saying we'll lose Mo and Sheldon "for nothing".

If anything, the latter is the greater reach at this moment . . .

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
IMO saying Williams will be a stud is no more of a reach than saying we'll lose Mo and Sheldon "for nothing".

If anything, the latter is the greater reach at this moment . . .

I agree. Its just as likely Williams is a stud as we lose Wilk and Richardson for nothing...

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I agree. Its just as likely Williams is a stud as we lose Wilk and Richardson for nothing...

I've heard your argument for losing Mo, and how you think Sheldon may be harder to sign than Mo will be. But by definition, if one of those things happens, the other should become markedly easier, no? This is the first I'm hearing you trumpet the thought of losing BOTH.

For the record, if we DID have to give up both for a shot at a franchise QB, I'd do it. Even if it didn't pan out, there's NO line I'm willing to draw in regards to finding an answer behind QB for the next decade. But I'm missing why that's even part of the discussion right now . . .

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I've heard your argument for losing Mo, and how you think Sheldon may be harder to sign than Mo will be. But by definition, if one of those things happens, the other should become markedly easier, no? This is the first I'm hearing you trumpet the thought of losing BOTH.

For the record, if we DID have to give up both for a shot at a franchise QB, I'd do it. Even if it didn't pan out, there's NO line I'm willing to draw in regards to finding an answer behind QB for the next decade. But I'm missing why that's even part of the discussion right now . . .

I agree, I'd trade Mo and Sheldon for a young Aaron Rodgers...and I agree if we lose one we need to lock up the other and pray Williams is a stud.

I think WIlliams will be a stud...and we will lock up one. I dont think it is a foregone conclusion we trade one and get something. I am sure Panthers fans were sure at a point in time they'd get something for Peppers...they didnt.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

But who is making that assumption? And how does the drafting of Williams force the Jets to get rid of Mo or Richardson?

Short answers: 1. Nobody. 2. It doesn't.

Long answer: 1. I haven't read many, if any, posters saying that Williams is a guarantee, and therefore deal one of Mo or Richardson right now. So nobody, to the best of my knowledge, is making that assumption. 2. I stated that the Jets have at least two years to decide on Williams before extending or trading EITHER Mo or Richardson. The third year, you can't franchise both, so at that point, you need to know. If Williams is a stud, deal one of the other two. If he is a bust, you should know within two years, and should be able to keep both, albeit expensively - which it would be right now.

If this was before the salary restructure for draft picks, I could buy your argument. The team would have made a huge commitment to Williams, and therefore would have to move one of the three. But that is no longer the case. Williams' deal, as the sixth overall pick, is reasonable enough for the team to find out whether he is the real deal or not before making a decision. That was the WHOLE POINT of the salary restructuring. Guys get paid based on results, not on potential. This is the perfect case study of a team benefiting from the new salary structure.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I agree, I'd trade Mo and Sheldon for a young Aaron Rodgers...and I agree if we lose one we need to lock up the other and pray Williams is a stud.

I think WIlliams will be a stud...and we will lock up one. I dont think it is a foregone conclusion we trade one and get something. I am sure Panthers fans were sure at a point in time they'd get something for Peppers...they didnt.

Julius Peppers was 29 when he was traded.

Assuming the Jets would deal one of the two either next offseason or the following, they would be 24 or 25, and 26 or 27.

If the Jets held onto Mo for two years and then traded him at 27, then no, they shouldn't expect to get much. I suspect they would not do that. They would either make a trade next offseason, if Williams is legit, or they would trade Richardson next year or tag and move him the following year.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
But who is making that assumption? And how does the drafting of Williams force the Jets to get rid of Mo or Richardson?

Short answers: 1. Nobody. 2. It doesn't.

Long answer: 1. I haven't read many, if any, posters saying that Williams is a guarantee, and therefore deal one of Mo or Richardson right now. So nobody, to the best of my knowledge, is making that assumption. 2. I stated that the Jets have at least two years to decide on Williams before extending or trading EITHER Mo or Richardson. The third year, you can't franchise both, so at that point, you need to know. If Williams is a stud, deal one of the other two. If he is a bust, you should know within two years, and should be able to keep both, albeit expensively - which it would be right now.

If this was before the salary restructure for draft picks, I could buy your argument. The team would have made a huge commitment to Williams, and therefore would have to move one of the three. But that is no longer the case. Williams' deal, as the sixth overall pick, is reasonable enough for the team to find out whether he is the real deal or not before making a decision. That was the WHOLE POINT of the salary restructuring. Guys get paid based on results, not on potential. This is the perfect case study of a team benefiting from the new salary structure.

Couple things, Jets have 1 more offseason, but 2 NFL seasons. Agreed.

No way of knowing if a dlineman is a stud for sure after 1 year before having to tag Mo. Remember, Mo was just okay as a rookie, so was Dareus. Not all dlineman flash the way Sheldon did as a rookie, it usually takes year 2, but you already have to make a decision on Mo by then, because he is tagged and ready to go into UDFA.

We can agree it is a slippery slope. I dont agree we have all the time in the world, but we do have until February to make a decision, then tags need to be slapped and we'r into a final year of Mo. Can a deal get done with Mo once tagged? Of course. To your point, maybe he signs long term after tagged...but it will be for more than 40-45 if we wait another offseason.

Darius is going to get his deal done soon, and the market is about to sky rocket. Once the numbers come out on Dareus, come back to me about your feelings on the Mo deal and if we should have got it done for $40 like he is "reportedly" asking for.

My guess is his agent pulls 40 off the table and a number close to 55 appears...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Julius Peppers was 29 when he was traded.

Assuming the Jets would deal one of the two either next offseason or the following, they would be 24 or 25, and 26 or 27.

If the Jets held onto Mo for two years and then traded him at 27, then no, they shouldn't expect to get much. I suspect they would not do that. They would either make a trade next offseason, if Williams is legit, or they would trade Richardson next year or tag and move him the following year.

They would trade Richardson with 2 years left on his rookie deal?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Couple things, Jets have 1 more offseason, but 2 NFL seasons. Agreed.

No way of knowing if a dlineman is a stud for sure after 1 year before having to tag Mo. Remember, Mo was just okay as a rookie, so was Dareus. Not all dlineman flash the way Sheldon did as a rookie, it usually takes year 2, but you already have to make a decision on Mo by then, because he is tagged and ready to go into UDFA.

We can agree it is a slippery slope. I dont agree we have all the time in the world, but we do have until February to make a decision, then tags need to be slapped and we'r into a final year of Mo. Can a deal get done with Mo once tagged? Of course. To your point, maybe he signs long term after tagged...but it will be for more than 40-45 if we wait another offseason.

Darius is going to get his deal done soon, and the market is about to sky rocket. Once the numbers come out on Dareus, come back to me about your feelings on the Mo deal and if we should have got it done for $40 like he is "reportedly" asking for.

My guess is his agent pulls 40 off the table and a number close to 55 appears...

I don't understand your general attitude toward it, though. Bringing in another potential stud at a position of strength does not weaken that position, or the team's leverage. I don't understand how you could possibly argue it does.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't understand your general attitude toward it, though. Bringing in another potential stud at a position of strength does not weaken that position, or the team's leverage. I don't understand how you could possibly argue it does.

im arguing it reduces their need to be at the negotiation table...that appears so. It doesnt appear like we're trying to hard to work with Mo and his people. Does it to you?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
They would trade Richardson with 2 years left on his rookie deal?

His rookie deal is up after the 2016 season. The team would have to declare whether they are doing the fifth year, which I presume they would, but it's not set in stone.

If anything, that buys they even more time to decide.

What ever will you do if Williams is a stud? What if he turns out to be legit? How many arguments will we see about how terrible it is for the Jets to have stud players?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
im arguing it reduces their need to be at the negotiation table...that appears so. It doesnt appear like we're trying to hard to work with Mo and his people. Does it to you?

No. But how is that a negative?

Basically, you are arguing that it would be better for the Jets to be in a worse negotiating position, because that would force them to have to be more aggressive in negotiations.

How does anyone rationally make that argument?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Wow, I hope the Jets never draft a stud franchise QB, because if they did, they wouldn't be looking as hard any more for a stud franchise QB. :smiley-violent036: