Around The NFL

F

flgreen

Kimberley A. Martin 5m
While the #Bills have several coaches that drafted him, Bilal Powell told me: "I think this is the best fit for me." #jets
Beat Writer / Columnist

F

flgreen

So much crap then that he was going to buffalo. I'm assuming Spiller doesn't come to NY now

Still need a speed back. RB rich draft might be the place to do that. Would love Duke Johnson in the 4th....... If he lasts that long

F

flgreen

Brendan Prophett's Goal: Help Jets Get Better
Posted 1 hour ago

Randy Lange
Editor-in-Chief, newyorkjets.com
@rlangejets Blog: Randy's Radar
Pro Personnel Director Has Helped Set Up Maccagnan, Bowles & Co. for Tuesday Start of Free Agency

All the 1,000-plus reports have long been filed and taken apart and put back together. The value board has been set up for the frenzy of activity just ahead.

The Jets are well-prepared for the start of ... the unrestricted free agency signing period that starts Tuesday afternoon.

"From the standpoint of grading and evaluating players, a lot of the heavy lifting is done," said Brendan Prophett, who has begun his 16th season in the Jets front office and his ninth as our director of pro personnel. "In your preparation, you create alternative options. Free agency is unpredictable. Things do happen fast. You have to have the ability to adjust on the fly. If your top-rated player comes off the board, who's next? Does he help us, does he upgrade us? Ultimately you're looking to get better."

It's interesting to hear "Proph" talk of free agency in terms that draftniks are familiar with, because there are similarities between the two pursuits as the Jets and other NFL teams practice them at this time of year.

Such as the Jets' free agency value board.

"On our board there are probably 560 guys," he said. "That's restricted and unrestricted free agents, cap cuts and potential cap cuts. That's when you set your board initially. It's set not totally different than a college board. We stack them by grades, and that helps determine what value you you have on them, what type of financial resources you're willing to commit to a player."

And who makes up the names on the Jets' big board? The list is culled from the entire league.

"In this process you're going to be looking at guys coming off their first deals — unrestricted free agents with four or more years, restricted free agents with three years under their belts — and obviously veterans coming off their second deals," Prophett said. "So we generate yearly evaluations on every active NFL player."

And like virtually every other NFL endeavor, preparing for free agency heats up at a certain point on the calendar — scouting all the league's players beginning on opening weekend of the regular season. But for those involved in free agency, there really is no offseason. Positional meetings begin in late November, the board begins to be set up after the start of the new year. And then ...

"This spring I'll work on some of our 2014 non-opponents who weren't free agents," Prophett explained. "For instance, we didn't play a certain team, but we're going to evaluate that team's entire roster. And that can generate an impression of one of that team's players who might be coming up in free agency next year. It lets me see how a player played this year off of my previous exposure to him. So it is a year-long process."

The process can be altered, of course, especially when a new front office leader enters the building, such as when Jets owner Woody Johnson hired Mike Maccagnan as his new general manager in January. But Prophett said the transition has been smooth.

"Mike's been great," he said. "He's come in and kind of guided us through some it, but things were far enough along to where he was able to say, 'I'm going to insert myself into the process, I'm not going to make huge changes in the structure of how you do things, but I am going to provide some insights and opinions and highlight those positions we're going to look to address in free agency.' "

Prophett has had a rich career in the game. He was a wide receiver in college at Maine and The College of New Jersey, then professionally in Germany and in the Arena League, before interning with the NFL Management Council in 2000. He spent five seasons as a Jets college scout, one as a pro scout and one as assistant director of pro scouting.

Each year it's Prophett's aim to help the Jets improve and this year he's teaming up for the first time with Maccagnan and new head coach Todd Bowles during this important stretch on the NFL calendar.

"Really, this is the first chance of a new season to begin to retool your roster, so it's exciting," Prophett said. "I think collectively you feel a lot of excitement and gratification because a lot of hard work went into it and it encompasses a lot of different departments — personnel to administration to coaching to operations. The entire building plays a role in it.

"When you sign a player, you feel like you've taken a step forward in improving the overall talent and depth on your roster. You feel like you've gotten better. And that's the goal."

F

flgreen

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Follow
Titans are signing former Falcons WR Harry Douglas to a 3-year deal, per source.
12:59 PM - 10 Mar 2015

F

flgreen

The reports have been from the start the Jets want Powell more than Spilller.

Powell is one of the more under rated players on the team. Very consistent, gets his 4 yards per carry, good blocker, good receiver, never fumbles.

Well worth 5 million on a one year deal

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Will you scout guys take it easy with all the love? We'll have the other guys think we were running a Jets men's dating site.

F

flgreen

Davon House CB my sleeper FA was just snagged by the Jags.:smiley-angry046:

Go Jets...Cyborg

I hate to say this, but it looks like it's Revis or bust. Don't trust Revis enough to go that route. Hope Beli isn't going to school our rookie GM. Really pulling for Culliver before 4 pm

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Not better just parts more acceptable I do have muck respect for you Sack.

My muck respects you, too, Nick.

No, seriously, I hold you and all the old scout guys who have made their way here, as well as those still coming over from the interim board, in the highest regard. I'm thrilled with the community, and with so many of us over here.

F

flgreen

Albert Breer 11m
What the Jets have going for them with Revis: Scheme, NYC, $$$$, face of franchise, face of football in biggest market.
TV / Radio Personality

F

flgreen

Brad Biggs ✔ @BradBiggs
Follow
One source said #Bears & #Falcons are most involved for #Chiefs S Ron Parker at this point. Not sure how close it is but FA opens in 3 hours
12:57 PM - 10 Mar 2015

F

flgreen

Aaron Leming @AaronLemingNFL
Follow
Being told #Bears could add two safeties. So far, team hot on Ron Parker & Antrel Rolle.
1:26 PM - 10 Mar 2015

F

flgreen

Ralph Vacchiano ✔ @RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
Shane Vereen has agreed to terms what I've heard will be a four-year deal with the Giants. Could be worth more than $16 million total.
1:48 PM - 10 Mar 2015

F

flgreen

Ralph Vacchiano ✔ @RVacchianoNYDN
Follow
Shane Vereen has agreed to terms what I've heard will be a four-year deal with the Giants. Could be worth more than $16 million total.
1:48 PM - 10 Mar 2015

4 mil. Good deal for the Giants