New York Jets 2022 NFL Draft Reaction Thread

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
The Jets will have 11 new starters in 2022 as a result of the draft, free agency, and returning from season ending injuries.

Breece Hall, CJ Uzomah, G.Wilson, Tomlinson, Becton, Whitehead, Joyner, Gardner, DJ Reed, Lawson and J.Johnson.

This is going to be a much better team. Much better. If it all clicks and they stay relatively healthy, I could see 8-10 wins.

LRJets

First Round Tender
Jet Fanatics
Using today's Post as a representative sample of their football preference, the first 6 margin article teasers....4 about the Giants, one on the Islanders, 1 on the Jets, . Oh yes the Jets, while they laud their Giants short of measuring for SB rings, the jets article deals with Micheal Clemons, his age, background, and his character flaws.
I noticed their bias all year round, but it bothered me more since the draft .

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Using today's Post as a representative sample of their football preference, the first 6 margin article teasers....4 about the Giants, one on the Islanders, 1 on the Jets, . Oh yes the Jets, while they laud their Giants short of measuring for SB rings, the jets article deals with Micheal Clemons, his age, background, and his character flaws.
I noticed their bias all year round, but it bothered me more since the draft .
That's why the Jets are unique in the NFL. They are hated nationally for being a New York team, yet don't have the advantages of being a New York team because they're the "other" New York team.

So they get bashed nationally, but don't have a friendly home press to counter it.

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
And we are now in a pretty good position, that if he fails, we have a great base built to surround a new QB in next years draft with.
Although I have a great feeling about Zach. He is definitely putting in the work this offseason. Now we wait and see if it pays off.
All we can do is hope he progresses. I think the team is in a great position.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Overall loved this draft. TE pick baffles me a bit with the free agency signings but if this kid can be a future #1 guy, I get it. Plus depth never hurts! Joe D and Salah nailed it on ever pick. They all were positions of need and top ranked guys at their draft positions. Now its time to put in the work and show and prove on the field. We can have 4-5 legit starters and true contributors at that this year. Gardner, Wilson, Johnson II and B. Hall can be #1 guys for us this year.

Not taking anything away from our rookie starters from last year but they either struggled quite a bit or didn't contribute enough to help the team in anyway for the W's. Vera-Tucker did the best for us obviously. M. Carter and E. Moore had pretty good stats but nothing mind blowing. Carter II, Echols, and any other DB starter did ok but not really and we all know how much Zach struggled. Yes he showed signs, they all did but nothing mind blowing.

These first four picks might actually be able to produce at pro bowl type numbers. At least 2 out of the 4. I think that’s fair to say that at the least.

Last edited:

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
That's why the Jets are unique in the NFL. They are hated nationally for being a New York team, yet don't have the advantages of being a New York team because they're the "other" New York team.

So they get bashed nationally, but don't have a friendly home press to counter it.

I was shocked to see Cimini give the Jets an “A” for this draft. He seems to relish the opportunity to SOJ this team every opportunity he gets. Every interview on Kay or other shows is “well, this IS the Jets we’re talking about” blah blah. I believe the narrative is going to change very soon. This team is on the upswing and the “SOJ LOLZ, butt fumble, Just End the Season” tripe is going to stop. We had a great off season in FA and the draft. If Zach excels this year, it’s going to be a beautiful result.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I was shocked to see Cimini give the Jets an “A” for this draft. He seems to relish the opportunity to SOJ this team every opportunity he gets. Every interview on Kay or other shows is “well, this IS the Jets we’re talking about” blah blah. I believe the narrative is going to change very soon. This team is on the upswing and the “SOJ LOLZ, butt fumble, Just End the Season” tripe is going to stop. We had a great off season in FA and the draft. If Zach excels this year, it’s going to be a beautiful result.
I doubt the narrative changes even if this team wins a SB in the next few years. The narrative is deeply ingrained, and success seems to have nothing to do with it.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think his mommy finally got him potty trained

LetsGo!!!!!!!!!!
Don’t care about his mommy, as long as junior Lafleur has him potty trained. It took watching the older kids last year for him to get it .

Innocenti

Ospedale degli Innocenti
Jet Fanatics
Thoughts:
The Jets:
Going into the draft, I was looking at maybe Stingley/Sauce and Walker, or CB, WR at #4 and #10. I wasn't expecting Thibodeaux to fall as hard as predicted. And even though some mocks had Walker 1st overall, others had him as #3 DE. After Stingley, and Thibodeaux were selected, I was thinking that trading down #10 might've been better because there would be top WRs/EDGE available early in the 2nd round and we would be able to address another position with the extra pick. I'm happy things worked out the way that they did.

RB Breece Hall - It's historically bad to select the first RB in the draft. Only 9 of them have played on winning superbowl teams and more than half of those 9 did not play in the superbowl on the team that drafted them.

@Wahoo said about RBs in the draft: "Yep (RBs are kickers in terms of draft position). RB by committee, injuries and you can find em from rnd 5 to undrafted free agents. Burn & churn.

Few things worse can happen to a team than have a RB turn into a star so they get suckered into signing him to a 2nd contract."

Although I don't fully agree with him, he isn't that far off.

I'm not so worried about Hall since we made 3 1st round picks ahead of him and he was selected in the 2nd round. We won't be dedicating a lot of cap space to him and the Jets with Sauce, Wilson, and Johnson have less needs.

Day 3's selections are head scratchers:
Max Mitchell - I don't hate the pick but I don't particularly like it either. He's built for LT and not much more. The only way that I can see this pick as making any sense is if we're going to trade Fant.

Micheal Clemons - I'm not worried about his traffic stop bust. But we need friggin' LBs and I don't see him being converted.

This is JD's make-or-break year and it's very obvious that he's all-in. Unfortunately for him, next season's success will be highly dependent upon Zach Wilson making significant strides forward and the short passing game improving.

Rest of the NFL:
I was surprised that Stingley was selected ahead of Sauce.
I expected Kyle Hamilton to fall just because he's a safety.
The Chiefs and Bills traded up into the first round to select 2nd tier CBs?!?
I thought the entire NFL reached at WR. Maybe it's financially motivated (ie not wanting to pay past the rookie contract).
The NFL's consensus on Nakobe Dean is probably that he'll bust. Injury should not have pushed him all the way to the 3rd round if that weren't the case.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Reaction thread here is my two cents:

Sauce Gardner was clearly the No. 1 CB in this draft but because of the lapse after his injuries Derek Stingley Jr. is still an uniquely gifted cornerback with rare blend of size, speed and explosiveness that will have teams willing to judge his upside off of tape from two seasons ago. Stingley played in just 10 games over the last two years, offering flashes of his upside rather than sustained play. Stingley has the technical aspect of the game down whereas Sauce is still refining that aspect. Sauce is a long, lean and linear, physical while he's highly competitive with a confidence level that will be labeled as cocky by some evaluators. "Sauce" uses length and hand activity to impose his will on the release and stall the route on the tarmac. Staying connected to the route is a priority, which leads to grabbing when he feels it slipping away but that can be corrected by improving his footwork and trusting his technique. His movements lack fluidity, but he's urgent and aggravating in man-to-man, which could become a deterrent for NFL quarterbacks scanning to his side of the field if he can avoid a big spike in penalties as he adjusts to NFL officiating. Gardner has the traits and demeanor to become a highly effective CB1 within his first couple of seasons.

Garrett 'G Dub' Wilson's game is lacking in polish, but some scouts believe his play strength and run-after-catch ability make him a more valuable draft commodity than Ohio State teammate Chris Olave. He's a linear, inside/outside receiver with trouble eluding press cleanly and is very inefficient with routes over the first two levels. His long speed is good, but the acceleration burst is what makes him such an effective separator in space. He might not be smooth getting there, but he has eye-popping ball skills when it's time to go make a play. Wilson needs to work on his ability to consistently uncover on all three levels, but he has the traits to become a very good WR2 if he tightens up areas of concern.

Jermaine Johnson II is an ascending edge prospect. Johnson has NFL traits and the potential to keep getting bigger and better as a pro. He is a one-year full-time starter with an underdeveloped pass rush and occasional lapses in awareness, but both areas should be correctable with more coaching and game experience. He's more instinctive and consistent as a run defender, but his length and relentlessness are excellent building blocks for challenging protection. Johnson's blend of strength and athleticism should make him a firm edge-setter and playmaker near the line of scrimmage for odd or even fronts. He has the traits, athleticism and talent to project as a top-40 pick with a bright future.

Jets tried to climb back into the first round to pick 28 to jump in front of a team trying to climb to pick 29 to take RB Breece Hall, once they couldn't a sigh of relief when the Patriots got the pick instead to take Chattanooga IOL. Hall isn't very sudden in tight quarters but gets better as the run play progresses with good vision and an above-average sense for how to beat second-level tacklers. He has surprising build-up speed once he's in the open field but might not have the instant gas to become a plus outside runner. His running style is willful when it needs to be and he's adept at moving the chains on "got to have it" short-yardage carries. Hall has full-package, three-down talent with surprisingly soft hands out of the backfield and should find early touches as a Day 2 draft pick with above-average potential.

Jets Top 4 Selections
the next three were luxury picks as the team's focus was on these key positions: CB, WR, EDGE, RB were the positions of NEED

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Mind you Food For Thought: Jeremy Ruckert, Max Mitchell & Micheal Clemons might never been picked because picks 38, 101, 111, 117 & 146 were offered to Packers but they turned it down wanting a 2023 2nd round also then took UGA DT Devonte Wyatt.

Jets were trying to climb back into the first round for RB Breece Hall, who fell to the second round. Ultimately they had to leap frog pick 37 to Giants 36 to take the RB but at a lesser cost.