Around The NFL

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I think you're reading way too much into it. Supposedly, the team wanted to take care of pressing matters first(free agency and the draft) then deal with Mo. Also, I think Mo is more valuable than Suh and in Bowles' attack defense, his sack numbers will grow. Suh and Mo each have one double digit sack season and Suh has been playing in a defense that allows it's lineman to attack the qb rather than tie up blockers. Both are beasts against the run. Wilkerson has been the #2 ranked 3-4 lineman behind Watt for the past three years. He's going to get paid.

You are not comparing apple to apple here. Suh is a 4-3 DT and should have less sacks than Wilkerson 3-4 DE.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You are not comparing apple to apple here. Suh is a 4-3 DT and should have less sacks than Wilkerson 3-4 DE.

Go Jets...Cyborg

You sure about that? 3-4 ends don't get a lot of sacks. Suh is being paid as if he were Warren Sapp. Sapp got double digit sacks. 4-3 ends get a lot of sacks, but not 3-4 ends(not named Watt).

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
You sure about that? 3-4 ends don't get a lot of sacks. Suh is being paid as if he were Warren Sapp. Sapp got double digit sacks. 4-3 ends get a lot of sacks, but not 3-4 ends(not named Watt).

Well, Sapp isn't really like either of them. Sapp is a rare special creature. He was only 6'2 300lbs and ran a 4.69 40. if you had to compare Sapp to any of them, it would be Sheldon who plays at 290-295...but Richardson, Suh, and Wilkerson all ran 4.96-4.98 40s...nothing close to the speed and agility of Sapp.

Wilkerson is 10-15 lbs heavier than Suh...if we played 4-3, they would likely play the same position. Wilkerson plays at 310-315. Suh is 6'4 and plays at 300-305. Suh and Richardson are closer to the same size (I actually believe Sheldon plays at 290-295, he's listed at 294).

Just because of Sapp's rare freakish athletic ability, its hard to compare anyone to him, IMO.

truth is, Wilkerson doing what he does at 315lbs is pretty amazing, IMO. Suh doesn't perform at the level of Wilkerson despite playing 10-15 lbs lighter.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Sorry, agree 3-4 DEs dont get sacks; technically, its not their jobs, right? The point of a 3-4 is to showcase your LBs and the dline should takeup blockers to keep them off the LBs. Wilkerson, like Shaun Ellis back in the day, is a special player that can do both. Finding 2 guys who can do that, Wilkerson and Richardson is very rare. I cant think of many teams in history of the NFL that had 2 3-4 Des that can get double digit sacks (not that richardson has, he hasnt, but he has the potential, IMO).

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
If you guy's look @ tape, we called it a 3-4, but if you noticed Coples had his hand in the dirt 3/4 of the time with Wilkerson as the other DE.

Go Jets...Cyborg

J

Jet Setter

Well, Sapp isn't really like either of them. Sapp is a rare special creature. He was only 6'2 300lbs and ran a 4.69 40. if you had to compare Sapp to any of them, it would be Sheldon who plays at 290-295...but Richardson, Suh, and Wilkerson all ran 4.96-4.98 40s...nothing close to the speed and agility of Sapp.

Wilkerson is 10-15 lbs heavier than Suh...if we played 4-3, they would likely play the same position. Wilkerson plays at 310-315. Suh is 6'4 and plays at 300-305. Suh and Richardson are closer to the same size (I actually believe Sheldon plays at 290-295, he's listed at 294).

Just because of Sapp's rare freakish athletic ability, its hard to compare anyone to him, IMO.

truth is, Wilkerson doing what he does at 315lbs is pretty amazing, IMO. Suh doesn't perform at the level of Wilkerson despite playing 10-15 lbs lighter.

Great comparison of Sapp. I wouldn't sell Suh short however in your last sentence. He's extremely disruptive commanding double teams and still makes plays. I'm not getting into an argument over Wilk being somehow better than Suh. I don't think that's real close and of course, no way to prove such opinions. Why bother.

J

Jet Setter

Sorry, agree 3-4 DEs dont get sacks; technically, its not their jobs, right? The point of a 3-4 is to showcase your LBs and the dline should takeup blockers to keep them off the LBs. Wilkerson, like Shaun Ellis back in the day, is a special player that can do both. Finding 2 guys who can do that, Wilkerson and Richardson is very rare. I cant think of many teams in history of the NFL that had 2 3-4 Des that can get double digit sacks (not that richardson has, he hasnt, but he has the potential, IMO).

Right again. Many posters here are looking at the sack numbers of 3-4 DE's but they generally are asked to seal the corner and provide a push and collapse the pocket while the OLB's clean up.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This should be fun to watch.

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 2h2 hours ago

Year after trading 1st rounder for Watkins. RT @ProFootballTalk: Rex Ryan: Bills will run 50 times a game if we can http://wp.me/p14QSB-9JI8

Rex in Buffalo never made sense. They had a great D and were investing in passing game. So they hire D coach who wants to run it 500 times.

But by all means, give Clay and Harvin nearly $30M in guarantees after drafting Watkins and Woods. And run it 500 times in passing league.

And if the Bills want to run it 50 times a game, maybe invest in OL in free agency instead of skill position players. IDK. That's just me.

Go ahead and recreate the 2009 Jets which needed Curtis Painter and Jim Caldwell just to make the playoffs at 9-7.

The issue with the Rex hire is simple. The Bills spent a ton of previous capital investing in passing game. Now they have a HC who sees

the passing game as the thing you use in between 4 runs and 1 wildcat snap. Just feels like those two things will eventually clash.

I'm not saying the Bills are going to be a 6-win team. But don't think there's a lot of long-term planning here. Short burn. @716SportsGuy

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Great comparison of Sapp. I wouldn't sell Suh short however in your last sentence. He's extremely disruptive commanding double teams and still makes plays. I'm not getting into an argument over Wilk being somehow better than Suh. I don't think that's real close and of course, no way to prove such opinions. Why bother.

Hey - I agree with you. It is so hard to compare DTs across the league. I gues swhat I meant is Wilkerson is a huge dude at 6'4 and 315 to hold up against the run but remains explosive enough to be a 10-11 sack a year player. Most DTs (not all obviously) that want to be explosive like Sapp play closer to Sapp's weight, like Richardson, Suh, and Watt (who is only 285)...the fact Wilkerson gets more sacks a year than Suh at 315 is impressive (at least to me). That's what is frustrating when people say they dont view Wilkerson at the level of Dez Bryant, Suh, or Justin Houston...I find Wilkerson just as special, especially for what he does at his size and build. I think he's just as special...but maybe I am bias, what he did against my Nittany Lions in back to back years was special in college, and watching him weekly is a treat as a Jets fan. I wouldnt want to lose him for many other defensive players...and I wouldnt trade him for Suh. No way.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This should be fun to watch.

Year after trading 1st rounder for Watkins. RT @ProFootballTalk: Rex Ryan: Bills will run 50 times a game if we can http://wp.me/p14QSB-9JI8

Rex in Buffalo never made sense. They had a great D and were investing in passing game. So they hire D coach who wants to run it 500 times.

But by all means, give Clay and Harvin nearly $30M in guarantees after drafting Watkins and Woods. And run it 500 times in passing league.

And if the Bills want to run it 50 times a game, maybe invest in OL in free agency instead of skill position players. IDK. That's just me.

Go ahead and recreate the 2009 Jets which needed Curtis Painter and Jim Caldwell just to make the playoffs at 9-7.

The issue with the Rex hire is simple. The Bills spent a ton of previous capital investing in passing game. Now they have a HC who sees

the passing game as the thing you use in between 4 runs and 1 wildcat snap. Just feels like those two things will eventually clash.

I'm not saying the Bills are going to be a 6-win team. But don't think there's a lot of long-term planning here. Short burn. @716SportsGuy

Lets hope so, because outside of QB, they're roster is stacked. I actually think on paper you could put them name to name with anyone.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Hey - I agree with you. It is so hard to compare DTs across the league. I gues swhat I meant is Wilkerson is a huge dude at 6'4 and 315 to hold up against the run but remains explosive enough to be a 10-11 sack a year player. Most DTs (not all obviously) that want to be explosive like Sapp play closer to Sapp's weight, like Richardson, Suh, and Watt (who is only 285)...the fact Wilkerson gets more sacks a year than Suh at 315 is impressive (at least to me). That's what is frustrating when people say they dont view Wilkerson at the level of Dez Bryant, Suh, or Justin Houston...I find Wilkerson just as special, especially for what he does at his size and build. I think he's just as special...but maybe I am bias, what he did against my Nittany Lions in back to back years was special in college, and watching him weekly is a treat as a Jets fan. I wouldnt want to lose him for many other defensive players...and I wouldnt trade him for Suh. No way.

Me too 55. I think Wilkerson is special.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
_gep2s4I_normal.jpeg
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 4h 4 hours ago Harrison is back RT @steelers: It’s official…@jharrison9292 is staying in the black and gold! MORE: http://stele.rs/2o4pp

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Sammy Watkins - WR - Bills
Coach Rex Ryan said the Percy Harvin signing was intended to "take a little pressure off Sammy Watkins."
"You might recall last year Sammy got doubled almost every snap," Ryan said. "You roll your coverage to him and all that. With a guy like Percy Harvin that's now going to be difficult to do." Watkins will remain the No. 1 target ahead of Harvin, Charles Clay and Robert Woods, but the Bills will ideally be among the league's most run-heavy offenses while trying to hide Matt Cassel/E.J. Manuel. Watkins profiles as a WR2 type in fantasy despite unique talent.
Related: Percy Harvin

Felix Jones - RB - Free Agent
Free agent RB Felix Jones ran unofficial 4.79 and 4.85 forties at the Veteran Combine on Sunday.
Jones ran a 4.47 at the 2008 Combine, helping him become the 22nd overall pick in that draft. It proved to be a mostly wasted pick for Dallas, as "Fragile Felix" never topped 800 yards or three rushing touchdowns in a season. He hasn't appeared in the NFL since 2013 and is teetering on the edge of the league at age 27.

Michael Bush - RB - Free Agent
Free agent RB Michael Bush ran unofficial 4.96 and 4.91 forties at the Veteran Combine on Sunday.
"You gotta be (expletive) me," Bush said when informed of his time. "... 4.91? ... There you go, there goes my career." Once a must-own handcuff to oft-injured Darren McFadden in Oakland, Bush appears unlikely to even get a training camp shot this summer.

B.J. Raji - DL - Free Agent
The Packers have "made it clear" to free agent NT B.J. Raji that they want him back.
Raji has drawn no known interest elsewhere, so staying in Green Bay for now seems his likeliest endgame. "We want all of our guys back, especially our big guys," coach Mike McCarthy said. The Packers also have yet to re-sign free agent Letroy Guion, who replaced an injured Raji at nose tackle last year.
Related: Packers

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Greg Jennings - WR - Free Agent
The Dolphins reportedly plan to "talk with" free agent WR Greg Jennings.
Jennings trekked to Carolina for a free agent visit on Saturday, but is expected to flirt with more teams before choosing a destination. Jennings is presumably tight with Dolphins coach Joe Philbin, a former Packers coordinator.
Related: Dolphins

Mikel Leshoure - RB - Free Agent
Free agent RB Mikel Leshoure managed a 4.61 forty-yard dash at the NFL's Veteran Combine.
He ran 4.59 coming out of Illinois in 2011. Leshoure went on to tear his Achilles' tendon with the Lions and never looked the same, averaging 3.72 YPC on 217 runs before being waived last August. Still only 25, it's unclear what Leshoure has left in the tank, but he's obviously trying to keep his name on the NFL's radar. He had a workout with the Saints last November.

Michael Sam - DL - Free Agent
Free agent OLB/DE Michael Sam ran unofficial 5.10 and 5.07 forties at the Veteran Combine on Sunday.
That is, um, not good. Sam ran an official 4.91 forty at the Scouting Combine last year before being selected in the seventh round of the draft by the Rams, but anything over 5-flat looks ugly on paper. He's never been a fast player, and this isn't going to help Sam's chances of getting back in the NFL.

Greg Jennings - WR - Free Agent
The Panthers reportedly hosted Greg Jennings for a free agent visit on Saturday.
Panthers GM Dave Gettleman is a bargain hunter, and Jennings should come cheaply going on age 32. He would represent a mild upgrade on current No. 2 receiver Jerricho Cotchery. Jennings is also known as a leader and could benefit Kelvin Benjamin. He wouldn't offer much fantasy value in Carolina.
Related: Panthers

Will Hill - DB - Ravens
The Redskins are not expected pursue restricted free agent S Will Hill.
Washington has a need at safety after losing Ryan Clark and Brandon Meriweather. Hill would be an obvious upgrade, but is likely to require a multi-year deal to sign away from the Ravens. Baltimore only gave Hill an original pick tender, and won't receive any compensation if he signs elsewhere.
Related: Redskins

marac

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
Me too 55. I think Wilkerson is special.

Here's the compassion that i like.... Suh 1st 2 seasons 102 tackles-1 FF -14 sacks Richardson 1st 2 seasons 143 tackles - 2FF - 11.5 sacks...

Mo to me is better compared to say Calais Campbell, But I actually think that Mo is a better all around player.....

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ike Taylor - DB - Free Agent
According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, free agent CB Ike Taylor "has accepted the idea he likely has played his final NFL game."
Unable to drum up any free agent interest, Taylor says he is no longer fielding offers. It would be a stretch to say Taylor went out on top after another dismal season in Pittsburgh's yard-bleeding secondary. Quarterbacks have been using him as a punching bag for years. Taylor, who spent his entire 12-year career with the Steelers, plans to pursue a career in broadcasting, possibly with NFL Films or NFL Network.
Related: Steelers

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Dwayne Bowe - WR - Browns
Dwayne Bowe's two-year contract with the Browns is worth $12.5 million with $9 million guaranteed and a $3.5 million signing bonus.
Bowe's 2015 base salary of $2.65 million is fully guaranteed, while $2.85 million of Bowe's 2016 salary ($6.15 million) is also guaranteed. It's a surprisingly aggressive contract for a wide receiver going on age 31 who many seem to believe is nearing the end of the line. Browns GM Ray Farmer clearly disagrees. Bowe should be locked in as Cleveland's No. 1 receiver this year.

DeMarco Murray - RB - Eagles
A source told the Philadelphia Inquirer the Raiders offered DeMarco Murray significantly more guaranteed money than the Eagles.
Murray gave the Eagles a discount so he could play in Chip Kelly's scheme, stick it to the Cowboys twice a year and avoid the annual train wreck that is the the Raiders. He probably did Oakland GM Reggie McKenzie a favor. The Raiders should be building through youth, with exciting running back Latavius Murray a major part of that.
Related: Raiders, Latavius Murray

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Here's the compassion that i like.... Suh 1st 2 seasons 102 tackles-1 FF -14 sacks Richardson 1st 2 seasons 143 tackles - 2FF - 11.5 sacks...

Mo to me is better compared to say Calais Campbell, But I actually think that Mo is a better all around player.....

Hard to argue with either of those two players (Wilk/Rich); great skills that compliment one another. Add an edge guy who is equally talented and watch out.