Around The NFL

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Sirius said the rumor is the Jets and Tampa have talked to the Saints about Brees, but no one even knows if the rumors are true, let alone if it was anything beyond casual conversation.

i'm posting this with a giant TIFWIW

i just got a flash email (sent to probably hundreds of people) from a trader (bond and loan) that i deal with at work from a large bank.

HEARING TALK OF THE SAINTS TRADING DREW BREES TO THE TAMPA BAY
BUCS FOR THE 1ST OVERALL PICK.....WHO KNOWS IF LEGIT OR NOT,
JUST SOMETHING OUT THERE THO

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I like Cro but he will be 31 this year and we invested a low 1st round pick on Milliner.
I hope the new coaching staff will give Milliner a chance to prove himself this year.

Machina Verde

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
i'm posting this with a giant TIFWIW

i just got a flash email (sent to probably hundreds of people) from a trader (bond and loan) that i deal with at work from a large bank.

HEARING TALK OF THE SAINTS TRADING DREW BREES TO THE TAMPA BAY
BUCS FOR THE 1ST OVERALL PICK.....WHO KNOWS IF LEGIT OR NOT,
JUST SOMETHING OUT THERE THO

So would that mean Winston to the Saints?

J

Jet Setter

I like Cro but he will be 31 this year and we invested a low 1st round pick on Milliner.
I hope the new coaching staff will give Milliner a chance to prove himself this year.

Milliner was the #9 pick in the draft...not a low 1st.

J

Jet Setter

So would that mean Winston to the Saints?

Or Mariota.

The Saints were seen spending a lot of time with Winston at the combine.

The move would save the cap-hell bound Saints 19M this year and 20M next year. Brees is 36. They already unloaded Graham.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo was talking about this yesterday. He said the Saints did indeed meet with Winston at the combine and may be interested as part of a rebuilding effort.

Question is how many good years Brees has left and would you give up a potential franchise QB in his young 20's for an established franchise guy well into his 30's.

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I think you guys are jumping the gun a bit. We haven't seen Cro's deal which could be for 1-year for all we know. I wouldn't be so itchy to unload a 23-year old CB on his rookie contract picked in the top 10 when you have two starting CB's on the north side of 30 when the season starts.

+1
There is no saying that Milliner isn't in the plans, but we need insurance right now. Both potentially starting CB's are on the back side of their careers and if Milliner cn stay healthy he may be uprooting one of them for the starting spot in a year or so.

J

Jet Setter

What would you consider a low 1st round pick then??
I consider anything under 10 a low pick.
I guess its a matter of opinion.

Jesus.
A low pick would be in the 20's to 30's. A high pick in the top 10. A mid anywhere in the teens. A pick below the top third isn't even the lowest half. Where's your logic?
On a scale of 1 being the highest pick, this is how things are conveyed. Unless you want to change the rules.

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
Jesus.
A low pick would be in the 20's to 30's. A high pick in the top 10. A mid anywhere in the teens. A pick below the top third isn't even the lowest half. Where's your logic?
On a scale of 1 being the highest pick, this is how things are conveyed. Unless you want to change the rules.

I meant low being low in number (1-10).
You misunderstood me.
We are on the same page if you mean high (1-10).

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
i don't think you could get a 3rd for him. i think it's more like a 5th or 6th, given his injury history and him coming off a torn achillies.

i would rather let him take his time healing and give him a shot in bowles CB-heavy defense and let him learn from revis and maybe cro. hope that he shows progress and can either become a useful player, if not a starter, down the road, or at the least, build some trade value.

now if someone offered me a 3rd, i guess i would strongly consider it (assuming we add another CB like cro). but even still, revis (and cro) are on the wrong side of 30, skrine is probably best suited for slot, mcdougle is probably even a greater question mark, and while williams looked good late last year, i'm not ready to give up on a talented CB like milliner because of his presence.

+1 Semi agree ! Dee Milliner is only 22 years old because he skipped his senior year. He is by far the 2nd most talented CB on the Jets behind only Revis. And with Revis over 30, I'd give Dee all the time he needs to fully recover from an Achilles injury. No way in Hell, am I trading a 6 foot 22 year old CB that to this day Nick Saban is saying is the best CB he has ever coached. Watch him on tape, this kid is still a player going forward.

Go Jets...Cyborg

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
didn't see it posted elsewhere, but interesting little tidbit from cimini:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

Before finalizing a deal with former Seattle Seahawk, Maccagnan was deep into negotiations with the top two guards on the market, Mike Iupati and Orlando Franklin. The Jets offered to make Iupati the highest-paid guard in the league, but he took less money from the Arizona Cardinals because he wanted to stay close to his home in the West. He still did nicely -- five years, $40 million. It was the same situation with Franklin. He took less from the San Diego Chargers (five years, $35 million) because he wanted to reunite with his former Denver Broncos coordinator, coach Mike McCoy. Obviously, Maccagnan wasn't sitting on his hands during the Revis negotiations, as had been suggested

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
+1 Semi agree ! Dee Milliner is only 22 years old because he skipped his senior year. He is by far the 2nd most talented CB on the Jets behind only Revis. And with Revis over 30, I'd give Dee all the time he needs to fully recover from an Achilles injury. No way in Hell, am I trading a 6 foot 22 year old CB that to this day Nick Saban is saying is the best CB he has ever coached. Watch him on tape, this kid is still a player going forward.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Well, I'll politely disagree on most talented.

Last year, Cromartie ran a 4.34 at the training facility, is 6'2 210 lbs, and has actually produced at the NFL level.

Milliner is shorter, slower, smaller 22 year old than Cromartie that hasn't done anything but get roasted in the NFL field but for 4 weeks in December 2 years ago... Milliner will never be as athletic as Cromartie, I dont care if Cromartie is 40.

Here's Cromartie calling out his critics than busting out the 4.34:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362292/article/antonio-cromartie-calls-out-critics-flashes-40-speed

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
didn't see it posted elsewhere, but interesting little tidbit from cimini:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/

Before finalizing a deal with former Seattle Seahawk, Maccagnan was deep into negotiations with the top two guards on the market, Mike Iupati and Orlando Franklin. The Jets offered to make Iupati the highest-paid guard in the league, but he took less money from the Arizona Cardinals because he wanted to stay close to his home in the West. He still did nicely -- five years, $40 million. It was the same situation with Franklin. He took less from the San Diego Chargers (five years, $35 million) because he wanted to reunite with his former Denver Broncos coordinator, coach Mike McCoy. Obviously, Maccagnan wasn't sitting on his hands during the Revis negotiations, as had been suggested

Thanks for finding that.

When the roller coaster constantly changes from "this Macc guy's a genius" to "this Macc guy's a joke", it's nice to hear some objective facts to remind us there are legitimate reasons why we don't always get what we want . . .

J

Jet Setter

Free agent DB Ron Parker will visit the Bears on Wednesday.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

Mar 11 - 12:25 PM

J

Jet Setter

I noticed a report mentioning the Jets having interest in OG Clint Boling. I wonder if this was before or after the Carpenter signing. Boling re-signed with his old team in Cincy. Vikings were also interested.

I was hoping to see interest in OT Joe Barksdale from STL, someone maybe better suited for RG. The Rams believe the can re-sign him as the market has been cold to him. He's a major mauler.

TurboJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics

Go Jets...Cyborg

Exactly what I was thinking Cy

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
What happened to James Carpenter?

Did that deal fall apart, and are there any other OG's out there who would represent a significant upgrade?

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Derrick Morgan - LB - Free Agent
The Cowboys are reportedly "trying to get in" to the bidding on free agent DE Derrick Morgan.
Morgan is currently visiting the Falcons and is scheduled to meet with the Buccaneers next, so this appears to have become a three-way competition. 26-year-old Morgan is one of the top free agent pass rushers left unsigned.
Related: Cowboys