Music: GAS, Debate, Exclamation, Exhalation ...

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'm not a fan of Keith (although I do get the alt tuning and the writing chops) but what a great line:

He then turned his ire to rap music, adding: “I don’t really like to hear people yelling at me and telling me it’s music, aka rap. I can get enough of that without leaving my house.”

Here's the article:

Brings up a question, do any of you listen to rap? If so, what's the attraction? I'm willing to objectively hear you out

NewMFS62

Weeb's Mentor
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Brings up a question, do any of you listen to rap? If so, what's the attraction? I'm willing to objectively hear you out
I usually don't go lookin for it. But if it catches my ear (like on a movie sound track) I will listen.
I do like some old ones (No Diggity, Walk this Way).
In fact I once wrote a rap parody of Walk This way when Al Leiter walked the ballpark for the Mets in a playoff game.
Here it is.
Enjoy, Later
Al Leiter is always close to the lead in number of pitches per batter. Looks like he’s lost confidence in his stuff. So, Al lets batters "Walk This Way":

If you’re a Leiter lover
Better stay under/cover
Don’t admit you feel ‘dat way.
Don’t tell me nutin’
About your ballot/ stuffin’
He ain’t no all star any way
You want to be Al’s cheer/ leader
He ain’t never been a crowd/pleaser
As far as I can remi/nisce
But the best thing, lover
Is that wild-high motha’
Throws balls that always miss, like this

Batters weren’t/swingin
And dat ain’t fans/ singin
As the ump’s left hand fly up in the/ air
Hey diddle diddle just toss it down the middle
So they might swing at it, take a /dare
So take a /chance
This ain’t no high school/dance
Maybe someone can make a/play
Hitters you ain’t been/foolin
Cause they know what he/doin
when Al lets them walk this way

Chorus:

Al lets them
Walk this way!
Get him outta’ Shea!
(repeat 2X)
(repeat all 2X)
Well just let me smack you head!
Oooh, a-like this!

He tries hitters /teasin’
Ain’t no fuckin’ reason
He can’t throw a pitch at the knees
Or throw three strikes over
To the other club’s socker
Or let his teammates play some/ D
He’s a consistent/loser
Throws like a Tampax/ user
Never throws up something they’ll miss
He just tries to nibble
Not like that ol’ Rob Dibble
And give the fans some wanted bliss, like this

Batters weren’t/swingin
And dat ain’t fans/ singin
As the ump’s left hand fly up in the air
Hey diddle diddle just toss it down the middle
So they might swing at it, take a /dare
So take a /chance
This ain’t no high school/dance
Maybe someone can make a/play
Hitters you ain’t been/foolin
Cause they know what they/doin
when Al lets them walk this way

Chorus

Last edited:

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Generally, as a rocker firmly entrenched in the music from the 60s-70s, I don't listen to rap/hip-hop. I can definitely appreciate the skill of writing the lyrics and delivering them in a live setting. That is not easy. I'm usually left stunned that those folks can remember so many words. Favorites for me in that genre would be NWA, Wu-Tang and DMX. But in very small doses.

Innocenti

Ospedale degli Innocenti
Jet Fanatics
Keith Richards is just showing his age with that comment.

Regarding the musical genre, a few years back someone told me that he only liked old rap. He said it's because the artists were telling a story. I think the point is very valid.

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
Keith Richards is just showing his age with that comment.

Regarding the musical genre, a few years back someone told me that he only liked old rap. He said it's because the artists were telling a story. I think the point is very valid.
Over the decades, Keith has ripped every band, artist and musical genre possible. He's just very cranky.

This clip always made me laugh. He says that LZ were "aptly named" and "never took off musically". lol Okay. At least he digs Jiimmy.

Innocenti

Ospedale degli Innocenti
Jet Fanatics
Over the decades, Keith has ripped every band, artist and musical genre possible. He's just very cranky.

This clip always made me laugh. He says that LZ were "aptly named" and "never took off musically". lol Okay. At least he digs Jiimmy.

The funny thing is, that the biggest thing about the Rolling Stones is their marketing. They were probably the greatest marketed band of all time. But none of the members come to mind in GOAT discussions. The Stones had some strong lyrics though.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The funny thing is, that the biggest thing about the Rolling Stones is their marketing. They were probably the greatest marketed band of all time. But none of the members come to mind in GOAT discussions. The Stones had some strong lyrics though.
song writing chops
hall of fame marketing
band made up of charachters
stuck around forever

nothing really like them

Sports equivilent?
Bartolo Colon?
Jamie Moyer?

Last edited:

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just listened to my first Haken album. Anyone here a fan?

Been seeing their name in PROG magazine (great publication BTW) so I downloaded the Affinity album

Good band! Kinda of a mix of Steve Wilson and Dream Theater? Would have liked a lot more guitar solo (guy can play too) though.

Looking for a recommendation for another one of their albums if anyone has one

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Just listened to my first Haken album. Anyone here a fan?

Been seeing their name in PROG magazine (great publication BTW) so I downloaded the Affinity album

Good band! Kinda of a mix of Steve Wilson and Dream Theater? Would have liked a lot more guitar solo (guy can play too) though.

Looking for a recommendation for another one of their albums if anyone has one
As good as the Jets sing Christmas Carol's....?

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

can't believe it's been 50 years !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary (1/6/24)​

The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary (1/6/24)

The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary​

more info
Saturday, January 6, 20248:00 PM
Tarrytown Music Hall Tarrytown, NY
available soon
Tickets go on sale for Premium Members on 10/9 at 12:00 PM EST, Members on 10/10 at 12:00 PM EST and for Non-Members on Friday, October 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM EST

Ticket prices: $44 - $74

Fees Included

Tickets go on sale for
Premium Members: Monday 10/9 at 12pm EST
Members: Tuesday 10/10 at 12pm EST
Public: Friday 10/13 at 12pm EST
The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary (1/6/24)

Presented by The Music Hall
Renowned for their high quality reproductions of historic Genesis performances since 1993, The Musical Box takes fans along for a time-travel ride, offering people a chance to relive the magic of this unique experience.

These replicas has required exhaustive visual, scenic, audio and musical research even tracking down the original music instruments used at the time. The visual aspect of The Musical Box shows are based on thousands of photos and many amateur films taken at the Genesis concerts, as well as the original slides used by the group during their shows.

Impressively, The Musical Box is the only group licensed and supported by Genesis and Peter Gabriel and has presented close to 1000 concerts across the world to more than one million spectators, in prestigious amphitheaters such as The Royal Albert Hall in London, the Olympia in Paris and the Bell Center in Montreal.

Peter Gabriel, who saw the concert was ”really impressed by the production quality and the attention to detail”; Steve Hackett and Phil Collins have even joined The Musical Box on stage.

''The Musical Box play it better than we did'' stated Phil Collins after seeing The Musical Box's production in Geneva.

A Musical Box show is a unique opportunity to discover the mystical Genesis concerts and to relive a historic rock moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global

can't believe it's been 50 years !

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary (1/6/24)​

The Musical Box Performs Genesis - ‘Selling England By The Pound’ 50th Anniversary​

more info
Saturday, January 6, 20248:00 PM
Tarrytown Music Hall Tarrytown, NY
available soon
Tickets go on sale for Premium Members on 10/9 at 12:00 PM EST, Members on 10/10 at 12:00 PM EST and for Non-Members on Friday, October 13, 2023 at 12:00 PM EST

Ticket prices: $44 - $74

Fees Included

Tickets go on sale for
Premium Members: Monday 10/9 at 12pm EST
Members: Tuesday 10/10 at 12pm EST
Public: Friday 10/13 at 12pm EST

Presented by The Music Hall
Renowned for their high quality reproductions of historic Genesis performances since 1993, The Musical Box takes fans along for a time-travel ride, offering people a chance to relive the magic of this unique experience.

These replicas has required exhaustive visual, scenic, audio and musical research even tracking down the original music instruments used at the time. The visual aspect of The Musical Box shows are based on thousands of photos and many amateur films taken at the Genesis concerts, as well as the original slides used by the group during their shows.

Impressively, The Musical Box is the only group licensed and supported by Genesis and Peter Gabriel and has presented close to 1000 concerts across the world to more than one million spectators, in prestigious amphitheaters such as The Royal Albert Hall in London, the Olympia in Paris and the Bell Center in Montreal.

Peter Gabriel, who saw the concert was ”really impressed by the production quality and the attention to detail”; Steve Hackett and Phil Collins have even joined The Musical Box on stage.

''The Musical Box play it better than we did'' stated Phil Collins after seeing The Musical Box's production in Geneva.

A Musical Box show is a unique opportunity to discover the mystical Genesis concerts and to relive a historic rock moment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks but I only see the originals

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Thanks but I only see the originals

original instruments, costumes and films !

oh, you meant the players ... nevermind :)

Speaking of which, when the $%^$ is Stuermer ever going to tour with his band?

I do see your point for the most part. The future of prog and fusion lies only in tribute bands. Everyone in the originals are either too old or no longer with us. I would like to see a King Crimson tribute, but you'd need 20 guys just to cover the variety. Most of these bands are pretenders at best (I saw the Mahavishnu Project last year or so and I wanted to rip the guitar from the hack's hands trying to play McLaughlin's parts, didn't even have a scalloped neck)

There's a tribute band playing around called Magical Mystery Doors. The pay tribute to the Beatles, Led Zep and the Doors. I thought, so cover band then, getting a $48 for a show. Then someone told me that they do much more than that:

Throughout the show, Magical Mystery Doors combines some of these classic compositions in ways that surprise and delight audiences time and time again. The melody from The Doors’ “Hello, I Love You” laying atop Led Zeppelin’s “Misty Mountain Hop.” The pounding beat of Zep’s “When The Levee Breaks” coupled with the serene strumming of The Beatles’ “Dear Prudence.” The thematic sequence of The Rain Song – Riders On The Storm – Here Comes The Sun. These rare arrangements take crowds on an unexpected and exhilarating journey “Over The Hills And Far Away.”

Now at least that's creative.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
original instruments, costumes and films !

oh, you meant the players ... nevermind :)

Speaking of which, when the $%^$ is Stuermer ever going to tour with his band?

I do see your point for the most part. The future of prog and fusion lies only in tribute bands. Everyone in the originals are either too old or no longer with us. I would like to see a King Crimson tribute, but you'd need 20 guys just to cover the variety. Most of these bands are pretenders at best (I saw the Mahavishnu Project last year or so and I wanted to rip the guitar from the hack's hands trying to play McLaughlin's parts, didn't even have a scalloped neck)

There's a tribute band playing around called Magical Mystery Doors. The pay tribute to the Beatles, Led Zep and the Doors. I thought, so cover band then, getting a $48 for a show. Then someone told me that they do much more than that:

Throughout the show, Magical Mystery Doors combines some of these classic compositions in ways that surprise and delight audiences time and time again. The melody from The Doors’ “Hello, I Love You” laying atop Led Zeppelin’s “Misty Mountain Hop.” The pounding beat of Zep’s “When The Levee Breaks” coupled with the serene strumming of The Beatles’ “Dear Prudence.” The thematic sequence of The Rain Song – Riders On The Storm – Here Comes The Sun. These rare arrangements take crowds on an unexpected and exhilarating journey “Over The Hills And Far Away.”

Now at least that's creative.
No for me it is nothing but Peter, Steve, Phil, Mike, Tony & Ant....with Chester & Stuermer thrown in. OK Nic too

I hope to meet Ant next year who knows.

Thats me but i have met players from the Music Box.......Not my kind of people or thing

As far as Stuermer on tour??? Not sure but might go....Chester for sure