Mo shows up...

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Richardson understands he might not always be playing with Wilkerson

Muhammad Wilkerson's in the middle of an interesting contractual spat, what with the Jets using their first draft pick on Leonard Williams and already having Sheldon Richardson on the roster.

Wilkerson is an absolute beast. He wants to get paid. But he's playing a position where the Jets are stacked. It makes negotiations tougher. Making things easier is his teammate saying Wilkerson is "worth that penny."

“He's worth that penny,” Richardson told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “And you know what penny I'm talking about. . . . We don't just want J.J. Watt money. We want it all. We want [Ndamukong] Suh money. Hopefully everybody wants that type of bread in this league.”

Richardson also made another comparison for Wilkerson in Gerald McCoy, making a pretty valid point about the level of compensation Wilkerson should expect to receive.

"Why wouldn't he?” Richardson said. “If Gerald McCoy can get $100 million, I'm pretty sure my guy Mo Wilkerson can get $100 million."

Totally fair. Really the biggest problem for Wilkerson is the same teammate who's sticking up for him. The Jets are going to have a hard time paying both Mo and Sheldon, what with a heaping chunk of change invested into the secondary with Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie this offseason.

All of that's why Richardson understands he might not always be playing with Wilkerson.

“There'll never be another Ray Lewis sticking with the same team their whole career,” Richardson said. “Peyton Manning's on a different team . . . and that's Peyton Manning. You build your relationships with [teammates], but no matter how strong they get, in the end, you got to realize that they might not be here the next day."

Wilkerson for his part admitted he was feeling "frustrated" but understands how this business works. The good news for him? If he's willing to wait and manages to stay healthy, there's a massive pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, whether or not it involves the Jets.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
“He's worth that penny,” Richardson told Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News. “And you know what penny I'm talking about. . . . We don't just want J.J. Watt money. We want it all. We want [Ndamukong] Suh money. Hopefully everybody wants that type of bread in this league.”
Hopefully Wilkerson will get more realistic (a possibility because he's not a narcissist like Richardson) and we can get him extended to a reasonable deal. That would be awesome, then we can use the franchise tag on this guy (Richardson) for the rest of his prime, cause thats the only way we're keeping him, and I'll be happy to watch him b*tch about it.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
if they can get mo signed, it will look more and more like williams will be the eventual replacement for richardson, not wilkerson as initially assumed.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
if they can get mo signed, it will look more and more like williams will be the eventual replacement for richardson, not wilkerson as initially assumed.

I think Richardson is a better player than Mo, but I think Mo is a better teammate. Sheldon will probably talk his way out of here. Glad we drafted Williams. Impossible to keep everyone.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think Richardson is a better player than Mo, but I think Mo is a better teammate. Sheldon will probably talk his way out of here. Glad we drafted Williams. Impossible to keep everyone.

That is my thought. I also think Mo might be a better fit in terms of personnel with Williams and Snacks.

If one has to go, I would deal Richardson after this season IF Williams is as advertised. If not, then you have to find a way to keep both Mo and Richardson.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

That's where I am, too. And it seems like Richardson is using Mo's contract situation to posture for his own, even with two years left on his deal.

I think, if Williams is legit, you keep Mo, and deal Richardson after this offseason. He would bring in a haul, and it would avoid the future cap issues. Plus, you'd still have one of the best DLs, if not the best, in the league with Mo-Snacks-Williams.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
That is my thought. I also think Mo might be a better fit in terms of personnel with Williams and Snacks.

If one has to go, I would deal Richardson after this season IF Williams is as advertised. If not, then you have to find a way to keep both Mo and Richardson.

I probably dont have to say it, but I feel that ship has long sailed as soon as we took Williams we had no interest in keeping our current defensive front together. Pretty sure I said that as soon as he was drafted. :)

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I probably dont have to say it, but I feel that ship has long sailed as soon as we took Williams we had no interest in keeping our current defensive front together. Pretty sure I said that as soon as he was drafted. :)

You did, but I don't agree. How does drafting Williams really change the landscape of Mo and Richardson that much, if Williams turns out to be a non-factor? The salary scale keeps guys picked early in the draft from having monstrous contracts, so it's not like his presence on the roster, if he's a bust, would make the difference.

Point is, if keeping Mo and Richardson together would be too much money after the Williams pick, why wouldn't they be too much money before the pick?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You did, but I don't agree. How does drafting Williams really change the landscape of Mo and Richardson that much, if Williams turns out to be a non-factor? The salary scale keeps guys picked early in the draft from having monstrous contracts, so it's not like his presence on the roster, if he's a bust, would make the difference.

Point is, if keeping Mo and Richardson together would be too much money after the Williams pick, why wouldn't they be too much money before the pick?

There would be more urgency on the Jets part to get those deals done, right? Mo for 40 sounds good until another pretty girl walks in the room. The pretty girl might be dumb as a pole, but you're destracted from getting a deal done with your own prize.

If the Jets didnt draft Williams...would they even be fighting these negotiations so hard? Before the draft, Mac said they would wait until after the draft to get the Wilkerson negotiations under way. His story quickly changed after the draft...now he only wants to get a deal done if it is a Jet friendly deal. he doesn't seem to care if it is market value, he reportedly only wants a deal good for the Jets.

You and others can pretend the tune didnt change because of the Williams pick...i dont agree.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

+1

If the worst case scenario here is we can only keep the best two players (and likely receive some level of compensation for the third), I'm OK with that. Let the season play out and hopefully all three dominate, in which case you decide which two make the most sense from a cap perspective . . .

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
+1

If the worst case scenario here is we can only keep the best two players (and likely receive some level of compensation for the third), I'm OK with that. Let the season play out and hopefully all three dominate, in which case you decide which two make the most sense from a cap perspective . . .

This is why I am hoping Williams develops. If he's a bust, you keep Mo and Richardson, and can't do anything with Williams but cut him after a few years. But if he develops, you can deal Richardson for a big haul, and you keep Mo and Williams.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
There would be more urgency on the Jets part to get those deals done, right? Mo for 40 sounds good until another pretty girl walks in the room. The pretty girl might be dumb as a pole, but you're destracted from getting a deal done with your own prize.

If the Jets didnt draft Williams...would they even be fighting these negotiations so hard? Before the draft, Mac said they would wait until after the draft to get the Wilkerson negotiations under way. His story quickly changed after the draft...now he only wants to get a deal done if it is a Jet friendly deal. he doesn't seem to care if it is market value, he reportedly only wants a deal good for the Jets.

You and others can pretend the tune didnt change because of the Williams pick...i dont agree.

Oh, the tune changed, but in the team's favor! The pick basically puts the Jets in a much stronger negotiating position.

Basically, you are saying that the Jets being in an urgent and desperate situation would be better for the Jets? Really?

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

What do you think his rationale was for "waiting until after the draft" in the first place, if not to see how events unfolded?

I know he likely wasn't envisioning Williams being there, but if he really WANTED to get the deal done, why delay it at all?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think Macc wants to get a deal done with Mo, but why should he do it at a price the Jets aren't comfortable with? They don't have to let Mo hit the market for another three seasons! What is with this urgency?

I know, the market will continue to escalate, but so will the cap.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think Macc wants to get a deal done with Mo, but why should he do it at a price the Jets aren't comfortable with? They don't have to let Mo hit the market for another three seasons! What is with this urgency?

I know, the market will continue to escalate, but so will the cap.

But you agree the best bang for your buck is the get the deal done now before the cap and salaries increase, right? You just indirectly said that. What's best for the jets from a financial standpoint is to get a reasonable deal done now...and the ceiling for his market is already set with the Quinn deal. If the jets can get him under 42, they should.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
But you agree the best bang for your buck is the get the deal done now before the cap and salaries increase, right? You just indirectly said that. What's best for the jets from a financial standpoint is to get a reasonable deal done now...and the ceiling for his market is already set with the Quinn deal. If the jets can get him under 42, they should.

I would prefer it. But preference is not urgency.

We're not going to know the numbers discussed unless we're in the room. And we won't be. But I would think that a deal somewhere between Jordan and Quinn, and honestly, closer to Jordan, makes sense.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
That's where I am, too. And it seems like Richardson is using Mo's contract situation to posture for his own, even with two years left on his deal.

I think, if Williams is legit, you keep Mo, and deal Richardson after this offseason. He would bring in a haul, and it would avoid the future cap issues. Plus, you'd still have one of the best DLs, if not the best, in the league with Mo-Snacks-Williams.

If it came down to it..which I hope it doesnt I would rather have Richardson than MO

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If it came down to it..which I hope it doesnt I would rather have Richardson than MO

I think Richardson would be more expensive, is less of a team guy, and I think Mo is a better scheme fit. Richardson is the better player. Mo is the better Jet.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think Richardson would be more expensive, is less of a team guy, and I think Mo is a better scheme fit. Richardson is the better player. Mo is the better Jet.

Yep, its feels like the Shaun Ellis vs Abraham conversation again. I preferred Abraham, who had double digit sacks for the next 25 years or so after he left...while Ellis was a nice steady eddy performer.

Richardson will go into the HOF and Wilkerson will be a very good player for his career. That's probably how it plays out. I would love to keep Richardson over Wilk, but if you can have Wilk for 40 and Richardson for 60...it will be easy to see why the jets kept one over the other...and those are the two numbers I expect them to get.

And Wilk is better than Quinn and Jordan.