Run it back with Sam Darnold

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
For two straight offseasons, the New York Jets enjoyed the unusual luxury (for them) of not having to worry about the quarterback position. Sam Darnold was their guy, and there was every reason to believe he would be the guy for a long time.

Then the 2020 NFL season happened. Darnold played poorly. He got hurt. The team stunk. The coach got fired. Now, with multiple avenues with which to improve the position, Jets officials are refusing to commit to Darnold as their starter for 2021. We still love you, Sam, but ...

"To give you that answer right now would not be fair," Jets coach Robert Saleh said at his introductory news conference. "There's a lot of discussions that need to be had with Joe [Douglas] and his staff."

Douglas, the general manager, has three months to resolve the most vexing issue facing the organization. In a vacuum, the Darnold decision would be tough enough, but it's complicated by what could be the wildest offseason for quarterback movement in recent memory.

Pros: He's still young (turns 24 in June) and still hasn't had the benefit of playing with a strong supporting cast. In three seasons, Darnold has had virtually no running game. Saleh has spoken highly of Darnold, and he's not blowing smoke. He believes there's untapped potential that can be extracted with better coaching and a scheme change. Darnold would be a good fit in LaFleur's quarterback-friendly system, which uses play-action, misdirection and moving pockets.

Cons: Darnold still isn't adept at reading defenses; he gets into trouble because he sometimes doesn't see beyond his No. 1 read and the primary defender. No doubt, he has room to grow, but recent history tells us it's rare for quarterbacks to make a quantum leap after three or four years in the league. Darnold was the lowest-rated passer in 2020 (72.7). Let's say he improves to the 15-20 range. Can the Jets live with that? Is that worth the long-term contract extension he would seek after the '21 season? There's also a durability question; he has missed 10 games in three years because of injury and illness.

Cap impact: He has one year remaining on his rookie contract ($9.8 million cap charge). The Jets have until early May to make a decision on his fifth-year option for 2022 (about $25 million, fully guaranteed). It makes little sense to make that kind of commitment based on his body of work, so we're probably talking about a one-year audition in 2021. If he sputters, he probably walks as a free agent, and the Jets will have to package their two first-round picks in 2022 to find a replacement. If Darnold excels, it means a lucrative new deal.

Eye-popping stat: Darnold recorded the fifth-highest completion percentage (92.3) when under no pressure and throwing to wide-open receivers (at least 3 yards separation), per NFL Next Gen Stats. That's what you call optimal conditions.

The good, the bad and the ugly is Sam Darnold but the potential is still there if the right coaching staff surrounds him. Finally it seems that the right staff, scheme and now is to build the players to fulfil this plan and let him continue to build the chemistry and continuity with his team mates, to start all over again should not be choice unless it is a last resort. Draft capitol, cap space and a full competent front office with the right structure in place should make Jets fans happy and gitty but like normal they are ready to throw in the towel to start all over again from scratch. Thank goodness Sam Darnold doesn't surf social media he would crumble from all the negative reports on him and how they don't support him.

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
i was going to make a thread about why i was all in with Darnold for the 2021 season and then i saw this . You ended your post with that dirty word "potential" which basically means GM and coach killer. The only difference here is both these guys are pretty safe considering how JD did with his 1st draft and the fact that the HC is going into his 1st year .
That being said, i would like to trade down from pick 2 and not once but twice . I would like to trade down with the Bengals at 5 and then again with someone within the top 12 . I'm targeting Kyle Trash this year but more importantly i want enough draft capitol in 2022 to go after the top pick in the draft depending on prospect availability .

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I would like to trade down with the Bengals
connections are important how bout trading down with the Eagles at 6, Joe Douglas has that connection and could rape them:
6, 38, 70 & 1st, 2nd 2022 using the Bengals as leverage because both teams are looking at Penei Sewell...

the other trade down could be at 9 with the Broncos but using the connection theme, 49ers at 12 connected with Saleh who will want to move up to 6 to get a QB or whatever...

49ers could also turn around and give up:
12th & 43
1st and 2nd 2022

would give JD enough fire power to do whatever he wants, I mean:

12, 23, 34, 38, 43, 66, 70 would give the team enough building blocks to compete this year...
not to mention the rest of our picks this year...

at 12 TE Kyle Pitts may still be in play which would give a real safety net and building block for Darnold...

Tinstar

Mr. Know it All
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
connections are important how bout trading down with the Eagles at 6, Joe Douglas has that connection and could rape them:
6, 38, 70 & 1st, 2nd 2022 using the Bengals as leverage because both teams are looking at Penei Sewell...

the other trade down could be at 9 with the Broncos but using the connection theme, 49ers at 12 connected with Saleh who will want to move up to 6 to get a QB or whatever...

49ers could also turn around and give up:
12th & 43
1st and 2nd 2022

would give JD enough fire power to do whatever he wants, I mean:

12, 23, 34, 38, 43, 66, 70 would give the team enough building blocks to compete this year...
not to mention the rest of our picks this year...

at 12 TE Kyle Pitts may still be in play which would give a real safety net and building block for Darnold...
It's funny but i prefer the TE from Penn State

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
It's funny but i prefer the TE from Penn State
haha, in this mock draft I did on pff/mock I drafted 3 TEs

MIQ1cYP.png

Eagles gave up 6th, 38, 70 plus 2022 1st & 2nd
Broncos gave up 9th, 41st plus 2022 2nd

utilizing draft capitol was able to gain more picks and move around in the back end of the draft filling needs but completing the offense with talent (starters) and potential players...

2022 Draft Capitol ended up with 3 1sts & 4 2nds along with 3 3rds plus other day 3 picks

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
needs after free agency players like Keanu Neal former team mate at Florida with Marcus Maye that we all believe will be back, Jeff Ulbrich will likely try to get Neal in house there are our starting safeties, Ashtyn Davis under contract and Arthur Maulet would be an affordable re-signing and solid depth completing the need at safety...

only getting one EDGE people be like why not target a higher ranked one because we have 3 in house under contract and like Neal, JD has connections to two veterans he may bring in free agency not to mention we have a few UFAs that we may re-sign so as much as it seems as need not really... taking one in Patrick Jones II out of Pittsburgh has all the ability for speed rusher while can develop speed to power ability...

same goes for corner we need one solid corner so we have a rotation of four on the outside with both Bless Austin and Bryce Hall under contract and possibility both are the starters... Up in the air is Brian Poole but last year's rookie free agent Javelin Guidry proved he belongs in the NFL and could be the new starter in the nickel...

like all the positions on defense the d line is stacked, if we make a move would be to trade/release Henry Anderson would open a door maybe unless we convert to 4-3 defense then there is no need as we are stacked with 3-4 OLBs that would convert to 4-3 DEs...

Frankie Luvu, CJ Mosley and Blake Cashman are under contract, Neville Hewitt and Harvey Langi have earned a new contract but will they get it... There are other players signed to future contracts that will be here to compete and we could see a free agent signing or two...

That is why that draft is in the title: Run it back with Sam Darnold adding to the offense, can keep Chris Herndon or trade him, drafting three tight ends that all have different roles on the offense in the new scheme that LaFleur is going to adapt... Drafting a RB that will give a different gear in the backfield and not forgetting to bolster the offensive line with a RT & Center that can start day one... Trey Smith has potential but could be a health risk... Did not forget to get a play maker wide receiver in Toney from Florida can be the slot guy or outside has the speed and quickness to make a difference but would compliment Denzel Mims and whatever FA we sign...

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
haha, in this mock draft I did on pff/mock I drafted 3 TEs

MIQ1cYP.png

Eagles gave up 6th, 38, 70 plus 2022 1st & 2nd
Broncos gave up 9th, 41st plus 2022 2nd

utilizing draft capitol was able to gain more picks and move around in the back end of the draft filling needs but completing the offense with talent (starters) and potential players...

2022 Draft Capitol ended up with 3 1sts & 4 2nds along with 3 3rds plus other day 3 picks
Love this mock draft but a bit unrealistic IMO. Do you really think N. Harris will still be there by pick #66? That would great but I doubt that. Also Leatherwood going in the second round, you don’t see him as a late first rounder?

Last edited:

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
What I’m not really good with at all is the Jets sticking with Darnold but if that’s what they choose to do I’ll trust in them and hopefully it works. I can definitely see Joe D and Saleh wanting to give Darnold this last year to show and prove he can improve and become a franchise QB. Whether they trade down or draft someone at #2 and build around Darnold he has to improve SIGNIFICANTLY this year to make me a believer.

I would need to see stats somewhere in the range of 3200-3500 yards at least, 65% completion percentage, 25 TDs (can be running and throwing), to no more than 10 ints. I would also need to see him be more of a leader of the team, especially the offense, creating these stats mainly from the pocket. Reading defenses, making the right decision and picking them apart and only running/emphasizing when he absolutely has to.

This to me will show true growth, leadership and him showing franchise QB qualities. The team record would probably be a 7-9/9-7 record. Can he do this, I don’t know but under this coaching staff and Joe D building a true team around him correctly anything is possible. I trust in the CS and Joe D. Let me say that I would rather the Jets trade reasonable for Watson or trade down and draft J. Fields than run this back with Darnold.

gmf1369

Jack of All Trades
Big Fish
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Love this mock draft but a bit unrealistic IMO. Do you really think N. Harris will still be there by pick #66? That would great but I doubt that. Also Leatherwood going in the second round, you don’t see him as a late first rounder?
Leatherwood is one of those players mocked as early as 22 but realistically he is a 2nd round pick...

as for Najee Harris he is mocked as a late 2nd early 3rd round selection...

for both of these guys a strong combine would of boosted their stocks not sure what type of combine they will have though...
pro day workouts also will boost their stocks but there are players that were solid round 2 prospects vaulting up as late ones so some have to fall same goes for second round...

also have to remember their big board is what I was using in the mock...
also would of traded 23 if there were offers then with another 2nd would of taken Harris there and not getting Toney would of drafted Sage Surratt around the mid to late third, we need only one receiver in this draft with good route running ability, we have catch radius with Mims and likely sign a FA that has play making ability...

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
What I’m not really good with at all is the Jets sticking with Darnold but if that’s what they choose to do I’ll trust in them and hopefully it works. I can definitely see Joe D and Saleh wanting to give Darnold this last year to show and prove he can improve and become a franchise QB. Whether they trade down or draft someone at #2 and build around Darnold he has to improve SIGNIFICANTLY this year to make me a believer.

I would need to see stats somewhere in the range of 3200-3500 yards at least, 65% completion percentage, 25 TDs (can be running and throwing), to no more than 10 ints. I would also need to see him be more of a leader of the team, especially the offense, creating these stats mainly from the pocket. Reading defenses, making the right decision and picking them apart and only running/emphasizing when he absolutely has to.

This to me will show true growth, leadership and him showing franchise QB qualities. The team record would probably be a 7-9/9-7 record. Can he do this, I don’t know but under this coaching staff and Joe D building a true team around him correctly anything is possible. I trust in the CS and Joe D. Let me say that I would rather the Jets trade reasonable for Watson or trade down and draft J. Fields than run this back with Darnold.
I would to see Elvis alive again & three beautiful girls in my bed & a case of good whiskey left on my door step........but what you are asking for is way too much. LOL No all kidding aside If we keep him i agree

Fudbutter

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Well the Jets are not going to win for quite some time so sticking with Darnold may make some sense in that you build the line, the D and skill positions then get a QB who will have a) time to throw, b) someone to throw to and c) a running game to bring the safeties into the box.

Besides, as Darnold just keeps playing the same, it'll give this fanbase lots of angry thread fodder they seem to thrive on :)

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
Well the Jets are not going to win for quite some time so sticking with Darnold may make some sense in that you build the line, the D and skill positions then get a QB who will have a) time to throw, b) someone to throw to and c) a running game to bring the safeties into the box.

Besides, as Darnold just keeps playing the same, it'll give this fanbase lots of angry thread fodder they seem to thrive on :)
the problem is if we build a good team first we should win a few games which makes drafting a qb that much harder....

butterscotch

Jester Jet
Jets Global
When you are in the desert without water the worst thing you can do is swallow down too much water when you get to it. Do you have the jets drafting 3 TE'S after all these years with no TE'S WE will drown. We need a qb