Music: GAS, Debate, Exclamation, Exhalation ...

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
what I love so much about my stereo is the width of the sound stage. listening to Brand X right now to check it out and the musicians are all over the stage in front of me. somethings that I listen to are so wide that I have to look off to the side because it sounds like someone is over there. so freakin cool
Yeah i miss some of that but I got tired of chasing the next big thing lol. Your system sounds fantastic. If you ever invite me up (after the virus) Maybe I will go back to chasing again lol

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
The funny thing is i still have many genesis concerts locked in my head. so the stereo just brings it out lol.

I was/am good friends with the editor of guitar magazine (he is no longer there & he would take me to many free concerts with his pass. I know people will be shocked but I found all the other groups boring. There is only one real group for me. When you have seen the best you forget the rest lol. I fell in love on April 10th 1976 & I still love the same group....what can i say. music starts & stops with these six guys

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Good trivia the Beatles had three top hits in the top 20 at the same time. no one has had fours at the same but only the six have had five in the same week top 20

Gabriel, Collins, Genesis, Mike & the mechanics & Hackett (with GTR) funny is the two best may be banks & Phillips but they don't cave in at all to sell records not that the others do. six of the best

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think a seperate thread is needed for Butterscotch Genesis stories. Would love to hear some

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
CONCERTS:

Concerts, restaurants and ballgames, darn I miss that. Huge part of our lives.

CH mentioned Ridgefield. I love that place, been going for years. Tarrytown Music Hall and that are our go to venues although we will go anywhere for a good show. I prefer Tarrytown because its really close but a nice long ride with the top down to Ridgefield (about an hour away) on a summer night, park in a non door ding wide spot behind the school, walk to town and have dinner outside before a show just can't be beat. Plus they have much more in the way of progressive acts than the twinkle-ding-dong place that TTown has become. Always sit in the first row of the balcony of either place so no one stands in front of us during the show. Of course, before we go up, always go to the front of the stage downstairs to see the pedals if we can.

Used to like Daryl's House too (good food, great schedule, cheap tix, tiny venue, good view of pedals) but they are fired from our list now. Getting too old to stand on line for 2 hours at the Iridium, but they also have high level (musicality wise) acts.

When the world shut down, we were at the Dweezil Zappa show in the Music Hall. So sad when he announced that they were packing it in. At the time, we had about 6 future shows in the ticket draw. Three were cancelled but they still keep kicking the two we had at Ridgefield down the road ... Musical Box in May (A great show for fans of the PG era Genesis ... cough ..cough .. :) ) and Toxic Monkey (Steve Lukather's jam band, a good one for guitar-son) that they moved to a Sunday night in December. That better not be a Jets SNF night because it will be right in the middle of the big playoff push this year. The other is annoying, King Crimson at Forest Hills. Cost a fortune, no reshedule date and these guys are getting old.

The wife rates concerts by how long I go home and practice afterwards. Al DiMeola makes me stay up until dawn, the bastard. Steve Vai almost as much. Robin Trower, an hour or two.

Most fun show is Tower of Power (who is at Ridgefield and/or TTown every year). Not particulary a funk fan, but these guys are TIGHT. TOP horns, holy mackeral. Just a great show. You have to see it to understand what I mean. Plus you can just relax when you get home, no woodshedding necessary.

Best shows ever? Shaeffer Music Festival in Wollman's Rink. $1.50 tix , sit right in front of some of the all time greats while the sun sets behind them, if you time your "entertainment" right (well it was the early 70's), it was an uplifting exerience. Best of the best? Mahavishnu in August '73. It was the show when they taped the album From Nothingness to Eternity and when the most talented band that was ever put together (sorry BS, but as great as Collins and Hackett were, we're talking McLaughlin and Cobham here) was at their tightest. They start the show and I'm with my keyboard player from a band that played that type of music (you can actually play music back then rather than just covering oldie singles ... yawn). I'm stoked .. uh ... and timed. Cobham starts by smashing the gong and I think that they are about to open with Birds of Fire, which has been my signature piece to this day. I yell out "Yeah!" and the stage mics pick it up. It made the album. The piece was Trilogy which no one had heard until then, but I do get to say, well yeah, I did some recording in the old days, I was even on a Mahavishnu album. Me and the boys taped that live show the summer before John broke up the original lineup. Always been hurt that when Jerry and Jan did Like Children that they didn't ask me in. Oh well, that's show biz.

There was a Star Trek: Voyager episode where they went through nothingness for a year on the way back home from the Delta quadrant. That is what this past year has been like.

Concerts, restaurants, ballgames (sigh)

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
CONCERTS:

CH mentioned Ridgefield. I love that place, been going for years. Tarrytown Music Hall and that are our go to venues although we will go anywhere for a good show. I prefer Tarrytown because its really close but a nice long ride with the top down to Ridgefield (about an hour away) on a summer night, park in a non door ding wide spot behind the school, walk to town and have dinner outside before a show just can't be beat. Plus they have much more in the way of progressive acts than the twinkle-ding-dong place that TTown has become. Always sit in the first row of the balcony of either place so no one stands in front of us during the show. Of course, before we go up, always go to the front of the stage downstairs to see the pedals if we can.

Used to like Daryl's House too (good food, great schedule, cheap tix, tiny venue, good view of pedals) but they are fired from our list now. Getting too old to stand on line for 2 hours at the Iridium, but they also have high level (musicality wise) acts.

When the world shut down, we were at the Dweezil Zappa show in the Music Hall. So sad when he announced that they were packing it in. At the time, we had about 6 future shows in the ticket draw. Three were cancelled but they still keep kicking the two we had at Ridgefield down the road ... Musical Box in May (A great show for fans of the PG era Genesis ... cough ..cough .. :) ) and Toxic Monkey (Steve Lukather's jam band, a good one for guitar-son) that they moved to a Sunday night in December. That better not be a Jets SNF night because it will be right in the middle of the big playoff push this year. The other is annoying, King Crimson at Forest Hills. Cost a fortune, no reshedule date and these guys are getting old.

The wife rates concerts by how long I go home and practice afterwards. Al DiMeola makes me stay up until dawn, the bastard. Steve Vai almost as much. Robin Trower, an hour or two.

Most fun show is Tower of Power (who is at Ridgefield and/or TTown every year). Not particulary a funk fan, but these guys are TIGHT. TOP horns, holy mackeral. Just a great show. You have to see it to understand what I mean. Plus you can just relax when you get home, no woodshedding necessary.

Best shows ever? Shaeffer Music Festival in Wollman's Rink. $1.50 tix , sit right in front of some of the all time greats while the sun sets behind them, if you time your "entertainment" right (well it was the early 70's), it was an uplifting exerience. Best of the best? Mahavishnu in August '73. It was the show when they taped the album From Nothingness to Eternity and when the most talented band that was ever put together (sorry BS, but as great as Collins and Hackett were, we're talking McLaughlin and Cobham here) was at their tightest. They start the show and I'm with my keyboard player from a band that played that type of music (you can actually play music back then rather than just covering oldie singles ... yawn). I'm stoked .. uh ... and timed. Cobham starts by smashing the gong and I think that they are about to open with Birds of Fire, which has been my signature piece to this day. I yell out "Yeah!" and the stage mics pick it up. It made the album. The piece was Trilogy which no one had heard until then, but I do get to say, well yeah, I did some recording in the old days, I was even on a Mahavishnu album. Me and the boys taped that live show the summer before John broke up the original lineup. Always been hurt that when Jerry and Jan did Like Children that they didn't ask me in. Oh well, that's show biz.

There was a Star Trek: Voyager episode where they went through nothingness for a year on the way back home from the Delta quadrant. That is what this past year has been like.

Piano son, says he knows of the Death Waltz. says it's impossible to play with 2 hands but there is probably an arrangement out there for 2 hands

Most of your stuff is a little before my time but at least you know Steve Vai. one time we were at Disney, and my son made friends with a guitar player who plays at Downtown Disney which is actually called Disney Springs now. the guy tells him that Steve Vai is playing at House of Blues that night. House of Blues is right in Disney Springs, so my son went and got tickets that day for the show. amazing that they were still available. I think they were only $20 bucks or something crazy cheap. I think they were general admission in the balcony or something. so he went and had a great time

I never new Al DiMeola, until I got Tidal. He showed up as a suggestion for me to try. I put some of his stuff in my library

My stereo guy is a few years older then me. sometimes I just go to the store to shoot the shit. Now a days, the good stereo stores consist of pretty much just the owner sitting in the store. Much different then 20 years ago when you had to wait for one of the salesman. now they pretty much make most of their money on custom installs for the rich. different world today. Anyway, we were talking about music one day and how I played trumpet in high school. He told me to check out Tower of Power which you just reminded me to do. Mahavishnu are also on Tidal, but I a not familiar with them

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
TOP records don't match their live performances but What Is Hip and You Got to Funkifize is a good taste

Di Meola isn't the greatest composer so his records aren't the greatest but as a player, he traded licks with Larry Coryell on a Lenny Whote solo album (Venusian Summer) and just smoked him, name of the piece is Prince of the Sea if you can get that

Vai? For the Love of God (forgot which album it was)

Another band in the genre that most folks don't know about is CAB. Some great players got together in the early 2000's and did some amazing work. Your kids may know them, Bunny Brunel, Dennis Chambers, Tony McAlpine. Suggested pieces are Boogie Me, South Side and Hold On

Mahavishnu? Check out Bird's of Fire and One Word, if not the whole Birds of Fire album

Some more, if I haven't bored you yet:

Return to Forever: After the Cosmic Rain, that's Stanley Clarke on bass but before DiMeola joined (Billy Conners can play too)

David Sancious and Tone: Sky Church Hymn #9 (Sancious played keys on the first two Springsteen albums, which so why the piano opening to NYC Serenade and the organ solo in Kitty's back were way above anything else you hear in Bruce's catalog). He played guitar on this cut, guitar-son should love it)

Jean-Luc Ponty: The Struggle of the Turtle to the Sea, Egocentric Molecules (live version)

Mo Foster: Gil (that's the late great Gary Moore on guitar)

Daryl Struemer: Yin Yang Boogie

Brand X: Cambodia, and so to F .....

Liquid Tension Experiment: Amazing super group band (John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin) that only made two albums. Try State of Grace and Freedom of Speech

Vinne Moore: Race with Destiny and soooooo much more (no pun intended)

Eric Johnson''s version on Coltrane's Mr. PC

newer stuff?

Vulfpeck: Dean Town

Umphrey's McGee

Mindi Abair: More conventional stuff, amazing woman, try Had to Learn the Hard way and Not Bad for a Girl

Mellow?

Peter Buffett: Trail of Tears

Freideman: Indian Summer

sorry, I get carried away with this stuff. Of course it's guitar heavy and we didn't even hit up Mr. Fripp's King Crimson (stick to the Wetton-Bruford interation for the best stuff) or Yes (Close to Edge entire album for their peak) or Robin Trower (Procol Harum home album, first two solo albums). Maybe some Zappa? (Muffin Man, the whoe Apostrphe album). If you and/or music-sons get one or two new pieces or bands out of this, my work is done :)

GAS? There's the greatest board ever made: The Gear Page. Costs me a fortune !

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
TOP records don't match their live performances but What Is Hip and You Got to Funkifize is a good taste

Di Meola isn't the greatest composer so his records aren't the greatest but as a player, he traded licks with Larry Coryell on a Lenny Whote solo album (Venusian Summer) and just smoked him, name of the piece is Prince of the Sea if you can get that

Vai? For the Love of God (forgot which album it was)

Another band in the genre that most folks don't know about is CAB. Some great players got together in the early 2000's and did some amazing work. Your kids may know them, Bunny Brunel, Dennis Chambers, Tony McAlpine. Suggested pieces are Boogie Me, South Side and Hold On

Mahavishnu? Check out Bird's of Fire and One Word, if not the whole Birds of Fire album

Some more, if I haven't bored you yet:

Return to Forever: After the Cosmic Rain, that's Stanley Clarke on bass but before DiMeola joined (Billy Conners can play too)

David Sancious and Tone: Sky Church Hymn #9 (Sancious played keys on the first two Springsteen albums, which so why the piano opening to NYC Serenade and the organ solo in Kitty's back were way above anything else you hear in Bruce's catalog). He played guitar on this cut, guitar-son should love it)

Jean-Luc Ponty: The Struggle of the Turtle to the Sea, Egocentric Molecules (live version)

Mo Foster: Gil (that's the late great Gary Moore on guitar)

Daryl Struemer: Yin Yang Boogie

Brand X: Cambodia, and so to F .....

Liquid Tension Experiment: Amazing super group band (John Petrucci, Mike Portnoy, Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin) that only made two albums. Try State of Grace and Freedom of Speech

Vinne Moore: Race with Destiny and soooooo much more (no pun intended)

Eric Johnson''s version on Coltrane's Mr. PC

newer stuff?

Vulfpeck: Dean Town

Umphrey's McGee

Mindi Abair: More conventional stuff, amazing woman, try Had to Learn the Hard way and Not Bad for a Girl

Mellow?

Peter Buffett: Trail of Tears

Freideman: Indian Summer

sorry, I get carried away with this stuff. Of course it's guitar heavy and we didn't even hit up Mr. Fripp's King Crimson (stick to the Wetton-Bruford interation for the best stuff) or Yes (Close to Edge entire album for their peak) or Robin Trower (Procol Harum home album, first two solo albums). Maybe some Zappa? (Muffin Man, the whoe Apostrphe album). If you and/or music-sons get one or two new pieces or bands out of this, my work is done :)

GAS? There's the greatest board ever made: The Gear Page. Costs me a fortune !
ok. thats a lot to take in. did a quick search for a few and found a bunch on Tidal. and will check them out

I know a few. For the Love of God is great

dont know liquid tension experiment but I know a little Dream Theater so I know Petrucci. know Eric Johnson but will check out that song

Yes was still popular in the 80's. I have Yessongs. love the solos. mood for a day of course. loved Wakemans excerpts from henry the eighth. don't know if you liked the 80's stuff 90125? I have a kinda hard to find nowadays 9012live cd . had the album back in the day. I love the Trevor Rabin solo called Solly's Beard. one of my favorites

I'll check out as much of the other stuff as I can find and let you know what I think.

ever hear of Jason Becker?

cool Steve Vai thing you may not know. he was in a movie about tom brady,called Crossroads. well actually it was a guitar playervdeal with the devil movie, not a qb one. had Ralph Machio, the Karate kid in it. Vai and Machio had a guitar battle for Machios soul. some very cool guitar playing. some of it I have on a Vai album

Last edited:

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
ok. thats a lot to take in. did a quick search for a few and found a bunch on Tidal. and will check them out I know a few. For the Love of God is great dont know liquid tension experiment but I know a little Dream Theater so I know Petrucci. know Eric Johnson but will check out that song Yes was still popular in the 80's. I have Yessongs. love the solos. mood for a day of course. loved Wakemans excerpts from henry the eighth. don't know if you liked the 80's stuff 90125? I have a kinda hard to find nowadays 9012live cd . had the album back in the day. I love the Trevor Rabin solo called Solly's Beard. one of my favorites I'll check out as much of the other stuff as I can find and let you know what I think. ever hear of Jason Becker? cool Steve Vai thing you may not know. he was in a movie about tom brady,called Crossroads. well actually it was a guitar playervdeal with the devil movie, not a qb one. had Ralph Machio, the Karate kid in it. Vai and Machio had a guitar battle for Machios soul. some very cool guitar playing. some of it I have on a Vai album

Good Yes stuff there. I think that they still holds up to this day. Even Union had some good parts to it. Great concerts too. Was always a huge fan of Bruford so I thought that a lot was lost when White replaced him.

Have not listened to Jason Becker. Will check him later. Gets several points for having a Carvin on his webpage cover !

Crossroads is my very favorite movie with a lot of stuff that hits home. Best line is "I'm the bluesman, he's from Long Island", The crossroads is a real place where that the legend started at. Now a tourist site, it's on my bucket list is to go there for a photo. Problem is that it is in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I don't do well in the deep south. Maybe on the way to Big Bend NP some day soon.

crossroads.jpg

"Eugene's Trick Bag", the classical style piece was losely based on a Paganini piece (who also was said to have sold his soul to the devil). Arlen Roth showed Ralph Maccio, who could not play, how to look like he was actually playing the parts and really pulled it off impressively. All the fingering is spot on correct until the very end. He also did a lot of the in-movie playing. Ry Cooder, one of the greatest slide players did the excellent soundtrack. Did you catch some of Bad Horsie when Vai was cutting heads? Of course Via, a former student of Satriani, was from Long Island, where the greatest guitarists in the world grow up :), Vai also did the guitar hero playing for the Bill & Ted movies.

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
Yeah i miss some of that but I got tired of chasing the next big thing lol. Your system sounds fantastic. If you ever invite me up (after the virus) Maybe I will go back to chasing again lol

I better never have you over. I don't want to be the reason you go broke. I actually really love this stuff. Been into it since I wasn't even driving yet. Most of the rich people , they just have whole house stereo systems, mine is better than any of there's. Only twice have I come across people who were actually into stereo. The one I mentioned and another guy who built a theater in his basement. the real thing. that was probably 20 years ago or more. he had a 5k dvd player among other things. told me he had an old apartment system that he wasn't sure if he wanted to keep or sell. I said, yeah, usually you don't get much selling old stereo stuff. he said , not in this case. he was told by the store, that he should get better then 30k for it.

I'm not chasing any of it. Just amazed how, pretty much each aspect of these houses, costs more than most peoples entire house, and then they barely ever go there

just this summer plastered a party barn. seen a few of these lately. old barn conversion like I talked about. probably 60x 30' or more. they just built it behind their actual weekend house, just to hang out in. A giant great room. giant fireplace , giant modern kitchen and a loft maybe with a bedroom. not sure what was up there. 3 or 4? car garage underneath sauna, laundry room , couple fancy bathrooms and off the back, a small indoor basketball court for the kids with a little silo on the other side. not sure what that was for. never saw it finished

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
Good Yes stuff there. I think that they still holds up to this day. Even Union had some good parts to it. Great concerts too. Was always a huge fan of Bruford so I thought that a lot was lost when White replaced him.

Have not listened to Jason Becker. Will check him later. Gets several points for having a Carvin on his webpage cover !

Crossroads is my very favorite movie with a lot of stuff that hits home. Best line is "I'm the bluesman, he's from Long Island", The crossroads is a real place where that the legend started at. Now a tourist site, it's on my bucket list is to go there for a photo. Problem is that it is in Clarksdale, Mississippi. I don't do well in the deep south. Maybe on the way to Big Bend NP some day soon.

View attachment 2155

"Eugene's Trick Bag", the classical style piece was losely based on a Paganini piece (who also was said to have sold his soul to the devil). Arlen Roth showed Ralph Maccio, who could not play, how to look like he was actually playing the parts and really pulled it off impressively. All the fingering is spot on correct until the very end. He also did a lot of the in-movie playing. Ry Cooder, one of the greatest slide players did the excellent soundtrack. Did you catch some of Bad Horsie when Vai was cutting heads? Of course Via, a former student of Satriani, was from Long Island, where the greatest guitarists in the world grow up :), Vai also did the guitar hero playing for the Bill & Ted movies.
Sounds like you know the movie. lol. I just checked to make sure I still had it cause I may have to watch it again now. Yeah. Love Eugene's trick bag. I looked hard to find a soundtrack for that movie which I never did find. Even bought some Ry Cooder to see if any songs were on it. Then I found Vai's The Elusive Light and Sound. It has all the songs that Vai did for movies and tv. even has some cut scenes from the movie in the songs. Bad Horsie?

A lot of guys had songs about going down to the crossroads. Skynyrd had one but they remade it . You probably know who did it first. I can't remember.

Jason Becker's story is a sad, but inspiring one. He was an up and coming guitar hero just got a gig in David Lee Roth's band and then he came down with ALS. he's had it for like 30 years and still keeps composing music somehow by communicating with his eyes or something I don't know all the details exactly, you can look it up. the guy is amazing. his latest album, I believe is a few years old now. Triumphant Hearts. Vai, Satriani and a bunch of others play the songs that he wrote

When I started this musical quest of having all my songs in one place, there weren't any hi res streaming services so I bought hi res downloads which there weren't tons of at the time either. They are the equivalent of an sacd or dvd audio if you know what those are. Since there weren't tons out there, I would buy stuff that I didn't know but that had been praised for their sound quality. Tried some blues guitar stuff that you probably know. Jimmy Rogers, Jimmy D. Lane, Kenny Wayne Shepherd...

so, listened to a few things today. not sweet spot listening cause I didn't have time. Just background music. Tried Mr. PC which I liked. Then I tried the 2 Liquid Tension Experiment albums. Guitar son, Jordan, came home heard it and asked if that was the band I asked him if he knew last night and he actually remembered there name. he then did something on his phone and went to his room so I'm thinking he made note of it for later. Haven't seen him since to ask, but it sounded like his music. some of it resembled the Dream Theater stuff that I know. I liked it. added it to my library. Not something that will get my wife to sit next to me on the coach and read a book while I listen, but cool. I was hoping for a good mellow one and it came up last. Hour glass. Nice slow one. will keep checking out the other ones you suggested too

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
Peter Buffet good for reading a book music. listening to him while working on an estimate

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
CONCERTS:

I like to have a meal outside the Tarrytown music hall at the Greek place on the corner. there is a burger place next to the Ridgefield playhouse.

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
After we sold our business I sold police radar for a few years. I go down to LI to see a small department & show the officer our units. We end the sales demo & on the way back to the station he says do you want to meet someone & pulls into a keypad gate. We are halfway down the driveway & I ask him well are you going to tell me. He says how about Billy Joel. I said sure & all the questions start going through my head......Guess what I like his music but I was going to ask him all boating questions lol. Well he was not home so we drove around the property...not bad lol

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global

View attachment 2155

Saw Bruford when he played with Genesis at my first concert in 1976. the two together were amazing but so were Chester & Phil for years.

Genesis has always had a secret weapon & that is Anthony Phillips who plays the most amazing 12 string guitar In fact early Genesis sometimes had three of them going on the same song. He is the only one of the six i have not met.