Around The NFL

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I actually like this move for Carolina. When I heard he was waived I was hoping we'd put a claim on him. He may not be an elite OT, but he's started at RT and LT many games in the NFL now and having him as our #3 tackle would have made me feel better about our depth.

+1 Agree plus he's young and won't cost much. I do question the signing of their LT Michael (Blindside) Oher, but think they will address this in the draft.

Go Jets...Cyborg

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I actually like this move for Carolina. When I heard he was waived I was hoping we'd put a claim on him. He may not be an elite OT, but he's started at RT and LT many games in the NFL now and having him as our #3 tackle would have made me feel better about our depth.

I am glad we did not sign him. He's a cry baby. You need to keep problems in house and use the proper chain of command. He violated that.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I am glad we did not sign him. He's a cry baby. You need to keep problems in house and use the proper chain of command. He violated that.

How many years ago did he do this? Does he ever get to move on or is his football career for this player in his mid 20s over because he made this mistake?

I feel everyone makes mistakes, especially those in their young 20s stepping into a professional environment for the first time...and his situation was far from an ideal first professional environment. Eventually, the kid deserves a second chance in my eyes. I can't hold one mistake of a player in his young 20s over his head his entire life.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
How many years ago did he do this? Does he ever get to move on or is his football career for this player in his mid 20s over because he made this mistake?

I feel everyone makes mistakes, especially those in their young 20s stepping into a professional environment for the first time...and his situation was far from an ideal first professional environment. Eventually, the kid deserves a second chance in my eyes. I can't hold one mistake of a player in his young 20s over his head his entire life.

AFA - I saw your response to this before you deleted your post. I know you believe a 22 year old is an adult, but read what I said above, he was stepping out of college into his first professional environment...as one who works in corporate America, I can tell you stepping into Microsoft, Citibank, Apple, HP, or Pfizer, doesn't matter the environment, its your first time in corporate America, you have to learn the ropes, who is who, and how to play the game...just like the jump you make from jr high to high school and from high school to college, then again from college to the work environment...there is a growth and learning step in all transitions.

You're arguing if he did the right thing or not. Im not debating your point. Guess how old every kid coming out of college that joins corporate America? 21 or 22 depending if they started college at 17 or 18. Guess what, a lot of kids make mistakes when they first step into a corporate environment, they stand out too much, they dont stand out enough, they're too ambitious, they aren't ambitious enough, they talk too much about their personal life, they dont talk enough and come across as too rigid, etc, etc. Every kid makes mistakes during the transition...and you know what 22 year olds are in corporate America? Kids.

We sometimes lose perspective with our fandom versus real life and fail to put things in appropriate context (what if John Martin was your kid, or you were his mentor, wouldn't you tell him to learn from it but not let it prohibit his ambitions and goals?). Its okay for John Martin to make a mistake at a job, as it is okay for any 22 year old coming out of college and becoming a professional for the first time.

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

Superman, you keep reading my posts before I have a chance to edit them. Everyone deserves a second chance. I agree with that. I assume your in the Business industry. I am in the Military (Flight Instructor). We keep our own problems in house. I have no problem with Martin, Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice getting second chances. I don't agree with what they did and would not want them on my team. Whether its the Jets or flying.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Everyone does make mistakes. Incognito's name will always be remembered by this young mans mistake. Whether your in Business, Pro Sports or the Military, this mistake causes undo problems for your organization. If he had done this under my leadership, I would have had him transferred. I have no problem with him going to Carolina. I would not want him with the Jets. Adrian Peterson, Ray Rice all made mistakes. Do they deserve 2nd chances, of course. I just would not want them with the Jets.

Incognito name isnt tarnished because of this kid, he is tarnished because of his own actions; with this kid, it was too much compared to the other people who have delt with his continued display of bad decisions.

Incognito did this on his own:

College career:
In 2001, Incognito redshirted at Nebraska.[5] In 2002, he became the first Husker freshman offensive lineman to start in the season opener and just the third rookie lineman to earn any start in his first year of competition. He played in all 14 games, starting 13 at left tackle and posted the second-highest season pancake total in Husker history with 171.[6] He was named a First-team Freshman All-American by FWAA, The Sporting News, and Rivals.com as well as First-Team Freshman All-Big 12 (The Sporting News).[7]

At the same time, though, he began displaying the behavioral problems that would follow him throughout his career. During his second game, against Troy State, he was accused of spitting on a Troy State player. Two weeks later, he was ejected for picking a fight in a blowout loss to Penn State.[8] Per NCAA rules, he had to sit out the first half of the Huskers' next game, against Iowa State.[7] In the second-to-last game of the season, against Colorado, he was flagged for a 15-yard personal foul penalty late in the game that largely contributed to the Huskers losing to the Buffaloes.[8]

In the spring of 2003, Incognito got in a fight during practice and was suspended indefinitely by head coach Frank Solich. By this time, Solich and his staff were concerned enough about Incognito's behavior to send him to the Menninger Clinic in Topeka, Kansas for anger management treatment.[8] Incognito was reinstated by the start of the season and started 13 games at left tackle. He was rewarded with a first-team All-Big 12 selection by the Associated Press.[7]

In February 2004, Incognito was involved in a fight at a party and was charged with three counts of assault. In June, he was found guilty on one of the misdemeanor assault charges and paid a $500 fine. Incognito was shifted to center during the 2004 preseason camp. He entered the season with high expectations, listed on a number of preseason lists as a top center and named to the watch list for the Rimington Trophy going to the best center in college football.[9] On September 1, however, he was suspended indefinitely for repeated violations of team rules. The final straw for new coach Bill Callahan came when Incognito got into a fight in the locker room. Within a few weeks, Incognito withdrew from all classes at Nebraska and left Lincoln.[10][8]

In late September, he transferred to the University of Oregon, only to be dismissed from the team a week later. Head coach Mike Bellotti said Incognito failed to meet the conditions he'd agreed to meet before his arrival in Eugene. Bellotti didn't elaborate, but Incognito had been required to complete an anger-management course and adhere to a strict code of conduct.[11]

NFL Career:

2007 - In early November, Incognito suffered a knee injury that forced him to miss the remainder of season.[14] However, while rehabilitating, it was later revealed that he had been partying nightly.[15]

2008 - On December 13, during the first half of a 47-7 loss to the Tennessee Titans, Incognito drew two 15-yard penalties for headbutting Titans players. Head coach Steve Spagnuolo benched him for the second half, and the two got into a heated confrontation on the sidelines. It was the second time Incognito had been benched for losing his composure; he'd been pulled from the season opener against Seattle for two personal fouls. However, the Titans incident was the last straw; the Rams waived him two days after the game.[20] In 2013, former Rams general manager Billy Devaney told ESPN that Spagnuolo had given Incognito numerous chances to clean up his act, and had put him on notice that the Rams would cut ties with him if he couldn't control his anger.[21]

The two personal fouls led to a $50,000 fine from the NFL and a letter from the league office warning him that "future infractions of the types you have committed may lead to increased disciplinary action up to and including suspension."[22] In four years with the Rams from 2006 to 2009, Incognito drew 38 penalties, including seven unnecessary roughness calls, more than any other player during that span.[15]

2012 - During the Dolphins' annual celebrity golf tournament at the Turnberry Isle Resort and Club in Aventura, Florida, a drunken Incognito harassed a female volunteer at the club. He rubbed her private parts with a golf club, pressed his private parts against her buttocks and dumped water in her face. The matter was referred to Dolphins security. Although former Dolphins wide receiver Nat Moore apologized to her, the volunteer filed a police report after Incognito didn't personally apologize; the matter was later settled after she signed a confidentiality agreement. This incident didn't come to public light until November 2013.[27] Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin subsequently confirmed that the Dolphins were aware of the situation, and had taken "immediate action" in response; he didn't elaborate.[28]

Despite this, Incognito started all 16 games of the 2012 season at left guard.[29] Incognito made his first and only National Football League Pro Bowl appearance after the 2012 season.[30] Incognito also won the 2012 Good Guy Award alongside teammate Reggie Bush. The award is given out by the Pro Football Writers Association in each NFL city to the player(s) who best helps the media do its job.[31]

2013 - On November 3, 2013, the Dolphins suspended Incognito for misconduct related to the treatment of teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the team a week earlier. Incognito's conduct was said to be detrimental to the team.[32] On February 4, 2014, Incognito's suspension was lifted.[33]

...any baggage that follows Incognito is his own doing and not Martin's. truth is, Martin wouldn't have any issue in his NFL career, likely, if Incognito didn't have any mental issues...

AFA2017

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I am not defending Incognito for his college days behavior. Lawrence Taylor was worse at UNC (but he was a God there) and everything was brushed under the rug. I flew with another pilot who played with him. Incognito will always be known as a racist for his jokingly slurs toward Martin. Whether they were jokingly or not.

End of Discussion: You made your point and I made mine.

S

sg3

Martin is a lousy football player having already failed at two locations

We had enough lousy players last season. No need to add a new one

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Martin is a lousy football player having already failed at two locations

We had enough lousy players last season. No need to add a new one

Out of 82 tackles that started in the NFL last year, Martin finished ranked 60th by PFF. Breno ranked 45th.

I know its not #1 , but I feel pretty confident saying Ben Ijalana and Corey Hiliard aren't cracking the top 60 OTs in the NFL list any time soon...so having a #3 OT ranked #60 best OT in the NFL isn't a bad back up plan for if something happens and we need a pinch hitter...but if you feel Ben and Corey are the next Orlando Pace, sorry for pointing out the obvious that Martin is better than anything we have...

S

sg3

Any one of the five backups we already have, one of the available mid round picks and probably a dozen or more undrafted and street FAs>>Martin

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Any one of the five backups we already have, one of the available mid round picks and probably a dozen or more undrafted and street FAs>>Martin

Those are always the best answers. Like when you're taking your kids to the pool and they're like, we don't want to go to the pool, so you ask them where they would like to go, and they answer, anywhere is better than the pool.

Your answer to who is our best option to backup our tackles? You:Anyone. The guy on our roster (who you don't know their names) anyone in the draft (you don't know their names either) or anyone off the street including yourself (might as well be nameless)? Yes. This is a sound philosophy to build a roster. Good point.

Old#15

Old Wise Tale
Jet Fanatics
Per AdamSchefter tweet:

"Look for former Raiders QB Matt Schaub to sign this week, per source. Interested teams include Jets, Ravens, Falcons, amongst others."

If true, and he signs does this mean that we have no interest in the draft class of 2015?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Per AdamSchefter tweet:

"Look for former Raiders QB Matt Schaub to sign this week, per source. Interested teams include Jets, Ravens, Falcons, amongst others."

If true, and he signs does this mean that we have no interest in the draft class of 2015?

yes...much like CB as it pertains to this draft class....

But i dont think we sign him.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Per AdamSchefter tweet:

Bringing in Schaub would be an interesting move. I don't think he's going anywhere unless he's guaranteed at least #2 . If he goes to the Jets, he's in a three way QB competition. I think he goes to ATL.

U

ucrenegade

i wanted shaub when he was on the falcons, it seems all the guys i wanted and would have targeted we are looking at 10 years to late.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I'd be surprised if the Jets signed him. If they hadn't traded for Fitzpatrick, maybe. But right now, both are roughly at similar points in their career, and Fitzpatrick is better.

S

sg3

Those are always the best answers. Like when you're taking your kids to the pool and they're like, we don't want to go to the pool, so you ask them where they would like to go, and they answer, anywhere is better than the pool.

Your answer to who is our best option to backup our tackles? You:Anyone. The guy on our roster (who you don't know their names) anyone in the draft (you don't know their names either) or anyone off the street including yourself (might as well be nameless)? Yes. This is a sound philosophy to build a roster. Good point.
Sorry statz55. You asked me who.is a better option than godawful Jonathan Martin and the correct answer to that question is what I said. Just about any OT alive.

Here is our basic difference. I.am a Jet fan who 1) thinks we have some good talented players 2) thinks our new coaching staff can develop some of them 3) doesn't really give a crap about PFF, PFO and rankings and statz by English soccer guys and 4)that our biggest stumbling block now that WRECKS is gone is waiting for the worst QB in the NFL the last two years to magically transform into Cinderella in his third season

You apparently think all our players other than our stumbling block are bums and that we should sign any.player that gets cut by any team at any cost because they must be better.

Here is my suggestion. I will happily put you on ignore and you do the same with me and thus, you needn't respond and call me names, I will do the same and you can go forward merrily posting statz and statz and more statz supporting all your posts

Deal?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Sorry statz55. You asked me who.is a better option than godawful Jonathan Martin and the correct answer to that question is what I said. Just about any OT alive.

Here is our basic difference. I.am a Jet fan who 1) thinks we have some good talented players 2) thinks our new coaching staff can develop some of them 3) doesn't really give a crap about PFF, PFO and rankings and statz by English soccer guys and 4)that our biggest stumbling block now that WRECKS is gone is waiting for the worst QB in the NFL the last two years to magically transform into Cinderella in his third season

You apparently think all our players other than our stumbling block are bums and that we should sign any.player that gets cut by any team at any cost because they must be better.

Here is my suggestion. I will happily put you on ignore and you do the same with me and thus, you needn't respond and call me names, I will do the same and you can go forward merrily posting statz and statz and more statz supporting all your posts

Deal?

How about this, I'm not going to ignore you. I enjoy your "all our players are good and all their players suck" posts. Your rationale for posting is an admitteded opinion and emotion based method, I enjoy such shenanigans, like when a girl picks their favorite team by uniform. I still like to hear their non-informed choice.

However, if you wish to ignore me, this will mark the second time you stated you would do so. Feel free to click ignore whenever you like. Feelings not hurt. I'll still read your shenanigans.