New York Jets 2022 NFL Draft Reaction Thread

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Unrelated to the pick, doesn't the Pats war room just seem old, formal, and tired compared to the videos of the Jets? Where is the energy? The personality?

It's fine to be stoic and emotionless when you can rely on the best QB ever. When you're swimming upstream to stay on the good side of .500, it comes across a lot differently.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Unrelated to the pick, doesn't the Pats war room just seem old, formal, and tired compared to the videos of the Jets? Where is the energy? The personality?

It's fine to be stoic and emotionless when you can rely on the best QB ever. When you're swimming upstream to stay on the good side of .500, it comes across a lot differently.
they are now in Houston, Tennessee, and Palooza

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Seeing your HC be afraid of your own QB.........I'm still not sold Mack Jones is any better than a game manager. Big test for him this year. Long run, I see Zach zip right by him. Jones came in more prepared by his college than Zach was his - now at this level, the talent will show.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Seeing your HC be afraid of your own QB.........I'm still not sold Mack Jones is any better than a game manager. Big test for him this year. Long run, I see Zach zip right by him. Jones came in more prepared by his college than Zach was his - now at this level, the talent will show.

Jones has proven exactly what he is. High floor, low ceiling. Great in that system when he is surrounded by a lot of great players, like Brady was early in his career. Not so great when he is expected to do more, which he will be on that team.

It's no accident that while the league has been singing Jones' praises for winning games when he threw four passes, the Pats took a QB in a QB-poor draft.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Jones has proven exactly what he is. High floor, low ceiling. Great in that system when he is surrounded by a lot of great players, like Brady was early in his career. Not so great when he is expected to do more, which he will be on that team.

It's no accident that while the league has been singing Jones' praises for winning games when he threw four passes, the Pats took a QB in a QB-poor draft.
nice assessment all around, but the Pats normally take a QB. it's actually smart as it normally turns into added draft capital.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
yeah. I'm not counting belichick out just yet. still don't believe brady is brady without the team belichick put around him. and sorry, but brady may be boss now, but he has a darn solid team around him yet again. hand picked by him

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
yeah. I'm not counting belichick out just yet. still don't believe brady is brady without the team belichick put around him. and sorry, but brady may be boss now, but he has a darn solid team around him yet again. hand picked by him

he isn't out yet, but it feels different.

i agree with you on Brady too. TB12 was protected from having to win games unlike any QB to win an early SB save Ben Roethlisberger.
and Beli only piled more on as he could take it.

but i think, and this hurts like a bitch to say, TB12 eventually took over because he was just that good.... it's akin to paying off a mortgage; at some point, there is a flip to where you're paying more principle than interest.

TBH, i bet he's out in less than 3 years.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
he isn't out yet, but it feels different.

i agree with you on Brady too. TB12 was protected from having to win games unlike any QB to win an early SB save Ben Roethlisberger.
and Beli only piled more on as he could take it.

but i think, and this hurts like a bitch to say, TB12 eventually took over because he was just that good.... it's akin to paying off a mortgage; at some point, there is a flip to where you're paying more principle than interest.

TBH, i bet he's out in less than 3 years.
it does feel different. because nobody believes in belichick anymore because brady won a superbowl first even if it was with a much, much better team. then lets not forget what the afc east was while brady was there- 6 easy wins. and what the rest of the afc was. Peyton vs. belichic was almost a sure thing every year. kinda like bradys nfc now right? does anyone doubt tampa is playing in the championship game this year?

I don't know if brady replaced belichick because brady is so good or just because of what I said earlier here, the phycological aspect of the game. brady is qb, you believe you will win. same with belichick, but the patriots were lacking talent badly the year brady left and that's why he left. then covid decimated the patriots with guys sitting iut the year while tompabay lost no one

I will always argue, brady without belichick is nobody. belichick without brady still wins some superbowls. I'll just use Stafford as a single arguement here. on Detroit, wins nothing for years. on a good Rams team, in one season, not only wins the superbowl, but beats bradys all star team twice along the way.

what if brady were drafted by detroit 25 years ago? we'll never know what would have happened, but I have a good guess

which one is out in less then 3 years? I bet belichick wants to win one without brady, and that will be much harder now given the talent in the afc. belichick may be around a long time trying. brady will play until someone hits him really, really hard. that hasn't happened since he played the Giants in the superbowl and with the brady rules in place, it may never happen again. I see him playing in a wheel chair and still winning the superbowl

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Pats normally take a QB
yep they drafted two this year. must not have high expectations for Mac Jones or they are trying to recreate a Julian Edleman in D'Eriq King from Miami?

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Perspective is lacking for some people because they’re impatient due to the long playoff drought. I believe we’ve improved this team by 4-6 wins with this off season. That my expectation. And if it’s within that range, I’m good with it. We’re probably not a serious contender in the AFC until 2023 if everything goes according to plan.

Buffalo and Kansas City are still at the top. And that’s a tall mountain to climb for teams looking up. Cleveland with Watson is gonna be tough. The Chargers are really good. Denver with Russell Wilson now. This is gonna be a tough conference for a while.
I’m just glad that neither Cheats or Fins were mentioned in your post 👏

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
it does feel different. because nobody believes in belichick anymore because brady won a superbowl first even if it was with a much, much better team. then lets not forget what the afc east was while brady was there- 6 easy wins. and what the rest of the afc was. Peyton vs. belichic was almost a sure thing every year. kinda like bradys nfc now right? does anyone doubt tampa is playing in the championship game this year?

I don't know if brady replaced belichick because brady is so good or just because of what I said earlier here, the phycological aspect of the game. brady is qb, you believe you will win. same with belichick, but the patriots were lacking talent badly the year brady left and that's why he left. then covid decimated the patriots with guys sitting iut the year while tompabay lost no one

I will always argue, brady without belichick is nobody. belichick without brady still wins some superbowls. I'll just use Stafford as a single arguement here. on Detroit, wins nothing for years. on a good Rams team, in one season, not only wins the superbowl, but beats bradys all star team twice along the way.

what if brady were drafted by detroit 25 years ago? we'll never know what would have happened, but I have a good guess

which one is out in less then 3 years? I bet belichick wants to win one without brady, and that will be much harder now given the talent in the afc. belichick may be around a long time trying. brady will play until someone hits him really, really hard. that hasn't happened since he played the Giants in the superbowl and with the brady rules in place, it may never happen again. I see him playing in a wheel chair and still winning the superbowl
Great post.

IMO... Brady drafted to another team might not even make a roster. Beli uses his offense with an efficient QB and wins SB's regardless of who is there with a loaded defense; which is also his. But there did seem to be a point where Brady expanded Beli's role of a QB which allowed them to win with lesser talent. Keep in mind, with the Pats, Brady didn't win SB's with a loaded offense...The Gmen snuffed him twice.

IMO 2.0... Brady is done after this year. he said a while ago 45 was the magic number. This is it. Kraft, out of respect, hasn't made glaring public overtures, but has publicly lamented that he noticed when NE didn't made the PO's and then got whacked last year. I think Beli is on a short leash. Kraft is seeing a new era in the league and Beli might not make if things don't turn around quickly. I wonder if he gets "Landry'd" sooner than later?

talking about this particular rival with you is a lot of fun.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I’m just glad that neither Cheats or Fins were mentioned in your post 👏

Everyone’s hyping up Mac Jones as the next great thing in NE, but I don’t see anything special there. Yes, NE stole our lunch money last year in that 54-13 beat down, but I don’t foresee that kind of game anymore with the Patriots. The Dolphins are pretty solid all around, but Tua doesn’t scare me either. Zach Wilson’s ceiling is so much higher than both of them IMO. And the Jets improved themselves the most this off season. Tyreek Hill was a big pickup for Miami, and they’re scary with him and Waddle. But overall, the Jets improved at more positions as a team. They can compete with anyone on offense now, at least on paper.

Of course, all that matters is what happens on game day. That’s where we’ll find the truth.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Everyone’s hyping up Mac Jones as the next great thing in NE, but I don’t see anything special there. Yes, NE stole our lunch money last year in that 54-13 beat down, but I don’t foresee that kind of game anymore with the Patriots. The Dolphins are pretty solid all around, but Tua doesn’t scare me either. Zach Wilson’s ceiling is so much higher than both of them IMO. And the Jets improved themselves the most this off season. Tyreek Hill was a big pickup for Miami, and they’re scary with him and Waddle. But overall, the Jets improved at more positions as a team. They can compete with anyone on offense now, at least on paper.

Of course, all that matters is what happens on game day. That’s where we’ll find the truth.

the other 3 teams in this division are going to go into this year still circling our games as a win.

The Fish beefed up their Offense in a big way... emphasis on big; as in Oline. Hill & Waddle are going to be tough.
But we beefed up our secondary in a big way too.

I agree with you on the Pats, and Mac. The only thing that gives me pause on taking pleasure about their decline is they seem to be invested in getting their running game going again... that is when i fear them most. They quietly picked a sledge hammer last year in Rhamondre Stevenson + they still have their fast back.
They aren't asking Mac to win a thing, so when D's start keying in on their running game, it elevates his game.

But the fun and exciting grudge matches we'll have is the Bills. we're closer to them than experts will give us credit for being, but they know it... and us hanging in games is going to wear on their smug @$$es to the point where i see some brawls this season. funny how that happens when a team is used to beating up another, and the latter has had enough of the former's $h!t.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Just want to put this out there for those who don't know. The saying right now the last three picks for the Jets were this:
Jeremy Ruckert - Fan Pick
Max Mitchell - JD Pick
Micheal Clemons - Saleh Pick

in reality Jeremy Ruckert was our Senior Bowl Head Coach Ron Middleton pick. He said we needed him on our roster to learn and develop behind our two signed veterans. He has the athleticism with catch radius that is unmatched by his production but his understanding football IQ, technique might be slopping but with us he can refine that contact balance. In three years he could be TE1, There is already notion that even though fans have him higher he will likely start as TE4 his rookie season.

for Max Mitchell, he was a find by specific people but Nolan got the credit. Think Conor McDermott type tackle with a better upside because of his in space run blocking ability. Has good potential who could in year two be the starting right tackle. Max has what Joe Douglas likes but far from his pick.

And finally Clemons could be considered a Saleh pick but in reality he was Whitecotton's find after watching tape on DeMarvin Leal. Whitecotton insisted on durability security for both Lawson and Huff who we hope will come back 100% for the season but as we know that is a big 'IF' they stay healthy for the entire season. Since we like to use a heavy rotation was a smart pickup for depth.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Mitchell was mostly a Chris Nolan pick. Not enough can be said about the job the Jets scouting department did. This draft has Alonzo Dotson's and Chris Nolan's fingerprints all over it. Really, the whole scouting department hit a home run.

This bodes VERY well for the future of the franchise.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
And finally Clemons could be considered a Saleh pick but in reality he was Whitecotton's find after watching tape on DeMarvin Leal. Whitecotton insisted on durability security for both Lawson and Huff who we hope will come back 100% for the season but as we know that is a big 'IF' they stay healthy for the entire season. Since we like to use a heavy rotation was a smart pickup for depth.

he put up comparable numbers up on a weaker team in the SEC to Thibs's numbers on a PAC 12 Team.
when Aiden called Thibs out on that, my ears perked up.

setting edges and power rushing passers are what Saleh says his linemen are supposed to do. if that's the case, this guy is plugging and playing very quickly. he is a home wrecker.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
he put up comparable numbers up on a weaker team in the SEC to Thibs's numbers on a PAC 12 Team.

setting edges and power rushing passers are what Saleh says his linemen are supposed to do. if that's the case, this guy is plugging and playing very quickly. he is a home wrecker.
Sounds as though with both JJ and Clemons on board, FA, plus the hoped for health of Lawson and Huff, we likely won’t see JFM on the outside.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

Clemons think of a discount Preston Smith

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Sounds as though with both JJ and Clemons on board, FA, plus the hoped for health of Lawson and Huff, we likely won’t see JFM on the outside.

which is fantastic, because when it's the bottom of the 9th, there's only 2 seconds left in the third period, and we need a 3 pointer to force match point, i want JFM at defensive tackle so he could sink that 10 foot uphill penalty kick.

in short, he's better at DT than DE, right?