Ryan Fitzpatrick Traded to Jets

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
The Jets didn't have many options. They needed a veteran QB who has had some recent success.

They found that in Fitzpatrick. He was the best option.

Yup...he is worth more than a 7th rounder. Had he been cut, he automatically becomes the best FA QB in this year's FA period.

lounap23

Legend
Jet Fanatics
I juts want the best QB to win the job... Whoever he is... With that said I really do get the feeling Fitzpatrick can quite possibly be Vinny 2.0 or Rich Gannon 2.0 and at an age, if he does Rich Gannon it, where he could be the starter here for 4-5 years... I could be wrong but something in my gut says Fitz will be everything we need him to be and maybe a little more

U

ucrenegade

I juts want the best QB to win the job... Whoever he is... With that said I really do get the feeling Fitzpatrick can quite possibly be Vinny 2.0 or Rich Gannon 2.0 and at an age, if he does Rich Gannon it, where he could be the starter here for 4-5 years... I could be wrong but something in my gut says Fitz will be everything we need him to be and maybe a little more

I agree this is prob the best team in all facets except maybe special teams he has ever been on.

cysporsche

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
Thanks, Hob. I started a new job, and it has consumed my life. Good to see you guys too.

Hey Scott, Welcome to this new great Jet site. Are you no longer in Naples with my "Outlaws" ?

Per Fitz, I honestly doubt he beats out Geno as our starter. And most of the Sirius & ESPN guy's feel the same way. IMO our next starting QB is starting for Penn State or Michigan State this season.

Go Jets...Cyborg

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics
Hey Scott, Welcome to this new great Jet site. Are you no longer in Naples with my "Outlaws" ?

Per Fitz, I honestly doubt he beats out Geno as our starter. And most of the Sirius & ESPN guy's feel the same way. IMO our next starting QB is starting for Penn State or Michigan State this season.

Go Jets...Cyborg

Oh yeah! Still in SWFL.

If Geno beats out Fitz, I will GLADLY eat humble pie. I doubt it though! Fitz is a legitimate NFL starter. Geno may be one day...that's the difference. Like I said, if I am wrong, it'll be happily wrong.

"Experts" like to dump on guys not named Brees, Brady and Manning. Fitz's numbers are solid, and with the cast of characters we have, he can have a really nice run here.

Jet Fan RI

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm

I can actually see this turning into a pretty good pick up. Those career stats aren't horrible, and this guy has never lined up with as stout as an OL that he is about to line up behind...nor, has he ever had two new age prototypical WR's on the outside & a guy like Kerley at the same time. We also have a good RB tandem.

He's also never been on a team where he routinely plays with a lead. Meaning, a lot of mistakes we've seen him make come when he's fighting to come back. I know he's got no conscience; he'll whip it all over the yard when he has to, but I wouldn't mind seeing him on a team where D's have to be honest.

Reminds me of picking up Vinny. By 1998, I thought his story was written, but he wound up showing some veteran presence & talent when surrounded by studs.

This is definitely worth a shot.

Even better, Fitz reminds me of when the Raiders picked up Jim Plunkett. The "old man" had been in the league 10 years and had done nothing until then. He then proceeded to win 2 Lombardi's for them. I'd be OK with that. Heck, I'd be OK if Fitz even won us just one Lombardi. :)

U

ucrenegade

Oh yeah! Still in SWFL.

If Geno beats out Fitz, I will GLADLY eat humble pie. I doubt it though! Fitz is a legitimate NFL starter. Geno may be one day...that's the difference. Like I said, if I am wrong, it'll be happily wrong.

"Experts" like to dump on guys not named Brees, Brady and Manning. Fitz's numbers are solid, and with the cast of characters we have, he can have a really nice run here.

before we moved here to va naples and homestead were on our list of places we wanted to move to.

atmorrisjr

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
Oh yeah! Still in SWFL.

Really? I don't have anything against the guy, and I know his numbers are good (but I'm sure you know what I think about THAT already skop :p ) but I just have a real hard time getting excited about the guy. From what I have seen, when I have watched him which admittedly isn't a lot, he appears to be streaky as hell and just flat out blows easy completions sometimes for no apparent reason. Hard to see where he's going to beat out Geno.....assuming Geno brings forward what he was showing in the last few games.

He will put some fire under his arse though, and I guess that's really the point so........

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I'm not sure Fitzpatrick is that exciting.

But both his numbers and the way he has played, last season with the Texans and earlier in his career under Gailey, offer tremendous hope that he can stabilize the QB position. If the rest of the team is in good shape (top defense, good running game) and you have solid receivers, as the Jets do, you aren't asking a QB to do too much. Fitzpatrick has shown he can perform at a level that would make the Jets competitive immediately.

Superman55

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

But both his numbers and the way he has played, last season with the Texans and earlier in his career under Gailey, offer tremendous hope that he can stabilize the QB position. If the rest of the team is in good shape (top defense, good running game) and you have solid receivers, as the Jets do, you aren't asking a QB to do too much. Fitzpatrick has shown he can perform at a level that would make the Jets competitive immediately.

I think we need another RB if we hope to have a top rushing attack. Powell is a nice RB, but nothing "special," IMO. Jets need a RB and a WR with some speed. I don't look at our run game as a top 5 run game as of today. Say what you want about the Bills and Eagles moves, but they have a good chance to be two of the top rushing attacks for sure, IMO, along with Seattle and Steelers look to have very formidable rushing attacks heading into the season.

SackExchange

Jet Fanatic
The Mod Squad
Jet Fanatics
Jets Global
I think we need another RB if we hope to have a top rushing attack. Powell is a nice RB, but nothing "special," IMO. Jets need a RB and a WR with some speed. I don't look at our run game as a top 5 run game as of today. Say what you want about the Bills and Eagles moves, but they have a good chance to be two of the top rushing attacks for sure, IMO, along with Seattle and Steelers look to have very formidable rushing attacks heading into the season.

I kind of agree with you on this. I think a speed back who can catch the ball out of the backfield would be a fine addition. With Gailey, I really thought it would be Spiller. To me, Ivory is a very good power back, and Powell a decent traditional balanced back. I'd rather go with three than two, but if we had two, I'd rather it be Ivory and a speed back. Perhaps in a middle round, as those guys generally are available - and not all of them end up like Joe McKnight.

hobson54

Transition Tagged
Jet Fanatics

i agree that we need to bolster the running game.

also we should keep in mind when looking at our team running stats from last year is that almost 400 yards came from the QB position (geno and vick). if the premise is fitzpatrick is starting, we lose basically all those yards. take away the QB rushing yards and we are about 12th in the league in rushing. and that assumes that they are able to simply replace the 663 yards fro chris johnson. assumedly powell will get some of those yards, but i have a hard time thinking a RB combo of ivory and powell, and without the threat (and yardage) coming from a mobile QB leads to anything close to a top 5 rushing attack. probably not even top 12 in my mind.

skop

The Green Knight
Jet Fanatics

Fitz paired with Stevie Johnson was nerve wracking a Jet fan, and exciting in a bad way at that time. I am taking this move cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

the other thing is that I am not sold on Mariota. I think this is an underwhelming QB draft, and if the move stabilizes to advancing the position w/o paying through the nose for a QB, sign me up.

lastly, if Gurley is there at 6, and we could take him, bc we spent a 7th on Fitz, it just keeps making more sense.

JaxJet

Day 1 Prospect
Jet Fanatics
Fitz paired with Stevie Johnson was nerve wracking a Jet fan, and exciting in a bad way at that time. I am taking this move cautiously optimistic, but optimistic nonetheless.

the other thing is that I am not sold on Mariota. I think this is an underwhelming QB draft, and if the move stabilizes to advancing the position w/o paying through the nose for a QB, sign me up.

lastly, if Gurley is there at 6, and we could take him, bc we spent a 7th on Fitz, it just keeps making more sense.

I pray the Jets do not take Gurley with the 6th pick in the draft.

OCCH

Pro Bowl 1st Team
Jet Fanatics
i agree that we need to bolster the running game.

also we should keep in mind when looking at our team running stats from last year is that almost 400 yards came from the QB position (geno and vick). if the premise is fitzpatrick is starting, we lose basically all those yards. take away the QB rushing yards and we are about 12th in the league in rushing. and that assumes that they are able to simply replace the 663 yards fro chris johnson. assumedly powell will get some of those yards, but i have a hard time thinking a RB combo of ivory and powell, and without the threat (and yardage) coming from a mobile QB leads to anything close to a top 5 rushing attack. probably not even top 12 in my mind.

But we have to assume the QB rushing yards that we lose will be more than replaced by QB passing yards, which in turn will open things up for whoever ends up running the ball.

If teams don't put 9 in the box like last year, our running game will improve by default . . .

Football51

Franchise Tagged
Jet Fanatics

Skop, glad you made it over.