COMBINE...THIS WEEK, Ladies and Gents

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I think they would build a very scary team if that were the case. DGB, KB, Olson, Cam, those are four giant men and huge talents. You would worry they would be a bad influence on each other off the field, but on it they would be something to watch. Few teams would have the horses to physically match up on defense. I could see them also going with a premier RB like Gurley. Carolina is very close to being a super bowl contender, in my opinion.

The word down here is that the Panthers want La'el Collins LT LSU and will wait until the 2nd round to snag another WR. Doubt Jerry Richardson will go WR two years in a row.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Would you take Mariota #6 , 51? I see so much Geno in his game it scares the hell out of me. Whether its Geno, RG3, or Mariota, it apparent the learning curve is high for Spread/read option QBs...

If there was no blockbuster trade on the table(from Philly or Cleveland), I would. We need to keep trying to get a franchise qb. I'm not as down on Geno as most, as I think Gailey will be good for him, but I'm still not sure how much better he'll be. We can't keep waiting for X draft to go for a qb. If Winston is gone, Mariota offers the most upside of the remaining qb's. I would sit him for the 2015 season and start either Smith or the veteran we bring in. Come 2016, hopefully, Mariota would be ready to go. I also think Gailey's spread offense would be a good thing for him too.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
Nick would like him, 6'5 235 with the biggest arm in the draft...

He's from Ontario.

This guy is not good and will have a tough time making a roster. Accuracy is beyond atrocious and he doesn't have a natural feel for the game. I have seen him up close and he reminded me of a very raw EJ Manuel. And, yes, I think EJ Manuel's game is far from refined.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This guy is not good and will have a tough time making a roster. Accuracy is beyond atrocious and he doesn't have a natural feel for the game. I have seen him up close and he reminded me of a very raw EJ Manuel. And, yes, I think EJ Manuel's game is far from refined.

Sounds like the Thomas kid from Va-Tech last year :)

McJet

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
If there was no blockbuster trade on the table(from Philly or Cleveland), I would. We need to keep trying to get a franchise qb. I'm not as down on Geno as most, as I think Gailey will be good for him, but I'm still not sure how much better he'll be. We can't keep waiting for X draft to go for a qb. If Winston is gone, Mariota offers the most upside of the remaining qb's. I would sit him for the 2015 season and start either Smith or the veteran we bring in. Come 2016, hopefully, Mariota would be ready to go. I also think Gailey's spread offense would be a good thing for him too.

Right, If Geno does "get it" with Gaileys system and becomes a good, if not above average QB, then the very least the Jets have a trading chip down the line.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Randy Gregory - DL - Player
Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory measured 6-foot-4 7/8 and 235 pounds at the NFL Combine.
He's certainly light for an NFL edge rusher, and there are reportedly concerns among teams that Gregory might lack the capability of playing at 250-260 pounds. Either way, Gregory headlines a deep pass-rush group and projects as a top 5-10 pick. He can bend the edge and win with speed to power.

Breshad Perriman - WR - Player
UCF WR Breshad Perriman will sit out Combine drills due to a hamstring strain.
He'll work out for teams at UCF's March 25 Pro Day. A favorite of NFL Films' Greg Cosell, Perriman is big and fast and was productive in George O'Leary's pro-style offense. He jumped off the tape playing with Blake Bortles in 2013.

F

flgreen

Wake-up call: Friday at the combine

February, 20, 2015
Feb 20

6:00

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- A look at what to expect on Friday at the NFL combine from a New York Jets' perspective:

The Buzz: The big story will be Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston, widely projected as the likely No. 1 overall pick. His news conference, scheduled for Thursday, was postponed a day because he reportedly got delayed by routine medical testing and measuring. Believe it or not, it happens with so many prospects on the assembly line. As if he doesn't have enough issues to address, Winston will be asked about his weight fluctuation. He checked in at 231 pounds, 17 pounds lighter than he was before he started training for the combine. It certainly raises questions: If he finished the season at 248, what does that say about his dedication? That's a lot of crab legs.

Combine schedule: The offensive linemen and tight ends will be on the field at Lucas Oil Stadium for speed and skill tests. Iowa tackle Brandon Scherff raised some eyebrows Thursday, recording only 23 reps on the bench press. He's regarded by many as the top line prospect. ... The quarterbacks, running backs and wide receivers are scheduled for bench-press testing. ... The defensive linemen and linebackers will be weighed, measured and examined by doctors. They also will meet the media. ... The defensive backs arrive in town, the last position group to start the four-day gauntlet known as the scouting combine.

Players of interest: The Jets could be in the market for an edge rusher, and they will have their eye on 'tweener types such as Missouri's Shane Ray (6-foot-2, 240), Nebraska's Randy Gregory (6-foot-6, 245) and Florida's Derek Fowler, Jr. (6-foot-2, 271) -- all projected as first-round picks. It'll be interesting, especially for teams that run a 3-4 defense, to learn their actual height/weight numbers.

F

flgreen

B-S1Q3xIQAA11kT.jpgDon't usually like posts beating up on ex-Jets players or coaches, but this was to funny to pass up. Might be a good one for fill in the quote

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Gregory measuring in at 235lbs is a huge blow...makes Fowler a potential better system fit...

not sure if this is true. it could even work in our favor, as it will scare off teams looking at him as a 4-3 DE. assumedly we would look at him as a 3-4 OLB. so gregory may now be there when we pick, giving us another option. obviously the scouts/coaches will need to believe he can transition to OLB.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
not sure if this is true. it could even work in our favor, as it will scare off teams looking at him as a 4-3 DE. assumedly we would look at him as a 3-4 OLB. so gregory may now be there when we pick, giving us another option. obviously the scouts/coaches will need to believe he can transition to OLB.

Not sure if what is true? Here's his combine results from this AM:

Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory measured 6-foot-4 7/8 and 235 pounds at the NFL Combine

...good point I guess on it may make him fall to us, but reports are teams think he will have a hard time carrying weight and he'll never be a 250-260 OLB. Can they make that work? Maybe. he was a stud in college, I just wonder if our staff would have concerns of him at 235.

Pointdexter

Pro Bowl Alternate
Jet Fanatics
If we're going to take a 230 pound OLB then it should be Vic Beasley. He's a much more natural all-around athlete and has already shown the skill-set for LB. Also, the word on him is that his first step is elite and better than anyone else's at LB in this draft. His short shuttle will be very interesting to watch.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Not sure if what is true? Here's his combine results from this AM:

Nebraska DE/OLB Randy Gregory measured 6-foot-4 7/8 and 235 pounds at the NFL Combine

...good point I guess on it may make him fall to us, but reports are teams think he will have a hard time carrying weight and he'll never be a 250-260 OLB. Can they make that work? Maybe. he was a stud in college, I just wonder if our staff would have concerns of him at 235.

the not sure if this is true comment was to your comment that this is a huge blow for us for the reasons i stated above (him possibly falling and being there when we pick, when it was largely expected he would be off the board). i wasn't questioning his measurements. as i said, it would all be predicated on whether the staff felt he could transition to OLB. which was always the case since i doubt we will be looking to take a 4-3 DE with the #6 pick.