Around The NFL

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
• Spiller to Seahawks? The Seahawks traded away Percy Harvin in the middle of last season, leaving something of a speed void among their offensive skill players, particularly after second-round receiver Paul Richardson subsequently tore his ACL. While the team is more likely to address wide receiver than running back this offseason, free agent-to-be C.J. Spiller would be an intriguing add to Seattle from a speed and utilization standpoint. He's a player who might be best-served to find a team that can afford to use him in a non-bellcow role, and his explosiveness in the open field would be a nice boost to Seattle's offense. The Seahawks could use him in some of the same ways it used Harvin, because Spiller is an adept pass-catcher.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12407044/jacksonville-jaguars-indianapolis-colts-teams-primed-spend-free-agency-nfl

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Broncos use non-exclusive franchise tag on Demaryius Thomas

Posted by Josh Alper on March 2, 2015, 2:26 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwmymwrkztbhnjeyngy1zdnmzdc3njdmnjfhzdblyza0
AP
The Broncos have done the expected on Monday and placed their franchise tag on wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

The move comes as little surprise after several reports out of Denver indicated that the two sides weren’t close to agreement on a long-term deal that would keep Thomas in Denver for years to come. General Manager John Elway indicated weeks ago that the team would use the tag if that’s how things played out.

Denver announced that they used the non-exclusive tag, which means other teams can make a run at Thomas as long as he doesn’t sign it. The Broncos would have the right to match any offer and a team signing Thomas away would have to give the Broncos two first-round picks to make it happen.

Thomas will make $12.8 million under the tag, which he can sign at any point. There’s also a window to agree to a multi-year deal until July 15 and Thomas would be on track for free agency again next year if he fails to do so.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Giants franchise Jason Pierre-Paul

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 2, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Houston Texans v New York Giants
Getty Images
The Giants have officially placed the franchise tag on defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul.

The move comes as no surprise, as it’s been reported for weeks that Pierre-Paul would get the tag if he and the Giants don’t first come to an agreement on a long-term contract extension.

If Pierre-Paul wants, he can sign the franchise tender and play the 2015 season on a one-year contract with a guaranteed salary of $14.8 million. He would then either hit free agency next year or get franchised again, which would give him a 2016 salary of $17.8 million.

Pierre-Paul may think he can do better than that if he bides his time and convinces the Giants to give him a long-term deal, but one way or the other, he will remain with the Giants in 2015.

Permalink 1 Comment

Dolphins cut veteran cornerback Cortland Finnegan

Posted by Darin Gantt on March 2, 2015, 2:04 PM EST
Finnegan
Getty Images
If you’re an NFL veteran on the wrong side of 30 with a big cap number but without a clean bill of health, you might not want to answer your phone this week.

According to Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald, the Dolphins have released cornerback Cortland Finnegan.

Finnegan played just 12 games last year because of injuries, and was due $5.475 million this season, making it an easy call for the Dolphins.

The 31-year-old Finnegan may not be quite ready for the wake, but his big-earning days are certainly behind him.

The Dolphins have cleared out a number of veteran contracts lately for cap purposes. Wide receivers Brian Hartline and Brandon Gibson got it last week, and more moves could be on the way.

Permalink 5 Comments Feed for comments

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
My order: Maxwell, Culliver, Jackson, Flowers, and Cro.

My list for CB / S help:
1) McCourty - He can play CB or FS and it will hurt the Patriots
2) House - Virtually unknown CB who's 25
3) Maxwell
4) Jackson
5) Cromartie

Go Jets...Cyborg

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Franchise tags placed on the two top WRs in Dez and Demarious and not on Cobb, Maclin and T. Smith. I figured this would happen and I'm all in on Cobb. The Jets can now release Harvin, draft Mariota if he is there and draft another WR in the 3rd or 4th round as long they sign Cobb especially. If not Cobb then Maclin will be great and T. Smith at a distant third. Thoughts!

U

ucrenegade

Franchise tags placed on the two top WRs in Dez and Demarious and not on Cobb, Maclin and T. Smith. I figured this would happen and I'm all in on Cobb. The Jets can now release Harvin, draft Mariota if he is there and draft another WR in the 3rd or 4th round as long they sign Cobb especially. If not Cobb then Maclin will be great and T. Smith at a distant third. Thoughts!

i am 1. smith 2. maclin 3. cobb only because rodgers can make anyone look great kinda like peyton

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics

We need a stud WR and I really think Cobb is more of a slot guy. Let's keep Harvin and draft Cooper. You can never have enough weapons for Geno. I really doubt Mariota will be there, so I'm trying to move past it. I think Cooper or White would help us the most.

Go Jets...Cyborg

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
We need a stud WR and I really think Cobb is more of a slot guy. Let's keep Harvin and draft Cooper. You can never have enough weapons for Geno. I really doubt Mariota will be there, so I'm trying to move past it. I think Cooper or White would help us the most.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm with you 1000% that if Mariota and Winston ofcourse are gone, you go with Cooper or White. Parker can be a option also. This resigning Harvin I no longer agree with when you have Maclin, Cobb and T. Smith out there. All three are better WRs then Harvin and worth the money. I do agree you can never have enough weapons for Geno so if Mariota and Winston are gone, you definitely go with one of the WRs.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
i am 1. smith 2. maclin 3. cobb only because rodgers can make anyone look great kinda like peyton
I'm unclear on what your saying here. Are you saying T. Smith is your first choice, Maclin two and Cobb three? If so, Cobb is 24 yrs old and I see him as a great #2 as I see Decker. I believe Cobb is better then T. Smith without having any real proof. I believe Maclin is better then both of them and Decker. I believe Maclin is a true #1 WR but his injury history concerns me.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Cobb is too similar to Kerley. He's not a deep threat. We need Maclin, Torrey Smith, White, or Cooper, but we need someone who scares a defense...Cobb ain't it.

U

ucrenegade

I'm unclear on what your saying here. Are you saying T. Smith is your first choice, Maclin two and Cobb three? If so, Cobb is 24 yrs old and I see him as a great #2 as I see Decker. I believe Cobb is better then T. Smith without having any real proof. I believe Maclin is better then both of them and Decker. I believe Maclin is a true #1 WR but his injury history concerns me.

yeah those are the order i would pick. I am not saying cobb isn't good but like i said aaron rodgers can make anyone look good so i am not sold on him as much as the other two.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
yeah those are the order i would pick. I am not saying cobb isn't good but like i said aaron rodgers can make anyone look good so i am not sold on him as much as the other two.
I'm clear now. Cobb may be exactly what you say but damn he played well for GB at 24 yrs old. That can't all be Rodgers can it?

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Cobb is too similar to Kerley. He's not a deep threat. We need Maclin, Torrey Smith, White, or Cooper, but we need someone who scares a defense...Cobb ain't it.
With the numbers this guy put up over the past two years in GB, I can't believe you guys are doubting him so much but oh well. Is what it is I guess.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
With the numbers this guy put up over the past two years in GB, I can't believe you guys are doubting him so much but oh well. Is what it is I guess.

Not sure if you remember this converted QB to WR, but this scouting report of him out of college is dead accurate of the player he became...sounds a lot like Jeremy Kerley, Danny Amendola, or Julian Edelman, again, not what we need, we have a better version of that already in Decker, a 3rd down WR in Kerley, and now we need a potential #1 that can stretch the field...like Torrey Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Cooper, or White -

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Cobb possesses rare competitiveness and great intangibles. Not afraid of contact, going over the middle, or pass blocking. Good short area speed, can press the line and get to the perimeter. Good route-runner and can get open against zone. Versatile - high school quarterback who played running back, receiver, returned kicks, and in the Wildcat in college.
WEAKNESSES Lacks bulk for a running back. Does not possesses great top-end speed and not overly elusive in the open field. Does not have the strength and power to carry the load or push the pile. Only possesses adequate overall ball skills as a receiver. Struggles to sustain his blocks.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/randall-cobb?id=2495448

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
Not sure if you remember this converted QB to WR, but this scouting report of him out of college is dead accurate of the player he became...sounds a lot like Jeremy Kerley, Danny Amendola, or Julian Edelman, again, not what we need, we have a better version of that already in Decker, a 3rd down WR in Kerley, and now we need a potential #1 that can stretch the field...like Torrey Smith, Jeremy Maclin, Cooper, or White -

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS Cobb possesses rare competitiveness and great intangibles. Not afraid of contact, going over the middle, or pass blocking. Good short area speed, can press the line and get to the perimeter. Good route-runner and can get open against zone. Versatile - high school quarterback who played running back, receiver, returned kicks, and in the Wildcat in college.
WEAKNESSES Lacks bulk for a running back. Does not possesses great top-end speed and not overly elusive in the open field. Does not have the strength and power to carry the load or push the pile. Only possesses adequate overall ball skills as a receiver. Struggles to sustain his blocks.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/randall-cobb?id=2495448
If this is all true then I guess he isn't as good as I think and his numbers says he is.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
If this is all true then I guess he isn't as good as I think and his numbers says he is.

He's a Hines Ward/Wes Welker herky jerky WRs that is fast in and out of his breaks. He made 91 catches last year, 71 for 1st down receptions. He's Mr. Reliable for GB, like a better Jericho Cotchery. Cobb had 14 YPC last year, which is honestly better than I thought, but Maclin was 15.5, Dez 15, Hilton 16.5, and D. Thomas 15.5, Torrey Smith 16 ypc....I feel the Jets need that big play target...a guy who every time he touches it rips off close to 20. Just my opinion.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Andre Johnson - WR - Texans
The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Texans have given Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade, and if one can't be found, he'll be released.
The Texans informed Johnson that he'll have a reduced role in 2015, and the soon-to-be 34-year-old has asked to be cut or traded. Houston will grant him his wish. We highly doubt any team will trade for Johnson, considering he's scheduled to earn base salaries of $10.5 million and $11 million the final two years of his contract. The Texans will clear $8.825 million against the cap by shedding Johnson's contract. The move will lock DeAndre Hopkins into the clear-cut No. 1 receiver role after he took another leap forward as a sophomore in 2014.

Dan Williams - DL - Cardinals
ESPN 980 Washington reports the Redskins are interested in free agent NT Dan Williams.
Williams, the No. 26 overall pick in the 2010 draft, played close to 500 snaps for Arizona last season, grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 overall 3-4 nose tackle. He finished third among nose tackles in run defense. After cutting NT Barry Cofield, the Redskins are in the market for a new space-eater up front.
Related: Redskins

Brian Hartline - WR - Free Agent
Free agent WR Brian Hartline is visiting the Browns Tuesday.
The Dolphins cut Hartline and his bloated salary on Friday, giving him a head-start on free agency. It's not a surprise the Browns are interested as they currently sport a league-worst wideout depth chart topped by Andrew Hawkins, Travis Benjamin and Taylor Gabriel. Pass-catching tight end Jordan Cameron is also a free agent. The 28-year-old Hartline is mediocre at best, but he has local ties and would bring a bit of veteran stability. The fit makes sense.
Related: Browns

Mark Ingram - RB - Saints
Saints coach Sean Payton said free agent Mark Ingram is "someone that we want to keep."
Payton said he spoke with Ingram Monday, adding that the Saints are "very close" with his agent. Several running backs were added to the market last week (Reggie Bush, Steven Jackson and DeAngelo Williams to name a few), which could reduce Ingram's asking price. New Orleans is way over the cap right now and can only afford Ingram if he comes back on a team-friendly deal.

Brian Orakpo - LB - Redskins
PFT's Mike Florio reports the Falcons are interested in free agent Brian Orakpo.
This isn't the first time we've seen the Falcons connected to Orakpo. Atlanta was poised to make a run at Orakpo last offseason, but the Redskins ended up using the franchise tag on him. He'll hit the open market next week barring a late deal with the Redskins, who are said to be very interested in re-signing the 28-year-old. Despite a half-sack injury-shortened season, Orakpo will have suitors.
Related: Falcons

Bernard Pollard - DB - Free Agent
Titans released SS Bernard Pollard.
Pollard, 30, asked to be released after the season. He's 30 years old and looking for a chance to win. That wasn't going to happen in Tennessee, so the Titans granted his wish. Pollard ruptured his Achilles' in October, but should be ready for training camp. He registered 27 tackles, one sack, and one pass breakup across five games last season. Pollard is a quality in-the-box safety capable of punishing opposing players with big hits. He's an above-average run defender and leader and should be able to find work in a weak safety market.
Related: Titans

Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
ESPN's Mark Dominik considers the Dolphins one of three teams with a "real shot" at landing free agent Ndamukong Suh.
Dominik compares Suh to Reggie White as a "once in a generational talent" who will actually find his way to the open market. We don't disagree with that assessment. Now on to Suh and the Dolphins; we're not sure how Miami would work Suh into their payroll. After today's releases of CB Cortland Finnegan and T/G Nate Garner, and Charles Clay's transition tag, the Dolphins are about $2 million under the cap. At age 28, Suh is going to command the largest contract among defensive players in NFL history.
Related: Dolphins

Randall Cobb - WR - Packers
The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports free agent Randall Cobb could be seeking $12 million annually.
At least that was the scuttlebutt at the Combine. Cobb's original asking price was reportedly $9 million. The Packers could have secured Cobb for $12.823 million by giving him the franchise tag, but instead they'll let him test the market. $12 million isn't a realistic number for a player who, according to Pro Football Focus, played 87.3 percent of his snaps in the slot last season.

Ndamukong Suh - DL - Lions
"Sources with the organization" tell NBC Washington that the Redskins are interested in free agent Ndamukong Suh.
Consider this the least-surprising development of the offseason. Owner Daniel Snyder has long thought games are won in March, not September-December. Per the Washington Post, the Redskins have about $25 million in cap space. A run at Suh isn't a pipe dream, but would limit new GM Scot McCloughan's options in his first year on the job. The Redskins are 12-15 players away from being a contender, not one.
Related: Redskins

Lance Moore - WR - Free Agent
Steelers released WR Lance Moore.
With Antonio Brown catching everything in sight last season, Moore became an afterthought in the Steelers' passing game. Falling behind Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton, Moore finished with just 14 catches, his lowest total since 2009. Moore's release saves Pittsburgh $1.5 million in cap room. Coming up on his 32nd birthday, Moore will have a weak free agent market.
Related: Steelers

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Falcons targeting UFA Brian Orakpo?
March, 3, 2015
MAR 3
7:42
AM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
00COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
The Washington Redskins used the franchise tag on Brian Orakpo last year. This season, they opted against using the tag on the veteran linebacker, which means that he will be allowed to test the free-agent market in a week, unless he re-signs with Washington before the March 10 deadline.

Apparently, Orakpo already is drawing interest from other teams.

"Per a league source, at least four teams are interested in Orakpo," wrote Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com. "For now, the leaders are believed to be Washington and the Falcons."

The Falcons' interest in Orakpo dates back to last season, and with new coach Dan Quinn focused on turning around their struggling defense, we should expect them to make a run at least one impact pass-rusher this offseason:

Vaughn McClure
How much will Falcons be willing to invest in pass-rushers?
"Washington's Brian Orakpo would have been a top target for the Falcons last offseason had he not been hit with the franchise tag. Orakpo is set to hit the open market in March but is coming off a season-ending right pectoral tear. It will be interesting to see whether the Falcons maintain an interest in the three-time Pro Bowler, who has 40 career sacks. The Falcons might be better off targeting a pass-rusher such as Pernell McPhee from the Baltimore Ravens. He didn't start a game last season yet was productive with 7.5 sacks and 26 quarterback hits to go with 11 tackles for losses while playing 489 of 1,034 defensive snaps. The former fifth-round pick from Mississippi State made a modest $645,000 last season. McPhee, 26, will get a significant raise but won't force teams to break the bank. ... Adding just one capable pass-rusher won't be enough for the Falcons. They need to stockpile as many as possible. Two names worth monitoring on the free-agent market are Adrian Clayborn from Tampa Bay and O'Brien Schofield from Seattle."

8:42
AM ET
By Tom Carpenter | ESPN Insider
00COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
When the Dallas Cowboys made the expected decision Monday to use their franchise tag on Dez Bryant instead of DeMarco Murray, it put the futures of both Murray and the Cowboys backfield in flux.

Unless Murray unexpectedly re-signs with the Cowboys before the free-agent market opens in a week, Murray will be allowed to sign with any team he chooses. After leading the NFL in rushing in 2014, he is sure to find plenty of interested teams.

Ian Rapoport said on NFL Network Monday evening that the Colts, Cardinals, Jaguars and Seahawks (if Marshawn Lynch ends up retiring) are potential suitors for Murray.

The Jags and Colts have loads of cap space, so they are in position to make serious financial runs at several players. The Cardinals are in the middle of the pack when it comes to room under the cap, so they could at least make a play for Murray. Should Lynch call it quits, the Seahawks would have an extra $7 million worth of space.

We may well hear of more teams in the coming days that will take a swing at Murray. If the Cowboys fail to re-sign Murray, they are going to have to figure out a way to replace him in their backfield:

Todd Archer
Do Cowboys have replacements ready?
"The only current choices would be Joseph Randle or Ryan Williams. Randle's off-field issues hardly guarantee him a roster spot. Williams spent the year on the practice squad. Randle had just 51 carries in 2014 but he had 343 yards and three touchdowns. If the Cowboys can’t keep Murray, they must find another running back either in the draft or in free agency to replace the NFL’s reigning rushing champ."