COMBINE...THIS WEEK, Ladies and Gents

NickSINYC

Veteran
Jet Fanatics
He struggled at times, but I am projecting him to take to it with an off-season to digest everything he was asked to do last year. Rex moved him around so much, I don't blame him if his head was spinning a bit. I look for AA to bounce back with some good positional coaching, which I suspect he got very little of last year.

Rex messed him up badly last season. I agree with your assessment.

F

flgreen

He struggled at times, but I am projecting him to take to it with an off-season to digest everything he was asked to do last year. Rex moved him around so much, I don't blame him if his head was spinning a bit. I look for AA to bounce back with some good positional coaching, which I suspect he got very little of last year.

Agree

In the second half of 2013 Allen had a break out season. Did an exceptional job on some excellent TE's . Last season, after Idzik left the team naked at CB , Allen was the best cover guy on the team. They tried to make him a CB on the fly. It was formula for disaster. He just didn't have the to end speed.

At the end of the season, as you said, when they tried to move him back to S, his head was spinning. Think he is going to be fine S

F

flgreen

Rex messed him up badly last season. I agree with your assessment.

There is a lot to blame Rex for. That isn't one of them. The Jets were left in such a horrific CB situation last year Ryan had no choice. he was actually the best cover guy on the team.

He actually played pretty well his first few games until teams figured out he couldn't run deep with fast WR's

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Hey Pointdexter - watch the Panthers take DGB.

I think they would build a very scary team if that were the case. DGB, KB, Olson, Cam, those are four giant men and huge talents. You would worry they would be a bad influence on each other off the field, but on it they would be something to watch. Few teams would have the horses to physically match up on defense. I could see them also going with a premier RB like Gurley. Carolina is very close to being a super bowl contender, in my opinion.

G

GratefulJet

I think they would build a very scary team if that were the case. DGB, KB, Olson, Cam, those are four giant men and huge talents. You would worry they would be a bad influence on each other off the field, but on it they would be something to watch. Few teams would have the horses to physically match up on defense. I could see them also going with a premier RB like Gurley. Carolina is very close to being a super bowl contender, in my opinion.

Imagine if they had that group and didn't lose Steve Smith. :waving-white-flag:

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Carolina has a very steady defense that plays elite at times. While am is an erratic thrower, those two beasts on the outside would give him a lot of room for error. Also, KB and Cam are like brothers. They live together during the season and lived together last offseason. They even took days off together to Atlanta. I wasnt high on benjamin during the draft evaluation process, but I was much more impressed following his career in the pros. his connection to Cam is like brothers at this point and he works very hard in the offseason. I think he and Cam would be positive influences on DGB, IMO. They may do it "their way," but their way keeps Benjamin and Cam out of trouble, so I think it would be a healthy environment for DGB. I actually think its a good match for him but a bad match up for the NFL. I dont think any team has 2 CBs that match up well with those 2 and Olsen is awesome across the middle.

I think they need a RB too, but i dont know if they take one rd 1...if they got DGB rd 1 and Yeldon later on (rd 2) and maybe spent some cap room on oline, I think they would be hard to stop for a long time (they're currently $3 mill over the cap, so they'd have to make room). Their D is a young unit as well.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Imagine if they had that group and didn't lose Steve Smith. :waving-white-flag:

It was time to hand the reigns to Cam, and he wasnt having it. He was a malcontent, and the team had to move on. His mouth was too big for Charlotte, but fits baltimore perfectly.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Ahhhh, mariota still throwing at the combine but Winston may be backing out...

Marcus Mariota says his biggest adjustment will be huddling

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 19, 2015, 2:32 PM EST
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptjhmgvhytjmmjc3mwq2zgq4mdg3mmu4odblzdc3nzew
AP
Marcus Mariota says his biggest adjustment going from Oregon to the NFL won’t be the speed of the pro game, or the longer season or the more intense practice schedule. The biggest difference will be learning to command a huddle.

Speaking to reporters at the Scouting Combine, Mariota said that after running a no-huddle offense in college, he needs to learn how to call plays in a huddle.

“It’s gonna be huddling — I haven’t huddled in a while,” Mariota said. “It seems like a little detail, but that is kind of a big thing.”

Mariota also acknowledged that Oregon’s offense didn’t prepare him to be the classic dropback passer that NFL teams look for, but he believes he has already made progress in learning that during his pre-Combine work with coaches including Kevin O’Connell, who recently became the quarterbacks coach of the Browns.

“There are other things as well, as far as the three, five, seven-step drops under center, that’s all stuff I’ve been able to work on in the last month and will continue to work on,” Mariota said.

Mariota has confirmed that he will throw at the Combine, so he can show off how well he works on those three, five and seven-step drops. As for commanding a huddle, he won’t be able to show off what he can do there until after he’s drafted.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
really no reason for winston to throw at the combine. he has nothing to gain by throwing. whether he's taken #1 or not will almost completely depend on if TB is satisfied with his off-field issues.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Good for Mariota. If Jameis backs out, absent of an injury, it will not look good around the league and only further the perception that Mariota is someone you can better count on.

In sum, it would be a huge mistake by JW and his agent not to throw at this point.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
really no reason for winston to throw at the combine. he has nothing to gain by throwing. whether he's taken [URL=http://nyjetsfanatics.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=1]#1 [/URL] or not will almost completely depend on if TB is satisfied with his off-field issues.

Just interested he would back out after committing. Also interesting mariota would need to throw to improve his draft stock...when he declared everyone assumed he would go #1 , now he needs to throw well and show off his 1 month of footwork to warrant top 10, and most people who think he goes top 10 are saying that because someone outside the top 10 (Cleveland or Philly) will trade up to get him. I think how this is playing out is interesting, sir.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Good for Mariota. If Jameis backs out, absent of an injury, it will not look good around the league and only further the perception that Mariota is someone you can better count on.

In sum, it would be a huge mistake by JW and his agent not to throw at this point.

I agree with both of you. Hobson in that he doesn't "need" to throw, but with you that it is a minor white flag, like Mariota is throwing but you backed out after saying you would. It doesnt impact if you draft him or not, just that Winston would only throw in a controlled pro day setting rather than a coach driven combine setting for the entire world to see. It's interesting.

M

Matriculator

Easy there! Winston played every game in his career at FSU. No injury concerns.

Hobson's right. He shouldn't actually throw until his pro day where he can dictate the routines and throws. He's not auditioning as much as everyone else. He's standing on his body of work and his biggest concern are the interviews.

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 2h2 hours ago

Miami OT Ereck Flowers had 37 reps on the bench press. Big, strong kid. Only player I know of w/out agent at combine.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 4h4 hours ago

Amari Cooper had only 6 drops in his final year at Alabama in 130 catchable passes.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 4h4 hours ago

WR Kevin White had 8 drops (116 catchable balls) in final season at WVU.

This isn't good. He's closer to TE weight than WR.

Gil Brandt @Gil_Brandt · 7h7 hours ago

WR Dorial Green-Beckham came in at 237 pounds. Played at 225 at Mizzou. #NFLCombine

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
He's almost 6'6 and people had the same weight concerns about Benjamin last year...he weighed 243

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
He's almost 6'6 and people had the same weight concerns about Benjamin last year...he weighed 243

We'll see if it affects his speed at all. Coming in 12 pounds heavier than your playing weight always makes me question work ethic. Now, if it's not a majority of body fat, then, it's not much of an issue. IMO, he just didn't need to add something to his list of concerns. Benjamin wasn't a character risk.