Music: GAS, Debate, Exclamation, Exhalation ...

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
No...I'm not a member nor ever was of a group. I just enjoy the sound of the 50s.

Was just going to ask that. Some of these guys were pretty much spot on with no training whatsoever. Not easy to do and it takes a LOT of practice.

There was a doo wop group called Arthur Lee Maye and the Crowns back in the 50's. They had some hits, but more notably, Arthur Lee did background vocals on Richard Berry's original recording of Louie, Louie.

Mr. Maye also had another career of note as Lee Maye, a lefty hitting speedy OF for 5 MLB teams ('59-71). Had over 1,000 MLB hits and once hit a walk off HR off Stallard to beat the Mets.

Trying to think of any other legit musicians from pro sports. Bernie Williams, who is an amazing guitarist, is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
BTW: Today's recommendation --

Source Audio Zio.jpg

Just came out a month ago. SA just hit another grand slam. This is "always on" territory.

SA's description:
The word "ZIO" is an acronym for Impedance (“Z” is the electrical symbol for impedance), Input (“I”), and Output (“O”). The pedal is designed to take a guitar’s high impedance signal, sweeten the tone with any of its four preamp circuits, and output a strong, low impedance signal that won’t be altered by the buffered dry tones of effect pedals further down the signal chain. High fidelity, noise-free Burr-Brown op amps help give ZIO extreme clarity and responsive pick dynamics, while maintaining ideal body and warmth. ZIO has four distinct preamp circuits. JFET offers a completely transparent signal boost with zero coloring or distortion. LOW-CUT reduces “tubby” bottom-end for a tighter sound with added headroom. STUDIO finds inspiration from the time-honored “Pultec Trick,” a studio technique that adds clarity by cutting the “mud frequencies” and adding mid-range articulation. E-PLEX captures the focused and subtle grit of the preamps found in vintage Echoplex Tape Delay units. The ZIO’s TONE toggle offers three different levels of capacitance (or simulated cable length) to brighten or darken the tone.

and yeah, it immediately earned the nickname "Uncle"

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Was just going to ask that. Some of these guys were pretty much spot on with no training whatsoever. Not easy to do and it takes a LOT of practice.

There was a doo wop group called Arthur Lee Maye and the Crowns back in the 50's. They had some hits, but more notably, Arthur Lee did background vocals on Richard Berry's original recording of Louie, Louie.

Mr. Maye also had another career of note as Lee Maye, a lefty hitting speedy OF for 5 MLB teams ('59-71). Had over 1,000 MLB hits and once hit a walk off HR off Stallard to beat the Mets.

Trying to think of any other legit musicians from pro sports. Bernie Williams, who is an amazing guitarist, is the only one that comes to mind at the moment.
I too can only think of Lee Maye as a pro athlete who was in a group. College and high school had a few athletes who also sang.
The Cleftones had three of its members from the 1955 PSAL City Champs (Jamaica H.S.), Herb Cox, Berman Patterson , and Charlie Hodges.

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Just came out from one of my favorite manufacturers. Stereo too. Pedal releases are even better than draft day ! This is Sauce, Wilson and JJ III all rolled into one little box of joy
SA Atlas.png

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Hey Wicker Man, great video! Quadruple hybrid playing! Pick AND fingers and slide AND fingers all at once. I have never seen that. Well maybe Beck but that's about it.

Video also reminded me that I need to call Sweetwater (see banner behind them) to see where my Mel9 is :)

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jordan Rudess at Ridgefield on solo grand piano last night. He might technically be the best keyboardist alive today.

Started with a long and excellent improv. Did a very hard Bach piece, a piano trubite/medly of 70's Prog-Rock, a Dream Theater medley and even sang a Bowie and a Elton John song. Told stories (didn't mention W.Man), demonstrated that I-pad instrument thingee he developed and even played guitar on one piece (that he's not the best at :) ).

Best of all, he showed us all a new app he found

This service takes recordings, seperates the parts so you can eliminate whatever instrument you want and you can manipulate key, bpm and even the formant on vocals. He took a Yes and an ELP song and used just the instrument he wanted and jammed along. This would be perfect for open mic

I was so inspired, I went home and practiced for a few hours and I'm not even a keyboard player

Just announced, Rudess' long time partner, John Petrucci is playing in October with Mike Portnoy and Dave LaRue. I think he is doing his two (excellent) solo albums.

Music isn't dead yet

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
Jordan Rudess at Ridgefield on solo grand piano last night. He might technically be the best keyboardist alive today.

Started with a long and excellent improv. Did a very hard Bach piece, a piano trubite/medly of 70's Prog-Rock, a Dream Theater medley and even sang a Bowie and a Elton John song. Told stories (didn't mention W.Man), demonstrated that I-pad instrument thingee he developed and even played guitar on one piece (that he's not the best at :) ).

Best of all, he showed us all a new app he found

This service takes recordings, seperates the parts so you can eliminate whatever instrument you want and you can manipulate key, bpm and even the formant on vocals. He took a Yes and an ELP song and used just the instrument he wanted and jammed along. This would be perfect for open mic

I was so inspired, I went home and practiced for a few hours and I'm not even a keyboard player

Just announced, Rudess' long time partner, John Petrucci is playing in October with Mike Portnoy and Dave LaRue. I think he is doing his two (excellent) solo albums.

Music isn't dead yet
That is very cool

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
for some reason, the previous thread (if it hasn't been axed by now) made me think of this. Kinda miss the 70's

ProfessorJet

Hosed
Jet Fanatics
I'm a big fan of Starcrawler's young guitarist, Henri Cash. Just monster tone. Thought you might appreciate this gear rundown, especially when he talks about his custom Parsons three string White Bat.