Around The NFL

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Something to remember as we get ready for free agency.

Louis Riddick @LRiddickESPN · 3h3 hours ago

There is a difference between what is perceived to be "adding talent" and true team building in the #NFL

You don't make personnel moves in a vacuum without considering a multitude of factors.

Value is subjective and specific to what you are trying to do as a team/organization. Important to remember.

Louis Riddick sounds like a smart guy. Somebody who really understands the game.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Could be an early Jets target.

99lF4SL9_normal.jpeg
Dianna Marie Russini @NBCdianna · 6h 6 hours ago 49ers Chris Culliver is one of the most sought after corners. Expect a big time deal. Graded high on many teams, per multiple team sources

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
6'0 200lbs ran a 4.40 flat at the combine

Chris Culliver - DB - 49ers
PFT believes free agent CB Chris Culliver could have a "very significant" market.
Coaches and general managers were talking up Culliver to PFT's Mike Florio during the Combine. It remains to be seen if they'll be ponying up a ton of guaranteed cash however, as Culliver carries a string of off-field incidents with him. Still, he's coming off an excellent season in coverage as a 14-game starter for the 49ers and the corner market is very weak. Culliver is set up for a payday.

I posted him as a sleeper target last week. I posted this rotoworld and a PFT article about him on 2/23.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jeremy Maclin on return to Eagles: If it’s supposed to happen, it will happen

Posted by Josh Alper on March 1, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
Dallas Cowboys v Philadelphia Eagles
Getty Images
Eagles wide receiver Jeremy Maclin is coming up on the point when he’s going to have to make some big decisions about his future, but he didn’t sound like a man feeling too pressured by that predicament on Saturday.

Maclin said he felt “no rush” to get things settled because it is more important to get the right deal than to get something done quickly and he left no uncertainty about where he wants to sign that right deal. Maclin knows other teams will be looking for receivers, but is clear about his desire to remain with the Eagles and his no-stress approach to his impending free agency means that he’s not pushing too hard in the final days before free agency starts.

“I’ve always said I want to be here in Philadelphia, but I’ve also always said I understand it’s a business,” Maclin said, via the Philadelphia Daily News. “Both sides have made it known that we both want each other back, so the rest of it is in God’s hands. If it’s supposed to happen, it’ll happen. I want to be here.”

There’s not much sense out of Philly that the franchise tag is in play for Maclin, who signed a one-year deal with the Eagles around this time last year. Maclin was coming off an ACL tear then and proved he was healthy with a strong 2014 season that will leave him in demand around the league if things don’t work out in Philly. That may account for his unruffled exterior at this point in the process.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Flowers - DB - Chargers
The Dolphins have "internally discussed" free agent CBs Brandon Flowers and Kareem Jackson.
Both Flowers and Jackson serve as outside corners in their base defense and can cover the slot in sub-packages. So it may be telling that these two types of corners are on the Dolphins' radar. Miami is expected to cut Cortland Finnegan soon, and will be a player on the free agent cornerback market.
Related: Dolphins

Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde expects contract talks between the Packers and free agent Randall Cobb to "go down to the final hours" before the market opens on March 10.
Two sources tell Wilde the Packers haven't given up on re-signing Cobb, but multiple reports have come out recently suggesting the sides may be headed for a split. The Packers have sophomores Davante Adams and Jeff Janis primed for bigger roles, and could get a third-round compensatory pick in 2016 if Cobb lands a big deal elsewhere. We strongly suspect he would at age 24.

NBC Washington's Dianna Marie Russini reports free agent Chris Culliver is "one of the most sought after cornerbacks" on the open market.
Culliver is "graded high" by many teams and is expected to net a "big time deal." This comes a week after PFT's Mike Florio reported something similar, saying GMs and coaches were talking Culliver up at the Combine. At 6-foot and 199 pounds, Culliver has the size most teams covet in outside cornerbacks.

Jeremy Maclin - WR - Eagles
CSN Philly's Geoff Mosher believes the Eagles will use the franchise tag on free agent Jeremy Maclin on Monday if the two sides don't agree to a long-term deal.
Maclin isn't in a rush to get a long-term deal done because he may want to see the open market. The Eagles can't afford to lose Maclin and are reportedly getting closer to his contract demands. The use of the tag would be to buy time in extension talks, as neither side would want to go into the season on the tag. It'd ultimately be a surprise if Maclin reached free agency March 10.

Charles Clay - TE - Dolphins
The Denver Post's Mike Klis expects the Broncos to have some interest in free agent Charles Clay.
Julius Thomas is expected to walk in free agency and leave the Broncos for a big-money deal. He's likely looking for $8 million-plus annually, while Clay should slot in around the $6 million range. Clay seems like the better fit for coach Gary Kubiak's offense as a finesse player who can line up at multiple spots.
Related: Broncos

Justin Houston - LB - Chiefs
Impending free agent OLB Justin Houston was a no-show for the Chiefs' Saturday banquet, where he was announced as the team's 2014 MVP.
This may hint at Houston's intentions of staying away from team functions as he negotiates with the Chiefs. Talks are said to be "ongoing," but Houston is likely to be franchise tagged before any significant progress is made.

U

ucrenegade

I like flowers I really hope the jets talk to him. flowers and cro would be two good signings IMO

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I like flowers I really hope the jets talk to him. flowers and cro would be two good signings IMO

The only think I dont like about him is he's 5'9. I hope we land Maxwell and if we sign a second CB, let it be Cro for under $5 mill...I'd want Maxwell or jackson ahead of Flowers or Cro.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
9:47
AM ET
By Joe Kaiser | ESPN Insider
242COMMENTS4EMAILPRINT
Three-time Pro Bowl left guard Mike Iupati, one of San Francisco's two first-round picks in 2010, was ranked as the No. 12 overall free agent in a top 20 poll compiled by ESPN NFL Nation's Kevin Seifert and ESPN NFL scout Matt Williamson in mid-February, and the massive 6-foot-5, 330-pound lineman reportedly has several teams targeting him in free agency.

The 49ers have gained the third-most rushing yards prior to contact (7,076) since Iupati joined the team in 2010, according to ESPN Stats & Info, and Dianna Marie Russini of NBC4 in Washington D.C reported Friday that the Washington Redskins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the teams known to be interested in the prized guard.

We'll keep you updated on this when more information comes available, but one thing is clear: the 49ers are going to have plenty of competition for Iupati if they intend to keep him this offseason.

U

ucrenegade

The only think I dont like about him is he's 5'9. I hope we land Maxwell and if we sign a second CB, let it be Cro for under $5 mill...I'd want Maxwell or jackson ahead of Flowers or Cro.

i would to but i think maxwell will be going to the falcons and kareem is a wildcard not sure where he goes.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Brandon Flowers - DB - Chargers
The Dolphins have "internally discussed" free agent CBs Brandon Flowers and Kareem Jackson.
Both Flowers and Jackson serve as outside corners in their base defense and can cover the slot in sub-packages. So it may be telling that these two types of corners are on the Dolphins' radar. Miami is expected to cut Cortland Finnegan soon, and will be a player on the free agent cornerback market.
Related: Dolphins

Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
ESPN Wisconsin's Jason Wilde expects contract talks between the Packers and free agent Randall Cobb to "go down to the final hours" before the market opens on March 10.
Two sources tell Wilde the Packers haven't given up on re-signing Cobb, but multiple reports have come out recently suggesting the sides may be headed for a split. The Packers have sophomores Davante Adams and Jeff Janis primed for bigger roles, and could get a third-round compensatory pick in 2016 if Cobb lands a big deal elsewhere. We strongly suspect he would at age 24.

NBC Washington's Dianna Marie Russini reports free agent Chris Culliver is "one of the most sought after cornerbacks" on the open market.
Culliver is "graded high" by many teams and is expected to net a "big time deal." This comes a week after PFT's Mike Florio reported something similar, saying GMs and coaches were talking Culliver up at the Combine. At 6-foot and 199 pounds, Culliver has the size most teams covet in outside cornerbacks.

Jeremy Maclin - WR - Eagles
CSN Philly's Geoff Mosher believes the Eagles will use the franchise tag on free agent Jeremy Maclin on Monday if the two sides don't agree to a long-term deal.
Maclin isn't in a rush to get a long-term deal done because he may want to see the open market. The Eagles can't afford to lose Maclin and are reportedly getting closer to his contract demands. The use of the tag would be to buy time in extension talks, as neither side would want to go into the season on the tag. It'd ultimately be a surprise if Maclin reached free agency March 10.

Charles Clay - TE - Dolphins
The Denver Post's Mike Klis expects the Broncos to have some interest in free agent Charles Clay.
Julius Thomas is expected to walk in free agency and leave the Broncos for a big-money deal. He's likely looking for $8 million-plus annually, while Clay should slot in around the $6 million range. Clay seems like the better fit for coach Gary Kubiak's offense as a finesse player who can line up at multiple spots.
Related: Broncos

Justin Houston - LB - Chiefs
Impending free agent OLB Justin Houston was a no-show for the Chiefs' Saturday banquet, where he was announced as the team's 2014 MVP.
This may hint at Houston's intentions of staying away from team functions as he negotiates with the Chiefs. Talks are said to be "ongoing," but Houston is likely to be franchise tagged before any significant progress is made.

Free agent or not, I think that sucks that Justin Houston was a no show to receive his MVP award from the Chiefs @ their award banquet.

Go Jets...Cyborg

NCgreen12

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Culliver, Jackson or Flowers. I'd tak'em in that order with Cro as my second CB signing. Don't trust Milliner even a little bit to be healthy this season. If he is than a bonus. McDougle is just an unknown who's had two season ending injuries the last two years.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Culliver, Jackson or Flowers. I'd tak'em in that order with Cro as my second CB signing. Don't trust Milliner even a little bit to be healthy this season. If he is than a bonus. McDougle is just an unknown who's had two season ending injuries the last two years.

My order: Maxwell, Culliver, Jackson, Flowers, and Cro.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
out of nowhere:

Report: Washington working on Brian Orakpo return

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 1:35 PM EST
NFL-New York Giants at Washington Redskins
Getty Images
The Redskins used the franchise tag on linebacker Brian Orakpo last year to ensure he would remain in Washington for the 2014 season, but it doesn’t look like they’ll go down that road again this time around.

Dianna Marie Russini of NBC Washington reports that the team will not tag Orakpo for the second straight year. That’s not a big surprise with Orakpo recovering from a torn pectoral muscle for the third time in his career.

That injury limited Orakpo to seven games and a half-sack last season, although Russini reports that the team is still interested in bringing Orakpo back. They’re reportedly working on reaching agreement on a deal that Orakpo would sign before hitting the open market next week.

The top of the market for edge rushers will be impacted by franchise tags as Justin Houston has been tagged while Jason Pierre-Paul and Jerry Hughes could join him before Monday afternoon’s deadline. Greg Hardy is the biggest name expected to hit March 10 with the ability to sign anywhere he wants with Orakpo, Brandon Graham and Jason Worilds somewhere behind him on the list.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Treasure to trash: Bucs trying to unload Anthony Collins

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2015, 12:16 PM EST
St. Louis Rams v Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Getty Images
When the free agent period opens next week, teams will throw big money at guys they believe to be the answers to all their problems.

And if they’re not, those guys will inevitably be thrown back.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Buccaneers are trying to trade left tackle Anthony Collins, and will cut him if they’re not able to.

That pretty much means they’re going to cut him, as Collins played so poorly last year there won’t be a line of teams eager to take on his contract.

The Bucs signed him to a five-year, $30 million a year ago, hoping he’d shore up a weak offensive line.

Collins was good-not-great for the Bengals, and the Buccaneers clearly overspent out of desperation.

Now, they’re looking elsewhere, and providing a cautionary tale to teams who want to win in March.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Justin Houston situation is about to get very interesting

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2015, 11:24 AM EST
Kansas City Chiefs v Jacksonville Jaguars
Getty Images
The Chiefs finally did what has been expected for months — they’ve applied the franchise tag to linebacker Justin Houston. And as explained over the weekend (when most of you weren’t devoting non-work time to non-work reading of the Internet), it’s much closer to the start of the process than the end of it.

The Chiefs opted for the non-exclusive version of the tag. On one hand, it’s cheaper than the exclusive level of the tag. On the other hand, it allows another team to sign Houston to an offer sheet that, if not matched by the Chiefs, would result in Houston changing hands for a pair of first-round picks.

Per a league source, Houston intends to aggressively pursue an offer sheet from another team, targeting teams that would be giving up a low first-round pick in 2015 and, most likely, a low first-round pick in 2016. Houston also intends to continue to pursue an offer sheet after the draft, when the compensation necessarily will become a first-round pick in 2016 and 2017.

Houston, we’re told, is seriously considering staying away from the Chiefs until the Week 10 deadline for signing the franchise tender. If nothing materializes by then, Houston would sign the tender, finish the season, and hit the market in 2016 — unless the Chiefs plan to tender him again, at a 20-percent raise over the 2015 franchise tender.

That’s a stark change from Houston’s in-season plan to sign the tender right away, gladly accepting the life-transforming $13 million or so for one year of play. That 22-sack season may have been a factor in Houston’s change of plans.

Finally, Houston will consult with the NFLPA to explore the possibility of filing a grievance seeking the defensive end franchise tender, which will be higher than the linebacker tender. Seven years ago, Ravens and Terrell Suggs engaged in a similar fight, with the two sides agreeing to essentially split the difference. For Houston, it could be a bit more challenging because he actually does play a considerable amount of linebacker, dropping into coverage in some passing situations.

Which makes him more versatile, makes his 22 sacks more impressive, and potentially makes him a lot more attractive to a team with a desperate coach and/or G.M. who may not be around to use the future draft picks that would be sacrificed to get Houston now.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Jacoby Jones slated for visits with Bengals, Titans

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 11:18 AM EST
Wild Card Playoffs - Baltimore Ravens v Pittsburgh Steelers
Getty Images
Neither the Bengals nor Titans are expected to use their franchise tag on Monday, leaving them free to work on other matters before the start of the new league year next week.

One thing that’s on tap is a visit with wide receiver/kick returner Jacoby Jones. Jones was released by the Ravens last week, leaving him free to sign with Cincinnati, Tennessee or any other team that’s interested in bringing him on board.

Geoff Hobson of the team’s website reports that Jones is scheduled for a visit with the team. Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun reports the same as well as the visit with the Titans.

Jones had just nine catches for the Ravens last season, but did average 30 yards per kickoff return. That would represent an improvement for each team, although neither team would seem to have a pressing need for Jones’s services on offense given the overall makeup of their receiving groups.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Holy crap!

Gostkowski more likely to be tagged than McCourty

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2015, 10:01 AM EST
Gostk
Getty Images
It figures that a guy who’d have no problem with the franchise tag may not get it.

Patriots safety Devin McCourty said last week he’d welcome the player-friendly $9.6-million-or-so one-year contract that goes with being tagged. Patriots kicker Stephen Gostkowski could end up being the guy sporting the franchise tag.

According to Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com, a greater likelihood exists that the Patriots will tag their kicker over their top safety. Casual fans routinely scoff at the notion that a kicker is a “franchise player,” but kickers who get the franchise tag see a much lower one-year contract offer. For Gostkowski, Reiss estimates that the cash and cap number will be in the range of $4.5 million.

By not tagging McCourty, the Patriots would perhaps set the stage either to pay cornerback Darrelle Revis $20 million to keep him for 2015 (at a cap number of $25 million) or to give Revis a big-money extension. It’s hard to imagine the Patriots letting McCourty hit the market if they also plan to release Revis before his compensation for 2015 becomes fully guaranteed.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Report: Chiefs give Justin Houston the franchise tag

Posted by Mike Wilkening on March 2, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
Houston
AP
The NFL’s reigning sack leader has received the franchise tag.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports the Chiefs have designated outside linebacker Justin Houston their franchise free agent.

The 26-year-old Houston has recorded 48.5 sacks in his first four NFL seasons. If Houston has received the non-exclusive tag, he will be tendered a one-year salary offer of the average of the top five linebacker salaries of 2014.

The Chiefs will have until July 15 to work out a contract extension with Houston, the second-rated player in PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

Houston paced the NFL with 22 sacks in 2014.

Lions will not franchise Ndamukong Suh

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2015, 9:46 AM EST
Ndamukong Suh
AP
The Lions have decided that as good as Ndamukong Suh is, he’s not good enough to be worth a $27 million salary this year.

As a result, the Lions aren’t putting the franchise tag on Suh, according to Tim Twentyman of the team’s website.

Suh’s franchise tag would have been enormous because the Lions have previously restructured his rookie deal, resulting in his cap number last year being more than $22 million. Under NFL rules, a player’s franchise tag offer must be at least 120 percent of his cap number for the previous year.

Now Suh will test free agency and see what other teams are willing to offer. There’s a good chance that some team with more cap space than the Lions will offer Suh more money, which means there’s a good chance that Suh is done in Detroit.