New York Jets 2022 NFL Draft Reaction Thread

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
That's simply not true. Some take longer, some take less time.

And your example is an outlier.
prospects in general all need time
some take time to adjust
are given at least three years to produce
every player, every position needs time so the average is three years for everyone no matter which position.
I stated all prospects in general need time
some need time to adjust to the level of competition
most are given that three year window
and it is not regulated to anyone position or prospect regardless of where they come from.
no problem I see you read and reacted to what you think I said but in reality all college players don't become a Super Star in the NFL over night some need to be developed, some need to be polished and other need to be rained in because they believe their own hype then reality sets in.

cheaterhater

I've Lost My Fucking Mind
Superior Ass
Jets Global
"other need to be rained in because they believe their own hype then reality sets in."

good point

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics

I have to agree here. If the player has potential and the right skill set he gets a shot and is expected to do the work, learn the system, the playbook, get to know his team mates and coaches etc. That in mind, as long as he works hard, I'm not going to tell him to shit or get off the pot until he has had a reasonable period of time to accomplish those things which most front offices consider around three years. Once in awhile their are exceptions where some take off right away and others obviously just aren't going to cut it, but those are exceptions.

Retired AFA

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
If the injury bug hits the Jets hard again to key players next year and we finish 5 - 12. Do you consider JD a bad GM and put him on the Hot Seat?

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I just hope that if this draft does indeed continue to be hyped, it will not raise expectations too high. This is still an EXTREMELY young team. The core of the roster came from the past two drafts. Unrealistic expectations for this season because of this draft will only hurt the team.

The 2022 season will be a lot like the 2021, where the emphasis is on player development. They should be more competitive than in 2021, but this is still a long process. Let it play out.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
And I don't agree with that. Players near the top of the draft need less time then players towards the bottom of the draft. Players from bigger programs need less time than players from weaker programs. QBs tend to need more time than players in other positions.

But this digression is not even the point.

The point that is being challenged is that if the Jets have 3 lackluster seasons then JD will likely be shown the door. This statement shouldn't be controversial and I'd be willing to bet that JD himself would agree with me. But believe it or not, there are some on this forum who feel that turning a 7-9 team into let's say a 11-39 team is progress.
Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold................................top of the draft, cream of the crop. where are they now ? Every player being picked needs to make adjustments of some sort no matter how high or low they were picked and yes I agree some do it quickly and some don't but being picked at the top is no guarantee that they will.

Last edited:

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If the injury bug hits the Jets hard again to key players next year and we finish 5 - 12. Do you consider JD a bad GM and put him on the Hot Seat?
no, if the underline of injuries occur then how can you criticize Joe Douglas for things that happen in the NFL? he is only on the hot seat if his picks do not pan out or the team from coaching to the locker room are a complete mess.

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
I just hope that if this draft does indeed continue to be hyped, it will not raise expectations too high. This is still an EXTREMELY young team. The core of the roster came from the past two drafts. Unrealistic expectations for this season because of this draft will only hurt the team.

The 2022 season will be a lot like the 2021, where the emphasis is on player development. They should be more competitive than in 2021, but this is still a long process. Let it play out.
true. and like I have been saying for the past few years, we need to win some early so we have confidence to build on. we can't open 0-4. the schedule better not shaft us with 4 playoff teams out of the gate

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
true. and like I have been saying for the past few years, we need to win some early so we have confidence to build on. we can't open 0-4. the schedule better not shaft us with 4 playoff teams out of the gate

Not sure, but, I do believe that we have the 2nd toughest schedule again this season'

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
no, if the underline of injuries occur then how can you criticize Joe Douglas for things that happen in the NFL? he is only on the hot seat if his picks do not pan out or the team from coaching to the locker room are a complete mess.
and the signs have been there that this staff is not a hot mess.........people around the league took notice how they did not fold tent late in the season - Terry Bradshaw in particular was giving praise for how they competed in that Tampa game......and you heard peeps at the Senior Bowl remark how well the Jets staff handled the week.....and unless you're blind, we all could see our OC develop as the season went along. It would take lobotomies for the staff to regress that bad.

Seaver41

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Not sure, but, I do believe that we have the 2nd toughest schedule again this season'
it's no cake walk....the schedule will be a year to year thing in the tightly packed AFC........and a good reason why teams switch out year after year.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
and the signs have been there that this staff is not a hot mess.........people around the league took notice how they did not fold tent late in the season - Terry Bradshaw in particular was giving praise for how they competed in that Tampa game......and you heard peeps at the Senior Bowl remark how well the Jets staff handled the week.....and unless you're blind, we all could see our OC develop as the season went along. It would take lobotomies for the staff to regress that bad.
don't forget about ESPN Rex Ryan situation. One day Rex is criticizing Saleh then the next day is openly apologizing on camera and saying he bought in to what he is preaching and is a fan. End of the day this is a salute to Head Coach Saleh but a reinsurance that Joe Douglas hired the right person.

Gramoah

Retired but not Tired
Jet Fanatics
don't forget about ESPN Rex Ryan situation. One day Rex is criticizing Saleh then the next day is openly apologizing on camera and saying he bought in to what he is preaching and is a fan. End of the day this is a salute to Head Coach Saleh but a reinsurance that Joe Douglas hired the right person.

I remember that.

cheaterhater

Superior Ass
Jets Global
I also heard that. had hoped that I miss heard it. at least if it starts out easy and ends hard, that works to our favor. we have had the opposite past few years

and brady will have a bottom 3 schedule just like every year

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

This shows the difference between Bills fans and Pats fans. Bills fans are pissed that the Jets took a good player.

Pats fans wait until they see who drafts a player, then formulate their opinions. Sauce, Hall, all those Jets picks suck. Cole Strange is the next Logan Mankins.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Cole Strange is the next Logan Mankins
In Bill we trust?

Depending on how you answer that question, the New England Patriots either discovered gold in the next Logan Mankins or wasted precious resources on the next Ted Karras.

The selection of Chattanooga's Cole Strange was the most controversial pick during Day 1 of the NFL Draft. It prompted criticism from fans and even mock ridicule from the Los Angeles Rams, who scoffed that they thought the player New England took at No. 29 would have been available at No. 104.

It's not that the Patriots selected Strange, but more so when they picked him.

No one is suggesting Strange can't play at this level, despite making 44 starts at a small college previously known only for spawning a receiver named Terrell Owens. In fact, Strange is a perfect fit at One Patriot Place. Physically gifted. Tough. Smart. Culture character. And, yes, fills the immediate need for a starting left guard.

One of the few analysts that crowed over the pick, ESPN's Louis Riddick lauded Strange for being "an old-school, hard-nosed football player who doesn't wear gloves and still sports the T crossbar facemask."

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global