Around The NFL

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I am glad the Jets didn't trade for Mallet. (I think people proposed that)
He's been nothing but a whiny little girl on the Texans since his benching. Truly unstable.

Leopards don't change their spots ! Mallet was nothing but a "punk" while @ Arkansas with multiple arrest that were swept under the carpet because he was the Razorback QB. He's an idiot !

Go Jets...Cyborg

D

dabigyear

I'll stick with Fitz, if he only accomplishes being an average QB, the rest of the team can pick up from there.

L

Lakerfan80

You can add Foles and Cousins to that list of mediocre to poor QB's who many Jet fans wanted as well. Mathew Stafford is just one of those rocket arm QB that fans love and gets coaches fired, just like Cutler. There is no more than a few QB's who can be counted on every game...good to have a great defense this year.

D

dabigyear

Kaepernick is another good example of a college system quarterback that doesn't understand what he's seeing at the line. Rogers was also a system quarterback but he spent years learning before he became a starter. It's the reason I fear Petty is going to be fed to the wolves before he really understands what he's seeing at the line. It would be nice if Fitz lasts a couple years.

L

Lakerfan80

Rodgers was also considered a top 10 pick but fell lower in the 1st round. Petty is a 4th round hopeful.

D

dabigyear

I don't remember Rogers draft, but he learned identifying defenses really well before coming starting. I was dead set against Petty, but now that he's here, can only hope for the best.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
You can add Foles and Cousins to that list of mediocre to poor QB's who many Jet fans wanted as well. Mathew Stafford is just one of those rocket arm QB that fans love and gets coaches fired, just like Cutler. There is no more than a few QB's who can be counted on every game...good to have a great defense this year.

I'd take Matthew Stafford QB in a NY second ! The only reason the Lions are 0-5 is because Coach Caldwell who happens to be from my town here in Carolina. He ran Wake-Forest program into the ground, then Coach Dundy hired him to ride his coat-tails ! Great guy, terrible HC.

Go Jets...Cyborg

L

Lakerfan80

Of course you will...it doesn't change the fact he isn't a franchise QB or one of the 3-4 QB who can be counted on year in and year out. The guy came into the league and had Calvin Johnson and the Lions have had poor season before Caldwell, who by the way made the playoffs last season.

Many Jet fans would take Kirk Cousins in a second even when they know he's good for 2 picks a game.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Of course you will...it doesn't change the fact he isn't a franchise QB or one of the 3-4 QB who can be counted on year in and year out. The guy came into the league and had Calvin Johnson and the Lions have had poor season before Caldwell, who by the way made the playoffs last season.

Many Jet fans would take Kirk Cousins in a second even when they know he's good for 2 picks a game.

I hear you, but Stafford is way above Cousins on my board. There is only one franchise QB but he plays with the Packers. And Schwarts had the Lions coming together before handing it off to Caldwell. Like I said, great guy, terrible HC.

Go Jets...Cyborg

D

dabigyear

You guys may be able to get Stafford pretty cheap, real soon.
He's been playing catch with the opposing teams.
He has 6 td and 8 int. and a 75 rating.

I'd like to see someone look into college system quarterbacks and see how they do after having a few good seasons in the NFL.
I don't know what would come out, but there seems to be a meltdown of quarterbacks after a few years, as in, "we now disguise coverage's that baffle this guy".

It appears like the NFL only has a top tier in quarterbacks. Many of the rest of the quarterbacks coming out of college have only played in a system and can be beat with Pro coverage's that are well disguised. Quarterbacks below top tier are playing musical chairs. (Hoyer, Mallet, etc.)

L

Lakerfan80

Maybe college football just can't prepare these QB's to come into the league with all they have to learn. There doesn't seem to be much confidence in the young guys as well. With the exception of Luck and Wilson, all the other top QB's are well in their 30's. You also see teams turning to old vets when a starter go down, like Dallas now turning to Cassell,Hasselback in Indy, even the Steelers turned to old man Vick when they have former 3rd round pick Landry Jones, who's been sitting and learning for 3 seasons.

The top college QB's of this season doesn't look that great with Goeff throwing 4 picks against the first good team he played.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Peyton is done. Is there anyone who disagrees?

I mean...5 games is a pretty good sample size right? Manning sits at a 77.3 rating after 5 games. That is good enough for 30th in the league. Here is his rank:

27. Ryan Fitzpatrick-78.1
28. Nick Foles-77.6
29. Jameis Winston-77.6
30. PEYTON MANNING-77.3
31. Ryan Tannehill-77.1

D

dabigyear

When a man is beating you, it doesn't matter what his rating is. Physically, Manning may be done throwing haymakers, but he can still identify defenses and beat the hell out of a lot of teams with dink and dunk football. Quarterbacks don't have to carry a team on their back, Manning is a good example of only needing to complement other talent and plays in a game.

Colleges want football to be exciting, flinging it, football. College players on opposing defenses change every year, in the pros, defensive players stay and hone their skill for years and their defensive schemes rely on disguising the defense. A quarterback that had to recognize and adjust to different defensive schemes in college is easier and quicker to learn the pro way of recognizing defenses.
The 'system' quarterbacks from college never had the experience of adjusting their plays to different defenses so it takes a lot longer learning the defenses and calling adjustments at the line in the NFL.
Rogers had years behind Favre to learn, Sanchez and Geno had none. Kaepernick had none and is hitting his wall.
I think Petty will need more than a year.

Most colleges are turning out rocket arm dumbbell quarterbacks. Colleges can't turn out even 5 quarterbacks a year that are ready to play NFL football within a year.

D

dabigyear

Count on anything Wrecks Ryan is in charge of turning out to be a disaster...dumping Tyrod Taylor for Manuel is the latest.
Taylor has a bigger upside and you have to struggle through his growing pains.
Bozo is not that patient or good with quarterback strategy which explains this latest musical chairs.
So happy to see Rex in the rear view mirror, he's bad for NFL football.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Count on anything Wrecks Ryan is in charge of turning out to be a disaster...dumping Tyrod Taylor for Manuel is the latest.
Taylor has a bigger upside and you have to struggle through his growing pains.
Bozo is not that patient or good with quarterback strategy which explains this latest musical chairs.
So happy to see Rex in the rear view mirror, he's bad for NFL football.

you do realize that tyrod taylor is hurt with a sprained MCL and that's the reason he's not starting...

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
you do realize that tyrod taylor is hurt with a sprained MCL and that's the reason he's not starting...

Yep, Taylor is hurt that's why Manuel is getting the start. Having said that, Taylor is starting to get figured out. Teams have some tape on him which is why he's been struggling since the Giants game.

D

dabigyear

I didn't know TT was injured, next time you see Rex, give him my warmest, heartfelt apology.