Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

J

Jet Setter

Understood. Only thing is I believe Mariota is the only rookie I believe can beat Geno and maybe even Fitzgerald out as game one starter. Winston ofcourse could but he's gone to Tampa. The rest of the rookies I doubt it and I will admit I don't know a lot about any of these rookie QBs.

Mariota has never conducted a huddle much less performed drop-steps or snapped under center. Geno would crush him today. Coming out of college, they're about the same guy.
Winston, that's another story. He's ready to play today.
I've seen the other rookies. They suck. Bad. A bad crop of QB's this season much like two years ago. Last year was a very strong QB class. I wouldn't draft any of them this year. Waste of a pick even on the 3rd day.

L

Lakerfan80

The team doesn't have to draft a QB this year. Last year we wasted a pick on a guy who had no chance to make the team even if was just a 6th round comp pick. At least if you draft another position there is a greater chance for that guy to play somewhere. The QB's coming out after the top 2 may be no better than Simms.

J

Jet Setter

The team doesn't have to draft a QB this year. Last year we wasted a pick on a guy who had no chance to make the team even if was just a 6th round comp pick. At least if you draft another position there is a greater chance for that guy to play somewhere. The QB's coming out after the top 2 may be no better than Simms.

Couldn't agree more.

U

ucrenegade

Geno Smith won't have to worry about carrying the New York Jets into the playoffs anymore. Instead, he will only have to worry about carrying a clipboard, as a source told Metro New York that recently acquired quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is viewed by the team as a starting quarterback.

The Jets obtained Fitzpatrick on Wednesday morning in a trade with the Houston Texans, shipping a late round draft pick for a quarterback who has played in 96 NFL games since being drafted in 2005. While Fitzpatrick is far from a top-tier quarterback, he should be good enough to beat out Smith, who has struggled in his two seasons since being a second round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dgb6h?..._medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=new-york-jets

Bigmoe

Happily Confused
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
Geno Smith won't have to worry about carrying the New York Jets into the playoffs anymore. Instead, he will only have to worry about carrying a clipboard, as a source told Metro New York that recently acquired quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is viewed by the team as a starting quarterback.

This is what I want to hear
And as for Geno carrying a clipboard , that's a joke
Will see him with that towel on his head

M

Mainejet

Listen. do not piss on this teams chances at doing something right. Do not ever say the jets are going with Geno or Fitz as their starter. That inevitably becomes a f*cking disaster beause those guys suck. It's no secret one cannot stick with one team and the other in year 3 will likely be riding the bench. They both SUCK.

The only way this works out is for the Jets to draft a franchise QB in the draft. A guy they can start grooming for the job, with the help and presented challenge from two veterans. That's the ONLY way this is a good thing.

U

ucrenegade

Listen. do not piss on this teams chances at doing something right. Do not ever say the jets are going with Geno or Fitz as their starter. That inevitably becomes a f*cking disaster beause those guys suck. It's no secret one cannot stick with one team and the other in year 3 will likely be riding the bench. They both SUCK.

The only way this works out is for the Jets to draft a franchise QB in the draft. A guy they can start grooming for the job, with the help and presented challenge from two veterans. That's the ONLY way this is a good thing.

you underestimate gailey and fitz way to much

NYJETSDAN16

Repeat Offender Pro Bowler
Jet Fanatics
I'am all for Fitzpatrick!! What is fact is that when protected well, he can make all the throws needed to succeed in the NFL.
Macagnan made it a point to solidify this O-Line with experience, especially resigning Willie Colon.
Make no mistake, Fitz can sling it.

He can hold the fort until the Jets can acquire a young QB through the draft this season. Presumably Bryce Petty who comes from a spread offense.

I honestly can't wait to see this guy throwing bullets to our weapons. Utilizing them to their potential instead of them wasting away with that "OTHER" QB on the team.

This has all the makings of VINNY 2.0!

USANYJ

Rookie
Jet Fanatics
I'am all for Fitzpatrick!! What is fact is that when protected well, he can make all the throws needed to succeed in the NFL.
Macagnan made it a point to solidify this O-Line with experience, especially resigning Willie Colon.
Make no mistake, Fitz can sling it.

He can hold the fort until the Jets can acquire a young QB through the draft this season. Presumably Bryce Petty who comes from a spread offense.

I honestly can't wait to see this guy throwing bullets to our weapons. Utilizing them to their potential instead of them wasting away with that "OTHER" QB on the team.

This has all the makings of VINNY 2.0!
I like the move too..it will be nice to have a qb who will protect and be smart with the ball...and if it's Vinny 2.0 that's even better

HYATT™

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Fitzpatrick is a better QB than most fans realize.
At times he's been downright brilliant for stretches, but mostly on teams that really sucked and he either couldn't sustain an entire season of it - like Favre or Rodgers were/are able to - or he got injured because he wasn't protected well enough.

Europe_for_JETS

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
If Fitz is healthy, we'll be AT LEAST very competitive and "in the game" every week. He won't kill us with back-breaking turnovers, but moreover now he has some serious WR weapons (where the arsenal might soon increase even more).

soj

retired Veteran
Jet Fanatics
I'd love Mariota, but only if he makes it to #6 . I wouldn't mortgage everything to get him.

If he's not there, go pass rusher or OL in the first round, or trade down, and take a Petty, Grayson, or Mannion later in the draft.

Agree, I like Petty but any of them - for me at least - is better then watching geno another year.... which may happen bu I seriously doubt it.

JaxJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
If we do get Mariota at #6 it is comforting knowing we dont have to play him right away. Getting Fitz was a grade A move as long as he stays healthy. Which is Mac's job to make sure our line is strong enough to run and throw behind it.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

I can actually see this turning into a pretty good pick up. Those career stats aren't horrible, and this guy has never lined up with as stout as an OL that he is about to line up behind...nor, has he ever had two new age prototypical WR's on the outside & a guy like Kerley at the same time. We also have a good RB tandem.

He's also never been on a team where he routinely plays with a lead. Meaning, a lot of mistakes we've seen him make come when he's fighting to come back. I know he's got no conscience; he'll whip it all over the yard when he has to, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a team where D's have to be honest.

Reminds me of picking up Vinny. By 1998, I thought his story was written, but he wound up showing some veteran presence & talent when surrounded by studs.

This is definitely worth a shot.

BlindsideD'Brick

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

I can actually see this turning into a pretty good pick up. Those career stats aren't horrible, and this guy has never lined up with as stout as an OL that he is about to line up behind...nor, has he ever had two new age prototypical WR's on the outside & a guy like Kerley at the same time. We also have a good RB tandem.

He's also never been on a team where he routinely plays with a lead. Meaning, a lot of mistakes we've seen him make come when he's fighting to come back. I know he's got no conscience; he'll whip it all over the yard when he has to, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a team where D's have to be honest.

Reminds me of picking up Vinny. By 1998, I thought his story was written, but he wound up showing some veteran presence & talent when surrounded by studs.

This is definitely worth a shot.

The Jets didn't have many options. They needed a veteran QB who has had some recent success.

They found that in Fitzpatrick. He was the best option.