Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Kristian Dyer @KristianRDyer
W/ Ryan Fitzpatrick on roster, #Jets now have had the two highest Wonderlic scores in Combine history on the team. The other? @GVMcElroy

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
If nothing else, even if Fitzpatrick is competing with Geno for the starting spot, having him there in Gailey's system, in the QB meetings and in the film room can only help Geno and another young QB learn.

LIJETFAN

G ~ Mod
Jet Fanatics
i understand being down on geno.

but what makes anyone think matt simms is a better QB?

Simms is not better than Geno, though I think Simms is an interesting player because of arm strength and moxie. He seems like a fiery kid.

The Fitzpatrick signing is fine. He's an upgrade over Vick, particularly because he knows Gailey's offense really well. He's a smart veteran player that will be a nice addition in the QB room I'm sure. He's not the future, but can certainly start in a pinch and win some games.

I too understand being down on Geno. But I also understand the sentiment that the raw talent is there for him to develop. He does have all the tools, no doubt. Very good arm, throws a nice catchable ball, mobile, tough, stands in the pocket and will take a shot. He appears to work hard by all accounts, and his teammates seem to like him. He is just erratic with his accuracy and his decision-making needs to improve a lot. But, physically he has everything you would want. It's the mental part of the game that needs to improve dramatically. He'll need to compete for the job, that's all. And if we draft a QB, he'll need to compete again. I think this is a huge year for Geno. He will either turn the corner, or be relegated to a back up role. This happened with Sanchez too. Either Geno will get over the hump become a solid starter, or he will be limited to a back up role in the league for a while.

F

flgreen

I read somewhere the pick might not be until next year...

Yeah I think that is the case. From what I read, it's a conditional pick that turns into a 6th if Fitz get x amount of playing time.

I'm counting on it being a 6th. Still like the trade, much better having a journeymen, game manager QB, then an abysmal QB

hatnlvr

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
This is a solid trade, we gave up a conditional 7th for 2016 (could be escalated to 6th if playing time markers are hit). Low risk move and we now have a competent (albeit unspectacular) but competent QB with talent around him.

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
why waste our time with garbage?

You mean the last 2 years?
Anything but Geno, at least we bring The Ivy League to the offense
Not crazy bout Fitz but " head " and shoulders over what we have

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Yeah I think that is the case. From what I read, it's a conditional pick that turns into a 6th if Fitz get x amount of playing time.

I'm counting on it being a 6th. Still like the trade, much better having a journeymen, game manager QB, then an abysmal QB
Next year's 7,turns into the 6 if he plays x amount.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
Simms is not better than Geno, though I think Simms is an interesting player because of arm strength and moxie. He seems like a fiery kid.

The Fitzpatrick signing is fine. He's an upgrade over Vick, particularly because he knows Gailey's offense really well. He's a smart veteran player that will be a nice addition in the QB room I'm sure. He's not the future, but can certainly start in a pinch and win some games.

I too understand being down on Geno. But I also understand the sentiment that the raw talent is there for him to develop. He does have all the tools, no doubt. Very good arm, throws a nice catchable ball, mobile, tough, stands in the pocket and will take a shot. He appears to work hard by all accounts, and his teammates seem to like him. He is just erratic with his accuracy and his decision-making needs to improve a lot. But, physically he has everything you would want. It's the mental part of the game that needs to improve dramatically. He'll need to compete for the job, that's all. And if we draft a QB, he'll need to compete again. I think this is a huge year for Geno. He will either turn the corner, or be relegated to a back up role. This happened with Sanchez too. Either Geno will get over the hump become a solid starter, or he will be limited to a back up role in the league for a while.

good post

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
I didn't like the idea when I was under the impression he was a FA and all it would cost us is money, but to trade a draft pick for this guy, any pick, even a conditional 7 in 2016 ... inexplicable.

Thats just not valuing your late round picks and feeling like you can throw them away if you want too.

mykcuz

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Geno shows ability, but I think one factor he will never change, and will prevent him from being a dependable starter, is that he is slow to comprehend real time play progression. His reaction to what's happening around him us the slowest I can remember. If he's in a pocket for 5 seconds, he can look like Montana.

PeterCordi

Day 2 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
The guy has never won more than 6 games in one season at any point in his career. He is 32 years old. Sure he has experience, but I'd rather take our chances on Geno, to be honest. If you get Marshall and Revis, you want to win now, as neither are on the right side of 30. Bringing Fitzpatrick in is a sure way to not make the playoffs, and if you do, lose in the divisional round. It sucks that Foles got traded to the Rams.

Green Jets & Ham

King Of All Draftniks
Jet Fanatics
Geno has more physical talent in his pinky than Fitzpatrick has in his whole body. If Fitzpatrick is our starting QB, I'm getting right to work on studying next years potential TOP 5 Picks, and if he's just a 32 Y.O. Journeyman backup with a weak arm, which is what he is, then I don't see the wisdom in dumping a draft pick, any pick, for this guy.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
I didn't like the idea when I was under the impression he was a FA and all it would cost us is money, but to trade a draft pick for this guy, any pick, even a conditional 7 in 2016 ... inexplicable.

Thats just not valuing your late round picks and feeling like you can throw them away if you want too.

Dude, Are you being serious ? We have two #7 picks next year, and besides Trevor Reilly who I like that we stole in the 7th round last year, can you name a player on the Jets that we stole for a 7th round pick ? Come on man !

Go Jets...Cyborg

TebowCan'tThrow

Supersize!
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Geno has more physical talent in his pinky than Fitzpatrick has in his whole body. If Fitzpatrick is our starting QB, I'm getting right to work at studying next years potential TOP 5 Picks, and if he's just a 32 Y.O. Journeyman backup with a weak arm, which is what he is, then I don't see the wisdom of dumping a draft pick, any pick, for this guy.

9th rated QB vs 29th. Also knows Gailey's offense.

F

flgreen

One of the biggest misconception among football fans is, that when a 30-32 YO QB comes to a team that has a young QB on the roster, they are coming to mentor him.

If the young QB happens to be a top 10 pick, that the team has clearly committed to, that may be true. When the young QB is a 2nd round pick, that was drafted by the guys who were just fired, his bad play being a major contributor to their being fired, and he has been the worst, or very close to the worst QB in the NFL, that is definitely not the case.

Fitz is coming here to strongly compete to be the starter.

Of course the best case scenario is that Smith has a major reversal, and turns into a competent QB. I really have strong doubts if he is capable of that.

Mykcuz is correct. He just doesn't see the whole field, correctly anticipate what is about to happen, and get the ball out quickly, and accurately. Even when he has time he frequently holds the ball way to long , and winds up taking sacks. Mostly because he just doesn't comprehend what he is seeing. Frequently in confusion just throws the ball into contested situations.

I have to disagree with Lijetfan. He doesn't stand in the pocket and take hits. Under pressure, he panics. I don't know how many times I have seen him, instead of just stepping up, taking the sack , throwing the ball away, or running for a few positive yards, totally panic, run away from the line of scrimmage, instead of toward it, and take a monster sack. Or get stripped of the ball. He just doesn't seem to have a franchise QB's mentality.

If Gaily can convert him into a meh QB, instead of one of, if not the worst QB in the league, I'll be happy, for now. I just hate to see all this talent they are assembling go to waste.

IMO Fitz is a much better QB then Smith, and will have a good chance to be a good game manager, and at least make a solid run for the playoffs with all this talent around him now.

What I'm hoping for is Mariota. IMO Gailey is a genuine QB guru. Unfortunately for him he has never had a real talented QB to work with. he has done an excellent job in the past turning chicken shit into chicken soup. I would love to see what he could do with a QB that has genuine big upside. Like Mariota.

Fitz is coming here to try and take Smith's job. I think he will

U

ucrenegade

Geno has more physical talent in his pinky than Fitzpatrick has in his whole body. If Fitzpatrick is our starting QB, I'm getting right to work on studying next years potential TOP 5 Picks, and if he's just a 32 Y.O. Journeyman backup with a weak arm, which is what he is, then I don't see the wisdom of dumping a draft pick, any pick, for this guy.

fitz has more smarts in his ass than geno has in his head.

athletic ability wins in college not so much the nfl

smarts win in the nfl and not needed in college as much.

Machina Verde

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
I am not sure how giving up a conditional 7th rounder is throwing a pick away. He is what he is...a QB that is a step above a journeyman. A QB that will manage the game and not turn over the ball too much and a QB that had a 63% completion percentage in 12 games last year. And a career completion percentage just over 60%

that's worthy of a 7th round pick next year