Around The NFL

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I could tolerate Cro, but I don't think he's that great a fit. He knows Bowles' system, but he is older, has had injury issues (even if they weren't that bad last year), and he's beyond 30. Not ancient, but on the downside of a career. Plus, a corner whose game is about speed is more likely to decline after 30, particularly when having had a lower body injury.

I'd take Cro over nothing, but I'd take Maxwell over Cro. I think I may even take Revis over Cro, and I have reservations about him.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I don't see the love affair with Cromartie. It reminds me of the love affair fans had with Braylon Edwards. It's all about what he had done as a Jet in the past.

well to be fair, he played well last year in arizona under bowles. so it's not just pining for a former jet, but a player who seemed to thrive in bowles' system last year and who has indicated a strong interest in returning here to play for his former coach.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I could tolerate Cro, but I don't think he's that great a fit. He knows Bowles' system, but he is older, has had injury issues (even if they weren't that bad last year), and he's beyond 30. Not ancient, but on the downside of a career. Plus, a corner whose game is about speed is more likely to decline after 30, particularly when having had a lower body injury.

I'd take Cro over nothing, but I'd take Maxwell over Cro. I think I may even take Revis over Cro, and I have reservations about him.

all things being equal, yes, i'd take the younger and better CB.

but all things aren't equal. maxwell and revis will be involved in large bidding wars and there's no certainty either will sign with the jets. if cro wants to return on a reasonable contract, i think macc should lock him up quickly to add a starting caliber CB.

a bird in the hand is better than none

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
well to be fair, he played well last year in arizona under bowles. so it's not just pining for a former jet, but a player who seemed to thrive in bowles' system last year and who has indicated a strong interest in returning here to play for his former coach.

That's true, but with the true hole being for a #1 , would your rather allocate resources to bring in another #2 , and still have to spend more to fill a hole at #1 or leave it vacant, or spend more to bring in a legit #1 CB? If you're going to address CB, and you have second-tier talent but a gap at the top, why not go after top talent?

Metjetgal

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Dolphins will sign free agent Ndamukong Suh to a six-year deal worth roughly $114 million with $60 million guaranteed when the signing period opens on Tuesday.
It appears the rumor was true that Suh to Miami is already a done deal. More whispers circulated Sunday that the Chargers, Colts, Lions, and Jaguars have all dropped out of the running for Suh, with the Fins lapping them in financial proposals. The Lions will reset their sights on re-signing Nick Fairley, and probably C.J. Mosley as well. They'll be able to sign three defensive tackles for the price of one Suh, whom at $19 million to $20 million annually will essentially get franchise quarterback money from Miami.

S

sg3

Wow

114 million

60 million guaranteed

If true, it should make every Jet fan thank their stars that Tannenboob is gone and now ruining one of our division rivals.

jetfandreamer

Jets Groupie
Jet Fanatics
Sounds like Suh to the Dolphins. Better fortify the Oline. Geez.

Not that worried...for as good as he is...and he is..commanding a double team everyplay ..I think he has a little downside..from intangibles standpoint....Jets played Detroit last year..he did not dominate game....

S

sg3

Not that worried...for as good as he is...and he is..commanding a double team everyplay ..I think he has a little downside..from intangibles standpoint....Jets played Detroit last year..he did not dominate game....
114 mill, 60 mill guaranteed....when it comes to negotiating cap crippling big splash deals, Tannenboob is KING

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Wow

114 million

60 million guaranteed

If true, it should make every Jet fan thank their stars that Tannenboob is gone and now ruining one of our division rivals.

And McCoy getting $16 mill this season from the Bills is insane. That's just a position unless they're AP I dont pay QB money. Give me a break on $16 mill. He's a Marshall Faulk type, I dont deny the kid's talent and he's 26, but he's not aaron rodgers.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
It's crazy money, but what was to be expected. Suh, despite his temper, is a great player.

Miami just got really good up front.

He's essentially replacing odrick, who was no walk in the park last year. It is a huge upgrade at the position, and I'll enjoy watching him twice a year, to be honest. It'll be another player in our division I'll be excited to see (I will always look forward to watching Sammy Watkins, even if I hope he has a bad game he's a cool player to watch, I'll feel the same way about Suh, he'll be an opposing player I'll enjoy watching when we're on offense).

I think jets need to counter with a big lineman signing. Franklin or Carpenter at OG would really give Mangold some help.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Report: Jets think Bilal Powell leaning toward joining Rex in Buffalo

Posted by Josh Alper on March 8, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
New York Jets v Kansas City Chiefs
Getty Images
The new deal for LeSean McCoy may not be the only one the Bills give a running back this offseason.

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports that the Jets would like to re-sign Bilal Powell, but that they think he’s “leaning” toward following former Jets head coach Rex Ryan to Buffalo. Powell has spent his entire four-year NFL career with the Jets after they made him a fourth-round pick in 2011.

Powell ran the ball 33 times last season, a big drop from the previous two seasons, and caught 11 passes while maintaining a role in the team’s offense because he was their best pass blocker at running back. That skill would come in handy as a complement to McCoy, although it would make for a crowded running back room in Buffalo.

Fred Jackson, Anthony Dixon and Bryce Brown are already on hand behind McCoy and five tailbacks would be a lot for even Ryan’s beloved ground and pound approach to moving the football. Should Powell land in Buffalo, there would likely be other moves to follow as the Bills try to build an offense that doesn’t look like it will put too much on the plate of quarterbacks Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel.

As for the Jets, Mehta reports Shane Vereen as a potential target if Powell departs and they may be in the market for other running mates for Chris Ivory in the backfield.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports the 49ers believe free agent Frank Gore is heading elsewhere.
Owner Jed York is on the record as expecting to keep Gore, but he's now been connected to the Eagles and Colts. It appears the soon-to-be 31 year old is finding more coin elsewhere. Gore is reportedly seeking $4 million per year, which is what the Saints gave Mark Ingram on Saturday.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
ESPN's Adam Caplan confirms that the Jaguars are the heavy favorites for free agent Julius Thomas, and that the Raiders are likely out of the bidding.
Per Caplan, the Jags are "trying to give Blake Bortles as much help as they can." Thomas, albeit injury prone, would be a nice addition to a corps of skill players already heavy on young talent at receiver.
Related: Jaguars, Raiders

Shane Vereen - RB - Patriots
The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Jets have identified free agent Shane Vereen as a potential target if they can't re-sign Bilal Powell.
Why is Bilal Powell standing in the way of more talented players? We have no idea. But the Jets really want him back, and the Bills are reportedly set to make a run at him as well. Just on talent alone, Vereen blows Powell out of the water. He'd be an ideal complement to big-bodied bruiser Chris Ivory.
Related: Jets

Jerry Hughes - DL - Bills
The Buffalo News reports the Bills' negotiations with free agent Jerry Hughes are expected to come to a head on Sunday.
In other words, it's the moment of truth in the sides' talks. Yahoo's Charles Robinson has reported that Hughes is expected to remain in Buffalo, but perhaps he'll be ready to test the open market come hell or high water if the sides can't bridge their differences by Sunday. With Ndamukong Suh, Justin Houston and Jason Pierre-Paul all already spoken for, Hughes would be in for a pretty penny in free agency.

Julius Thomas - TE - Broncos
Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports Julius Thomas is expected to sign with the Jaguars, and the deal is "just about done."
Signs have been pointing to this for awhile, though we're not huge fans of the move from a fantasy perspective. Thomas will be a monster upgrade for Blake Bortles, but his overall fantasy stock would take a hit moving on from Peyton Manning. Expect Thomas and the Jaguars to sew this up Tuesday afternoon.
Related: Jaguars

Darrelle Revis - DB - Patriots
Yahoo's Charles Robinson reports Darrelle Revis is "down to the Patriots or Jets."
Revis isn't technically a free agent, but he can become one on Monday if the Patriots decline his $12.5 million option bonus. The Pats want to keep Revis, but the Jets may offer him more money. Coming off a Super Bowl win, 29-year-old Revis will likely be deciding between winning and a little more cash.

Jared Odrick - DL - Dolphins
Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the Jaguars "are turning their attention" to free agent DT Jared Odrick.
This comes after the Jaguars lost out to the Dolphins for Ndamukong Suh, who will reportedly ink a $114 million deal with Miami on Tuesday. Odrick is in the next tier of free-agent defensive tackles, though he's obviously several notches below Suh talent-wise. Odrick is expected to have plenty of suitors.
Related: Jaguars

Mike Iupati - G - 49ers
The St. Paul Pioneer Press reports the Vikings have reached out to free agent LG Mike Iupati.
The Vikings are dead-set on improving their offensive line, and Iupati is the biggest name available. He's reportedly seeking $8-9 million per year. Minnesota released LG Charles Johnson earlier this offseason and have no in-house replacement. Iupati could help stabilize to-date first-round bust LT Matt Kalil.
Related: Vikings

Jermey Parnell - T - Cowboys
Free agent RT Jermey Parnell has drawn interest from the Jets.
Parnell's market has been developing the past couple days, with the Jets joining the Redskins, Bucs, Jaguars, and Titans having been linked to the 29-year-old. Parnell has never been a full-time starter in the league, as he has just seven starts under his belt since 2009. But he's going to be paid like one.
Source

Taylor Mays - DB - Bengals
The Vikings have reached out to free agent S Taylor Mays.
Coach Mike Zimmer salvaged Mays' career in Cincinnati, and could put him to use as a dime linebacker and special teamer in Minnesota. He wouldn't start.
Related: Vikings
Source: Matt Vensel on Twitter

Orlando Franklin - G - Broncos
The Philadelphia Inquirer's Jeff McLane reports the Eagles are interested in free agent G/T Orlando Franklin.
Franklin is one of the top blockers available and is expected to have a robust market due to his ability to play either guard spot and right tackle. In Philadelphia, he'd replace Todd Herremans at right guard. Franklin has also been linked to the Chargers. He's right behind Mike Iupati among free-agent guards.
Related: Eagles
Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter

Frank Gore - RB - 49ers
CSN Bay Area reports the Colts and free agent Frank Gore have "mutual interest in working toward a contract."
This isn't the first we've heard of a possible Colts-Gore union, and we like the fit. The Colts are legit Super Bowl contenders with Andrew Luck, and Gore is looking for $4 million per year on what will likely be his final contract. GM Ryan Grigson has been known to overpay, whether that's on him or owner Jim Irsay. Coach Chuck Pagano loves his former Miami Hurricanes, and Gore fits the bill.
Related: Colts

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
That's true, but with the true hole being for a [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] , would your rather allocate resources to bring in another [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] , and still have to spend more to fill a hole at [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or leave it vacant, or spend more to bring in a legit [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] CB? If you're going to address CB, and you have second-tier talent but a gap at the top, why not go after top talent?

because there is no certainty you can land a #1 CB. revis is still mevis and maxwell is probably the most sought after CB on the market.

cro showed last year he can still play and will be able to start at CB. calling it a #1 , #2 whatever isn't that relevant. we need someone who can start if milliner doesn't prove able to stay healthy or be a starter (same for mcdougle).

again, i'm only signing cro for a team-friendly deal. he's not getting kareem jackson money (let alone revis or maxwell). a 2 or 3 year deal should probably work for him

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
because there is no certainty you can land a #1 CB. revis is still mevis and maxwell is probably the most sought after CB on the market.

cro showed last year he can still play and will be able to start at CB. calling it a #1 , #2 whatever isn't that relevant. we need someone who can start if milliner doesn't prove able to stay healthy or be a starter (same for mcdougle).

again, i'm only signing cro for a team-friendly deal. he's not getting kareem jackson money (let alone revis or maxwell). a 2 or 3 year deal should probably work for him

Well, you take anyone who can fill a need if he's willing to sign a "team-friendly deal."

But Cromartie would not be my top priority, and I wouldn't look that seriously at him unless his market was heating up, or Maxwell and Revis were off the market.