Around The NFL

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Bernard Pierce - RB - Jaguars
Jaguars claimed RB Bernard Pierce off waivers from the Ravens.
It's a surprising move, as Pierce's release came after he was arrested for drunk driving, while he's been horrendous each of the past two seasons. The Jags also already have a plodding inside runner in Toby Gerhart. Pierce is the owner of a career 3.77 YPC, and offers nothing in the passing game. He'll face an uphill climb to crack the Jags' 53-man roster.
Related: Ravens

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

is Mara talking about this year's class or last year's class? Hey Mara, you sound like a woman scorned. Guess you didnt do so well on your spending spree last year. :)

Kimberley A. Martin ✔ @KMart_LI
�� MT @TomRock_Newsday: Mara: this was "mediocre" FA class that made big $$ cuz teams had cap space. NYG werent interested in inflated prices

J

Jet Setter

is Mara talking about this year's class or last year's class? Hey Mara, you sound like a woman scorned. Guess you didnt do so well on your spending spree last year. :)

�� MT @TomRock_Newsday: Mara: this was "mediocre" FA class that made big $$ cuz teams had cap space. NYG werent interested in inflated prices

Mara spent like a drunk sailor last year and now's he's blue. What a sad sack.
Didn't he first snatch away DRC and then the same day get another CB on the market Walter Thurmond III? How'd that work out for you, Mara?

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Maybe Mara is unaware of the deals the Giants gave out.

CAaGQmWVIAAdHS8.png:large

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 41m41 minutes ago

Seriously, though. That Mara quote is so unbelievably tone-deaf after the past two Giants offseasons. If I were a fan, I'd be apoplectic.

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 39m39 minutes ago

You guys remember the time the Giants gave an average kick returner $7.5 million guaranteed?

Corey Griffin @CoreyGriffinNBC · 37m37 minutes ago

The #Giants didn't pay inflated prices for McCourty/Suh/Revis. But those teams overpaid for impact talent. Giants overpaid STers & backups.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
4. What progress have you made toward reaching a new deal for DE Muhammad Wilkerson?
"Muhammad's obviously a very good player and we definitely want to keep him in the organization. I don't want to put a timeframe on it but it is something we will address here in the future. It's going to be a process in working with any player to try to find a place where you have agreement in terms of value. ... We do have the ability and have allocated resources to potentially do that with him, but I don't want to put a time table on it to create undue stress or pressure.""

Maybe I'm reading into this comment from Mac wrong, but Houston I think we've got a problem ! This deal was supposed to be done during the Combines ? Here's the snag, Big Mo is still not happy about losing his Coaches to Buffalo, he is also looking around @ what JJ Watt & now Suh got paid, and his agent is thinking he is a 100M player as well ? And Mac has run into his first brick wall negotiating with Wilkerson. We need to get him signed, but @ the right price. And sorry Mo, but you are not in the same caliber as Watt or Suh.

Go Jets...Cyborg

L

Lakerfan80

Big Mo is a very good player and team leader but your right he isn't at that level. I'm not sure if I would put him at the level of Dez, D.Thomas, or Houston, all game changers, all franchised off their rookie deal. I have no problem with the Jets doing the same with Wilkerson.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Yikes, The Jacksonville Jags still owe Mike Johnson $7M even though he's back with the Bengals. Free agency can be your friend, or worst enemy ! The most boring but interesting thing in free agency is the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson GM who Hyatt calls Turd, very rarely will ever sign another teams free agent; however, they will keep their own like Cobb & Bulaga.

Not sure how much Davon House received as CB for the Jags, but that's who we should have signed instead of Cromartie. Cro is 31 with a bad hip and got paid 4/$32M with $20M guaranteed. House is 25 and healthy, he's a larger Skeens type player. I wanted younger, faster & cheaper. Oh well !

Go Jets...Cyborg

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
4. What progress have you made toward reaching a new deal for DE Muhammad Wilkerson?
"Muhammad's obviously a very good player and we definitely want to keep him in the organization. I don't want to put a timeframe on it but it is something we will address here in the future. It's going to be a process in working with any player to try to find a place where you have agreement in terms of value. ... We do have the ability and have allocated resources to potentially do that with him, but I don't want to put a time table on it to create undue stress or pressure.""

Maybe I'm reading into this comment from Mac wrong, but Houston I think we've got a problem ! This deal was supposed to be done during the Combines ? Here's the snag, Big Mo is still not happy about losing his Coaches to Buffalo, he is also looking around @ what JJ Watt & now Suh got paid, and his agent is thinking he is a 100M player as well ? And Mac has run into his first brick wall negotiating with Wilkerson. We need to get him signed, but @ the right price. And sorry Mo, but you are not in the same caliber as Watt or Suh.

Go Jets...Cyborg

I think you're reading way too much into it. Supposedly, the team wanted to take care of pressing matters first(free agency and the draft) then deal with Mo. Also, I think Mo is more valuable than Suh and in Bowles' attack defense, his sack numbers will grow. Suh and Mo each have one double digit sack season and Suh has been playing in a defense that allows it's lineman to attack the qb rather than tie up blockers. Both are beasts against the run. Wilkerson has been the #2 ranked 3-4 lineman behind Watt for the past three years. He's going to get paid.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Yikes, The Jacksonville Jags still owe Mike Johnson $7M even though he's back with the Bengals. Free agency can be your friend, or worst enemy ! The most boring but interesting thing in free agency is the Green Bay Packers. Ted Thompson GM who Hyatt calls Turd, very rarely will ever sign another teams free agent; however, they will keep their own like Cobb & Bulaga.

Not sure how much Davon House received as CB for the Jags, but that's who we should have signed instead of Cromartie. Cro is 31 with a bad hip and got paid 4/$32M with $20M guaranteed. House is 25 and healthy, he's a larger Skeens type player. I wanted younger, faster & cheaper. Oh well !

Go Jets...Cyborg

The Bucs owe him money, not the Jaguars.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Big Mo is a very good player and team leader but your right he isn't at that level. I'm not sure if I would put him at the level of Dez, D.Thomas, or Houston, all game changers, all franchised off their rookie deal. I have no problem with the Jets doing the same with Wilkerson.

I have no doubt in my mind Wilkerson will get a fair deal. It's coming. He's a cornerstone of the defense. No way Macc low balls him.

U

ucrenegade

Go Jets...Cyborg

cro was a alternate pro bowl player who knows bowles and lacy's defense and played pretty good in it..... for all we know house can't play man to man corner.........so the smartest signing they did besides resigning their own was bringing cro home.

J

Jet Setter

Go Jets...Cyborg

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I think this is the fans expectation that a deal would get done. The new Jets brass arrived to listen only. And trust me, no one gives a rat that Wilk might be unhappy with 7M this year.

I've been trying to tell you guys that this is a new regime. One that hasn't witnessed what Mo can do. They're not going to blindly extend him especially when he's reportedly asking for close to Watt money. And if Wilk demands 100M, what do you think Sheldon will command? And how long can you afford to pour so much money into the defense?

Again, the old regime felt it was important to have cornerstone 3-4 DE's as among the best and highest paid players on the team. This one (and every other one in NFL history) may not agree. The Richardson extension is also looming and to just jump into this huge expense of combining Mo and Sheldon when the new regime made a conscious decision to allocate big money to the secondary would be a bit reckless.
Mo is being very adequately compensated and still on his rookie contract. Mike needs to do nothing at this time.