COMBINE...THIS WEEK, Ladies and Gents

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Cooper has an amazing feel for the position. He knows how to run routes, set players up, find open seams, etc. On the heels of the combine this kind of stuff gets so lost in the shuffle. If the Raiders took White at 4 and left Cooper for us at 6, I would be ecstatic. It would also be such a "Raiders" kind of move to pass up the gamer for the shinier toy.

Also lost is Cooper reportedly has huge hands. This is why he's so good getting the ball in traffic and on fade routes.

Vice grip hands like Cotchery used to have.

LIJETFAN

G ~ Mod
Jet Fanatics
Finally found my way to this board. I get concerned about guys that blow it up at the combine who had one productive year in college. I am not saying White isn't going to be a good player, but he really only had one good season. He obviously has game-breaking speed. Cooper is a better prospect in my opinion because he looks pro ready. I think Beckham Jr. was a better prospect then both of these guys. He was my choice last year if he was there. Parker looks talented but not a game-breaker.

I think the Jets have a lot of options at 6. If Mariota is there, and they decide not to draft him, that would be a surprise. They could move back, but they would need to get a great deal to do it. They could draft him with the idea of trading him during the draft too, that's a possibility. Next year's QB class is much deeper than this year's class, so the Jets might be willing to wait. But, they need to build out the rest of the roster so that a new QB can step in and not have to be Aaron Rodgers on day 1.

The best players in this draft that I have seen thus far on offense are: Winston, Mariota, Cooper, Melvin Gordon - then White and Parker. Defense is stacked - Waynes, Williams, all the OLBs all look talented, though Gregory looks too lean to me, he needs to bulk up. I can't see the Jets spending a top pick on a OL or D-lineman in this draft unless they move back. They won't draft another safety. My favorite player is Gordon. I think he has a chance to be a great RB in the league. But he doesn't have value anywhere near the 6th spot. If the Jets went back, I could see them drafting him.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Finally found my way to this board. I get concerned about guys that blow it up at the combine who had one productive year in college. I am not saying White isn't going to be a good player, but he really only had one good season. He obviously has game-breaking speed. Cooper is a better prospect in my opinion because he looks pro ready. I think Beckham Jr. was a better prospect then both of these guys. He was my choice last year if he was there. Parker looks talented but not a game-breaker.

I think the Jets have a lot of options at 6. If Mariota is there, and they decide not to draft him, that would be a surprise. They could move back, but they would need to get a great deal to do it. They could draft him with the idea of trading him during the draft too, that's a possibility. Next year's QB class is much deeper than this year's class, so the Jets might be willing to wait. But, they need to build out the rest of the roster so that a new QB can step in and not have to be Aaron Rodgers on day 1.

The best players in this draft that I have seen thus far on offense are: Winston, Mariota, Cooper, Melvin Gordon - then White and Parker. Defense is stacked - Waynes, Williams, all the OLBs all look talented, though Gregory looks too lean to me, he needs to bulk up. I can't see the Jets spending a top pick on a OL or D-lineman in this draft unless they move back. They won't draft another safety. My favorite player is Gordon. I think he has a chance to be a great RB in the league. But he doesn't have value anywhere near the 6th spot. If the Jets went back, I could see them drafting him.

great to see you finally make it over here.

looks like we should have plenty of good options with our pick. that's all we can really ask for at this point.

jets82

Curious George
Jet Fanatics
He did?

White 4.35
Cooper 4.42
Parker 4.45
Beckham 4.49 (6'6 237 lbs)

Perriman hasn't run yet at 6'3 215.
Ok so he was 3 mili seconds (if thats the correct way to say it) behind Cooper. Doesn't matter really does it? Point being is Cooper, White and Parker are all beast WRs and deserving of their top three claims and top ten draft picks. Would Cooper or White work better for us, probably so but I would have no issue with the Jets drafting Parker at #6 if Cooper and White are gonehttp://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6. Beckham is the wild-card that I wouldn't agree with drafting at #6 because of all his issues off the field. Now Beckham may turn out to be the best of all of them in the long run (Randy Moss type talent I'm told) but he is a head case like Moss and not worth the risk at #6 . Late first at best but more like a second rounder to me. This Perriman kid I have no clue of so he can be another option but not at #6 .

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Daniel Jeremiah had Byron Jones in his top 50 overall(#50) prior to the Combine, and after his performance, he may find his way into round one. I've been reading that Tony Pauline is high on him as well. For the Jets, any cb should be on our radar.

Elias

The Invisible Man
Big Fish
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global

Welcome. Glad you had the time to check this place out. Great first post, I look forward to reading more from you. :smiley-cool11:

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Interesting stat on the WR's. I think that's why you take the QB if you need one. They are just so much more valuable. With that said, if both QB's are gone and White or Cooper are sitting there, they may be the best value at that point.

I think Cooper is a top line #1 from the jump in the NFL. He's savvy and knows how to play the game.

If Mariota and Cooper are sitting there at 6? Mariota

Mariota vs Beasley (who I think is the best OLB in the draft)? Mariota

Mariota is gone and it's Cooper vs Beasley? I take Cooper by a hair but I would be happy with either.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I'm not a CFB guy, but I can't imagine taking a "top" WR over a "top" pass rusher.

Unless you guys are telling me there's a substantial difference in potential, I'm taking the pass rusher every time . . .

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
I'm not a CFB guy, but I can't imagine taking a "top" WR over a "top" pass rusher.

Unless you guys are telling me there's a substantial difference in potential, I'm taking the pass rusher every time . . .

one thing to keep in mind is that most top "pass rushers" coming out of college are guys best suited to be 4-3 DEs (or 3-4 DEs). the jets are looking for a rush OLB, which in most cases means transitioning someone who played DE in college to a 3-4 OLB in the pros. obviously this has worked for many, but it is a concern when you just say "take the pass rusher"

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics

I agree but we have neglected the offense so badly in recent years in the draft. We are a rare exception to this rule.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
one thing to keep in mind is that most top "pass rushers" coming out of college are guys best suited to be 4-3 DEs (or 3-4 DEs). the jets are looking for a rush OLB, which in most cases means transitioning someone who played DE in college to a 3-4 OLB in the pros. obviously this has worked for many, but it is a concern when you just say "take the pass rusher"

Well, that's no different than deciding if Mariota could fit in our offense. People say "just keep drafting a QB until you hit on one", but it's pointless to draft one you don't think will fit your scheme/philosophy. Likewise, I'm not saying draft a pass rusher by taking a name out of a hat, but seeing as we haven't had one since J Abraham, I think it's safe to say we've undervalued the position.

All things being equal, I still take the elite pass rusher over the elite WR every day of the week.

I agree but we have neglected the offense so badly in recent years in the draft. We are a rare exception to this rule.

But haven't we neglected the pass rush as well? As much as Stephen Hill flopped, he was an All-Star compared to Gholston.

If you go into a draft with a shot at Dez Bryant or Demarcus Ware, I'm all in with the latter.

(Although, truth be told I'd take the dominant OL over the WR also, so I guess I just have a bias against the position . . .)